KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Batgirl Standalone Film

Batgirl Standalone Film
Started by: Firefly218

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (10): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

quote:
Deadpool had the better BO multiplier though, plus was more Universally praised.

Well, duh. I already know that DP had better legs. It had amazing legs, actually.

quote:
Neither of their BO multipliers were anything amazing though, but impressive for previously unknown properties.

I said their BO RUNS were amazing. Which it was. Earning over 700 M WW WITHOUT the second largest market (China) is impressive, especially when both movies largely featured unknown characters.

quote:
Suicide Squad certainly had some good aspects to it, but the main villain and final act really dented it, which Ayer himself has admitted to.

I saw nothing wrong with the villain. Enchantress has gone rogue before, and it usually takes a team to defeat her.

quote:
Plus it did nothing to set up Justice League (aside from the post credit scene).

I don't really care about all movies being interconnected. Just that I enjoy them, which I highly enjoyed SS. I thought it was better than MOS, tbh.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2017 11:57 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack M
Well, duh. I already know that DP had better legs. It had amazing legs, actually.

I said their BO RUNS were amazing. Which it was. Earning over 700 M WW WITHOUT the second largest market (China) is impressive, especially when both movies largely featured unknown characters.

I saw nothing wrong with the villain. Enchantress has gone rogue before, and it usually takes a team to defeat her.

I don't really care about all movies being interconnected. Just that I enjoy them, which I highly enjoyed SS. I thought it was better than MOS, tbh.

Deadpool had a box office multiplier of 2.7. Which is really good, but not "amazing". Most of Marvel's phase I matched that. What was amazing was it's OW and general hype for such an unknown property, and lighting up the box office at a time of year that's usually dead. Oh and being R Rated, but still crushing all previous X-Men movies including DOFP. That was all amazing.

Yes SS and DP both earned a lot. No ones arguing that. Of course DP's performance was better, had stronger legs, and was far more impressive for the reasons stated above.

Dude the villain was terrible. Terrible. Even Ayer admits it. You're the only one defending that. Dc desperately needs a movie that not only makes money but is clearly loved by audiences. Otherwise they're just going to carry on surviving based on big comic book names and star power, but with no real love for their films. And a lot of hate.

You're in the minority for not liking the shared universe. But tbh I think for DC they should step back from it and just do solo films for now. Because their shared universe is not natural and is being forced to catch up with Marvel, which is why it's not working.

Wonder Woman, for example, being set in the past away from the shared Universe looks to be their best movie yet. Shame about the casting though stick out tongue

Old Post Apr 4th, 2017 07:40 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Originally posted by Darth Thor
I don't think Snyder really gets the characters, which is why they're not as faithful to the source material as people would like. Greater care should have been taken with Batman especially, after they decided to reboot such a beloved and successful version of the character.

At least he didn't get raped in prison, which was an idea Snyder actually threw out there during a Watchmen interview.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2017 08:07 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Deadpool had a box office multiplier of 2.7. Which is really good, but not "amazing". Most of Marvel's phase I matched that. What was amazing was it's OW and general hype for such an unknown property, and lighting up the box office at a time of year that's usually dead. Oh and being R Rated, but still crushing all previous X-Men movies including DOFP. That was all amazing.

Yes SS and DP both earned a lot. No ones arguing that. Of course DP's performance was better, had stronger legs, and was far more impressive for the reasons stated above.

Dude the villain was terrible. Terrible. Even Ayer admits it. You're the only one defending that. Dc desperately needs a movie that not only makes money but is clearly loved by audiences. Otherwise they're just going to carry on surviving based on big comic book names and star power, but with no real love for their films. And a lot of hate.

You're in the minority for not liking the shared universe. But tbh I think for DC they should step back from it and just do solo films for now. Because their shared universe is not natural and is being forced to catch up with Marvel, which is why it's not working.

Wonder Woman, for example, being set in the past away from the shared Universe looks to be their best movie yet. Shame about the casting though stick out tongue

What I said wasn't false. Both DP and SS had an amazing run at the BO. I remember YOU and a multitude of people saying Suicide Squad wouldn't make it past 500/600 M WW, with the mind that it would release everywhere. It over performed and earned a lot more without China.

Agree to disagree about the villain. When did Ayer say it was terrible? That is pretty much Enchantress in a nutshell.

I never said I didn't like the shared universe, just that not every movie needs to be linked together.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2017 10:34 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

What I said wasn't false. Both DP and SS had an amazing run at the BO. I remember YOU and a multitude of people saying Suicide Squad wouldn't make it past 500/600 M WW, with the mind that it would release everywhere. It over performed and earned a lot more without China.

Agree to disagree about the villain. When did Ayer say it was terrible? That is pretty much Enchantress in a nutshell.

I never said I didn't like the shared universe, just that not every movie needs to be linked together.

I didn't realise at the time SS needed $600mill just to break even. Honestly it would have been far better for WB/DC if SS was just a really well received movie than a box office smash. Still though, in terms of box office multipliers not 1 of the DCEU films has reached a 2.5. The reason is what I've always said, they're banking on big names that make a quick buck, instead of having passion for the projects and building up goodwill for their shared universe.

He said in a tweet responding to a fan praising SS, that the movie wasn't perfect, and that if he could go back he'd make Joker the main villain. He clearly has regrets, and isn't just praising the money the film has grossed. Google it and you'll see.

Well Marvel did link everything wonderfully in Phase I, which is why everyone is trying to imitate them now. What Marvel has done is simply a huge part of cinematic history now.

Anyway let's hope Wonder Woman knocks it out of the park.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2017 10:48 PM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

I didn't realise at the time SS needed $600mill just to break even. Honestly it would have been far better for WB/DC if SS was just a really well received movie than a box office smash. Still though, in terms of box office multipliers not 1 of the DCEU films has reached a 2.5. The reason is what I've always said, they're banking on big names that make a quick buck, instead of having passion for the projects and building up goodwill for their shared universe.

He said in a tweet responding to a fan praising SS, that the movie wasn't perfect, and that if he could go back he'd make Joker the main villain. He clearly has regrets, and isn't just praising the money the film has grossed. Google it and you'll see.

Well Marvel did link everything wonderfully in Phase I, which is why everyone is trying to imitate them now. What Marvel has done is simply a huge part of cinematic history now.

Like I already said before, SS over performed on OW, earning much more than the first GOTG film. It still had decent legs and in the grand scheme of things, had one of the most impressive runs to date, barring China and Mexico.

CW had a multiplier of 2.28, but that's to be expected, since it opened huge.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2017 11:46 PM
Senor Cage

BTW, I Googled Ayer and he didn't say he "Hated Enchantress", he said that he would do things differently, and use Joker as the villain. But that wouldn't be much of a "Suicide" mission, TBH. Unless Joker had one-sided prep.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2017 11:47 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Excuses.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2017 02:03 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

doubtful lol

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 5th, 2017 02:08 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
doubtful lol
thumb up

Old Post Apr 5th, 2017 02:09 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Like I already said before, SS over performed on OW, earning much more than the first GOTG film. It still had decent legs and in the grand scheme of things, had one of the most impressive runs to date, barring China and Mexico.

CW had a multiplier of 2.28, but that's to be expected, since it opened huge.

So why are all DC films overperforming on OW?

Lol you keep clinging onto Civil War's multiplier. Difference is Civil War's predecessors (Captain America and Avenger films) have all had really good multipliers. Not sure why CW didn't, but it was a one off, and still the biggest movie of the year, and still Universally loved.

BTW, I Googled Ayer and he didn't say he "Hated Enchantress", he said that he would do things differently, and use Joker as the villain. But that wouldn't be much of a "Suicide" mission, TBH. Unless Joker had one-sided prep.

Point is he has regrets because he knows he didn't make a great film. Which is why he's a hundred times better than Snyder tbh.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2017 12:10 PM
Senor Cage

So why are all DC films overperforming on OW?

Lol you keep clinging onto Civil War's multiplier. Difference is Civil War's predecessors (Captain America and Avenger films) have all had really good multipliers. Not sure why CW didn't, but it was a one off, and still the biggest movie of the year, and still Universally loved.

Point is he has regrets because he knows he didn't make a great film. Which is why he's a hundred times better than Snyder tbh.

Don't know, tbh. Its been that way for a while, for the exception of Nolans series.

And Ayer wanted the Joker to be the villain, to make the movie more grounded. He never said that he hated enchantress as the villain. Choose your words more carefully.

Old Post Apr 5th, 2017 06:37 PM
Darth Thor

Don't know, tbh. Its been that way for a while, for the exception of Nolans series.

It's because the Nolan films were really well received. It's not some mystery. Bad box office multipliers are generally a sign of films not having great WOM. And before you go on about Civil War, that's the outlier.

And Ayer wanted the Joker to be the villain, to make the movie more grounded. He never said that he hated enchantress as the villain. Choose your words more carefully.

Dude, he's not happy with the movie he made, and he would correct that by changing the villain. It's not hard to put 2 & 2 together.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Apr 6th, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2017 12:20 PM
Senor Cage

It's because the Nolan films were really well received. It's not some mystery. Bad box office multipliers are generally a sign of films not having great WOM. And before you go on about Civil War, that's the outlier.

Dude, he's not happy with the movie he made, and he would correct that by changing the villain. It's not hard to put 2 & 2 together.

Two things you said were different though. I have no problem saying Ayer hated the FINAL product, but he never said he hated Enchantress.

Anyway, back on topic.

Looks like Joss Whedon is all but confirmed.

Joss Whedon on 'Batgirl' and Exploring the "Damage" Behind His Next Superhero

quote:
"She came up, and I started getting obsessed with how a young woman could get hardcore enough to need to put on the cowl. Like, What's her damage?" he told Heat Vision.

He noted unlike Batman, Batgirl has no childhood tragedy that forced her into a life of crime fighting.

"She didn't have her parents killed in an alley. Who is this person, who decides — rather than being forced to by their childhood trauma — decides to pick up this life?" he said. "How intense and driven that person is ... I just couldn't stop thinking about it."

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 06:42 PM
Darth Thor

Cool. He'll kill it.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 09:14 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

whedon will f%ck it up since WB loves too interfere

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 10:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

How would that be Whedon's fault?

Sometimes it feels you're trying too hard with the hate just to fit in.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 10:52 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Until the DCEU produces a good film, people will remain skeptical.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 11:38 PM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by playa1258
Until the DCEU produces a good film, people will remain skeptical.

Yeah, but that's not the same as Whedon will mess it up. Unless you have a good reason.

Old Post Apr 20th, 2017 11:41 PM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

^ That, basically. Surprised I ended up agreeing with Zack M on something here, but yeah; it's natural to be skeptical, but to assume this film would automatically be Whedon's fault if it falls short isn't really logical. David Ayer's a good director under normal conditions, and the fact he did what ended up being the heavily altered shit that was Suicide Squad which he wasn't entirely proud of doesn't make it less so or on him.

Old Post Apr 21st, 2017 12:05 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote