KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Hajime no Ippo

Hajime no Ippo
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
That's a shame, he was a monster among monsters in that first fight.

I hate to say it, but Miyata is kind of an idiot. His obsession with Ippo is ruining his career, when he should really stick to junior lightweight/lightweight.
I cannot WAIT to see your reaction when you reach the Miyata vs Randy Boy Jr fight! You might start making comments similar to the ones you make about DBS. laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 19th, 2017 11:23 PM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Hopefully that isn't for another 1,000 chapters. smile

Another thing I'm starting to realize: Ippo has a TERRIBLE coach. Seriously, Kamogawa's go-to strategy is "Hope they wear themselves out hitting you in the head." He won't even try teaching him tactics, because he doesn't think he can learn (This is the same Ippo who learned, on his own, to measure another boxers rythem and predict where he is in his blind spot.)

Poor Ippo's gonna end up with worse brain damage then Rocky Balboa before his careers half over.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Aug 20th, 2017 at 08:26 PM

Old Post Aug 20th, 2017 08:14 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

That fight is in the 800-1000 range iirc.

Kamogawa likes bricks and likes his boxers to be able to tank. But he definitely focuses on offense rather then dodging because of his own backstory.

Old Post Aug 20th, 2017 10:53 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Been thinking about the Volg fight I read about a week ago. Initially loved it, thought it was epic, and really showed the heart of both fighters.

But the more I think about it, the more it seems a bit tarnished.. My main problem, is up to that point, Makunouchi was pushed as an insanely hard hitter. He's a puncher who can end it with just ONE solid hit. Take a series of them, and you're usually hospitalized.

And now here comes Volg, who has the distinction of not only being the first boxer to take Makunouchi to the final round, but also to be the first boxer who forced him to go past his limits and actually damage his health. Makunouchi was in a coma for three days as a result of his injuries.

And Volg? He walked away, just a little bumped and bruised. After taking a Gazalle Punch, a move so powerful it hit the heavy bag into the ceiling.

That's crazy. At the very least, Volg should have needed to be carried on his trainers shoulder, not walked out like he didn't just take more punch's then from that monster then anyone else in the series.

This fight is akin to Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michels II, where Shawn takes an ankle lock for ten minutes, taps, and then walks off without a limp. Shawn probably figured no one would notice, and be too busy cheering Angles win, but fans noticed.

It's true. It's damned true.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Last edited by cdtm on Aug 24th, 2017 at 12:16 AM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 12:13 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

It's later revealed that Volg was holding back and that he's truly World Champion material. His marty stuness probably grants him high end invulnerability.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:43 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Originally posted by Bentley
It's later revealed that Volg was holding back and that he's truly World Champion material. His marty stuness probably grants him high end invulnerability.
I think Mori basically made that up out of the blue. The notion that Vorg would've won since he's out-fighting is better is BS when we look back to the actual fight:

(please log in to view the image)

See the bottom three panels. The notion that "Vorg would've easily won had he used his out-fighting" style is complete and utter BS. Mori made that sh-t up on the spot due to Vorg's rising popularity. It was never intended from the getgo laughing

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 03:46 PM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Been thinking about the Volg fight I read about a week ago. Initially loved it, thought it was epic, and really showed the heart of both fighters.

But the more I think about it, the more it seems a bit tarnished.. My main problem, is up to that point, Makunouchi was pushed as an insanely hard hitter. He's a puncher who can end it with just ONE solid hit. Take a series of them, and you're usually hospitalized.

And now here comes Volg, who has the distinction of not only being the first boxer to take Makunouchi to the final round, but also to be the first boxer who forced him to go past his limits and actually damage his health. Makunouchi was in a coma for three days as a result of his injuries.

And Volg? He walked away, just a little bumped and bruised. After taking a Gazalle Punch, a move so powerful it hit the heavy bag into the ceiling.

That's crazy. At the very least, Volg should have needed to be carried on his trainers shoulder, not walked out like he didn't just take more punch's then from that monster then anyone else in the series.

This fight is akin to Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michels II, where Shawn takes an ankle lock for ten minutes, taps, and then walks off without a limp. Shawn probably figured no one would notice, and be too busy cheering Angles win, but fans noticed.

It's true. It's damned true.
Due to Mori's later retcons, Vorg is completely and utterly broken. Not quite as broken as Takamura, but broken in a way you'll see once you reach the 1000th chapter or whatever.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 03:48 PM
Yamcha
Desert Bandit

Volg gets a pass for anything because he essentially uses the Wolf Fang Fist, anyone using anything Wolf related gets a pass. I wish we got to see more of Young Nekota though sad...he was always one of my favorites. I remember playing Victorious Boxers back in the day on PS2 before I knew what the series was and being like "Who the **** is Ralph Anderson and why is he so hard to defeat? Why do I have to be this slow asshat Kamogawa, I wanna be that Nekota guy!"

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:11 PM
Yamcha is currently offline Click here to Send Yamcha a Private Message Find more posts by Yamcha Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
I think Mori basically made that up out of the blue. The notion that Vorg would've won since he's out-fighting is better is BS when we look back to the actual fight:

(please log in to view the image)

See the bottom three panels. The notion that "Vorg would've easily won had he used his out-fighting" style is complete and utter BS. Mori made that sh-t up on the spot due to Vorg's rising popularity. It was never intended from the getgo laughing

Volg got retconned into lying to his coach in those panels smile

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 07:36 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So how does the "outboxing" excuse work with Sendou? Could Vorg have easily won an outbox on points, too?

I'm giving the ref the benefit of the doubt and assume he's incompetent and really thought Vorg got knocked down for -2 points (Counting the first down), and not biased.

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 27th, 2017 at 03:02 PM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 02:57 PM
cdtm

Sendou stomped the speed star?

Want to call bullshit. His whole thing is being so fast no one can even see him move, and Sendou was always about as fast as Ippo.

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 07:19 PM
cdtm

So it was Vorg who countered the dempsy roll?

I watched the third season anime before reading the manga, so remembered that as Miyata.

Funny thing about the Russian guy, everyone thinks he's invincible and just has bad luck. You know who else was really, really strong and had bad luck and a string of losses?

Yamcha.

Guy was unlucky enough to draw f'n Kami when he spirit bomb would have destroyed just about anyone else sans Piccolo or Goku. He was unlucky enough to draw Tenshinhan as a starter, and still accounted well for himself. And in the Halloween monster freak show tourney, Goku gets someone who's main tech is useless, and Yamcha gets an overpowered brick only Goku can beat. Basically, he was way stronger then Krillin, about on par with Ten, but never caught a break.

Vorg doesn't have a win against a top guy, he just has excuses. And from what I read, there's never been an official rematch, and probably never will be because the author painted himself into a corner building up this character as unstoppable, meaning Ippo beating him clean isn't an option, and the kind of win Sendou got would be cheap and unsatisfying (And frankly, I thought Sendou did way better then Ippo. Behind on points but doing MASSIVE damage.)

Last edited by cdtm on Sep 27th, 2017 at 08:37 PM

Old Post Sep 27th, 2017 08:31 PM
cdtm

So how strong is Ippo? He can actually rock Takamura, so he must punch waaay above his weight class.

How high up the chain do you think he can do damage, without actually changing weight classes?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 06:49 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

So how strong is Ippo? He can actually rock Takamura, so he must punch waaay above his weight class.

How high up the chain do you think he can do damage, without actually changing weight classes?

Later on, Ippo literally oneshots a dude who is two weight classes above him. He is massively strong. His defense on the other hand . . . is massively lacking. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 08:13 PM
cdtm

Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Later on, Ippo literally oneshots a dude who is two weight classes above him. He is massively strong. His defense on the other hand . . . is massively lacking. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Damn.

And they say in real life, 7 lbs makes the difference between knocking guys out and not doing any damage at all for a lot of boxers.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 09:18 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

It should be noted that the guy he knocked out literally starved himself for a chance to fight Ippo so he wasn't in the best shape.

On the other hand, Ippo plowed through the second strongest counter of his life and still knocked him out so maybe it cancels out.

Funnily enough Vorg claims Sendo hits harder. He would know I guess.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 11:54 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Is the guy Miyata?

Because he starves himself to fight Ippo, and his natural weight is light, two classes above.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 12:26 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

No. It's another guy and I think he was a weight class above Miyata.

To this day Miyata and Ippo have never fought as professional boxers.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 09:39 PM
cdtm

......over 1200 chapters in, and they never... confused

Does Ippo at least become more sure of himself? He's been pro for over two years by my reading, and he still approach's every single fight like it's his first. Even Kenichi was eventually like "I've got this", instead of "Ahhh! What do I doooo!"

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 09:45 PM
vansonbee
Isee

With recent chapters and a fight against a nobody, is the series ending soon or something? For some reason Ippo should of destroyed this opponent in less than few chapters, but its really dragged out. Plus, his old rivals are there to comment on his fight, it feels like its the final one.

If so, its lame that Ippo isn't even close to fighting the world champion or Miyata...

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 10:10 PM
vansonbee is currently offline Click here to Send vansonbee a Private Message Find more posts by vansonbee Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote