KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Hajime no Ippo

Hajime no Ippo
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

I really don't like what I'm hearing about punch's being "charged" for several issues.

Uncomfortably close to Dragon Ball..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 10:12 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
I really don't like what I'm hearing about punch's being "charged" for several issues.

Uncomfortably close to Dragon Ball..

The fights get more silly later but I don't recall charged punches being a thing.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by vansonbee
With recent chapters and a fight against a nobody, is the series ending soon or something? For some reason Ippo should of destroyed this opponent in less than few chapters, but its really dragged out. Plus, his old rivals are there to comment on his fight, it feels like its the final one.

If so, its lame that Ippo isn't even close to fighting the world champion or Miyata...

It's his return bout. Gotta have some drama to it.

Old Post Sep 29th, 2017 10:17 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I like Sendou. Kind of reminds me of a mix of Kazuma from S-Cry-Ed, Ryoga Hibiki, and Sanosuke..

Alsl glad to hear Mashiba keeps up his dominance. Some are saying he may be the only one who can compare with Vorg (Miyata is treated like a joke. Obviously pre super sonic punch.. Date apparently burns out later, which is a shame as I like his character and loved how he beat Ippo..) And no one really talks about Sendou, which makes sense since most characters like him who start off strong and baddass get settled into mid tier..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2017 12:02 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruhMan
World Champion

Didnt expect to see this as one of the main topics. Love this anime/manga. One of my favorite of all time. Would kill for another season of the anime.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2017 05:45 PM
BruhMan is currently offline Click here to Send BruhMan a Private Message Find more posts by BruhMan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Takamura vs Brian Hawk was amazing. And now that I'm seeing everything that happened before in the manga, it's even more amazing.

So Ippo knocked out a welterweight, yet couldn't KO Aoki.

Was Ippo sparring scrubs? Or is Aoki a lot better then you'd think by his clown antics?

I'd guess Ippo probably holds back unconsciously against a sempai though..

Old Post Oct 1st, 2017 06:14 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Ippo has never been as mad as he was against that Welterweight. He will never throw a punch like that again.

(please log in to view the image)

This is Ippo before that fight to drive home how utterly out of character he was.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2017 11:13 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

That does not look like Ippo at all. eek!

I was talking about his pre Sendou spar though. Took in five fighters, including a welterweight he seemingly dropped in two blows.

Then he capped it off by sparring Aoki. One could make the excuse Ippo was tired, and Aoki was certainly in a terribly beat up condition, to the point where Kimura and even Takamura were looking on in shock, wondering how he was still standing.

I'd like to imagine Aoki used every dirty trick in the book, just to say he broke the streak.

Old Post Oct 1st, 2017 11:59 PM
cdtm

Nearing the end of Sendou fight 2.

I know how this ends, but they've really built up Sendou into the anti-ippo. Same basic style, same determination, same power, but cocky to Ippo's humble, a natural talent at a young age compared to Ippo's pure workhorse ethic. Basically the Ken to Ippo's Ryu.

I hope he doesn't fade out later in the series.

It's also always good to see Mashiba, and his "epic confrontation" with Kimura was hillarious.

Kimura and Aoki kind of got the short end of the stick in the training department though.. Kamogawa focus's almost exclusively on Takamura and Ippo (As seen when he didn't even know how to approach his other students), and I haven't seen heckle and jeckle do much more then be Ippo's punching bag. And for a guy like Mashiba, he really can't go it alone, he's gonna need all the training he can get..

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2017 08:04 PM
cdtm

Kimura vs Mashiba might be the best underdog story of the manga.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2017 07:43 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Kimura's trainer is not Kamogowa, it's Shinoda.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 08:24 AM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

You wouldn't know it, based on how often he was ever seen being trained by anyone. Which by my count as of the Mashiba fight is never.

I thought Shinoda worked for Kamogawa or something. He was right there embracing Ippo when he won the japanese title.

Last edited by cdtm on Oct 6th, 2017 at 12:25 PM

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 12:23 PM
Bentley
Seitei

Shinoda acts as a second for Kamogawa in most matches, so yeah, you notice him first in that setting.

I kind of wonder how they worked before Miyata Senior left for a different Gym.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Oct 6th, 2017 01:13 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Finished up the doctor and old rival/friend of Kamogawa.

Absolutely loved them both. Hama Dankichi kind of reminds me of Quint from Jaws. laughing

Sanada Kazuki was, in a way, very scary. Like a surgeon with a scalpel, targeting each of Ippo's vital organ's with pinpoint precision. Honestly, looking at how badly he messed Ippo up, and how he really only lost due to a coin flip, choosing a haymaker over a more controlled attack and falling over, makes him the most impressive fighter of the series to this point.. Virtually every other opponent had an "out" where they screwed up, or where Ippo did something that directly led to his winning. But in the case of Sanada, it all came down to desperation and a prayer.. And it paid off.

Up to that rush, Kazuki was perfect. And Dankichi was the exact opposite of Kamogawa, freely portioning out his advice instead of holding back and letting his student do all the heavy lifting himself.

They made a good team. A shame about the post fight, personally I like Kazuki more then Sendou, Miyata, or Vorg (Hell, I fail to get the hype around Vorg after his work.. Yeah, Vorgs good, but the doctor was something else.)

I still prefer Date to all of them, though. Most relatable by far, and hard not to like him.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2017 11:19 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Kazuki was a cool guy. Wish he hadn't quit being a boxer but I suppose he's happy. And Dankichi actually teams up with Vorg later so he still gets to be a cool guy.

Old Post Oct 15th, 2017 11:38 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Would have liked to have seen Itagaki face off against Kazuki.

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 12:07 AM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Yeah that would have been cooler than whoever he fought first in the speed tournament(I forget who it was ;_; )

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 12:11 AM
cdtm

Oh yeah, the arm wrestling thing was pretty "OVER THE TOP". wink

I have a hard time believing Ippo could push Takamura that far, given the cabin training..

Last edited by cdtm on Oct 16th, 2017 at 02:50 AM

Old Post Oct 16th, 2017 02:44 AM
cdtm

So, the OPBF title is better than the Japanese title?

OPBF is basically the asian title, right? Sanctioned by many countries in a certain area?

If it's better, why did Miyata get a shot before someone like Ippo or Takamura? Why didn't Date go for it?

Sounds like all national/regional titles are just stepping stones to a world title shot anyways, but they made it pretty clear OPBF > Japanese champ.

Last edited by cdtm on Oct 18th, 2017 at 12:14 AM

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 12:10 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Takamura was in a hurry to conquer his first weight class with a world belt(and Kamogawa is as well) while Date doesn't really want it. A title requires defending and Date is laser focused on getting to Ricardo first. One doesn't need to be a title holder to make a name for oneself on the world stage. So long as a fight is guaranteed to make money the most popular fighters like Sendou or Date are able to excel.

Miyata probably only went after the OPBF because it allowed him to surpass Ippo more quickly and because his travel did make him more well known in Asia in general.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 12:42 AM
cdtm

Miyata fought a match a month, and starves himself to feebleness, all to surpass Ippo.

Miyata, I think you may have a problem. Just like Captain Ahab did.

Old Post Oct 18th, 2017 02:10 PM