KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movie Genres » Anime / Manga » Hajime no Ippo

Hajime no Ippo
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (15): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

No wonder Miyata keeps challenging him, he's probably afraid he'll miss his chance to severe brain damage. laughing

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 11:25 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

I side with Sendou, Ippo is VASTLY overpowered against Sawamura. All the buildup he got, dodging Mashiba's flicker, freaking out Vorg, easily beating the "Man of the sea" who Ippo barely scraped by in his last match.

Frankly, Ippo looks kind of like an idiot for relying in the Dempsy when he has that much power and speed. Drop the DR, up your stupidly ridiculous power until you start breaking arms.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 11:30 PM
cdtm is online now! Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Much as I like the Sawamura fight, all this talk of an "evolved dempsy" is annoying.

A tactic that destroys your knees and hips is NOT viable! Ippo isn't using this against every counter puncher!

The fact Ippo has to resort to such self destructive measures should be proof enough he should either drop the dempsy roll, or come up with something else against counters.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 04:56 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

quote: (post)
Originally posted by cdtm
Much as I like the Sawamura fight, all this talk of an "evolved dempsy" is annoying.

A tactic that destroys your knees and hips is NOT viable! Ippo isn't using this against every counter puncher!

The fact Ippo has to resort to such self destructive measures should be proof enough he should either drop the dempsy roll, or come up with something else against counters.
laughing out loud

Man . . . if you only knew. The current fight in the manga is gonna be a real trip for you. laughing

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 05:00 PM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Yeah pretty much.

I don't blame Ippo. The dude discovered the Dempsey Roll on his own so it makes sense that he desperately wants to make it work. I actually think it is exciting watching him try and optimize his fighting style but it does give him tunnel vision as the most recent chapters are driving home.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:44 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Why am I picturing a conversation between Ippo and Kamogawa where the latter says "YOU'RE DESTROYING YOUR CAREER!", and the former with a half crazed look says "Maybe knee replacements.. No, prosthetic legs!", as the crew looks on in horror?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 10:53 PM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

You don't really need to imagine it.

(please log in to view the image)

God this manga looks so good.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 11:01 PM
AuraAngel is currently offline Click here to Send AuraAngel a Private Message Find more posts by AuraAngel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Damn right. thumb up

Sawamura and Mashiba need a proper fight. Scary evil vs goofy evil, Flicker vs bullet, cheater vs cheater.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 02:47 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Oh boy, they get their fight. It's one of the best in the series.

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 08:50 AM
cdtm

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 01:48 PM
cdtm

After the "coconut" fight, if I was Ippo I'd tell Kamogawa I want to go up to Lightweight, so I can cakewalk to the world. smile

Seriously, it seems like Featherweight has all the monsters. Kimura, he has to contend with Mashiba (And apparently later Sawamura), but who's in Aoki's class? No real monsters.

Just about anyone from Featherweight could steamroll Lightweight in a week.

Hell, Kimura would he viable on that stage! His friendship with Aoki held back his career, I just can't feel bad for Aoki when everyone makes fun of him.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 06:03 PM
cdtm

Some random thoughts at this point in the story:

I'm more on board with Vorg now. I don't agree with his "word of god" hyping at the main characters expense, but it's hard not to back someone that lost literally everything, and needs a handout just to find where to go or sleep inside.

The more I see of Mashiba, the more I like him. His concern for his sister is awww. smile

As always, I like Sendou as a character. He's by far one of the more relatable characters, but his appeal is how he's strong, yet a genuinely nice guy. Most strong guys in this manga are either sociopaths (Mashiba) or dicks (Miyata), and Sendou is neither.

Especially when he interacts with Ippo, you can't help but like him. He seems to "get" Ippo, and treats him like a younger brother instead of a hated rival. (I also HATE his grandmother for calling him a thug. Even if he was in a gang, he never seemed to pick on anybody or hurt anyone that wasn't an *******.)

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2017 10:37 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

After the "coconut" fight, if I was Ippo I'd tell Kamogawa I want to go up to Lightweight, so I can cakewalk to the world. smile

Seriously, it seems like Featherweight has all the monsters. Kimura, he has to contend with Mashiba (And apparently later Sawamura), but who's in Aoki's class? No real monsters.

