KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » Darth Nihilus vs Darth Sidious

Darth Nihilus vs Darth Sidious
Started by: darthbane77

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Apparently, Force Sever looks like a glowing, orange beam.

Dat's rite. Traya just harmlessly severed the remainder of the Jedi Council via Wall of Light.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 01:09 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

quote: (post)
Originally posted by S W LeGenD
I'm not saying there is necessarily a conflict, just putting that possibility out there. Either way it's clear from the scans that you've provided that the KotORCG doesn't really do justice to exploring the intricacies of the technique, and it's also possible that it's being very liberal with the word "drain".

I think the wiser course of action would be looking solely at the game in this instance and seeing how Nihilus' ability functionally compares to other abilities we might think of as drains.

And as I've told you, Drain in the game fits the characteristics of Draining powers. We have the KotoRCG confirming as much. There's just no way around it. This is the equivalent of arguing that the Earth is flat in the modern day.

Regardless of the power's nature, it won't work on Palpatine — or at least, it won't be anything game-changing at first.

Last edited by SunRazer on Mar 17th, 2017 at 01:13 PM

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 01:11 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Having read through this one thing I can't completely make out is whether the techniques described in the following quotes are one and the same:

"As much as one may use the Force to bolster the wills and strengths of others, the reverse is possible, though not often used. Instead of sending one's will through connections in the Force, instead such connections are drawn upon, fed upon, and drained completely."

"It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves... it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes. It cannot be taught... it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 01:30 PM
Click here to Send GM_Nebaris a Private Message Find more posts by GM_Nebaris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Well, Drain has always comprised a spectrum of powers or at least a spectrum of applications.

But yeah, that's the same. They both involve severing Force connections, it's just the second quote explains that the caster also feeds upon the death that is caused.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 01:31 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Well here's how I read how the technique works in the first quote:

1. A bond is formed between Force-users.
2. One of the Force-users uses that bond to drain the other Force-user completely.
*And I guess, once drained completely, their bond would effectively be severed as there is no longer a person (or functioning Force-user) to be bonded with.

I'm finding it hard to see how you would interpret the same sort of thing from the second quote. It seems to be saying diffrent forms of connections are directly severed in some way, and that the death caused is then fed upon.

Bear in mind I haven't played the game in years and don't really know the exact context of all of these quotes.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 01:44 PM
Click here to Send GM_Nebaris a Private Message Find more posts by GM_Nebaris Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by The_Tempest
Which brings us back to square one: The Emperor is factually stronger and more masterful than Nihilus. In the absence of compelling evidence that Nihilus would be able to neutralize these advantages, logic dictates that he loses.
thumb up

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 01:47 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

By that logic, Valkorion also takes a majority against Nihilus.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 02:28 PM
Click here to Send Geistalt a Private Message Find more posts by Geistalt Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Absolutely serious. He could probably fry him to death like Marr (just with greater difficulty). And, of course, he still isn't as masterful as Palps.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 02:30 PM
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Probably falls back into the "Valk > Plagueis > Nihilus" debates at some point.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 02:34 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by Geistalt

Yep.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 06:55 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Originally posted by Geistalt

Obviously, yeah.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 07:16 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Well here's how I read how the technique works in the first quote:

1. A bond is formed between Force-users.
2. One of the Force-users uses that bond to drain the other Force-user completely.
*And I guess, once drained completely, their bond would effectively be severed as there is no longer a person (or functioning Force-user) to be bonded with.

I'm finding it hard to see how you would interpret the same sort of thing from the second quote. It seems to be saying diffrent forms of connections are directly severed in some way, and that the death caused is then fed upon.

Bear in mind I haven't played the game in years and don't really know the exact context of all of these quotes.

Force Bonds are basically Force connections, just with people instead of the Force itself.

Old Post Mar 17th, 2017 10:04 PM
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Well I'm still not convinced that it is the same technique, but let's say it is for a second; why are we so convinced that it wouldn't be so effective against Sidious?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 12:01 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Simple. It revolves around severing one from the Force, which by logic and precedent (Odan-Urr vs Exar Kun again) fails against a more powerful foe who is on their guard.

And, of course, the lack of evidence on Nihilus' part to suggest that it would work against a more powerful foe that Nihilus doesn't have the luxury of ambushing or incapacitating.

Last edited by SunRazer on Mar 18th, 2017 at 12:30 PM

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 12:28 PM
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

But there is no precedent as far as the technique of manipulating a Force Bond to achieve that effect is concerned as far as I'm aware (plus didn't Odan-Urr attempt something completely different on Exar Kun anyway?); a regular drain more closely resembles a regular Force attack that would most likely be defended directly against in a conventional manner, whereas the Force Bond drain seems to be more of a disguised attack.

Of course there's evidence that suggests it would work on Sidious; just how suggestive it is is up for debate.

And not everyone would agree that Sidious is more powerful.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 01:11 PM
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

It's been stated over and over again that he's "the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived," and "the greatest master of evil ever to use Sith power."

Pretty sure the intent there is that he's > than any prior Sith or former Sith.

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Last edited by Geistalt on Mar 18th, 2017 at 02:27 PM

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 02:18 PM
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Intents that maybe conflict with other intents, and aren't reflected in canon as a whole?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 04:25 PM
Geistalt
SilenceThatSpeaksVolumes

Okay...

When is it suggested that Sidious is weaker than anyone else that had been Sith?

Fvck Islam. 4srs.
Fvck Oded Yinon, too.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 04:32 PM
GM_Nebaris
not-S_W_LeGenD

Possibly when we have someone doing far greater stuff than he?

Not that I'm really claiming this. I really need to replay KOTOR2 at some point, and it's possible that Nihilus isn't really powerful in the conventional sense at all, but has some kind of weird ability that allows him to feed off of others and become more powerful that way, but then might slowly lose that power if he doesn't continue to feed. But again my memory of the details is a little off.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 04:38 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

But there is no precedent as far as the technique of manipulating a Force Bond to achieve that effect is concerned as far as I'm aware (plus didn't Odan-Urr attempt something completely different on Exar Kun anyway?); a regular drain more closely resembles a regular Force attack that would most likely be defended directly against in a conventional manner, whereas the Force Bond drain seems to be more of a disguised attack.

Of course there's evidence that suggests it would work on Sidious; just how suggestive it is is up for debate.

And not everyone would agree that Sidious is more powerful.

Sidious' superiority is factual, as is made clear in the numerous sources (plenty of which come after KotOR II) stating that he is the most powerful Sith Lord to date. There is no argument. If someone fails to agree with that, then they're simply proving that have no regard for canonical authority and thus are a waste of time to debate.

Odan-Urr attempted to Sever Kun from the Force; it's the same principle here but you're needlessly complicating things. As I said, a Force Bond is just a Force connection to another person instead of the Force. In no way is Drain a "disguised attack", just one that's incredibly difficult to control. I'm not sure what evidence led you to draw that conclusion.

What evidence suggests that it would work on Sidious, or at least to the game-changing extent that some of the others were proposing?

Old Post Mar 18th, 2017 10:18 PM