KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Episode VIII

Episode VIII
Started by: Rebel95

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rebel95

Episode VIII

Well, Rogue One is out now and it was pretty good. Now the wait begins for episode 8. Thought I'd make this thread for the upcoming Star Wars movie, including thoughts, theories, and general discussion. We've got a little under a year to go!

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 04:07 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

It was directed and written by Rian Johnson, the man who directed Looper and three episodes of Breaking Bad, including "Fly" and "Ozymandias."

And Benicio del Toro is a villain.

Last edited by Lord Lucien on Dec 27th, 2016 at 05:12 AM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 05:08 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

I suddenly have much more confidence in Episode 8 after this:

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2016/...requel-trilogy/

Now this hardly makes him a Prequelist starting out with: "Devil's advocate" and using the words "kids story", but it's still far and beyond any kind of positive acknowledgment JJ would have ever given the Prequels when he was making Ep.7, and nice to see Rian can appreciate the good in those movies and probably accept them as an important part of the Canon while making his contribution to the franchise.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 01:11 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Can't wait.. I love Star Wars .. I have enjoyed all 7 films

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 07:38 PM
Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

I want Episode VIII to go a different direction and provide something new to the series. TFA and R1 both hung onto the nostalgia factor a tremendous deal. Can't say I didn't enjoy that tremendously, but I want some growth.

I wonder how Carrie Fisher's passing will affect Episode VIII and IX.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 08:07 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I suddenly have much more confidence in Episode 8 after this:

http://comicbook.com/starwars/2016/...requel-trilogy/
Uh-oh, suddenly I have a lot less.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 08:52 PM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by REXXXX

Ep8 finished filming around July.

Ep9, I imagine they'll just CGI her like they did in R1, but obviously as her older self.

edit: Unless her character is killed off in ep8

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Dec 27th, 2016 at 09:03 PM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 08:59 PM
Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I hope they do away with the oldies, except maybe for Luke. After all, this trilogy is about the new generation. Not the old. I agree with Rexxxx, we've had enough callback and old characters, for five movies in a row now... Time for a new age for Star Wars,.

Nevertheless, Fisher's demise is a great loss. Guess I will buy her new book now...

Last edited by queeq on Dec 28th, 2016 at 08:38 AM

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 09:50 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by REXXXX
I want Episode VIII to go a different direction and provide something new to the series. TFA and R1 both hung onto the nostalgia factor a tremendous deal. Can't say I didn't enjoy that tremendously, but I want some growth.

I like the nostalgia as long as they do something different, and the main characters are new characters. Then when someone like Vader or Tarkin shows up it's just a bonus nostalgic gift. Which is why I really enjoyed R1 and the first season of Rebels.

As for Carrie, Ep.8 was already finished filming. If Leia survived that film, then I'm sure they can just write her off in a respectful way. She didn't actually have a particularly large role in Ep.7.

Old Post Dec 27th, 2016 10:18 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

True, her role in TFA wasn't massive, but since her son is a main villain and Luke is returning, I thought it might increase. I guess we'll see how they choose to handle it.

I definitely enjoy the nostalgia, though. Really enjoyed slipping Tarkin into R1.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 03:10 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I've had enough of the nostalgia. By now it makes the SW universe very small.

And Leia kinda serves the purpose of OB1 in the second half of ANH: there's nothing really for her to do. So I think with TFA and Episode VIII we have a very respectful goodbye to the great Carrie Fisher... She deserves it.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 08:40 AM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

To be fair, it is a small universe. It's one family going around being the centre of attention on a handful of planets that all have one environment each.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 08:44 AM
queeq
Chaos

Well, yeah.... and no. The story can be small... in fact SHOULD be small. Doesn't mean the world they live in should be small.

It was thinking about these (by now) endless references to the OT. We had them in the PT, we had them in TFA and now in R1. In the OT - in every movie we did not only see new worlds/planets, but we also ran into new characters (that were more than just a face and a suit) and into new creatures and new situations.

Basically from TPM we run into new worlds, new creatures, but mosltly the same people. So new make-up, no really new content.

Major new characters (TFA excluded though):
- Padme Amidala - boring, flat
- Maul - looks great, but no more
- Neimodians - meh
- QGJ - boring, emotionless guy with dubious morals
- Mace Windu - boring
- Ki Adi Mundi - boring
- Jango Fett - not really a new character, he's Boba Fett
- Dex Dexter, let's skip that
- Dooku - interesting, but heavily underused
- most of the R1 cast: bland, boring, flat, irrelevant (Saw Gerrara), uninteresting plus they all die but we didn't care very much anyway.

In the OT we had really great additions, new characters with development:

ESB
- Lando Calrissian
- Yoda
- even the Imperial commanders were interesting (Ozzel, Piett, Needa)

ROTJ
- Jabba the Hutt
- Ewoks - childish but had more to them than Neimodians IMHO
- Palpatine

TFA is the only non-OT movie that had some interesting characters again. It lacked on story, but hopefully that will come in the next two. If it's all gonna be like R1, then I am losing hope in my beloved franchise.

That is why I am saying: drop the nostalgia act, come up with something new. TFA certainly started something new:
- Rey
- Finn
- BB-8
- Kylo Ren
- Snoke

That's the characters that they should follow, and add some new ones! New characters, new experiences. Not just new designs.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 09:10 AM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
Can't wait.. I love Star Wars .. I have enjoyed all 7 films
Which one didn't you like?

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 10:05 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Which one didn't you like?

LOL

Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Uh-oh, suddenly I have a lot less.

Don't worry, he only defended them a little.

Could be due to some Prequel connection in Ep.8. Perhaps Hayden Christenson back as Anakin's ghost eek!

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 12:14 PM
coolmovies

Originally posted by queeq
I hope they do away with the oldies, except maybe for Luke. After all, this trilogy is about the new generation. Not the old. I agree with Rexxxx, we've had enough callback and old characters, for five movies in a row now... Time for a new age for Star Wars,.

Nevertheless, Fisher's demise is a great loss. Guess I will buy her new book now...

Thats why everyone went to see TFA just to see Luke Leia Han and chiew. If it was someone new i wouldet care thats why star wars is special

Star Wars: Episode VIII Already Finished Filming, and Carrie Fisher “Had a Larger Role” as General Organa

http://www.themarysue.com/episode-viii-carrie-fisher/

Last edited by coolmovies on Dec 28th, 2016 at 01:29 PM

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 01:23 PM
Click here to Send coolmovies a Private Message Find more posts by coolmovies Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Darth Thor
LOL

Well Technically there is 9 Star Wars films released theatrically, he said he only liked 7.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 02:32 PM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Well Technically there is 9 Star Wars films released theatrically, he said he only liked 7.

I know. But we generally don't include TCW movie. And he obviously made a mistke saying all 7 films, forgetting R1 makes it 8.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 03:06 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Well Clone Wars was canon and released worldwide theatrically.

I count it.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 03:56 PM
Darth Thor

Well Clone Wars was canon and released worldwide theatrically.

I count it.

I prefer not to count it Lol

Wasn't marketed anywhere close to the way a live action film would be. I just see it as the first episode of TCW Series.

Old Post Dec 28th, 2016 04:38 PM