KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » How the hell can Superman beat Silver Surfer?

How the hell can Superman beat Silver Surfer?
Started by: RadZoa

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (22): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Smurph
------

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Philosophía
If I punch you in the face, is you getting punched in the face a side-effect?

It's literally defined by it being intent, so this is quite the stupid thing to say.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/side--effect

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dic...y/side%20effect

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...ish/side-effect

If you punch me in the face with your fist because you wanted to give me a black eye, it's both correct to say "Phil gave me a black eye" and "As a side effect of Phil's punch, I got a black eye".

Just depends what you want to emphasize, and it doesn't depend on whether or not you cared more about giving me a black eye than punching me with your fist.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:32 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Are you, like, going to just ignore this part:
Saying he created a blackhole isn't 'like saying he shot one out of his hand', anymore than saying Firestorm creating salt means 'he shot salt out of his hand'. Jesus. F*cking. Christ. Goober.

Or are you going to feign you didn't just say something incredibly stupid?

Firestorm creating salt is a matter of transmutation, the blackhole was specifically attributed to an energy discharge by Surfer... not the same thing.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:32 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

Originally posted by Smurph
If you punch me in the face with your fist because you wanted to give me a black eye, it's both correct to say "Phil gave me a black eye" and "As a side effect of Phil's punch, I got a black eye".

Just depends what you want to emphasize, and it doesn't depend on whether or not you cared more about giving me a black eye than punching me with your fist.

If I wanted to give you a black eye and punched you in it, is the black eye a side effect, or the primary effect of what I wanted?

Originally posted by darthgoober
Firestorm creating salt is a matter of transmutation, the blackhole was specifically attributed to an energy discharge by Surfer... not the same thing.

I take it you're as good at physics as you are at knowing what words mean.

Take a hike, read how black holes are created, then come back to me.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Last edited by Philosophía on Apr 26th, 2017 at 07:36 PM

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:34 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Hey Smurph how you doing? Been a while...

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:34 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Morg still had the WOL till the whole thing with Tyrant. It became less powerful over time, but some of it still remained.

No, he didn't. The writer didn't take it into account and there is no mention of it in any issues Morg appeared in.
quote:

Direct character showings are frequently subject to some level of PIS, uber feats are what seperate the mid heralds from the high heralds.

And Uber feats are what separates Superman from high heralds. He is in a league of his own.
quote:

It's why Thor and Superman are in a tier above BRB and Captain Marvel on KMC.

Thor is wrongly placed above BRB. Superman is and always was above Cap when he actually cuts loose and has defeated Captain Marvel straight up and almost beat him to death.

Surfer just doesn't has the quality or quantity of Superman's high end feats. Superman's average is Surfer's high end feats.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:35 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by abhilegend
No, he didn't. The writer didn't take it into account and there is no mention of it in any issues Morg appeared in.

And Uber feats are what separates Superman from high heralds. He is in a league of his own.

Thor is wrongly placed above BRB. Superman is and always was above Cap when he actually cuts loose and has defeated Captain Marvel straight up and almost beat him to death.

Surfer just doesn't has the quality or quantity of Superman's high end feats. Superman's average is Surfer's high end feats.

He still had it when the whole Tyrant thing went down. Consider it a retcon if you like, but it's still accurate to say that he beat Morg w/WOL because the recton deemed it to be so.

As for the rest... blah, blah, blah... feats still hold significant weight on KMC. If you don't like it, try to get the mods to change it.

Last edited by darthgoober on Apr 26th, 2017 at 07:40 PM

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:37 PM
darthgoober

If I wanted to give you a black eye and punched you in it, is the black eye a side effect, or the primary effect of what I wanted?

I take it you're as good at physics as you are at knowing what words mean.

Take a hike, read how black holes are created, then come back to me.

I know how THAT black hole was created... because of Surfer's energy discharge. It's right there on panel.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:39 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

He still had it when the whole Tyrant thing went down. Consider it a retcon if you like, but it's still actuat to say that he beat Morg w/WOL because the recton deemed it to be so.

Yeah, I need to see this retcon before you go any further.

quote:

As for the rest... blah, blah, blah... feats still hold significant weight on KMC. If you don't like, get the mods to change it.

Yeah, they do. Just not as much as you think. Surfer can't even singe Superman's hair by feats if you want to go by that route.

Superman has actually tanked a black hole that was pulling whole multiverse in. Try to beat that if you want.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:41 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

I know how THAT black hole was created... because of Surfer's energy discharge. It's right there on panel.

Which he intentionally generated to create a black hole.

thumb up

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:42 PM
Philosophía

Black holes aren't created by shooting energy randomly. It involves compression of matter.

Like I said, this is another topic you're clueless. Read on it, then come back.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:43 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

oh man, i cannot wait to read through this thread... the desire to read is nearly enough to make me late for my own bday celebration. laughing out loud

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:43 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Yeah, I need to see this retcon before you go any further.

Yeah, they do. Just not as much as you think. Surfer can't even singe Superman's hair by feats if you want to go by that route.

Superman has actually tanked a black hole that was pulling whole multiverse in. Try to beat that if you want.

Talk to Ambient, he's the one who pointed it out to me a while back.

And hey, I haven't been trying to compare Supes and Surfer in this thread, I've only been addressing Surfer's feat. Then you chimed in with your typical "feats aren't what matter" type of arguement and here we are.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:44 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Happy Birthday you old coot.

Philosophía

Originally posted by leonidas
oh man, i cannot wait to read through this thread... the desire to read is nearly enough to make me late for my own bday celebration. laughing out loud
Happy Birthday, leo big grin

Cogito

Re: How the hell can Superman beat Silver Surfer?

Originally posted by RadZoa
How can a bloodlusted Superman beat a bloodlusted Silver Surfer?

By punching him in the face, duh.
Originally posted by Surtur
Why wouldn't a bloodlusted Surfer just create kryptonite? Or red sun radiation? Or both?

Kryptonite not native to Superman's universe has been shown to be ineffective. Even if Surfer could make it work, he'd have to do it while getting punched in the face.

Red sun radiation is not an insta-lose for Supes. He's flown through Krypton's red sun before ffs.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:45 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Black holes aren't created by shooting energy randomly. It involves compression of matter.

Like I said, this is another topic you're clueless. Read on it, then come back.

Except that this one WAS... as specifically noted on panel. Car's also can't be picked up and thrown by human sized characters and nothing made of matter can go faster than light in real life just so you know...

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:46 PM
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Talk to Ambient, he's the one who pointed it out to me a while back.

I debunked Roldz claim a few years back actually. I know everything about that claim.
quote:

And hey, I haven't been trying to compare Supes and Surfer in this thread, I've only been addressing Surfer's feat. Then you chimed in with your typical "feats aren't what matter" type of arguement and here we are.

Yeah, random feats don't matter in large scale of things. Even in the same series we see Surfer going all out against T&A and no black holes are created or he even managed to do anything to them.

Only relative performance matters and Surfer is piss poor in that.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:47 PM
Smurph
------

(please log in to view the image)

Can't get any clearer than that.
You really helped clear up that Surfer generated a black hole... as a secondary effect to his energy discharge.

If I extend my fist to punch you in the face, is you getting punched in the face a side-effect and my fist being extended a primary effect?

It's literally defined by it being intent, so this is quite the stupid thing to say.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/side--effect

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dic...y/side%20effect

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...ish/side-effect

Here, let me help you out Phil:

quote:
Merriam-Webster: a secondary and usually adverse effect (as of a drug) toxic side effects —called also side reaction
No mention of intent.

quote:
Dictionary.com:
2. any accompanying or consequential and usually detrimental effect
No mention of intent.

As I said, cherry picking definitions.

The black hole was an accompanying, consequential effect of an energy blast. It's worth specifying that the black hole was an accompanying, consequential effect of a different action that Surfer took because, intended or otherwise, it emphasizes that the black hole was created indirectly, and therefore with greater ease.

Man, if only we had a word for that....

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:49 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

I debunked Roldz claim a few years back actually. I know everything about that claim.

Yeah, random feats don't matter in large scale of things. Even in the same series we see Surfer going all out against T&A and no black holes are created or he even managed to do anything to them.

Only relative performance matters and Surfer is piss poor in that.

You refusing to acknowledge the validity isn't the same as "debunking".

Not on KMC. On KMC feats matter and since this is the place where the debates are taking place that's just the way is whether you like it or not.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:50 PM
Smurph
------

Hey Smurph how you doing? Been a while...
Pretty good! You?

It has been... I was gone for a bit, and I wasn't sure if you were still lurking here or not.
Originally posted by leonidas
Happy birthday... don't party too late, old man.

Old Post Apr 26th, 2017 07:52 PM