KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Middle Earth: Shadow of War

Middle Earth: Shadow of War
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 2 [3]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

The Golden Keys?....with those you didn't actually use real money to pay for

through Gearbox's various social media platforms they provided codes.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2017 01:43 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

So many new stuff...

Bankai.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2017 05:45 PM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

There are definitely some things in the game I've seen lately that make me want to get SoW but [MICROTRANSACTIONS] keeps appearing over my hud. Quest denied.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2017 08:21 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Just when you thought WB couldn't stoop any lower. Skip to 4:20 and watch from there. You need to listen to this.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 03:52 PM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

I missed you posting that but yeah I heard about that entire charity fiasco. The micro transactions are also a pretty big knock against it.

Man, it's a hard choice. The game comes out in 6 days and I still don't have it preordered.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 05:51 AM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Looks like they made that "charity" DLC character free after the backlash. Also, the review embargo lifted today. It's getting blasted for the microtransactions, but all the reviews agree they're tacked on and not necessary when you're playing the game. One even noted that they made things a little too easy to blast through, so it's actually in your best interests to avoid them altogether.

Also, they added the nemesis forge which allows you to bring over your top nemesis and top follower from the first game. That's too good for me to pass up. I went back to our original thread and read about my entire experience with Skoth Wrath-Breeder, and there is no way I can pass up the opportunity to encounter him again in the new game. I'm gonna be getting this.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Arachnid1
I know I came in here talking big earlier about how easy it is to wipe out Saurons captains, but jesus...

One captain called Skoth Wrath-Breeder keeps messing me up. The first three times he killed me, he got lucky because he had so much backup around, and those archers are no joke. He's the bodyguard for a warchief I'm trying to go after, but I cant take him. After I got fed up enough with him, I sent him a death threat and that bumped him up from a 9 to a level 13. I was feeling big, and was kind of pissed so I decided to go about it as epically as possible.

I eventually hunted him down in his usual chill area. After I did some recon, I found about 4 other captains guarding him, two of which had already killed me before at some point. I decided to try to go about it tactically.

First, I tried some arrows to weaken him a bit. He ended up being immune and it just put him on the search for me.

After that, I snuck around him and his goons to go free a caragor behind him. The caragor killed one of the weak level 4 captains guarding him, before he came up and slaughtered it with little effort.

From there, I decided to go balls out and stealth him from above. He was immune to my aerial stealth, and smacked me down. I then tried a typical combo attack, which he just blocked and came back with some swings of his poisoned ax. I tried to vault over him to try to hit him from behind, but he caught me and just threw me down. By this point, all his captains and helpers were there in force, so I used them to get my combo up to try to wear him down with finishers. I got my combo count red, tried the finisher, which then he blocked too before getting another slash with his ax. From there, they all f*cked me up for a bit before I had to book it to find some health. Unfortunately, I got caught on something I couldn't vault over. Skoth took that as an opportunity to come up and murder me with his ax, for the fourth time.

Every single one of them leveled up, and every captain that's killed me at some point is a stupid high level now, with Skoth being on top at level 14. This is probably what it feels like being the nerdy skinny kid who gets constantly beat down by the usual group of bullies in the schoolyard. They made me look like an absolute chump. Skoth is immune to everything! I don't know what to do about this guy. I suppose I need to go interrogate someone with intel to figure out Skoths weakness, if he even has one.

Or I could just say f*ck it and go after the other Warchief. None of the other warchiefs I killed were as bad as Skoth. It's a little ridiculous that a captain is almost completely invincible but a warchief can be beat down without too much prep. I also know if I leave him, he'll probably rank up to be some invincible warchief at some point down the line. I need to figure out what to do about this guy before then.

For now though, I'm giving up on him. I'm gonna go after a different captain, and a different warchief. Maybe I'll be able to take him if I level up a bit and try again later. F*ck Skoth.

EDIT:
I just got to a through a different bodyguard. Creepy little bastard called Tugog the Puny. You know that moment when you clash with a captain or a warchief and they give you some little line about how they're gonna kill you? This guy just stared into my eyes and quietly giggled while breathing heavy for a good ten seconds. Unnerving as hell. Kudos to whoever had the idea for that little intro.