Just about anyone from Featherweight could steamroll Lightweight in a week.

Hell, Kimura would he viable on that stage! His friendship with Aoki held back his career, I just can't feel bad for Aoki when everyone makes fun of him.
Don't know anyone from Lightweight that is anything special besides some random "world ranker" Mashiba beats near the 1100th chapter. But given how much "world class" gets touted at the current stages of the manga, I'd reckon that Morikawa counts any top 5 in the weight class / Champion level boxer as being nigh invincible to anyone whose name isn't Takamura or Martinez. Because when you're on the world stage, you're on "a whole other level" apparently. eek!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 12:27 AM
Dark-Kenshin is currently offline Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Some random thoughts at this point in the story:

I'm more on board with Vorg now. I don't agree with his "word of god" hyping at the main characters expense, but it's hard not to back someone that lost literally everything, and needs a handout just to find where to go or sleep inside.

The more I see of Mashiba, the more I like him. His concern for his sister is awww. smile

As always, I like Sendou as a character. He's by far one of the more relatable characters, but his appeal is how he's strong, yet a genuinely nice guy. Most strong guys in this manga are either sociopaths (Mashiba) or dicks (Miyata), and Sendou is neither.

Especially when he interacts with Ippo, you can't help but like him. He seems to "get" Ippo, and treats him like a younger brother instead of a hated rival. (I also HATE his grandmother for calling him a thug. Even if he was in a gang, he never seemed to pick on anybody or hurt anyone that wasn't an *******.)
What do you think of Itagaki?

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 12:30 AM
cdtm

Seems likeable, but too early to tell. Looking forward to his Rookie King performance.

So far, I think he's mainly meant a contrast of his feud was Miyata, only in reverse.

To be honest, I'd kind of prefer it if he was in his own offshoot series, instead of rolled in with Ippo's baggage.

Last edited by cdtm on Nov 3rd, 2017 at 12:52 AM

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 12:49 AM
AuraAngel
Hegemon

Itagaki is...fascinating. There is a certain scene I want to spoil for you but it's pretty clear where they story is going to go with him.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 01:11 AM
cdtm

Looking forward to it. smile

Brian Hawk, is he white? In the manga he looks black, but the anime is more whitish.. Sure, black and white manga has a limited color scheme, but he was shaded pretty darkly.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 03:14 AM
cdtm

Takamura/Eagle is brilliant. It's a complete 180 from Hawk, with Takamura essentially becoming a better built Hawk in it (Judging by the Hawk like punch's he threw, and how he stood with open guard just like him, and the uncharacteristic visciousness against his opponent, I almost wonder if the first quarter is a 1:1 crib of an unused Eagle/Hawk script.)

Only thing that keeps me cheering for Takamura is the fact he has to near starve himself just to get a road to a heavyweight someday, so he kind of has every right to hate golden boy from the land of higher weight competition..

Last edited by cdtm on Nov 3rd, 2017 at 10:41 PM

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 10:39 PM
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Takamura/Eagle is brilliant. It's a complete 180 from Hawk, with Takamura essentially becoming a better built Hawk in it (Judging by the Hawk like punch's he threw, and how he stood with open guard just like him, and the uncharacteristic visciousness against his opponent, I almost wonder if the first quarter is a 1:1 crib of an unused Eagle/Hawk script.)

Only thing that keeps me cheering for Takamura is the fact he has to near starve himself just to get a road to a heavyweight someday, so he kind of has every right to hate golden boy from the land of higher weight competition..

Takamura vs Eagle was good, however . . . Eagle is the better boxer and Takamura only won due to PIS from the ref. As far as I'm concerned, Eagle won the fight. stick out tongue

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 11:39 PM
cdtm

Oh yeah, the ref's in Ippo are terrible.. They probably moonlight as boxing refs and make their real money calling professional wrestling.. smile

Taka's blind rush is the best part for me. For the look of abject horror on everyone's face.. Ippo especially looked like he walked into Walter White chopping someone into pieces in a plastic tupperware container.

Old Post Nov 4th, 2017 12:01 AM