KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity

Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Sam Harris Slaughters Christianity

I love this guy. I just ordered a couple of his books. Some highlights from this video:

~ If you're born in the wrong part of the world, then sorry, you just missed the correct revelation to get to heaven.

~ Christianity is a cult of human sacrifice and when put in different contexts makes it look like the beliefs of a lunatic.

~ Serial killers can go to heaven after a life of evil brutality just by saying a few words on death row.

~ God is praised with some activities, but does he get the blame for atrocities? No, it's said that he's "mysterious."

~ When Elves die in The Lord of the Rings they can be reborn in Middle Earth. lol

~ The God of the Bible is morally corrupt, but because it's declared that "He's God," it doesn't matter what he does or says, it's automatically good because he's God.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Mar 23rd, 2017 at 07:49 PM

Old Post Mar 23rd, 2017 07:45 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

These are a lot of the same issues I bring up with Religion. I don't know how an omnipotent, all loving God could allow the suffering seen on a daily basis. Although, if we take the Bible literally, when God does get fed up with our sin, he just kills nearly everyone and everything on the planet.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 05:34 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

To me the biggest crock of sh!t is the lie of "heaven" and "hell" (and of course other stuff like "purgatory" and indulgences).

Could there ever be a more obvious and obnoxious means of taking advantage of and controlling the gullible and weak minded?

quote:
"I went to god just to see, and I was looking at me
Saw heaven and hell were lies"

~ Marilyn Manson
"The Reflecting God"

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:00 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

You'd think a God that wasn't a piece of utter shit wouldn't make it so you can miss out on heaven based on where you are born.

Sounds like a horrible entity that needs to be snuffed out of existence.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

And the issue of Biblical morality is significantly questionable...

"Thou shalt not have any gods before me"? Really? This God is very jealous and has a big ego. So much for being without sin. "Thou shalt not kill" is a good idea, but there are definitely some obsolete laws in the 10 Commandments like "Remembering the Sabbath" and "Taking the Lord's name in vain." And no law against slavery? Oh yeah, that's right, the Bible condones slavery and killing homosexuals...

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:17 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
To me the biggest crock of sh!t is the lie of "heaven" and "hell" (and of course other stuff like "purgatory" and indulgences).

Could there ever be a more obvious and obnoxious means of taking advantage of and controlling the gullible and weak minded?

It's the most effective tool for keeping people in line.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:20 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by Surtur
You'd think a God that wasn't a piece of utter shit wouldn't make it so you can miss out on heaven based on where you are born.

Sounds like a horrible entity that needs to be snuffed out of existence.

Well, back when it was written, they probably didn't think about the sheer number of people that could be born without the knowledge of their God. God, being the all-knowing entity that he is, probably had the foresight though.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:21 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

"Thou shalt not have any gods before me"? Really? This God is very jealous and has a big ego. So much for being without sin. "Thou shalt not kill" is a good idea, but there are definitely some obsolete laws in the 10 Commandments like "Remembering the Sabbath" and "Taking the Lord's name in vain." And no law against slavery? Oh yeah, that's right, the Bible condones slavery and killing homosexuals...

One time I knew a 13 yr. old who got jealous his gf tutored some other 13 yr. old boy.

If the emotion is fit for 13 yr. olds then why not God?

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:22 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I've always thought, that for such a perfect being, he sure does act a lot like us flawed humans. No false gods before me reeks of Narcissism and pride.

Old Post Mar 25th, 2017 08:24 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I've started reading this book and it's... amazing. This guy is so eloquent and intelligent and well-thought-out...

I could listen to him speak all day long. I think he has a Podcast that I'm going to start listening to also.

I've also ordered these two books...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

And I want to get this one...

Old Post Mar 27th, 2017 01:55 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I love this guy...

Old Post Mar 28th, 2017 06:52 PM
SamZED

I've started reading this book and it's... amazing. This guy is so eloquent and intelligent and well-thought-out...

I could listen to him speak all day long. I think he has a Podcast that I'm going to start listening to also.

I've also ordered these two books...

(please log in to view the image) (please log in to view the image)

And I want to get this one...

The podcast is "waking up with Sam Harris" I think. It's good, but Harris' calm tone works much better when he has someone to debate. Preferably someone with a temper.

Azula: My mommy didn't love me so I'm going to burn down your village.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 07:08 AM
SamZED is currently offline Click here to Send SamZED a Private Message Find more posts by SamZED Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chingchangwalla
Restricted

Account Restricted

http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/sam_harris.htm

This doesn't address the question but here are some 'rebuttals' to Sam Harris' work

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 11:31 AM
chingchangwalla is currently offline Click here to Send chingchangwalla a Private Message Find more posts by chingchangwalla Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

When talking about religions like Christianity or Islam you need to be specific, this is a figurative slaughtering of Christians. The guy didn't..rain meteors down on a city, only a crazed super villain would do that.

One time I was watching the Justice League cartoon and the villains were evil Atlanteans and they wanted to kill people by flooding the entire world. What kind of crazy a-hole would ever think of something that horrific?

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 12:46 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by SamZED
The podcast is "waking up with Sam Harris" I think. It's good, but Harris' calm tone works much better when he has someone to debate. Preferably someone with a temper.

Yeah, he's great in debates. So calm and collected. Even without his sound reasoning he would win debates simply with his demeanor. He has the patience and compassion of a true God... check out this, these clowns, The Young Turks, edited and completely misrepresented his views and he STILL is calm and compassionate. But they are seriously guilty of slander...

Originally posted by chingchangwalla
http://atheismexposed.tripod.com/sam_harris.htm

This doesn't address the question but here are some 'rebuttals' to Sam Harris' work

Doesn't address what question? (I can't get to the link at work)

I have yet to find any reasonable rebuttals to his views, but I'll certainly take a look at the link when I can. Whether you think he's right or not, he is at least starting conversations about this stuff, which I think is all he is trying to do. Because conversation is what the situation needs to resolve itself. I listened to this old NPR program and it's a really, really good conversation...

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 12:54 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Him trouncing Cenk from TYT in a debate is hilarious as well.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 12:59 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Him trouncing Cenk from TYT in a debate is hilarious as well.

link pliss?? eek!

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 01:03 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This?

*eats popcorn and stares intently*

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 03:25 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah that is it, Cenk really thinks he can keep up in that video, but he can't.

You will notice he is mostly about feelings, Harris is mostly about facts.

Sam almost has to explain this stuff to Cenk as if he is a child. He is also way way more patient with Cenk than I think most people would have been.

Last edited by Surtur on Mar 29th, 2017 at 05:09 PM

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 05:07 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Sam almost has to explain this stuff to Cenk as if he is a child. He is also way way more patient with Cenk than I think most people would have been.

Yeah, Sam is seriously my new favorite person in the world. His patience, knowledge, and complete lack of any condescension is nothing short of godlike. The way he conducts himself in debates is truly commendable.

I think some of the comments on that video sum it up pretty well...

quote:
TheSabatuer: as an xmuslim, i can wholeheartedly say, Sam understand Islam's doctrine and behaviors more than any muslim ive met, his precision in language and reason is really special. *~I respect Cenk Uygur~*, but he is really doing a bad job at this interview, he seems reluctant to actually tackle any of the arguments proposed, just looking for his turn to speak and come up with a counter argument, most of which are irrelevant.

Douglas Dulac: TheSabatuer I happen to agree with you,The Sabatuer. Sam has my utmost respect- for his knowledge, and his ability to thread ideas into a cohesive point. Incredibly knowledgeable. Cenk, who also has my respect, doesn't quite seem to understand Sam's position, at least not fully.

Brandon Schilling: I don't think Cenk understands basic logic and reasoning.

I haven't finished watching the video yet, but when Cent didn't understand the difference in probability between "Thinking Jesus is coming back" and "Thinking Jesus is coming back to [specific place]" I was truly astonished. I don't have a very good understanding of probability, but that's a pretty simple concept to me.

Old Post Mar 29th, 2017 06:59 PM