KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Dragon Age

Dragon Age
Started by: Arachnid1

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
For first play throughs though?

Isn't that when you do mostly quality of life mods, and try and keep as close to vanilla as possible? And then go nuts on the deeper game mods?

You make a good point. Go vanilla first run, then replay 5 times to do each origin. stick out tongue

==

I like Inquisition, but I think it lacks behind Origins in many ways.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 02:27 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Yeah....and less about the amount of content...but interesting content. A lot of those areas were filled with less than ideal gameplay.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 02:38 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Originally posted by Jmanghan
And the rest of the games were much better? At least it lets you do cool shit instead of spamming the same attack button over and over or clicking an enemy once and letting them do the rest.

^ Yes, you could pause, but the difference is, real-time inquisition combat is way more engaging then real-time 2 combat. It's not even a contest, Inquisition combat is leagues better then 2's.
Yes, Origins was better. DAO combat was a good execution of a niche concept that filters modern gamers (RTwP). DA2 and 3's combat were a poor execution of generic modern hack and slash philosophies (Well, *were* modern. If three came out today it would probably have bamham or soulslike combat lol).

I've never really understood the complaints about spam. The only difference in attack animations between dragon age Origins and 2 or Inquisition is that in one game you click on an enemy once to auto attack them whereas in the others you have to hold the button to attack them.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on Dec 12th, 2020 at 05:01 PM

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 04:58 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Tzeentch
Yes, Origins was better. DAO combat was a good execution of a niche concept that filters modern gamers (RTwP). DA2 and 3's combat were a poor execution of generic modern hack and slash philosophies (Well, *were* modern. If three came out today it would probably have bamham or soulslike combat lol).

I've never really understood the complaints about spam. The only difference in attack animations between dragon age Origins and 2 or Inquisition is that in one game you click on an enemy once to auto attack them whereas in the others you have to hold the button to attack them.
Because auto-attack is boring, lol.

I like pressing buttons man, I like actually having to get involved in every fight rather then clicking an enemy and letting my character do the rest.

2 executed this poorly, but 3 was a lot better, and oh yes, this is so much more exciting:

^ Pretty slow, weak effects, and on top of that I can't get involved as much as I'd like to. I wanna feel every dodge, every hit. Like I think Diablo II is leagues better then Diablo 3, but Diablo 3 did combat better there too.

Compare that to Inquisition:

So much more impactful, better effects, way more fast-paced, and way more intense. Every hit feels powerful and exciting. Even the sound effects as you smash or cut through flesh are leagues better. Despite this it still has the best of both worlds, you don't have to play one way or the other, you choose how you wanna play it.

Hell I think even 2, as boring as it was, had better combat then Origins, at least it requires you to get involved for every fight instead of watching the game.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 06:25 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Inquisition doesn't have nearly the strategic/tactical depth of Origins. And that's even without bringing mods in to play.

If you like your combat more fast-paced, then yeah, Inquisition (and even 2, which did some things better imo) is gonna be more your bag, but tactics wise? Origins is far superior imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 07:27 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Thanks for reminding me how god awful DAI's combat was. It tried to combine both DAO and DA2 but failed at capturing the best elements of either system.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 07:29 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

People don't talk about how mangled the skill trees were in Inquisition either. Origins and 2 had some fantastic trees, especially for mages. In Inquisition... it was all right, but if you weren't speccing in to lightning, especially in some of the DLC, you were just playing the game wrong.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 07:31 PM
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Knight Enchanter was one of the most broken builds in the game. You get the silverite armor and use that spec? You're dealing massive damage with each swing, can deflect all direct energy and magic attacks back at the caster for damage, and you heal yourself with every hit. Plus all the actual spells you have. It was unfair.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 08:55 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

There has never once been a single Dragon Age that had combat I give a single shit about.

Dragon Age Inquisition failed for me because it was a haphazardly thrown together open world with tedious bullshit to do in it. The worst kind of open world game. The writing might have also been bad but I'll be honest, I'd actually have no idea because I got filtered by how mind-numbingly dull the Hinterlands are.

"Just leave the Hinterlands it gets better-" no, **** you. They shouldn't have made it an open world if they didn't want it to be explored and completed. Don't apologize for Bioware's poor game design.

If they either improve or drop the open world tedium this game could be worthwhile, but I doubt it.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 10:18 PM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

What filtered me were the war points or whatever they were called. It forced you to play the dog shit side quests in order to advance the main plot. **** that.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 11:08 PM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by ares834
Thanks for reminding me how god awful DAI's combat was. It tried to combine both DAO and DA2 but failed at capturing the best elements of either system.
It's far superior action gameplay-wise to 2.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 11:32 PM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by -Pr-
Inquisition doesn't have nearly the strategic/tactical depth of Origins. And that's even without bringing mods in to play.

If you like your combat more fast-paced, then yeah, Inquisition (and even 2, which did some things better imo) is gonna be more your bag, but tactics wise? Origins is far superior imo.

Oh I completely understand that, Origins requires more strategy, I just want a game with a bit more... input, ya know?

What's odd is I really liked the combat in the KOTOR games, but I wasn't feeling it in Origins, is there something wrong with me? lol

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 11:33 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Oh I completely understand that, Origins requires more strategy, I just want a game with a bit more... input, ya know?

What's odd is I really liked the combat in the KOTOR games, but I wasn't feeling it in Origins, is there something wrong with me? lol

lol, I dunno, but your comment is fair. I do see the attraction of the Inquisition style.

For me, I get more joy of setting my people up properly and then watching them work while I control whatever character I want to control at the time.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 11:43 PM
ares834

It's far superior action gameplay-wise to 2.

I disagree. DA2 didn’t have great combat but I certainly enjoyed it more than DAI.

Old Post Dec 12th, 2020 11:46 PM