KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Hellboy R rated reboot

Hellboy R rated reboot
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Esau Cairn
Contagious

I never followed HellBoy issue by issue as a comic so I'm not familiar with the Asian character in mind.

But did his ethnicity actually add any substance to the story he was portrayed in?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 03:40 AM
Esau Cairn is online now! Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

That's beside the point if his ethnicity added something or not

also his parents were Asian, So of course he's going to be Asian or are you wishing they pull a F4 move again?

Last edited by Kazenji on Aug 31st, 2017 at 07:15 AM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 07:00 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Do you want to sort out the NFL and NBA as well?

Lol you really hate black people don't you?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 08:46 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji

Surtur probably would've been a slave owner back in the day.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 08:47 AM
Kazenji is online now! Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Relentless

Originally posted by Kazenji
Ed Skein exits the movie after white washing controversary

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/e...ing-1202540677/

if only more actors/Actress's did that.

But nobody cared that Scarlett Johansson played the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

To an extent, I guess.

"We are not children of celestial f*ckin' light, walkin' arm-in-arm into the Age of Aquarius. We are wankers who
wreck the planet an' piss on each other, 'til half the world's starvin' an' the other half's busy findin'
new ways to keep from noticin' it. That's the f*ckin' limit've our potential, believe me."

Last edited by Impediment on Aug 31st, 2017 at 06:48 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 01:17 PM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Surtur probably would've been a slave owner back in the day.

Many A list celebrities found out ther ancestors were slave owners or decendants of nazis. Like Chelsea Handler, her grandparents were Nazis and Ben Aflecs were slave owners.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 01:26 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

That's beside the point if his ethnicity added something or not

also his parents were Asian,

IT IS the point.

If the character's ethnicity in the source material didn't add any significance to the story itself then why bother make "whitewashing" an issue?

And yup, most Asians tend to have Asian parents.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 02:22 PM
Esau Cairn is online now! Click here to Send Esau Cairn a Private Message Find more posts by Esau Cairn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

Originally posted by Impediment
But nobody cared that Scarlett Johansson played the Major in Ghost in the Shell.

I seem to recall people did complain about that. But the complaints didn't make any sense. I even saw interviews of Japanese people on the street saying that Scar Jo seemed like a great fit for the role.

Last edited by Impediment on Aug 31st, 2017 at 06:48 PM

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 02:47 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
IT IS the point.

If the character's ethnicity in the source material didn't add any significance to the story itself then why bother make "whitewashing" an issue?

And yup, most Asians tend to have Asian parents.

because a lot of people care about the source material being at least somewhat well translated.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I seem to recall people did complain about that. But the complaints didn't make any sense. I even saw interviews of Japanese people on the street saying that Scar Jo seemed like a great fit for the role.

yeah they really didn't seem bothered by it at all. then again, they are used to a lot of anime characters being more like white people than Asians, so that might contribute.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 03:04 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

Originally posted by -Pr-
yeah they really didn't seem bothered by it at all. then again, they are used to a lot of anime characters being more like white people than Asians, so that might contribute.

The character from the anime doesn't look Asian. She has big American blue eyes. So yeah, she was cast well.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 03:23 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-

The character from the anime doesn't look Asian. She has big American blue eyes. So yeah, she was cast well.

That was my point... Sort of.

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured... the first thought forbidden... the first freedom denied chains us all irrevocably."

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 03:37 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I seem to remember a pretty big outcry over Ghost in the Shell reboot casting Johanson.

I honestly didn't even hear about this Hellboy outcry until the actor decided to step aside.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 09:21 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech

What'll be funny is if they hire someone else who doesn't fit the role.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2017 10:58 PM
Surtur

This was my thing when I saw people whining over the Airbender movie. Look, that shit was horrible beyond belief, but Aang in the tv series does NOT look like a small asian boy. He just doesn't, not to me. There are definitely characters in that universe who actually do look actually Asian. In the cartoons Aang looks like a little bald white kid with tats.

But I just want people to simplify stuff: if you're using source material cast the correct race, period. If a character is white find a white person, if they are black find a black person. It is not edgy to do a gender or race swap. Was the latest Fantastic Four made better because Johnny was black? Did it pave the way for more black actors?

If people will see this and begin to want to shout about "but the lack of opportunities"...no. There are plenty of books, etc. with black characters as the main characters. Or *gasp* write some new material with minorities in the leads. Stop trying to break racial boundaries by merely swapping a black dude in for a white dude. It's laziness not progress.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 2nd, 2017 at 03:19 PM

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2017 03:15 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Originally posted by -Pr-
because a lot of people care about the source material being at least somewhat well translated.

And if you read Major Ben Daimio's background the only mention & relevance to being Asian was that his grandmother was an infamous war criminal.

Which he promptly states that even the US Army wasn't concerned about.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2017 05:48 PM
Surtur

So if the ethnicity adds no significance then it is okay to cast someone of a different race? Does this apply to only characters who are white in the source material, or *any* character? For instance being black certainly doesn't add significance to every single black character, I'm sure you would agree.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2017 06:45 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Esau Cairn
Contagious

Juz talking about this one character bro.

Really seems to have made no difference to the stories though.

And if a female singer covers a song where the lyrics are about loving a girl, does that automatically make the female singer a lesbian?

Last edited by Esau Cairn on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 01:35 AM

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 01:32 AM
Surtur

Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Juz talking about this one character bro.

Really seems to have made no difference to the stories though.

And if a female singer covers a song where the lyrics are about loving a girl, does that automatically make the female singer a lesbian?

As to your question, no, but I knew you were talking about one character. I was wondering how you would apply this in general.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 04:12 PM
Silent Master

Originally posted by Darth Thor
No but if he stole from another billionaire that would be one thing. But we'd all look at him very differently if he stole from a charity. That'd be a new sort of low.

So the point is a valid one. Sort out prejudices first, then work on double standards towards those who already get everything.

Prejudices, like saying something is ok, so long as it only happens to white people?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 06:47 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

oh deary me, one actor leaves his role based on personal principle and conservatives be like "DEY TUK R JERBS!"

(please log in to view the image)

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 06:51 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote