KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Which film do you want to win for Best Picture on Sunday?

What should win Picture?
This poll is closed.
Arrival 1 7.69%
Fences 0 0%
Hacksaw Ridge 5 38.46%
Hell or High Water 6 46.15%
Hidden Figures 1 7.69%
La La Land 0 0%
Lion 0 0%
Manchester by the Sea 0 0%
Moonlight 0 0%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Which film do you want to win for Best Picture on Sunday?
Started by: Jake2TheJakenin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Oh, now they're changing it.. Moonlight.

Well that one was just as bad to me. Maybe even worse..

Fu#k the Oscars even more.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 05:19 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Moonlight has a stellar first act and a good second act when he was a teen adapting to his sexuality and dealing with the pressures of his emerging identity. The films payoff a the end sucked (I mean he goes all the way to mee the dude who jacked him off) to go cry on his shoulder? lmao. For what it's worth the moments with Mahershala Ali were great, the Boys upbringing was well written, and he lady that plays his mom performed well.

But the fact that they only casually bring up his father figure once in the 2nd act almost passively (They mention he died), forced the by to unrealistically forgive his mom for being an addict ****, and gloss over Ali's character and his girlfriend entirely in the 3rd act, on top of the older Male character being mediocre lessened the movies score in comparison to Hell or High water, Nocturnal Animals, Hacksaw Ridge, and Arrival to me for best picture.

It's a good film and the father son moments/his childhood were good to see but let's face it only won best picture because these people are virtually signaling ****s. The fact that that the lead is a gay Black male is icing on the cake for the Lefties that wanted the Awards to play Affirmative action to these types of pressures, Everyone remember #Oscarsowhite. It's a shame because there are tons of African American films in the past that got shafted, but this wins because of the political climate and vehement lobbying from political hacks

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 05:44 AM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Nothing but a political win. Hacksaw Ridge, La La Land and Arrival were all better imo.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 06:09 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I pretty much agree, carthage.

Over the last few years I got used to films that really deserved the award, films that were damn near perfect, about as close as you can get to perfection. Look at the last few years: Spotlight, Birdman, 12 Years a Slave. All phenomenal films that were extraordinary in their own ways. To me Hacksaw Ridge and Hidden Figures were in that league. Even Arrival and Manchester are in that league. Moonlight absolutely was not, especially with such an anti-climactic third act. With a better third act, maybe, but it was just boring.

Really wish they'd leave politics out of it and pick the most deserving film.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2017 02:22 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

The Academy died to me when Chris Nolan didn't get Best Director/Picture nom for Inception.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to comment on this year's pics:

- Hacksaw Ridge was my #1 most anticipated movie of 2016. Got busy with personal business and never could see it.
- Really want to see Hell or High Water.
- Prisoners was one of my top films for 2013, and Sicario is tied with Mad Max: Fury Road for my top film of 2015, so anything Denis Vellinueve directs I'll see, that include Arrival.
- Denzel is one of if not my favorite actor, so I'm sure I'd enjoy Fences. Very dialogue/acting driven movie, correct?
- I wouldn't mind seeing Lion, La La Land, or Hidden Figures.
- Agreeing with Carthage above, I'll see Moonlight if it's a film that puts a gay character or gay characters in the heart of a well-made movie (Kiss of the Spider Woman and Philadelphia come to mind for me in this regard. Kiss of the Spider Woman is a masterpiece if I remember it correctly; William Hurt gives the performance of a lifetime). Sadly, it seems it won due to the Oscar-special political stuff: gay minority based on play that was based on real life story. You combine that with good direction and a strong male performance (in this case, Mahershala Ali) = boom, Oscar win.
- I've already seen Revolutionary Road and A Separation, so I'll pass on Manchester by the Sea, AKA Depression 3: The Depressioning.

Last edited by John Murdoch on Mar 9th, 2017 at 12:30 AM

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 12:15 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by John Murdoch
The Academy died to me when Chris Nolan didn't get Best Director/Picture nom for Inception.

EDIT: Sorry, meant to comment on this year's pics:

- Hacksaw Ridge was my #1 most anticipated movie of 2016. Got busy with personal business and never could see it.
- Really want to see Hell or High Water.
- Prisoners was one of my top films for 2013, and Sicario is tied with Mad Max: Fury Road for my top film of 2015, so anything Denis Vellinueve directs I'll see, that include Arrival.
- Denzel is one of if not my favorite actor, so I'm sure I'd enjoy Fences. Very dialogue/acting driven movie, correct?
- I wouldn't mind seeing Lion, La La Land, or Hidden Figures.
- Agreeing with Carthage above, I'll see Moonlight if it's a film that puts a gay character or gay characters in the heart of a well-made movie (Kiss of the Spider Woman and Philadelphia come to mind for me in this regard. Kiss of the Spider Woman is a masterpiece if I remember it correctly; William Hurt gives the performance of a lifetime). Sadly, it seems it won due to the Oscar-special political stuff: gay minority based on play that was based on real life story. You combine that with good direction and a strong male performance (in this case, Mahershala Ali) = boom, Oscar win.
- I've already seen Revolutionary Road and A Separation, so I'll pass on Manchester by the Sea, AKA Depression 3: The Depressioning.

Dude. See Hacksaw Ridge. That was the true Best Picture of 2016

Denzel is amazing in Fences, and yes, it's almost nothing but dialogue. It's a little stage production put on film.

Moonlight sucks. It's just not interesting. The fact that they're gay is really the only point of the movie. You have to ask yourself, "If these characters were heterosexual, would the movie be even remotely interesting?" No, there was honestly no plot whatsoever. And it's not interesting that they're gay, either. Stupid movie.

Hidden Figures is excellent.

Yeah, Manchester By The Sea is extremely depressing, but a very good movie none-the-less.

And wow, if you put Sicario along side Fury Road, I'll have to give Sicario a watch.

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 02:18 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

My question is when is Hollywood going to take on the NBA? Way too many blacks and not enough white folk.

#NBAFinalsSoBlack

Old Post Mar 9th, 2017 02:55 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Dude. See Hacksaw Ridge. That was the true Best Picture of 2016

Denzel is amazing in Fences, and yes, it's almost nothing but dialogue. It's a little stage production put on film.

Moonlight sucks. It's just not interesting. The fact that they're gay is really the only point of the movie. You have to ask yourself, "If these characters were heterosexual, would the movie be even remotely interesting?" No, there was honestly no plot whatsoever. And it's not interesting that they're gay, either. Stupid movie.

Hidden Figures is excellent.

Yeah, Manchester By The Sea is extremely depressing, but a very good movie none-the-less.

And wow, if you put Sicario along side Fury Road, I'll have to give Sicario a watch.

Thanks for the rundown, Leech.

Don't kill me if you think I hyped Sicario too much. Fury Road is one of my all-time faves, and Sicario is a very different film compared to it, but Sicario is indeed that good or close to it, IMO.

Last edited by John Murdoch on Mar 12th, 2017 at 12:47 AM

Old Post Mar 12th, 2017 12:44 AM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 12th, 2017 01:38 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DellCurry

Hell or High Water

watch movies online

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 09:55 AM
DellCurry is currently offline Click here to Send DellCurry a Private Message Find more posts by DellCurry Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote