KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Luke Skywalker vs Exar Kun: Context and Circumstances

Luke Skywalker vs Exar Kun: Context and Circumstances
Started by: MythLord

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Indeed, Urr is canonically more powerful than Baas, and Baas is canonically more powerful than Thon.

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 04:34 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AncientPower
Indeed, Urr is canonically more powerful than Baas, and Baas is canonically more powerful than Thon.

Because of their ranks in the order?

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 04:49 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

quote:
A Jedi Master is afforded a great deal of respect within the Order... some Jedi Masters have more authority than others due to their individual reputation. Master Yoda and Master Mace Windu are two examples in the Rise of the Empire era, as are Master Odan-Urr and Master Vodo-Siosk Baas in the Old Republic era.

Much of the respect Jedi Masters garner within their respective Orders relates to their strength in the Force.
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 04:58 AM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

laughing
That doesn't prove urr>baas

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 05:07 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

You can ignore it all you like, as if I care for your delusions, he's the Head of the Jedi Assembly making him top dog.

Last edited by AncientPower on Mar 24th, 2017 at 05:18 AM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 05:13 AM
S_W_LeGenD

This is in reference to Ajunta Pall.

I'd have Urr, Baas and Thon all above Nyriss given Thon's immense Ambria feat and the fact the other two are canonically more powerful than him. Revan doesn't really matter in this debate though.

No such restrictions were placed on any of them. It is also highly telling that the ancient Sith would proclaim Exar Kun the true Dark Lord of the Sith to usher in a Golden Age of the Sith, if they didn't think Exar Kun had the strength to surpass the Sith Emperor.

It's seriously lacking, if anything.

Sorry, you lost me there. Repeating my question: when did Exar Kun dominate millions of Sith?

TBH, defeating Lord Scourge and Meetra Surik (simultaneously) in a duel, impresses me more; few would have this much capability. Darth Nyriss is also noted to be a master of Sith Sorcery so she might be packing a lot more than what we have seen from her so far.

---

What do you mean by that? TOR sources - time and again - reiterate that Vitiate is the TOP-DOG. Same sources acknowledge greatness of other Sith but none of them affirmed that Exar Kun became the TOP DOG for a time. That would not make sense, keeping in mind the history of Vitiate's power progression.

Exar Kun's promotions are valid for (known) aspects of the galaxy up to his time. This would be a reasonable in-universe explanation as well.

As for those Sith spirits choosing Exar Kun to lead the Sith cause, they might be aware of Vitiate's hostility. Vitiate would have either destroyed them or caged them in the Dark Temple. Strength was not the only factor.

---

TOR Enyclopedia is one of the best books out there. You disliking is subjective.

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Mar 24th, 2017 at 12:47 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 12:44 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote:
He reached into Ossus and summoned its power to blast him, how is that not even close to the full extent of his power when he did the same thing to summon_an impenetrable Force barrier? You're losing it by the post.
I guess because he was summoning an impenetrable Force barrier simultaneously, explanation appreciated. eek!

On the other hand the blast he unleashed in DE was again, visibly much more potent, so this was never really a matter of debate, kek.

quote:
Funny, because I own the book and it looks to me like you're just making up shit. Nor are the two statements regarding his rule mutually contradictive, he could have done both in sequence. You've got no basis for a retcon.
Orly? We're in 2017 dear this stuff is freely available on the internet, in which case I two have familiarised myself with the source and it clearly states:
quote:
This dark Jedi dominated the Sith people, though his methods of doing so were not recorded in Sadow's Holocron. He turned them into unwilling thralls, stealing their knowledge of sorcery and using it against them. This Jedi proclaimed himself the Dark Lord of the Sith, making him the first in a lineage that would plague the rest of the galaxy for untold millenia.
That the Jedi in question dominated the Sith people, and in doing so became Dark Lord.

Whereas by Soruz Syn's accounting:
quote:
The Sith greeted us. Despite our obvious superior powers, we were not hailed as gods when we arrived. It took weeks for us to understand the power structure of their culture, to undermine it, and to annihilate the current king. Ajunta Pall beheaded their ruler, Hakagram Graush, and claimed the throne as the blood heir to the ancestral King Adas - and we became his shadow hands.
Pall in particular became Dark Lord by undermining their power structure and acting as the heir of King Adas. Soruz Syn says nothing of making them into unwilling thralls to achieve this, because it did not happen, nor would they have spent weeks politicising their way into power had they been able to do this. Instead:
quote:
The Sith respect power, and they are content to serve us.
quote:
We are served by their priests, the Kissai, who have come to worship us as demigods. They regard Ajunta Pall as the manifestation of Typhojem, the Left-Handed God, and are thus easily persuaded to do our bidding.
Sorry AP, but there is no argument here, these accounts are mutually exclusive, the former having bungled the facts on the number of Dark Jedi present and being a retelling by Sadow almost two millennia after their arrival making it an unreliable source from the start. thumb up

quote:
He was displaying the power in pinpricks of millions of people across the city, even a fraction of those millions is a greater feat against the masses than anything Vader has. Not to mention, this was his mere initiation into the dark side, he achieves even greater feats afterward.
Not at all, it's not even a greater feat than that of the Sith adept who enslaved a population of sapients with nothing but a minor Sith shrine to aid him:

(please log in to view the image)

Cheap parlour tricks like this would be child's play for someone of Vader's calibre. thumb up

quote:
Yes, I own the book and the entire bridgehead is disintegrating upon reentry, but he decides it isn't disintegrating fast enough and rips the remainder apart.
And I commend you on the wasted purchase. laughing out loud

Nonetheless AP the idea behind buying a book is that you read it afterwards. Perhaps if you'd done that you'd realise that the Marek was trying to hold the ship together before obliterating it at the very last moment to save Juno. In regards to which though much of the ship had been torn away a significant portion of the fore remained intact, and nothing states otherwise. Stop embarrassing yourself with this made up nonsense and get a clue.

quote:
Once again, you're wrong
Not at all, that source explictly states that it was the ritual of a certain Sith sorceress that corrupted the planet, not the influence of Sith spirits who became bound to it thereafter, that Thon later lured and trapped in the lake:
quote:
In a final desperate strategy, Thon swam out into the middle of Lake Natth and surrendered himself to the dark side. But as the Sith spirits converged on his limp form, Thon lashed out with the Force, ensnaring his enemies in a lattice-work of light side energy.
Hint: dark side nexuses cannot chase people or be tricked into traps, lmao.

quote:
Meaning he lost, glad we agree. thumb up

Starkiller is stated to gain the original's incredible Force power and grew more powerful throughout the novel, where he defeats Vader there too.
He lost yes. But not because he was less powerful. Whereas in their second duel Vader was given him a thrashing until Marek cheap-shotted him. But even then the DS ending reveals he wasn't really down and out at all, and the Prime Guide describes Vader was "too powerful" for the player who - having ended up disarmed and physically thrown off the platform - must resort to channelling Force lightning through the electricity pylons to defeat him. I'm afraid there's no debate here, Vader is better. sad

quote:
Hilarious, because you're clearly on your desperate last foot.
On the contrary my dear, this is the end of line for you. Kun's spirit feats have been debunked, his powerscaling as been debunked and now you've resorted to his base showings, a contest I am afraid you will lose too. In short AP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFIj_8daVU&t=2m25s

sad

quote:
You are a genuine moron
Huh, what was that supposed to prove other than the fact the amulet can channel external sources of power? Lel.

quote:
He is using the amulet to fire up the Temple's focal point and summon the Wyrm beneath. It's obvious.
By focusing the ambient energies of the temple through it, quite. Shall I take this to be a concession you cannot prove otherwise?

quote:
The TCSWE states he's the most powerful Dark Lord of the Sith up to and of his time, in the original Fact File #1 he's also granted the title of Most powerful of all the Sith Lords in an article referring to Sith of the time. Tales of the Jedi is merely echoing these statements.
quote:
There is no other statement that describes Kun as the most powerful darkness in the galaxy
thumb up

In which respect, all you've proven is that it's an exaggerated extrapolation of him being the most powerful Sith. Well done AP.

quote:
Except the amp used by Sadow and Keto to cause supernovas is actually more like activating a Sith alchemy superweapon with their power and ruing the core of the star. Exar Kun on the otherhand, according to your logic, is literally having his rage multiplied a thousand times and then having that multiplied a hundred thousand times.

If he can shine with more power than Keto's sorcery has ever afforded her, before gaining tremendous dark side power and then becoming even more powerful off of the Dark Holocron then he is easily capable of doing the same thing that Sadow had achieved. Yet here we are with you claiming that Exar Kun unleashing his dark rage x 1k x 100k wouldn't be focusing far more power than either of his canonical inferiors could have ever been focusing through the Corsair.
Not sure what point is your attempting to make here hon but you're correct on one thing, the Corsair is a Sith superweapon, far more advanced than a gauntlet designed by the same Dark Lord. In which respect you still haven't really given me a reason to believe it wouldn't yield greater power bar a clumsy appeal to incredulity.

That said it appears to me that the Corsair is just a device that can be activated at a push of a button, so I'm not sure Keto or Sadow's level of mastery is even relevant here. And even if we assumed this for a moment to be hyperbole, you'd have no means of quantifying just how much an amp it afforded, and only estimations as exactly how much stronger Kun became. On the other hand if the amp had become negligible as you claim he'd have no need to continue wearing the amulet, yet he did, so it didn't. Once again no argument here.

quote:
Nadd at the time had been feeding off of centuries of his own descendants and claiming their power, before absorbing the powers of trapped Jedi Masters from a crystal. Exar Kun just needed to create him a new body capable of sustaining him and he'd have returned to life.

Nadd is confirmed to be far more powerful than Sadow is, regardless of Sadow' real state at the time (sources conflict) before becoming even more powerful over a century of Onderonian rule later, by which time he's stated to become an even greater Sorceror than Marka Ragnos, who is indisputably Sadow's superior.
Cool, none of that proves Nadd was remotely as powerful as spirit, goodness.

quote:
Context: He's threatening his very first disciple, who was the first to be subjected to his alchemy. This is when they discover the Corsair, after Kun has already been using Sith alchemy.
Very nice. If only there were some proof Kun could accomplish this without an amulet and with TK. sad

quote:
A Legends debate is preferable, where you don't have to try and pick & mix his Canon feats whilst ignoring some of his worst showings.
That's nice dear, however I think I'll be sticking to the norm for now rather than conceding to your arbitrary stipulations. If that intimidates you, you're welcome to bow out now.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Mar 24th, 2017 at 06:30 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 06:23 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

quote:
Coming from the one getting schooled, this is cute.
I'll be bookmarking this comment for when you concede. smile

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 06:32 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Luke Skywalker vs Exar Kun: Context and Circumstances

I'm going to put some stake in KJA's writing abilities and say that your interpretation is invalid given that it would render half of the entire quote redundant. It's clearly referring to his powers in the Force, given he refers to his defensive techniques failing later in the same quote.

Except his "defensive techniques failing" comes a whole paragraph later, hence it's not redundant. You're in pretty big denial to miss the large space between the two quotes, that you conveniently omitted from your original response.

Then your entire argument regarding his mental condition is moot because his mindset takes until Specters to actually sort itself out.

Yeah, and so it isn't really moot since I'm debunking the idea that Exar is more powerful than Luke. thumb up If Luke's mental state would hinder him in a fight against Exar circa-JA is another thing entirely.

Incorrect, it was Kun masking his ass kicking of Horn from the hallway just outside from the entire hall of Jedi-including Luke.

And also his presence, which is the only thing that outstands Corran. By that same token, Jaina thinks Luke hasn't shown her a quarter of his power by Dark Nest because of his piloting capabilities; not a valid comparison.

Except Luke being hindered can apply to everything he's done until Specters.

For the most part.

Horn was also explicitly good with Tutaminis, your point?

Nice moving the goalpost, but to address your point. Yes, he is. He isn't better than Luke Skywalker, though. laughing out loud And he stopped absorbing Kyp's assault via tutaminis and started just blocking it with his already errected barrier, and it was successful enough.

Calling them trainees doesn't diminish them, lmfao.

I am aware, but unless you want to argue barely trained Jedi are more capable of drawing on the power of a nexus than one of the most powerful Sith ever... well, your argument falls flat, as usual.

Exar Kun's spirit is anchored to the Focal Points and sustains itself off of said power, that's it.

And it also draws from said power to attack, you numpty. He can feed himself off that power beyond just appearing in his astral form.

Regarding your quotes, it actually directly notes said power-sources are made to be used by Dark Siders. They can draw on it, sure, but that doesn't make it Light Side energy(again, I mention sources actually noting Jedi becoming more powerful on DS nexuses because they are uncharacteristically willing to draw on said nexus) it is simply used for the purpose of the Light Side.

it's an over-all amplification of his powers, not on department, rofl.

Yet, it's specifically talking that part being

A bunch of trainees, one of whom goes on to be capable of exhausting Luke in combat. He was called Brakiss. erm

You mean the same Brakiss who only fought an exhausted, holding back Luke, and the same Brakiss that got stomped by an all-out Luke?

"This has gone on long enough, Brakiss. You may either surrender or I'll defeat you directly, because I have work to do. I need to get back to defending my Jedi academy."

"Brakiss showed the faintest glimmer of uncertainty in his normally calm and peaceful eyes when Luke drove in, this time intending to win. Luke struck again with the lightsaber, always maintaining his focus and drive, not letting anger take control, doing only what he wished to do.

The Master of the Shadow Academy defended himself, and Luke saw his chance to strike. He altered his aim just slightly, not striking the energy blade itself. He could have swung lower to take off the hand of his former student, much as Darth Vader had cut off Luke's own hand-but Luke didn't want to maim Brakiss in such a way. He needed only to ruin his weapon.

His lightsaber struck across the top of Brakiss's handle, just below the terminus of the energy beam and above the knuckles of the grip.The top two centimeters of the spiked-claw end of Brakiss's lightsaber sprayed off, sheared away in a smoking, molten mass.

Brakiss shrieked and dropped his sparkling lightsaber to the ground, where it lay useless, smoldering, no longer a weapon, simply a hunk of components... none of which worked.
"

-- Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Seige

He literally ended the fight in two moves.

He's still a spirit.

Further cemented in a second source:

Yeah, no sh!t. And in order to free and re-animate himself, he needs more than just Durron. But that doesn't mean his Force reserves are > Durron's, just that Kyp's power isn't enough to accomplish a task Exar couldn't accomplish anyways.

It's both and there's no arguing otherwise.

Yes there is. You're just in denial, lmao.

Streen was the one who caused actual damage to him and then banished his spirit after Kirana Ti and Dorsk 81 cut through him with lightsabers.

Which only happened when Luke himself intervened. thumb up

I'm convinced.

Good; you're making some progress.

"Hello, Starlight."

Last edited by MythLord on Mar 24th, 2017 at 06:53 PM

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 06:51 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Luke Skywalker vs Exar Kun: Context and Circumstances

Originally posted by MythLord
And it also draws from said power to attack, you numpty. He can feed himself off that power beyond just appearing in his astral

That is not correct.

Exar Kun was barely able to retain his presence with energies accessible to him in the Temples on Yavin 4. Nothing more than that.

