KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Hamill to Johnson: "I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything..."

Hamill to Johnson: "I fundamentally disagree with virtually everything..."
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Beniboybling
Worst Member

That's not what I said lol. But Luke not experiencing some kind of emotional development over the course of those 30 years would make him a Yoda clone yeah.

The fact that people seem to have no issue with Luke having a range of emotion and indeed alignment in the EU making the outrage here only more puzzling.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:45 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Beniboybling
That's not what I said lol. But Luke not experiencing some kind of emotional development over the course of those 30 years would make him a Yoda clone yeah.

Who said Luke couldn't have emotional development?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:45 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Luke gets emotional development from things like Mara's death, Jacen's fall to the dark side, etc. No idea what you're talking about.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:46 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I'm talking about the movies lmao.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:47 AM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Who said Luke couldn't have emotional development?
You apparently. Sadness and defeat (and the dark side) are apparently off-limits to Luke now. sad

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:48 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

I agree with Beni 99% on this, honestly.

The 1% off since, well, he's Beni. thumb up

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:49 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheNuisanceBird
Wrecker - Scientist Class

Originally posted by SunRazer
Luke gets emotional development from things like Mara's death, Jacen's fall to the dark side, etc. No idea what you're talking about.

He's also had a cursed love life.

"Dooku is not top tier,-" - Jensaarai1.

YouTube Channel With VS Videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbhNQdtnbLQf80P-91V917w
IG: red_spade_25
Twitter: @AnikenJonas

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:51 AM
Click here to Send TheNuisanceBird a Private Message Find more posts by TheNuisanceBird Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

You apparently. Sadness and defeat (and the dark side) are apparently off-limits to Luke now. sad

Thats not close to what I said.

Sadness and defeat is fine(and happens frequently through the saga and the eu).

But you don't need to destroy everything luke worked towards off screen for luke to experience sadness and defeat

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:55 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Uhuh, so what fundamentally is the issue here? Luke's state of mind or the events that led him here? Seems to me you have an issue with both.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 12:59 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Most of this bickering is pointless until we see what character development Luke actually has in TLJ.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:00 AM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

this bickering is pointless
lel smile

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:01 AM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:08 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Uhuh, so what fundamentally is the issue here? Luke's state of mind or the events that led him here? Seems to me you have an issue with both.

Both.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:09 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

So you admit it, Luke isn't allowed to be depressed. sad

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:12 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

https://youtu.be/YnNSnJbjdws?t=117

Found disney's offical stance on this:
https://youtu.be/YnNSnJbjdws?t=31s

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:12 AM
Darth Thor

Wow people are really triggered.

What's sad is that unlike TFA it's in a position to break the mold. Yet folks whine anyway. erm

You seem like the one whose triggered tbh.

People are entitled to not like what they saw in this trailer you know.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:42 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

And I'm entitled to correct their poor judgement. u mad?

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 01:46 AM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Anyway. The issue I see here is primarily an overabundance of reverence and, especially, an inflexibility when it comes to things different to what we've come to expect. It was the same bug bear that was had for the Prequels, which were in part hated for everything about the OT they were not (and when TFA responded by serving up a retro movie, it suffered because of it) - the idea that fundamentally there exist these oh so precious concepts that are in constant danger of being ruined.

Fundamentally, there should be nothing off-limits where it comes to the character of Luke, and I can't help but find the idea that Luke cannot inhabit certain emotions - however dramatic - to be absurd. So far as it makes sense, makes for an interesting plot, and ties in with saga thematically, this shouldn't be an issue, at all. While personally I find the idea of Luke inhabiting a space so estranged from what we're are familiar with, an idealistic, quintessential truest of true heroes, to be an intensely exciting prospect, and not something to be shied away from. It offers up a new, original dynamic and take on the character, as well as an opportunity to explore Luke's character itself in greater depth.

The fact that the transition itself occurs "off-panel" as it's been said shouldn't really matter, so far as we are able to understand the character's motivations and situation so the viewer is not left confused. A movie is concerned with the meat of the issue, and just as we don't need to know the events that made Anakin Vader to understand and empathise with his arc in OT, it shouldn't be necessary here either.

As for this tired mantra of "it undermines the OT", I really question whether people believe it, that, in fact, when they go and rewatch Return of the Jedi, the experience will be somehow now be diminished. For starters it's not as if any of Luke's accomplishments in that movie have been undone, the Empire lost, the Emperor kicked the bucket, his father was redeemed and Luke became in a position to reestablish the Jedi. The fact that several decades later sh*t hit the fan shouldn't detract from any that, because there was nothing implicit in the ending of RotJ that everything was going to work out, or that everything would remain the same. Certainly it's not as if this critique has ever been raised for say, the KOTOR series, where in despite saving the galaxy in the first game, it's in a worst state than ever in the next. I'd be interested to here if anything seriously believes this to be problematic, and would advocate the driving conflict of KOTOR II be expunged because "it undermines da Revan's achievements!!111!"

On the other hand the idea that things just worked out for Luke is 1. predictable and 2. offers little room for conflict and growth. Instead things must go wrong to create new obstacles to Luke for overcome. Bigger being better in this respect, the greater the obstacle, the greater the stakes and the greater the growth in defeating it. Indeed I think it's also true that people are being incredibly short sighted here. Chances are everything is going to work out for Luke in the end, in the sense that he's going to reach some sort of resolution, and achieve some level of closure. So asserting that turns out poor old Lukey is just a depressed old failure is to entirely jump the gun, at present this is merely a bump in the road, an additional stage in and indeed spring board for his story arc.

What I most like about this plot point though is that it's addressing a theme that, in both Legends and Canon, has gone largely unaddressed. That the Jedi kinda suck. In the OT they are represented by a pair of old geezers who though clearly possessing good intentions and ignored by Luke on two critical accounts, and much to his benefit. Whereas in the PT they are slated as almost a universally terrible and failed order who in part brought about their own demise. And in both cases they are very very bad at handling those who are in danger of falling or have fallen to the dark side. Or rather the idea of Luke simply setting up a new Order and getting back to business would pretend as if thematically, these realities didn't exist, in which case its no surprise that when he did attempt this things went pear shaped. Whereas confronting the idea head on that maybe the Jedi do need to end, or at the very least, need to be reformed, to stop this endless cycle of boom and inevitable bust, fits in well with a character whom I have at least always seen, as someone different from the Jedi of the past, and who would do things differently, and themes of Star Wars as a whole. Nor a subject that should be shied away from at the risk of pissing off some fans.

Anyway, I wrote this out because I'm not interesting in bickering about until December. These are my thoughts, take them or leave them.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 03:02 AM
UCanShootMyNova

Triggered

*Gives Beni a comforting shoulder squeeze*

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 03:08 AM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

What I most like about this plot point though is that it's addressing a theme that, in both Legends and Canon, has gone largely unaddressed. That the Jedi kinda suck. In the OT they are represented by a pair of old geezers who though clearly possessing good intentions and ignored by Luke on two critical accounts, and much to his benefit. Whereas in the PT they are slated as almost a universally terrible and failed order who in part brought about their own demise. And in both cases they are very very bad at handling those who are in danger of falling or have fallen to the dark side. Or rather the idea of Luke simply setting up a new Order and getting back to business would pretend as if thematically, these realities didn't exist, in which case its no surprise that when he did attempt this things went pear shaped. Whereas confronting the idea head on that maybe the Jedi do need to end, or at the very least, need to be reformed, to stop this endless cycle of boom and inevitable bust, fits in well with a character whom I have at least always seen, as someone different from the Jedi of the past, and who would do things differently, and themes of Star Wars as a whole. Nor a subject that should be shied away from at the risk of pissing off some fans.

If they go this way, I will be pleased.

I disagree with the rest.

Edit: BTW, Luke's order in the EU was quite different especially at the end of the NJO. Unfortunately, LotF made the order more like the PT's.

Last edited by ares834 on Apr 16th, 2017 at 03:29 AM

Old Post Apr 16th, 2017 03:23 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote