KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Batgirl Standalone Film

Batgirl Standalone Film
Started by: Firefly218

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 10:28 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack M
I forgot to add that whether you like BVS or not, the consensus is that the Ultimate edition is a MUCH better movie. The word of mouth was solid, seeing that it remained in the #1 slot for FOUR consecutive weeks. Not bad at all.

Hmm.. Ultimate Edition doesn't fix my biggest issue, which is that Batman was going to murder Superman. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Also doesn't fix Jesse's Luther.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 10:34 PM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 10:29 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

And seeing as Roughrider wanted the numbers:

Man of Steel, The Wolverine Beat Out Iron Man 3 in DVD and Blu-Ray Sales By a Wide Margin

It's all good beating IM3 on DVD. What it needed to do was generate the kind of excitement IM1 did, which I personally don't think it did.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 10:33 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

I forgot to add that whether you like BVS or not, the consensus is that the Ultimate edition is a MUCH better movie. The word of mouth was solid, seeing that it remained in the #1 slot for FOUR consecutive weeks. Not bad at all.

http://variety.com/2016/digital/new...ers-1201840573/

Suicide Squad did extremely well, too.

http://batman-news.com/2016/12/23/s...y-sales-charts/

The business model of "make the cinema cut a garbled mess then recut it for home release to make it less shitty so people will buy it" seems to work.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 10:33 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

The numbers have been posted many times throughout other threads, brah.

I never said MOS is more popular than some of the MCU films, just that it did EXTREMELY well on home video sales.

BTW, the last two DCEU films is a precursor to what JL and WW might make. DC has a huge fan base, and so far the box office shows. At least for opening weekend.

Suicide Squad's legs, for instance, was actually better than Civil Wars.

It's about how you finish at the end. Suicide Squad opened way bigger - like 80% bigger - than Guardians Of The Galaxy did in the same slot two years earlier. But by the end, GOTG still out-grossed it by a fair bit in the end.

MOS opened way bigger in 2013 than Thor: The Dark World did, but by the end the two films were only $30 million apart in worldwide take.

DC films are getting known for their huge drops after the huge opening weekend. Only the odd Marvel film drops off a cliff after opening weekend.

James Cameron films should be the ones to look to. Neither Titanic nor Avatar set any records for their opening weekends, but both would have the strongest box office legs since the original Star Wars Trilogy, grossing the same every week for months.

"I'm not smart so much as I am not dumb." - Harlan Ellison

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:23 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by roughrider
It's about how you finish at the end. Suicide Squad opened way bigger - like 80% bigger - than Guardians Of The Galaxy did in the same slot two years earlier. But by the end, GOTG still out-grossed it by a fair bit in the end.

MOS opened way bigger in 2013 than Thor: The Dark World did, but by the end the two films were only $30 million apart in worldwide take.

DC films are getting known for their huge drops after the huge opening weekend. Only the odd Marvel film drops off a cliff after opening weekend.

James Cameron films should be the ones to look to. Neither Titanic nor Avatar set any records for their opening weekends, but both would have the strongest box office legs since the original Star Wars Trilogy, grossing the same every week for months.

That's why I clarify opening weekend. Plus, you forget that Suicide Squad did not open up in China. If it did, it would have done MORE than GOTG. SS had one of the better runs for a super hero movie.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:26 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Darth Thor
It's all good beating IM3 on DVD. What it needed to do was generate the kind of excitement IM1 did, which I personally don't think it did.

I definitely disagree there.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:28 PM
roughrider
Thunderer

And seeing as Roughrider wanted the numbers:

Man of Steel, The Wolverine Beat Out Iron Man 3 in DVD and Blu-Ray Sales By a Wide Margin

And that offsets the extra $600 million that IM3 took home at the box office over MOS? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't think so.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:29 PM
roughrider is currently offline Click here to Send roughrider a Private Message Find more posts by roughrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
roughrider
Thunderer

That's why I clarify opening weekend. Plus, you forget that Suicide Squad did not open up in China. If it did, it would have done MORE than GOTG. SS had one of the better runs for a super hero movie.

What if, what if, what if...

It's what happened that matters.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:30 PM
Senor Cage

Hmm.. Ultimate Edition doesn't fix my biggest issue, which is that Batman was going to murder Superman. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Also doesn't fix Jesse's Luther.

I didn't have an issue with that. People complain that wb needs to follow the source material, and they have for the most part. Batman has killed before. In movies and comics.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:30 PM
Senor Cage

What if, what if, what if...

It's what happened that matters.

Are you kidding me? GOTG did 440 million overseas. Suicide squad did 420. Are you telling me that SS wouldn't have done over 20 million in China? Even BVS did more than that, and that movie had shitty legs. Nah, it would have done more OS than GOTG.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2017 11:33 PM
Senor Cage

And that offsets the extra $600 million that IM3 took home at the box office over MOS? roll eyes (sarcastic)

I don't think so.

I never said it did, but you're comparing IM 3 after he came off of one of the biggest movies- Avengers. Remember, MOS was the first movie in the DCEU and it still did more than most MCU at that point. IM had time to build up to get to those numbers.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 12:13 AM
Darth Thor

thumb up

I definitely disagree there.

What you think MOS generated the kind of hype and excitement IM1 did?

I personally don't even think it generated the kind of buzz Thor1 did.

I didn't have an issue with that. People complain that wb needs to follow the source material, and they have for the most part. Batman has killed before. In movies and comics.

He used to kill villains who got in the way. He didn't go on mission to outright murder other heroes, just in case there was a 1% chance they change their ways.

After the beloved Nolan trilogy audiences did find this Batman to be too violent.

At least admit Lex Luthor was horrible.

Are you kidding me? GOTG did 440 million overseas. Suicide squad did 420. Are you telling me that SS wouldn't have done over 20 million in China? Even BVS did more than that, and that movie had shitty legs. Nah, it would have done more OS than GOTG.

Point is GOTG had far better legs, and now it's sequel is looking at an opening of $150mill+. You really think an SS sequel would have an opening like that?

I never said it did, but you're comparing IM 3 after he came off of one of the biggest movies- Avengers. Remember, MOS was the first movie in the DCEU and it still did more than most MCU at that point. IM had time to build up to get to those numbers.

Yeah IM3 had monster numbers coming right off Avengers, followed by poor DVD sales because it was a bad movie which people who saw it didn't really want to buy.

Yeah yeah, MOS was the first movie. But you have JL coming this year, so those excuses of the DCEU being too young to make as much money as Marvel, will no longer apply.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 07:54 AM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 07:41 AM
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

IM3 is far from being a bad movie, Maybe at most average.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 08:06 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote:

What you think MOS generated the kind of hype and excitement IM1 did?

I personally don't even think it generated the kind of buzz Thor1 did.

Of course it generated buzz. The proof is in the box office/sales. For a movie that was destroyed by critics, it did pretty well.

quote:
He used to kill villains who got in the way. He didn't go on mission to outright murder other heroes, just in case there was a 1% chance they change their ways.

After the beloved Nolan trilogy audiences did find this Batman to be too violent.

At least admit Lex Luthor was horrible.

Batman wasn’t certain that he would stay a hero or that he was a hero in the first place. All he saw was the destruction he caused. Kind of reminds me of how Batman is in the comics. He’s WILLING to kill, for the greater good. Even if that’s Superman.

quote:
Point is GOTG had far better legs, and now it's sequel is looking at an opening of $150mill+. You really think an SS sequel would have an opening like that?

It had better legs because it opened BELOW Suicide Squad. That’s to be expected. Civil War had a drop, too. And inferior legs. Point is, SS would have made more, if it opened in China. It’s certainly possible for SS sequel to open higher than 133/150. Why can’t it? Harley has a huge fan base now.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 08:45 AM
Darth Thor

Wow, you're awake at all hours Zack:

Of course it generated buzz. The proof is in the box office/sales. For a movie that was destroyed by critics, it did pretty well.

There was some buzz. But it clearly wasn't Iron Man type buzz.

Batman wasn’t certain that he would stay a hero or that he was a hero in the first place. All he saw was the destruction he caused. Kind of reminds me of how Batman is in the comics. He’s WILLING to kill, for the greater good. Even if that’s Superman.

Except Superman did nothing wrong erm

At least he did nothing that Batman doesn't do himself, which portrays Batman as a bit of a hypocrite.

That's just how most people seem to feel about his portrayal.

That and they feel this Superman is too miserable/dull all the time.

It had better legs because it opened BELOW Suicide Squad. That’s to be expected.

That's a strange theory.

OW is down to marketing and hype. Box Office Legs is down to WOM.

Civil War had a drop, too. And inferior legs.

Stop comparing to Civil War Lol. That was the biggest movie of the year. Bigger than R1.

We've yet to see if even Justice League can make those kind of numbers that Civil War made.

Point is, SS would have made more, if it opened in China. It’s certainly possible for SS sequel to open higher than 133/150. Why can’t it? Harley has a huge fan base now.

No one's denying SS did huge numbers.

Just that in terms of WOM it didn't generate the kind of buzz IM1 or GOTG or even Thor1 did.

Heck Ayer himself has admitted now the film wasn't that good. Which is why Ayer is better to keep around than Snyder, because Ayer might actually learn from his mistakes.

No idea why they've relied on Snyder for everything. It's almost as if WB/DC doesn't want to get Universal praise for it's biggest movies.

Either that or Snyder's got something big on them Lol

Last edited by Darth Thor on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 09:55 AM

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 09:43 AM
Senor Cage

quote:
Wow, you're awake at all hours Zack:

I have to. I got stuck at work. mad

quote:
There was some buzz. But it clearly wasn't Iron Man type buzz.

I honestly don't care if it was IM buzz, as long as it draws new fans to the character. My friend for instance loved MOS (He hates practically everything Superman). You don't always have to compare everything to MCU. MOS was a success in it's own right.

quote:
Except Superman did nothing wrong erm

At least he did nothing that Batman doesn't do himself, which portrays Batman as a bit of a hypocrite.

That's just how most people seem to feel about his portrayal.

That and they feel this Superman is too miserable/dull all the time.

Of course he didn't do anything wrong (in our eyes), but Batman didn't share the same opinion. Like I said, all he saw was destruction.

Batman has had flaws for a long time. Like I said, close to the comic version.

quote:
That's a strange theory.

OW is down to marketing and hype. Box Office Legs is down to WOM.

I just read on the BO forums that generally when a movie has a huge OW, the drop will be steeper the next week. Doesn't apply to every movie, though. Suicide Squad DID do more on OW than GOTG by a good margin and it did have good WOM.

quote:
Stop comparing to Civil War Lol. That was the biggest movie of the year. Bigger than R1.

We've yet to see if even Justice League can make those kind of numbers that Civil War made.

Hey, YOU are comparing success by box office. You keep on mentioning, "MOS didn't have IM buzz" or "DCEU isn't doing MCU numbers" (Even though it doesn't have to) DCEU is a success in it's own right. It doesn't always have to copy MCU for success. And Warner keeps on adding movies to their lineup. Whether they are officially green lit remains to be seen.

quote:
No one's denying SS did huge numbers.

Just that in terms of WOM it didn't generate the kind of buzz IM1 or GOTG or even Thor1 did.

Heck Ayer himself has admitted now the film wasn't that good. Which is why Ayer is better to keep around than Snyder, because Ayer might actually learn from his mistakes.

No idea why they've relied on Snyder for everything. It's almost as if WB/DC doesn't want to get Universal praise for it's biggest movies.

Either that or Snyder's got something big on them Lol

Lol. Thor 1. I don't know many people who like the Thor movies. I think SS had a much bigger splash than Thor, but agree to disagree.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 06:44 PM
Darth Thor

^ You're right, doesn't have to be as good as Marvel to be good, but then we should just accept that Marvel is the ultimate shared universe, and stop comparing the two. But come on, don't compare Suicide Squad to the biggest film of 2016, which was Universally praised by fans and critics.

I don't think Snyder really gets the characters, which is why they're not as faithful to the source material as people would like. Greater care should have been taken with Batman especially, after they decided to reboot such a beloved and successful version of the character.

Obviously WOM can't effect OW, because nobody's see it yet, lol. WOM is only really seen by the 2nd weekend onwards. But that's not the only sign. Overall box office multipliers, DVD sales, merchandise sales, and OW for the sequel are all signs of WOM.

Thor1 had huge buzz which lead to Avengers being the biggest superhero film of all time. That wasn't all down just to Iron Man you know Lol. Thor and Loki were Huge, people have just forgotten.

Like I already mentioned the reputation of the Thor films have gone down in recent years due to The Dark World being bad, Thor not having much to do in AOU, and more of a focus on Cap.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 07:13 PM
Senor Cage

^ You're right, doesn't have to be as good as Marvel to be good, but then we should just accept that Marvel is the ultimate shared universe, and stop comparing the two. But come on, don't compare Suicide Squad to the biggest film of 2016, which was Universally praised by fans and critics.

I don't think Snyder really gets the characters, which is why they're not as faithful to the source material as people would like. Greater care should have been taken with Batman especially, after they decided to reboot such a beloved and successful version of the character.

Obviously WOM can't effect OW, because nobody's see it yet, lol. WOM is only really seen by the 2nd weekend onwards. But that's not the only sign. Overall box office multipliers, DVD sales, merchandise sales, and OW for the sequel are all signs of WOM.

Thor1 had huge buzz which lead to Avengers being the biggest superhero film of all time. That wasn't all down just to Iron Man you know Lol. Thor and Loki were Huge, people have just forgotten.

Like I already mentioned the reputation of the Thor films have gone down in recent years due to The Dark World being bad, Thor not having much to do in AOU, and more of a focus on Cap.

I'm not really comparing SS to CW. The only thing I noted is that it had better legs, seeing as people keep on comparing MCU to DCEU. I only wanted to point out that it had one of the more impressive runs in recent memory. Both Deadpool and SS did.

And SS was pretty damn close to the source material, if people were to actually read the comics.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 07:51 PM
Darth Thor

I'm not really comparing SS to CW. The only thing I noted is that it had better legs, seeing as people keep on comparing MCU to DCEU. I only wanted to point out that it had one of the more impressive runs in recent memory. Both Deadpool and SS did.

And SS was pretty damn close to the source material, if people were to actually read the comics.

Deadpool had the better BO multiplier though, plus was more Universally praised.

Neither of their BO multipliers were anything amazing though, but impressive for previously unknown properties.

Suicide Squad certainly had some good aspects to it, but the main villain and final act really dented it, which Ayer himself has admitted to.

Plus it did nothing to set up Justice League (aside from the post credit scene).

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 09:59 PM