KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Debunking the Dooku Myth

Debunking the Dooku Myth
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Fated Xtasy
Kami

I find this is going to bite Ant in his ass one day. But meh

Anywho we could also take Dooku's words for value. I mean he is an arrogant sob so he probably would refer to himself as Yodas equal or something? /shrug

He's still top 15 msterial

Old Post May 7th, 2017 11:16 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AncientPower
The Chosen One

The fact this has to be pointed out shows just how massively out of control PT wank has gotten. It's time for Operation Knightfall. thumb up

Within your furnace heart, you burn in your own flame. This is how it feels to be Anakin Skywalker.

Old Post May 7th, 2017 11:49 PM
Click here to Send AncientPower a Private Message Find more posts by AncientPower Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why did you leave out the fact that Dooku wounded Yoda on Vjun?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post May 7th, 2017 11:53 PM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Because that wasn't relevant to his fight on Geonosis, lmfao?

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 7th, 2017 11:56 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Unbowed
Good thread. Dooku is more or less equal to TCW Maul and solid tier below Sidious and Yoda in both dueling and Force power.

laughing No. Dooku still rapes Maul. But yeah Yoda is Dooku's superior. Good thread.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 8th, 2017 12:20 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
He's still top 15 msterial

As a duelist, or overall?

Old Post May 8th, 2017 12:25 AM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Lord Stark
laughing No. Dooku still rapes Maul. But yeah Yoda is Dooku's superior. Good thread.

Its too bad literally no has argued yoda isn't>dooku.

Old Post May 8th, 2017 12:36 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Its too bad literally no has argued yoda isn't>dooku.

Really? The word no has argued that Yoda isn't> Dooku. Tell me more.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:36 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Really? The word no has argued that Yoda isn't> Dooku. Tell me more.

The word yes makes better arguments tbh

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:39 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
The word yes makes better arguments tbh

True, but the word no ends arguments.

The North Remembers

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:50 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

True, but the word no ends arguments.

Nein! is more effectively honestly

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:59 AM
Fated Xtasy
Kami

Originally posted by Deronn_solo
As a duelist, or overall?

Ehh. I have him at top fifteen overall. But He's interchangeable with a lot dark lords tbh

Although tbh i don't quite have a solid top ten list to even say that

Old Post May 8th, 2017 03:35 AM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Re: Re: Debunking the Dooku Myth

Originally posted by Azronger
The first quote suggests no such thing. It merely says Yoda needed to resort to his weapon when fighting Dooku. This does not imply Yoda fought Dooku with the Force. Force sense is a thing, you know?

As for the thirs source, only the part about Yoda attempting to defeat Dooku with TK can be dismissed. A single false statement does not render the whole quote inaccurate.

There's nothing ambiguous about it. It praises Yoda's immense skill and power with the Force, and then states that despite this, he needed to resort to his lightsaber to best Dooku.

And your interpretation makes no sense. Firstly, you are relying on an argument from ignorance to debunk the quote, which doesn't work. Yoda - or any other Force user - doesn't have to unleash an attack to test their opponent's strength. Force sense exists, and has been used many times in the mythos.

Also, you inadvertently conceded Yoda is not powerful enough to ragdoll Dooku, by admitting that he'd have to fend him off unarmed, and that a lightsaber-wielding Dooku is a "substantial threat of death." If Yoda faces an armed Force user unarmed, he does this. If he was powerful enough to dominate Dooku, he would have done so. The quote agrees with me on this; it's that simple.

No, it cannot be attributed to that, since it is Dooku's lightning in question, and not any random dark side moron's, and it would make no sense for Yoda to have difficulty deflecting such bursts anyway, when his canonical inferiors don't.

The third quote is from Dooku's own POV and thus limited and overruled by the narrator's. The fourth and fifth quote only state the machinery was easy for Yoda to deflect, so no clue why you included those, unless you really thought people wouldn't notice that. And in the fifth quote, the word "easily" is only included in the machine part and omitted in the Lightning one, and instead is replaced with "even", inplying that while his deflection of Dooku's attack was an awe-inspiring display of his power, it was in fact not easy for him.

Only the first and second quotes support the notion of Yoda having an easy time with Dooku. But I'm not familiar with the sources. Are they Canon or Legends? What year were they released in?

No one is disputing the fact that Sidious and Yoda are Dooku's significant superiors, and in their own tier entirely. However, what I (and others) are disputing is that the gap is wide enough for a ragdoll, which, according to the quote, it isn't. I have no doubt in my mind that Sidious would stomp Dooku, since he has Lightning and TP among other things, which even Yoda has had great trouble with. Yoda, however, lacks these advantages, and his only power that can be used in combat is TK, and that is only effective if his target is weak enough to be ragdolled, which Dooku isn't. Thus, Yoda only being able to stalemate Dooku, yet being able to stand up to Darth Sidious, who in turn stomps Dooku, can all be reconciled.

That was obvious from the movie itself. Dooku doesn't land a single blow to Yoda and the latter effortlessly dodges his attempts to do so. No quote was needed to confirm that.

Nothing you've presented here renders the Fact File quote unusable, and it comes later than most sources here anyway (2013, 2014?). Even if Dooku was once presented as fodder to Yoda, the new quote represents an updated view of him, where he is indeed at least somewhat comparable.

thumb up

Old Post May 8th, 2017 05:19 AM
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

nig why you quoting shit i already responded to lmfao

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post May 8th, 2017 11:08 AM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthDuelist9

Nobody believed Dooku was comparable to Yoda, just that he's strong enough to not get dominated through the Force which is backed up by multiple sources.

Check out my new Kylo Ren Site! http://darthduelist9.wixsite.com/kylo-ren

Old Post May 8th, 2017 11:37 AM
Click here to Send DarthDuelist9 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthDuelist9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Ehh. I have him at top fifteen overall. But He's interchangeable with a lot dark lords tbh

Although tbh i don't quite have a solid top ten list to even say that
Above Kyp Durron at least, yeah.

Old Post May 8th, 2017 12:39 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Azronger
Azronger Reborn

Originally posted by DarthAnt66

Are you referring to the first quote or the third quote here?

The quote which I said I was referring to: the first one, meaning this:

The old Master was so accomplished in every aspect of the Force that until the Battle of Geonosis he had rarely needed to resort to his weapon. When he did, he proved as masterful with it as without

Nowhere does it say Yoda attempted to overpower or fight Dooku in the Force, therefore, your argument does not apply to it and it is still usable.

quote:
If you want to go that avenue, Yoda failing to defeat Dooku with Force lightning is irrelevant since the Force lightning was Dooku's power, not Yoda's.

Thus, Yoda never used his own power in an attack against Dooku, so them being evenly matched is irrelevant.

That's fair.

quote:
Given Dooku was completely unaware of Yoda's power despite Force sense, this argument would need support to hold any weight.

1. He wasn't. Dooku states: "It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber." For him to make such a statement, he'd not only have to know that he cannot penetrate Yoda's defences, but that neither can Yoda penetrate his. And to know this, he'd have to have measure of Yoda's true power, which you already conceded that he wasn't using, so don't attempt any backtracking, and the only way for Dooku to gauge that would be, you guessed it, Force sense. And most tellingly, Yoda himself does not disagree with the notion, and a canonical quote also back's this up.

2. Dooku not doing something does not equate to Yoda not doing something. The quote mentions nothing about Yoda trying to attack Dooku with his own power, yet still states Yoda needed ro resort to lightsaber combat to beat him. The logical conclusion to make here is that Yoda sensed Dooku's power, and evaluated his chances to defeat him with the Force.

3. Yoda does indeed use Force sense during the duel, as stated in the junior novelization: Yoda sensed an eagerness in him — eagerness, and something darker. and that He felt Dooku gathering power, and he bowed his head in shock and sorrow as he sensed the true source of the Count’s increased ability. In the movie and adult novelization, Yoda also states: "Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you." So clearly, Yoda did sense Dooku's power, and my earlier arguments are solidly backed up.

quote:
The idea that Yoda can effortlessly disarm Dooku with the Force in the same way he could against Asajj Ventress is obviously ridiclous.

