KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Can RotS Palpatine speedblitz Darth Plagueis?

Can RotS Palpatine speedblitz Darth Plagueis?
Started by: Azronger

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Leave it to Azronger to argue Maul legitimately challenged TPM Palpatine, but then argue that TPM Palpatine is infinitely more powerful than Valkorion.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:36 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Not infinitely, just solidly.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:39 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Except TCW was part of the EU before the Disney split, so that's bullshit.

TCW always ignored the EU though. So there was massive loads of contradictions at that time which was addressed by TCW taking priority because it was a higher level of canon.

So can't mix and match them as equal pieces of evidence. Never could.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:46 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

EU contradicts itself, too, lmao.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:52 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Azronger
Only some bits are from Maul's perspective. Sidious barely missed the first blow from Maul's lightsaber, an upward swing that aimed to rip Sidious in half. and Sidious raised his lightsaber to parry the next move, which was so powerful it made him stagger backward. for instance, are not. And the Dark Side Sourcebook certainly is not, so that whole point is moot.

And I'm pretty sure Mace was pressing Palpatine way harder than Maul ever was, being his equal and all, yet he was stated - or at least implied - to be able to fight Mace forever, so it would be an accurate deduction to say that he had only begun to tap into his reserves when the duel concluded. Does that mean he was holding back and capable of insta-stomping Mace via speedblitz any time he wanted? I doubt that. I don't see why Maul's case would be any different. He had only begun to tap into his reserves in the sense that he was not even close to exhaustion, not in the sense that he was holding back in speed or anything like that.

And the Dark Side sourcebook, IMO, puts this debate to rest. It literally states Maul nearly bested Sidious, and that Sidious was struggling to deflect his blows. Those are facts.
Considering Mace never pressed Sidious to such an extreme that Maul appeared to, I'd rather think that comparison is irrelevant.

On the other hand if Maul was legitimately overpowering Sidious in that engagement, the latter would have been pressed to draw deeply on his reserves, but he wasn't, so he wasn't.* That simple.

And the Dark Side Sourcebook doesn't say anything contradictory, that Maul nearly bested Sidious is true, and self-evident from the text, what we are disputing is whether or not Sidious allowed that to occur by not properly drawing on the Force, which he did.

*and yes, considering at the moment before Maul is beaten, Sidious essentially appears to vanish, he was absolutely holding back in speed, or something like that.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Jan 16th, 2017 at 08:58 PM

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 08:53 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

The whole "fighting forever" is just another example of Matthew's hyperbolic writting. And the entire fight was just Mace and Sidious redirecting Dark Side energy at each other, so in theory they could keep channeling that indefinitely; nothing of the sort occurs in the Maul fight.

Additionally, your argument points to Sidious as of RotS being astronomically greater than TPM Sidious, so comparing their respective stamina is rather contradictory to begin with.

Beni countered the rest adequately.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 09:03 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

tpm maul>valkorian

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 09:08 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

This thread simultaneously made me erect and gave me an aneurysm.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 09:56 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Unbowed

For whatever it's worth, Plagueis was amazed by pre-TPM Maul's speed.

Also I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious here, but the fact that Sidious can quickly overpower Maul when he gets serious doesn't mean he isn't legitimately achallenged by Maul's offense.

It just means Maul is better at attacking than at defending, which makes sense given his personality and the fact that he uses Juyo.

To use a boxing analogy, you can hit as hard as your opponent but if you have a glass jaw and he doesn't, you're going to lose.

An unrestrained Maul with a rage amp can almost overpower Sidious' defenses, but he can't come even close to defending himself from that same caliber of attack.

In my own headcanon Maul only lost because of the limitations of his mechanical legs.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 10:32 PM
Click here to Send Unbowed a Private Message Find more posts by Unbowed Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

I don't have time to read all of the OP, so can someone just summarize the points? I should know what the evidence is for most of the points anyway.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:11 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Azronger
EU contradicts itself, too, lmao.

And then people wonder why it was thrown out of canon lmao

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:19 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

What doesn't have contradictions these days?

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:21 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

It's not so much about contradictions as it is about having a decent level of consistency.

And Legends just never was very consistent with Canon.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:22 PM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Ok I'm out of work. So lemme tell you how this argument fails.

You're saying that Sheev can blitz a Plagueis Tier opponent. Firstly, you have to prove that Maul is close to Plagueis in every way. Which you haven't. FYI, I hate Plagueis, he's overrated, but even I gotta admit that calling Maul an equal to Plagueis is reaching.

Saying he even pushed Sheev back is baffling too. Tbfh

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:30 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Why would Maul need to be close to Plagueis in every way? It seems like he'd only need to be close in speed tbh.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2017 11:56 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by SunRazer
I don't have time to read all of the OP, so can someone just summarize the points? I should know what the evidence is for most of the points anyway.

-tpm sidious, who was almost killed dueling wise by an enraged maul, matches plagueis speed wise.
-tcw sidious blitzed an enraged maul in shadow conpiracy
-sidious can blitz plagueis tier opponenta

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 12:00 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

so since fisto didn't get outright blitzed by sidious, he's faster than plagueis?

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 12:02 AM
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Darth Thor
It's not so much about contradictions as it is about having a decent level of consistency.

And Legends just never was very consistent with Canon.

Meh I never really noticed any huge inconsistencies, but perhaps I just haven't read enough novels or comics to notice. That and I could have also just forgotten, haven't really read much SW material lately unless I'm asked for info.

But there is certain glaring inconsistencies with trying to put TCW in the Legends bracket, even moreso now that it's Canon, which is why I just treat it as the latter except for very, very selective things which actually can fit within Legends and aren't much of a stretch.

Last edited by Zenwolf on Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:21 AM

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 12:15 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

The fact that Sidious can gradually beat Maul and Opress at once isn't adequate grounds to say he can speedblitz Darth Plagueis.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 12:41 AM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Considering Mace never pressed Sidious to such an extreme that Maul appeared to, I'd rather think that comparison is irrelevant.

Fair enough on Mace not pushing Sidious as hard as Maul, but that wasn't the point. You said that Sidious didn't tire because the Kursid were fodder. Mace is far from fodder, yet he could've fought for a really, really long time without exhaustion setting in. That proves your claim wrong.

quote:
On the other hand if Maul was legitimately overpowering Sidious in that engagement, the latter would have been pressed to draw deeply on his reserves, but he wasn't, so he wasn't.* That simple.

According to whom? As I said, the "had only begun to tap into his reserves" is in regards to Sidious' stamina. It would be perfectly accurate to say Sidious had only begun to tap into his reserves during the conclusion of the Mace fight, even though Mace legitimately pressed him pretty hard. The same applies to the Maul fight.

quote:
And the Dark Side Sourcebook doesn't say anything contradictory, that Maul nearly bested Sidious is true, and self-evident from the text, what we are disputing is whether or not Sidious allowed that to occur by not properly drawing on the Force, which he did.

Yeah, and there's no evidence Sidious didn't draw deeply on the Force, so whether Sidious allowed Maul to win or not is unknown.

Also, you failed to address the "barely deflected them all part", which should be a pretty conclusive statement. If you're holding back a gargantuan amount, you don't "barely" succeed at something; you pass with flying colors. The statement only makes sense if Sidious was going all-out.

quote:
*and yes, considering at the moment before Maul is beaten, Sidious essentially appears to vanish, he was absolutely holding back in speed, or something like that.

Not sure what you're talking about here. He appeared to vanish before Maul even got his rage amp, so that's irrelevant.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2017 03:46 PM