KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » A pic that a friend did for me

A pic that a friend did for me
Started by: Jake2TheJakenin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 2 [3] 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

quote: (post)
Originally posted by wuleecat
Hey, how do you know I don't know how to draw?

I'll prove it to you. Just give me 4 hours, some tracing paper

Because you're oblivious to the most basic elements of art.

When you trace something the outlines will be identical, with a very minor residual. Of course you can then edit details in your trace. But there's a limit to what you can edit. You can't edit your trace such a way that the overall angle changes or make any major pose alterations that skews the perspective.

And as any artist—or someone of average intelligence, really—could tell you, the two pictures are completely different.

But to make it even easier on you, here's an overlay of the pictures. Starlin's is red, mine is blue and the overlay is black, and the images are pinned in the right end of the right boot.

(please log in to view the image)

As you can see there's virtually no outline overlay beyond the few pixels where it's pinned.

Originally posted by wuleecat
I'll use the 'Hitch motif' method to come up with something that looks 99.99% identical to Hitch's original, but I'll alter the angle of the elbow by 2 degrees and maybe raise an eyebrow by a fraction.

If you're not familiar with artists using motifs then I would have to question whether or not you've been home-schooled.

Secondly it's not only the angle of of an arm that has been changed, it's the entire picture. Mine is from above the horizon, Starlin's is from beneath the horizon.

Originally posted by Dreampanther
You know, this is a great idea. I'm going to take a short story by Neil Gaiman, change the names of the characters, the setting and time it takes place, add a few sentences of my own and then put my name on it and post it on forums to prove to people what a great writer I am.

If I get called out on it, I'll just tell people they don't understand how the creative writing process works and that all I did was use Neil Gaiman as a "motif".

Again, you hailed Alex Ross as a great artist. He uses motifs, every single time.

Look, he's using it right there.

And he continues to shamelessly stack those motifs as like the camera isn't even in the room.

Clearly this guy is an amateur that should be booted out of the industry because he has no talent.

Last edited by Astner on Mar 18th, 2017 at 08:34 AM

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 08:29 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
wuleecat

Great idea.

I reckon Alan Moore would work too. Hang on, I'm having a 'motif moment...'

"The League of Awesome Guys". Bunch of characters from literature thrown together to fight crime. First in the lineup, 'Captain Seaweed' and his incredible - indeed, extraordinary - submarine, the Golden Squid.

Geez, writing comics is just as easy as drawing them, eh?

I guess any old "dolt" can do it. (By the way, who except bad Nazi villains in an Indiana Jones movie uses the insult 'dolt'? Who is this guy, the Red Skull?)

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 08:35 AM
wuleecat is currently offline Click here to Send wuleecat a Private Message Find more posts by wuleecat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Okay, if it's so easy to draw from a motif then draw this image from 30° above the horizon.

I'll be even nicer and tell you don't have to be too strict on the pose, light sources, the shadows or details. So you have a lot of leeway to work with. What's important is the perspective and the proportions.

It should take you about 15 minutes to sketch, so I'll give you so you have about 24 hours to finish it.

And all you really need is to take a photo of the image with the tag "By Wuleecat."

Last edited by Astner on Mar 18th, 2017 at 09:53 AM

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 09:50 AM
Astner is currently offline Click here to Send Astner a Private Message Find more posts by Astner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

This is a pic I did at work a while a go, I was bored and had a comic with me so drew wolverine from one of the pages, was copied from a Jim Lee photo. Didn't have any pencils so had to use a pen. Think I did a pretty decent job.

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 10:55 AM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dreampanther
We all face the reaper.

Originally posted by steverules_2
This is a pic I did at work a while a go, I was bored and had a comic with me so drew wolverine from one of the pages, was copied from a Jim Lee photo. Didn't have any pencils so had to use a pen. Think I did a pretty decent job.

So would you say that was a "Jim Lee motif" you used?

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

May all your dreams come true - except for one.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 12:27 PM
Dreampanther is currently offline Click here to Send Dreampanther a Private Message Find more posts by Dreampanther Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

God you're dumb.

"Motif Any figure or design, when used either as the central element in a work or is repeated to create an architectural or decorative pattern. Also, a recurrent thematic element in any work."

- Lineart Glossary: M

So no, it wasn't "Jim Lee" who was the motif, it was Wolverine as depicted in Jim Lee's work.

And in my case it was Thanos—as depicted by Jim Starlin—that was the motif.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 01:04 PM
steverules_2

Originally posted by Dreampanther
So would you say that was a "Jim Lee motif" you used?

laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Well it's not an original pic like astners

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 02:01 PM
steverules_2 is currently offline Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 02:32 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

This is a terrible thread.

And not because of the OP.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 03:08 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Hey guys, I just drew a pic of Thanos, too!

Not gonna lie, though- I totally used Astner's pic for reference... But as you'll note, the poses are completely different. thumb up

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 04:22 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Are they? They look the same to me.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 04:55 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

Originally posted by Galan007

Not gonna lie, though- I totally used Astner's pic for reference... But as you'll note, the poses are completely different. thumb up

Look at the detail in his prune chin!

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 05:05 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Those are his bedroom eyes

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 05:23 PM
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

It seems like a 20-30 degree angle difference used there.

Totally not the same thumb up

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 05:52 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astner
The Ghost Who Walks

Agreed. I take no credit for Galan's fine work.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 06:11 PM
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

Well it's better than I could do... but I can't really draw anything more complex than stick figures anyway

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 07:39 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Prof. T.C McAbe
Kryptonian Scientist

First you don't need a reference for drawing, it depends on the artist it's not a must but makes things much easier. Also, taking some different body parts from different pictures and composing them differently to copy it is not a crime, so give him a break. I am sure he will make a video how he draws from the beginning till the end to show you that he is more than able.

Sig made by my mate, the one and only One_Angry_Scot

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 04:56 PM
Prof. T.C McAbe is currently offline Click here to Send Prof. T.C McAbe a Private Message Find more posts by Prof. T.C McAbe Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

I can draw, too!

Used Galan's picture for reference.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 05:08 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

I like the use of colour

I'm Bada's pimp

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 08:18 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Thanks smile I like your Wolverine, too. I mean it.

Old Post Mar 19th, 2017 08:28 PM