Recognize that this doesn't mean Yoda isn't substantially more powerful than Dooku and could overpower him with the Force, since he can.

You've not presented anything to back this up that would render the quote void.

quote:
It seems you're missing the point.

By default, handling Force lightning is considered to be difficult.

The fact we're discussing Dooku's lightning only adds to the difficulty.

Thus, we can conclude the source is referring to the inherent difficulty in the ability + the additional strength handling it versus Dooku that the feat would demand.

Not really, but okay.

quote:
Nevertheless, Yoda is still stated to have handled it "easily," cementing his status as significantly superior to Dooku in the Force.

Even if we were to say that is indeed what happened, it still does not mean he is in any way capable of ragdolling Dooku.

quote:
Apparently not. Since Yoda being incapable of ragdolling Dooku doesn't give Dooku any special status or claim to fame. It just means Yoda isn't ridiculously above him in power.

It very much does afford him a claim to fame. There're plenty of powerful Force users whom Yoda would casually dominate and pulverize with TK, Plagueis-style, Revan included, given how he was smoked by Vitiate, who doesn't really compare to Yoda, per canonical statements and scaling from RotS Palpatine, whose feats put Valkorion's to shame (we can debate this if you wish).

quote:
False. There is no "updated view" considering the Fact Files don't fall under either the Legends or Canon continuity, and that retcon by age doesn't exist as an actual way to overrule continuity. As per Leland Chee, seeing which view is stated the most is a legitimate way to determine, and the majority of sources state Yoda was superior. Further, the Fact Files are inconsistent within themselves. It suggests Yoda and Dooku are rough equals, but then states that unlike the Yoda vs Dooku fight, Yoda is a rough equal to Palpatine. These differences can be attributed to various different authors writing these works. The source also states that Dooku barely escaped with his life in the confrontation against Yoda, which wouldn't be the case if he was comparable to Yoda, as far as I'm concerned.

What? Since when has there been a continuity seperate from Canon or Legends that the Fact Files fall into?

As for Dooku barely escaping with his life, that was obviously due to Yoda having his lightsaber in addition to his Force powers. That in no way contradicts the notion of Yoda being unable to ragdoll Dooku.

Anyway, I already addressed the rest:

quote:
Originally posted by Azronger
No one is disputing the fact that Sidious and Yoda are Dooku's significant superiors, and in their own tier entirely. However, what I (and others) are disputing is that the gap is wide enough for a ragdoll, which, according to the quote, it isn't. I have no doubt in my mind that Sidious would stomp Dooku, since he has Lightning and TP among other things, which even Yoda has had great trouble with. Yoda, however, lacks these advantages, and his only power that can be used in combat is TK, and that is only effective if his target is weak enough to be ragdolled, which Dooku isn't. Thus, Yoda only being able to stalemate Dooku, yet being able to stand up to Darth Sidious, who in turn stomps Dooku, can all be reconciled.

quote:
Overall, while Yoda is unable to instantly disarm Dooku with a lightsaber or the Force, he is the significant-to-vast superior. Attributing any success to Dooku in his fight versus Yoda is ridiclous. Almost anyone high-ranking fighter can replicate what Dooku did considering the ambiguity behind how much power Yoda put behind anything he did, since the Fact Files reveal that Yoda had to fight with newfound strength against Palpatine, thus meaning he didn't fight with all his power against Dooku.

There's nothing ridiculous about praising and wanking Dooku off of his fight with Yoda. The latter is the most powerful Jedi in history, and was unable to ragdoll Dooku. That speaks of extraordinary power on Dooku's part.

Quote for Yoda fighting with "newfound strength" against Sidious? If that is indeed the wording, then it only means Yoda has become more powerful since his fight with Dooku. Not that it changesany of the scaling, since Dooku also grew during the war.

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:13 PM
Click here to Send Azronger a Private Message Find more posts by Azronger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

thumb up

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:23 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Also pretty sure "new found strength" is just a fancy way of expressing determination

Old Post May 8th, 2017 01:34 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

I have to ask ant, what myth exactly are you trying to debunk here?

Old Post May 9th, 2017 03:45 AM