Old Post Mar 24th, 2017 07:46 PM
Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

"Barely"? Going to need actual proof, given how he's more than just retaining his presence, he's using said Temples to channel his own attacks.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 06:37 AM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Wow, it just gets worse, I'll see to this later.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 02:34 AM
NewGuy01
perpetual

Just skimming through, but I feel the need to comment on this:

quote:
A Jedi Master is afforded a great deal of respect within the Order... some Jedi Masters have more authority than others due to their individual reputation. Master Yoda and Master Mace Windu are two examples in the Rise of the Empire era, as are Master Odan-Urr and Master Vodo-Siosk Baas in the Old Republic era.

Much of the respect Jedi Masters garner within their respective Orders relates to their strength in the Force.
- Power of the Jedi Sourcebook

Emphasis mine.

Firstly, the fact that Yoda happens to be superior to Mace doesn't really prove anything in regards to Vodo and Odan, as the passage isn't highlighting how Yoda compares to Mace, but rather how Yoda and Mace compare to the rest of their Order.

Secondly, the passage doesn't explicitly state that Vodo and Odan are the Order's ultimate authorities, but rather that they're two examples of highly respected masters who possessed great authority in the Old Republic era. It doesn't preclude the possibility of other masters of similar calibre existing. Once again, the fact that this is the case with Mace and Yoda doesn't mean the case is exactly the same for Vodo and Odan; to me, at least, it seemed like there was less of a rigid hierarchy among the masters in TotJ than in the prequels.

Thirdly, while it's true that strength in the Force is highly valued in the Jedi Order, that doesn't mean it's the only considerable factor. Even though Yoda seemed to have lost much of his strength to age in RotJ, I don't think he'd be held in contempt by his fellows were they still alive; his wealth of experience and wisdom has value on it's own, and the same would go for Odan.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 03:46 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

Odan is confirmed to be Head of the Jedi Assembly and acts as the Head of the Jedi Conclave on Deneba. The Jedi Assembly, furthermore, is the group of leading Jedi Masters of the Order. For all intents and purposes, the Jedi Grand Master of the Jedi High Council. It was the Exar Kun War that caused the change to an Orthodox Order in the first place.

Whilst you're right that strength is not the sole factor, it is clearly one of the primary ones as the quote states.

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 04:41 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by NewGuy01
Just skimming through, but I feel the need to comment on this:

Emphasis mine.

Firstly, the fact that Yoda happens to be superior to Mace doesn't really prove anything in regards to Vodo and Odan, as the passage isn't highlighting how Yoda compares to Mace, but rather how Yoda and Mace compare to the rest of their Order.

Secondly, the passage doesn't explicitly state that Vodo and Odan are the Order's ultimate authorities, but rather that they're two examples of highly respected masters who possessed great authority in the Old Republic era. It doesn't preclude the possibility of other masters of similar calibre existing. Once again, the fact that this is the case with Mace and Yoda doesn't mean the case is exactly the same for Vodo and Odan; to me, at least, it seemed like there was less of a rigid hierarchy among the masters in TotJ than in the prequels.

Thirdly, while it's true that strength in the Force is highly valued in the Jedi Order, that doesn't mean it's the only considerable factor. Even though Yoda seemed to have lost much of his strength to age in RotJ, I don't think he'd be held in contempt by his fellows were they still alive; his wealth of experience and wisdom has value on it's own, and the same would go for Odan.
Good points, Kun takes another L. sad

Old Post Mar 26th, 2017 10:12 AM
Freedon Nadd

Bump

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2018 02:29 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

nothing's changed

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 6th, 2018 03:59 PM
victreebelvictr
Flowey's Only Friend

exar kun stands a solid 42% chance to grand master luke.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2018 05:29 PM
Click here to Send victreebelvictr a Private Message Find more posts by victreebelvictr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

da fuq? He doesn't stand a 42% chance against this Luke, in the right mental state nvm GM Luke.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Aug 9th, 2018 09:01 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

He may have meant 4-2%, that seems more likely.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2018 09:17 PM
Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote