KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Games that haven't aged well.

Games that haven't aged well.
Started by: VG_Addict

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
VG_Addict

Games that haven't aged well.

What are some games that were great for their time, or that you loved as a kid, but have aged poorly?

Old Post Dec 10th, 2016 08:03 PM
VG_Addict is currently offline Click here to Send VG_Addict a Private Message Find more posts by VG_Addict Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

One could argue Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Even the Goldeneye Reloaded and 007 Legends games abandoned its gameplay mechanics for those of the Call of Duty variety

Old Post Dec 10th, 2016 09:04 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

A lot of Genesis games, tbh.

Beyond Oasis is one good example. Big 16 bit graphics, awesome monsters, beat 'em up mechanics..

Awkward movements, a "trying too hard to be edgy" air about it. It's just not as timeless as the Zelda's. Like comparing Disney to Action Park. Or Pixar to Dreamworks.

Same deal with Sonic to Mario. Sonic's a perfectly good platformer, but hasn't aged nearly as well as Super Mario World..

Not saying Sega games were BAD, per say. They weren't. It's just, they were trying to beat Nintendo while Nintendo was just trying to outdo themselves, and it shows.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2016 09:41 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dante158
The Soul Stealer

First Person Shooter i guess

Old Post Dec 10th, 2016 10:04 PM
Dante158 is currently offline Click here to Send Dante158 a Private Message Find more posts by Dante158 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

quote: (post)
Originally posted by John Murdoch
One could argue Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Even the Goldeneye Reloaded and 007 Legends games abandoned its gameplay mechanics for those of the Call of Duty variety

Aye. Goldeneye did sadly, age bad. Recently though, there was plenty footage shown of the cancelled port of it for XBL arcade (just look on youtube) with much better visuals and everything. Shame that game has to be in copyright hell. One major thing about Goldeneye I will say stands the test of time however, is the music.

Old Post Dec 10th, 2016 11:23 PM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Aye. Goldeneye did sadly, age bad. Recently though, there was plenty footage shown of the cancelled port of it for XBL arcade (just look on youtube) with much better visuals and everything. Shame that game has to be in copyright hell. One major thing about Goldeneye I will say stands the test of time however, is the music.

I will have to take a gander, Ridley. Goldeneye and then Perfect Dark are pretty much responsible for getting into any shooter games down the line in my life, so I'm interested.

That music is instantly recognizable and timeless for sure.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2016 12:53 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Old Post Dec 11th, 2016 06:21 AM
Ridley_Prime is online now! Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Seems to come back to personal tastes this topic.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2016 09:04 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I love N64, but most of its games have aged pretty poorly, not true for all, but most.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 09:25 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

It was the introduction to the transition from 2D to 3D era of gaming, so what'd ya expect?

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 09:38 AM
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
It was the introduction to the transition from 2D to 3D era of gaming, so what'd ya expect?

Indeed. thumb up

Some games have aged very well though, I can play Mario 64 today, and enjoy it as much as I did then.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 10:00 AM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

The Silent Hill games and old REs, though I still love them

Luckily, RE7 will be the perfect evolution of the old gameplay

PWNT

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 09:18 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

(please log in to view the image)

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 11:38 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

laughing out loud

Old Post Dec 15th, 2016 11:48 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Shadow of Colossus certainly hasn't aged well. At least, the PS2 version hasn't.

And before anyone says "duh, PS2", God of War II STILL looks awesome to this day. Remember, that PS2 game was big news DURING the 360 era.

Lots of other games aged pretty gracefully, if not as.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 12:17 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Arachnid1

thumb up

i was okay with the tank like control's too.

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 06:10 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Arachnid1

Luckily, RE7 will be the perfect evolution of the old gameplay

Can't say I agree tbh, at least not completely, but that's me.

Unless we're talking just graphics, which of course have aged horribly.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 10:37 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

RE 1, 2, Silent hill 1, 3 and especially 2 are still masterpieces in my book.

I'll go ahead and say Digimon 2003. As a kid I loved it but tried playing it on my phone last year and couldn't stomach the ****ing grind.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Last edited by Adam Grimes on Dec 16th, 2016 at 01:26 PM

Old Post Dec 16th, 2016 01:23 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Dungeon crawlers, like Shining in the Darkness, and the first few Phantasy Stars, where you're lost without a map.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:03 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by cdtm
Dungeon crawlers, like Shining in the Darkness, and the first few Phantasy Stars, where you're lost without a map.

Legend of Grimrock says otherwise.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:25 AM