Anyway, we started fighting, and he hasn't been too bad. His life is halfway down. Everything was going great, till another captain came up and clashed. Of course, it was Skoth. Man, this guy. If all goes well, I'll kill the warchief and Skoth here. That would make my day. Wish me luck. :/

EDIT... AGAIN:
Skoth oneshotted me instantly. I didn't even know enemies could oneshot you. Then he gave me some condescending line about how I should probably just avoid him since he's lost track of how many times he's killed me. The warchief got away and Skoth leveled up again.

This game is awesome. FML, but its awesome. They day I kill Skoth will be one of my happiest gaming moments. Still, damn it man. :/

I just tried the warchief mission again. Same creepy little dude who just clacked his teeth at me and giggled a bit. I whooped his butt again for a bit. Skoth came up again just now and said this almost verbatim:

"What is wrong with you!? You lose every time. Why do you keep coming back? Haunt someone else!"

This would be embarrassing if it wasn't a video game. Time for attempt 6 on Skoth.

EDIT:
I killed the Warchief! Skoth got terrified after he witnessed that and booked it. I think I can take him if he has no backup. So far, I've chased him through the night and across country for a couple of minutes. We encountered two caragors. He oneshotted both of them before oneshotting me and running off again. He didn't even take a finishing blow though. He just got me down and booked it. Some other orc tried to come up and steal the kill, but I did the button prompt and murdered him.

Now I'm on the chase again. I've got a few slashes into his back, but he takes almost no damage. I've got 1/10 of his life down. This is gonna be my best chance to take him though. He has no one around to distract me. I'm gonna get this bastard! Wish me luck.

EDIT:
He escaped. On top of that, he has regen, so he just healed back the 1/10 I took from him. I caught up, and he oneshotted me down again before booking it again. Some orc tried to finish me with a throwing ax but I deflected it and murdered him before taking up the chase again. Skoth just disappeared though, and I got some message on screen saying he got away. I guess I chased him too far? It kind of sucks he just disappeared.

Whatever. I got his Warchief. and scared him off. I'll take that as a win. He can go rot elsewear. Not my problem anymore.

Seriously though, I haven't had a chase that epic since Assassins Creed 2. That was pretty great.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 03:20 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Hahaha, that was a great read!

I'm planning on getting this game and I really don't give a shit if games have microtransactions if SP progression is the same. Personally, I think it's dumb and gives bad press to a game that looks promising but it wouldn't affect my purchase decision.

I plan on picking it up soon but I might just wait until I get the new console in November.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 04:58 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Smasandian
Hahaha, that was a great read!

I'm planning on getting this game and I really don't give a shit if games have microtransactions if SP progression is the same. Personally, I think it's dumb and gives bad press to a game that looks promising but it wouldn't affect my purchase decision.

I plan on picking it up soon but I might just wait until I get the new console in November.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! I eventually killed him waaaay later when the game forced him back as an endgame boss working for Sauron, though it was a rough fight. It was quite the experience.

And yeah, waitings not a bad option. I'm getting the Scorpio in November too but I'm already holding off on playing Evil Within to play it in 4k. Waiting on this and Evil Within sounds like torture lol. On the other hand, this game runs at native 4k and highest settings too. According to the developers, they were blown away by the power of the X and how easy it was to enhance their game to max.

If you're set on waiting and want something to tide you over though, the first games Game of the Year edition is on sale on xbox live for 8 dollars right now. It comes with all the DLC. Be warned though, it doesn't carry over your save from the original game (stupid). This is its own save file and own set of achievements. That means I got screwed out of bringing over Skoth, which I'm actually pretty bummed about (though I can probably find the original copy at redbox or something).

PWNT

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 06:10 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

And their lame ass excuse for including microtransactions in the first place is "for people who are protective of their spare time and scared when a massive game comes along that they're not getting to see the full experience."

BS. You don't see Witcher 3 needing microtransactions and that did great.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Oct 5th, 2017 at 08:52 PM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 08:49 PM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

In the end, the problem isn't with developers/publishers, it's with public who pay for this shit. If there wasn't a market for it then they wouldn't do it...but there is.

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 08:52 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by Nemesis X
And their lame ass excuse for including microtransactions in the first place is "for people who are protective of their spare time and scared when a massive game comes along that they're not getting to see the full experience."

BS. You don't see Witcher 3 needing microtransactions and that did great.
Yeah it sucks it's in at all, but as far as implementation, I've seen worse. Most games just increase the grind to make the loot crates more tempting but apparently the microtransactions in this game makes things too easy since the normal rate you get those crates through gameplay is sufficient. The only thing we can really do about it now is just not drain money into MTs.

...I guess we could boycott the game too, but this game is going to be too good to skip altogether.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 10:50 PM
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

...I guess we could boycott the game too, but this game is going to be too good to skip altogether.

I have the Two Towers and Return of the King on my PS2 so I'm content without it for the moment.

But really though, if microtransactions weren't announced, I would've gotten SoW. I was really hyped for this. I'm just gonna wait for the reviews first and see how things go.

Last edited by Nemesis X on Oct 5th, 2017 at 11:08 PM

Old Post Oct 5th, 2017 10:58 PM
Arachnid1

This released today!

PWNT

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 03:34 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

In this case, MT's are more of a "premium luxury" than a necessity. They're there if you absolutely want them, but are far from necessary to complete the game. You could go the entire game without buying a single thing, and still get the 100% experience sans Gold Edition content and season pass and stuff. So SoW gets a pass on this one imo.

Now Battlefront 2 is a system were MT's are absolutely necessary to get the good stuff in any conceivable time frame. As you barely get 200 credits per match. So that's 10 matches to get enough credits to purchase a single crate. Which are totally random and I don't think dupe protected. And you need salvage to upgrade weapons and star cards. But the amount of salvage you get(and you can only get it from crates) is from what I've seen anywhere between 10-30 salvage at once. And the cheapest thing I've seen to use salvage for is like 100. So you have to get an untold amount of crates to get enough salvage to upgrade weapons, star cards, etc... It's a price gouge, or you grit your teeth and go with the bs until you get lucky and a lot of hours sunk into the game.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 05:16 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

Originally posted by KingD19
In this case, MT's are more of a "premium luxury" than a necessity. They're there if you absolutely want them, but are far from necessary to complete the game. You could go the entire game without buying a single thing, and still get the 100% experience sans Gold Edition content and season pass and stuff. So SoW gets a pass on this one imo.

Now Battlefront 2 is a system were MT's are absolutely necessary to get the good stuff in any conceivable time frame. As you barely get 200 credits per match. So that's 10 matches to get enough credits to purchase a single crate. Which are totally random and I don't think dupe protected. And you need salvage to upgrade weapons and star cards. But the amount of salvage you get(and you can only get it from crates) is from what I've seen anywhere between 10-30 salvage at once. And the cheapest thing I've seen to use salvage for is like 100. So you have to get an untold amount of crates to get enough salvage to upgrade weapons, star cards, etc... It's a price gouge, or you grit your teeth and go with the bs until you get lucky and a lot of hours sunk into the game.
Yeah I saw that. Absolutely ****ed. How the hell do you lock the entire progression system in a multiplayer game behind loot boxes? That is some next level shit.

PWNT

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:04 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Yeah I saw that. Absolutely ****ed. How the hell do you lock the entire progression system in a multiplayer game behind loot boxes? That is some next level shit.

It's EA. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they shoehorned that into the game as they have a habit of pulling moves like that. But yeah, the system is so biased toward pay to win that you could be the exact same level, exact same class as the other guy. But guaranteed he'll beat you if he's got some gold level starcards that he just bought.

Old Post Oct 11th, 2017 06:10 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Estacado
Legendary

Bought it yesterday.

Played for about 8 hours. Just encountered the Nazgul for the 1st time.

Improvements I like so far:
-Caragor execution / summon (during fight)
-ally/mount summon
-warchiefs are cooler and harder to defeat
-elven rage
-cool little puzzles
-improved traversal (faster scaling)
-story

Bankai.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2017 09:32 AM
Estacado is currently offline Click here to Send Estacado a Private Message Find more posts by Estacado Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Oh hey look they're finally getting rid of the microtransactions.

https://www.cinemablend.com/games/2...crotransactions

quote:
In order to fully restore the core promise of the Nemesis System, we'll be permanently removing Gold, War Chests and the Market from Shadow of War. This means the option to purchase Gold with real-world money and the ability to gain Orc Followers from War Chests will be removed.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2018 11:53 PM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

That's very cool. I'll try this game again in the coming months when they implement all that.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2018 11:55 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

I don't know. I never once needed thought about using microtransactions in this game.

Removing them is a good idea because let's have no real money game currency but I never felt you needed to use them.

There is other problems with the game.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2018 01:21 AM