KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Gamestop shares/sales down

Gamestop shares/sales down
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

Everything you bought on the original Xbox became inaccessible once the servers shut down. Odds are, the 360 and PS3 servers won't run forever, either.

Steam works because it's persistent, and probably won't be shutting down any time soon.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 03:27 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Considering how quick Nintendo was to pull the plug on the Wii's online servers (and presumably the Wii U's as well once the Switch is out for a little while), I do still have to give them credit at least for keeping the 360/PS3 servers around this long, especially when everyone has well transitioned to current gen by now...

But yeah.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 03:47 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's bullshit. Servers for online play...yes, that's true.

But for online purchases, MS Xbox store will be valid for a very long time. Xbox 360 servers are most likely the same servers/cloud infrastructure that Xbox One and Azure uses.

Steam and Xbox Live are probably in the same boat.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 04:01 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Smasandian
That's bullshit. Servers for online play...yes, that's true.

But for online purchases, MS Xbox store will be valid for a very long time. Xbox 360 servers are most likely the same servers/cloud infrastructure that Xbox One and Azure uses.

Steam and Xbox Live are probably in the same boat.
This.

Microsoft has also already said you're not going to lose your game library ever again. Every console upgrade will still play XB1 games starting with the Scorpio. This isn't something Xbox One owners are going to have to worry about anymore.

PWNT

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 04:41 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I do still have to give them credit at least for keeping the 360/PS3 servers around this long, especially when everyone has well transitioned to current gen by now...

But yeah.

Doesn't mean you still can't occasionally still use those previous consoles.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 07:21 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Originally posted by Arachnid1
This.

Microsoft has also already said you're not going to lose your game library ever again. Every console upgrade will still play XB1 games starting with the Scorpio. This isn't something Xbox One owners are going to have to worry about anymore.

Yes. The licenses reside on Xbox Live and I'm guessing there is a huge amount of licenses servers that host that information.

As long as Microsoft uses the same protocols they have been using for previous consoles, it will be fine unless Microsoft completely goes under and nobody buys those licenses and infrastructure. However, if Steam gets a pass regarding online purchases, I have no idea why people are worried about Microsoft. Look at Valve, currently, they are a private corporation that makes the majority of their money from Steam. The network could always take a hit from other storefronts and they are already losing diehard Valve friends based on their recent development track record.

In the end, it doesn't really make a difference if you lose your license keys. I would say 10 years from now, only 5%-10% of peoples collection will get replayed and most likely that consumer would have bought that title again.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 05:56 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Gamestop couldn't exist forever. Personally I haven't shopped there in about 4 years or so. I either buy digitally or I purchase games on Amazon since I am a Prime member and you get games for something like 20% off for the first couple weeks if you have Prime.

On the one hand, it's nice having Gamestops around because they offer convenience. If there's something I want right now, I can drive a block and pick it up. On the other hand, they utilize shady and obnoxious business practices much like Blockbuster used to, rather than enhance the customer service model to try and create a sense of community and comradery with their customers.

Overall I'll be glad when they're gone I guess, their used game market hurts the business and the people who make the games, and the way they pressure their employees to push crap on customers is not something that should continue.

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 10:50 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

My honest opinion is that ALL physical media of movies and video games will be obsolete in the next twenty years and will be downloadable only.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Feb 21st, 2017 11:14 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I probably won't be gaming by then, assuming I'm even alive.

If I was twenty years younger, I'd keep my physical stuff in this digital future though. Part of the reason I still play a PS2 (Aside from the great game library that stands the test of time) is the reliability. No software updates, no internet connection required, no password checks, no waiting for a gamertag to load. No lizard squad scriptkiddies ruining a holiday weekend.

And once Steams long dead and buried (Nothing online lasts forever), there should still be some working PS2 hardware and media to use.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2017 01:14 AM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

That's assuming your 37 year old PS2 hardware will last that long.......because those are not infinite.

In 20 years, there will be a way to play those games and most likely free and streamed through the Internet.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2017 02:18 AM
cdtm

You can play 37 year old hardware now. A recent game epo had Intellivision II's and 2600's.

Hell, you can get unrefurbished stuff from the 1940's that still works. Maybe Xbox's or Gamecubes will be hard to find, but one of the the most popular and mass produced consoles ever made will be available as long as gaming exists.

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2017 02:25 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Those didn't have optical drives and other more advanced components that the PS2 does.

You might be right but I will put my money on everything be available on the Internet than a 40 year old machine that wasn't the most durable piece of hardware to begin with. In 20 years, they're might not be TV's......

Old Post Feb 22nd, 2017 04:55 AM
Arachnid1

PWNT

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 09:25 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote