KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Can Darth Nihilus drain a planet without orbital bombardment?

Can Darth Nihilus drain a planet without orbital bombardment?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes, he can 18 66.67%
No, he can't 8 29.63%
I'm not sure, tbh. 1 3.70%
Total: 27 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Can Darth Nihilus drain a planet without orbital bombardment?
Started by: Deronn_solo

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Deronn_solo
Prep doesn't necessarily mean arial bombardment, lmao.

Which is why in my post, I said "prep", not "aerial bombardment". I deliberately left it up to your interpretation.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 10:46 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Fair enough.

I just think it's an incredible stretch, that Nihilus would kill a massive chunk of the populace before draining what's left of it, with that nugget of detail is never explicitly stated by a single source ever to boot --- and the only piece of evidence suggesting this in canon can, and has been interpreted in different ways.

It's also worth noting that sources have indicated Nihilus can devastate, and consume worlds with his power, the "and" separating the devastation from consume, assuring that the latter doesn't make the definition and implication the former mutually exclusive.

Last edited by Deronn Solo on Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:00 AM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

I'd imagine killing them would make it easier for him to suck up the Life Force, tbh. I mean, it's basic Dark Sider stuff to feed off of the death of other beings by sapping their unprotected Life Force.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:06 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Selenial
I Choose Violence

I'm surprised no ones brought up Ziost yet, Vitiate needed a massive loss of life before having the ability to drain the rest. When a being dies, it's life energies seem easier to drain.

I'm not saying Nihilus needs that, but it certainly does make sense.

"i admire u choose cersei as ur avi sel. at least u know that ur one sick *****, i can respect that" - Inturpid.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:07 AM
Click here to Send Selenial a Private Message Find more posts by Selenial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Originally posted by MythLord
I'd imagine killing them would make it easier for him to suck up the Life Force, tbh. I mean, it's basic Dark Sider stuff to feed off of the death of other beings by sapping their unprotected Life Force.

That's fair, but why would that detail never be elucidated on in canon? Like, literally numerous other source has just draining the planet with a thought, lal.

I mean it's still highly impressive regardless of bombardment or not.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:11 AM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

That's fair, but why would that detail never be elucidated on in canon? Like, literally numerous other source has just draining the planet with a thought, lal.

I mean it's still highly impressive regardless of bombardment or not.

Those sources are subjective, IIRC. Or are internet blogs which we know aren't canon, anyways.

And TCSWE did kinda shed light on it, but obviously, bombardment or not, it shows a great deal of range and power for Nihilus. Nobody's disputing that -- I just don't think Drain can topple buildings, lol.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:17 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

I know may sound reaching but just because he can drain the planet with a "thought" doesn't mean the draining itself happened at the speed of a thought.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:24 AM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

quote:
Those sources are subjective, IIRC. Or are internet blogs which weknow aren't canon, anyways.

Nah. Power Beyond Belief states such, and it is officially released by Wizard of the Coast as supplement information to the role playing game. So, no different from what's in a sourcebook.

quote:
And TCSWE did kinda shed light on it

It gave us an ambiguous quote that can be interpreted in numerous ways. I'm looking for somethinc more.....cut and dry. A Nihilus wanker can make the claim the Sith Lord himself "ruin" to the planet with his Force power, kek.

Last edited by Deronn Solo on Dec 9th, 2016 at 11:39 AM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:26 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Selenial
I'm surprised no ones brought up Ziost yet, Vitiate needed a massive loss of life before having the ability to drain the rest. When a being dies, it's life energies seem easier to drain.

I'm not saying Nihilus needs that, but it certainly does make sense.
Where Vitiate's drain destroyed buildings yeah. smile

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:31 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Fair enough.

I just think it's an incredible stretch, that Nihilus would kill a massive chunk of the populace before draining what's left of it, with that nugget of detail is never explicitly stated by a single source ever to boot --- and the only piece of evidence suggesting this in canon can, and has been interpreted in different ways.

It's also worth noting that sources have indicated Nihilus can devastate, and consume worlds with his power, the "and" separating the devastation from consume, assuring that the latter doesn't make the definition and implication the former mutually exclusive.

It's not just one source, though. KotOR II itself shows the only on-panel depiction of an opportunity for Nihilus to do the same thing during the Battle of Telos IV - and he doesn't. Clearly there's more to it than him showing up, willing the death of all life on the planet, and then moving along.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:48 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

I was referring to the orbital bombardment Nova, not the prep part, or whatever.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 11:56 AM
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

The suggestion of orbital bombardment is an absolute crock of shit and suggests not only dangerous ignorance on the part of the believer but also blindness because anyone can watch Unseen, Unheard and plainly see what happened.

All in all, a complete failure of an argument not worth the time to even consider.

He blasted the worlds into ruin with his force attack you morons.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 12:21 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

Nah. Power Beyond Belief states such, and it is officially released by Wizard of the Coast as supplement information to the role playing game. So, no different from that's in a sourcebook.

smile smile smile

The most cancur source ever smile

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 03:38 PM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Fair enough.

I made a case for it back in the day, if you care to try and find it. Part of my explanation was that Nihilus was feeding on the life energies that were expunged at the moment of death, as expanded upon in Darth Plagueis and KOTOR2, rather than causing the deaths himself.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 03:52 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

We see that that isn't how the technique works when he and Traya use it.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 04:11 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Huh? That's nonsense. Traya's technique severs her target's connection to the Force, and then feeds on their resultant death--that's how she told the Exile it works...

Well, whatever. I've long lost interest in this subject and have no particular drive to investigate further into how Nihilus does what he does, nor am I interested in defending an ancient argument. I only responded to explain the stance as I understand it to Deronn, who seemed confused.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 05:43 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Indeed, the technique itself causes death. Theres no need for him to have to kill them first before doing it when the technique already causes death. If he can use it on the people in the first place to feed on their deaths as you say, they'd die regardless. No need for a bombardment.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 05:47 PM
MythLord
Diamond

Nah. Power Beyond Belief states such, and it is officially released by Wizard of the Coast as supplement information to the role playing game. So, no different from what's in a sourcebook.

That's a web-enhancement/blog(which already has dubious canonicity) from Wizards of the Coast... The same people who think Bastila ~ Dooku ~ Kenobi, and Malak is "far more powerful" than Exar Kun because he has a metal jaw...

It gave us an ambiguous quote that can be interpreted in numerous ways. I'm looking for somethinc more.....cut and dry. A Nihilus wanker can make the claim the Sith Lord himself "ruin" to the planet with his Force power, kek.

I mean, it seems cut-and-dry enough since he's drawing(draining) power from worlds he "blasted into ruin". Drain doesn't it cause buildings to crumble, nor does it cause explosions since both Force Drain and Drain Life only target the metaphysical -- life essence and Force connection.

I'd assume you can argue Nihilus has planetary level TK, but that's too far fetched.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 07:41 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

quote:
That's a web-enhancement/blog(which already has dubious canonicity) from Wizards of the Coast... The same people who think Bastila ~ Dooku ~ Kenobi, and Malak is "far more powerful" than Exar Kun because he has a metal jaw/

Yeah, WotC, a license-holder to publish Star Wars related works, lal. I see no reason why it wouldn't be canon. The Bastila thing only pertained to the RPG game mechanics, and the Malak > Kun thing doesn't invalidate anything. I can scan through encyclopedia and find multiple objectively incorrect information.

quote:
I mean, it seems cut-and-dry enough since he's drawing(draining) power from worlds he "blasted into ruin".

As I said before, one can claim Nihilus ruined the planet with his strength in the dark side. The quote never specifically mentioned the ship[s] bombarding anything. That just a conclusion some read, and came up with.

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 07:56 PM
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I made a case for it back in the day, if you care to try and find it. Part of my explanation was that Nihilus was feeding on the life energies that were expunged at the moment of death, as expanded upon in Darth Plagueis and KOTOR2, rather than causing the deaths himself.

Interesting. Do you remember what thread you made the case on?
Originally posted by Emperordmb
smile smile smile

The most cancur source ever smile

I used some of their sources for my Kyle Katarn arguments back in the day, so I'm not gonna be hypocritical and ignore it here. xD

Last edited by Deronn Solo on Dec 9th, 2016 at 08:01 PM

Old Post Dec 9th, 2016 07:58 PM