KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Oliver Brown
Restricted

Account Restricted

Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood is a film lover's paradise, of course, but it also plays with knowledge of the Summer of Love and how when people refer to "the '60s," they're really talking about the decade's last couple of years.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2019 09:00 AM
Oliver Brown is currently offline Click here to Send Oliver Brown a Private Message Find more posts by Oliver Brown Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I re-watched The Hateful Eight.

I still like it, even though it overstays its welcome a little bit. It's nearly 3-hours, for crying out loud. It's not my favorite Tarantino film, but I still think the performances and fun out-of-sequence storytelling makes it enjoyable.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2019 03:28 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Will watch it but Tarantino is not shit when compared to the MCU so he can wait.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2019 08:59 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Definitely interested.

Leo and Brad are completely unnecessary, though.

Old Post Jul 29th, 2019 09:35 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Leo and Brad both kinda carry this film on their shoulders.

There's also a scene that that made me laugh not only because it was brilliant, but because it touched me on a personal level, KMC's greatest thread, the 'Bruce Lee vs Mohammad Ali' thread.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 29th, 2019 09:42 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Without going into spoilers, does get into some darker and intense/violent moments?

(I'm thinking stuff similar to Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Hateful Eight)

Old Post Jul 30th, 2019 03:12 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Without going into spoilers, does get into some darker and intense/violent moments?

(I'm thinking stuff similar to Pulp Fiction, Inglorious Basterds, Hateful Eight)

This film goes [SPOILER - highlight to read]: full Tanrantino in about 0.1 seconds, not much of a spoiler, as I think 99% of viewers expect that by now.

Old Post Jul 30th, 2019 06:33 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Sweet! thumb up

Old Post Jul 30th, 2019 06:36 PM
Dr Will Hatch

Fantastic movie. I saw it last week, but I'm still thinking about it. It's going to hit you harder the more you know about the time period and the Manson Family though, which is why some people didn't "get" it. But yeah, it's my favourite movie this year so far.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2019 09:03 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BrolyBlack
Restricted

Account Restricted

Amazing movie. Will buy on Blu-ray

Old Post Aug 5th, 2019 09:15 PM
BrolyBlack is currently offline Click here to Send BrolyBlack a Private Message Find more posts by BrolyBlack Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I have tickets for this tonight, but I'm having car troubles. Hopefully I can still make it. *crosses fingers*

Old Post Aug 6th, 2019 12:30 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

I'd drive you if we lived closer.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2019 05:14 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Aw, c'mon. Cali to Georgia's just a hop, skip, and a jump.

Old Post Aug 6th, 2019 05:40 PM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

This was awesome...

Old Post Aug 7th, 2019 02:55 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

might finally see on the weekend

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 7th, 2019 03:24 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I'll admit that while watching it I felt like I was a little out of the loop because I didn't know much about the historical events and these old movie stars (someone tells me the two mains are made up? Is that true? I figured they were at least based on real people), but by the end of it and in retrospect I was like "Damn that was good," and Leonardo DiCaprio is just hilarious and entertaining. So it seemed a little esoteric and like sort of a nostalgia wank-fest at times, but it still delivered.

I love Tarantino's movies because you get to feel highbrow while watching trash, haha. He does really, really well-made trash. I think this one will be no different after repeat viewings. But I will admit that it maybe needed another hook in the story before the end cuz it did feel kind of long, a little too slow building. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: I would have liked to have seen Charles Manson with at least one other meaningful scene instead of appearing once so briefly. But a mysterious enigmatic figure is cool, too.

But goddamn Tarantino is a cinematic genius the way he gets these performances out of these actors.. highly entertaining. laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 7th, 2019 02:08 PM
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

loved everything with Pitt and DiCaprio but I gotta say that not only was the Sharon Tate stuff pointless which is fine as that's the case with some subplots in Tarantino films but it was boring as well, id say 75% of the film is amazing but that 25% kinda brings it down a bit for me

Old Post Aug 9th, 2019 08:03 AM
relentless1 is currently offline Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Gotta wait until next week for this.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2019 08:09 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

Originally posted by relentless1
loved everything with Pitt and DiCaprio but I gotta say that not only was the Sharon Tate stuff pointless which is fine as that's the case with some subplots in Tarantino films but it was boring as well, id say 75% of the film is amazing but that 25% kinda brings it down a bit for me

How familiar are you with the Manson Family? I think the more knowledgeable you are about it, the more powerful the movie ends up being.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2019 07:49 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Ungod

Originally posted by relentless1

I sympathize with that sentiment (except I don't think the Sharon Tate stuff was totally pointless as it came together at the end), I think Tarantino might have gotten a little carried away in the editing room with all the songs and driving and such. I thought a lot of it was sort of a nostalgia wank-fest. I think it's sort of intended as a way to soak up the scenery and live in the "world" (so to speak). But yeah, I agree I was a little bored at times. I'll be interested to see how it plays with repeat viewings.

Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
How familiar are you with the Manson Family? I think the more knowledgeable you are about it, the more powerful the movie ends up being.

Yeah, I'll be honest I wasn't very familiar with the Manson family before the film, but I sort of caught on while watching the film and then read up on it after. That helped me appreciate the film a lot more. The film is another parallel universe "vengeance flick" basically.

Old Post Aug 9th, 2019 11:35 PM