KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Islam vs Christianity: Which is morally superior?

Islam vs Christianity: Which is morally superior?
Started by: MythLord

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Adam_PoE

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
There's not as much in the scriptures of the Koran that could help it reform.

You say that as if non-fundamentalists of any religion believe in both the inerrancy and totality of scripture. Plenty say they do, but the all pick and choose. Case in point: millions of Western Christians and Muslims who have no problem integrating into secular society.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 05:10 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

thumb up

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 06:28 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Adam_PoE
You say that as if non-fundamentalists of any religion believe in both the inerrancy and totality of scripture. Plenty say they do, but the all pick and choose. Case in point: millions of Western Christians and Muslims who have no problem integrating into secular society.

A couple points you're missing:

1. Even non-fundamentalist Muslims still hold beliefs in doctrines that are in outright opposition to free liberal society, like death for apostates (that is not a doctrine in Christianity).

2. Another thing is that Christianity was not founded by a warlord nutcase, so it doesn't order its followers to wage jihad on infidels including dying in the process as a high, glorious honor.

Those are big differences. Yes, moderates don't take some of these things very seriously and that's good, but many of them would still be in favor of changing laws to make certain things like apostasy and homosexuality illegal (take a look at Saudi Arabia). And that is not conducive to free society. That is theocracy. I don't have exact poll numbers, but I guarantee if you took polls of Moderate Chrsitians vs. Moderate Muslims and asked, "Should the punishment from each respective religion for apostasy be death?" you'd get a lot more "Yeses" from the Moderate Muslims than you would from the Moderate Christians.

Point is they are not the same religion and to equate the two is foolish.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 01:25 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

IMO: Jews, Christians and Muslims can find "common ground" in some aspects of their faith.

1. I perceive Quran as the more refined and accurate (extension) of earlier Abrahamic scriptures. Surah Al-Ma'idah and Al-An'am are dedicated to the history of Jews and Christians and address their misconceptions.

2. All Abrahamic faiths refer to the same Cosmic God.

3. I believe that revelations of God are consistent throughout ages.

Take a look at original Ten Commandments for example: http://www.dummies.com/religion/jud...g-to-the-torah/

Absolutely compatible with Islamic teachings.

4. I recognize Moses (PBUH) and Jesus Christ (PBUH) as prophets/messengers of God along with many others. Muhammad (SAW) is the last prophet/messenger of God.

5. I do not generalize about qualities and personalities of prophets - they emerged in different environments and confronted different realities but they were all consistent in their message in regards to belief in oneness of the Cosmic God and to heed his warnings and embrace his teachings.

----

I am not interested in debate about Christianity (versus) Islam. I am all for finding common grounds in the matters of faith and interfaith harmony.

1. Even non-fundamentalist Muslims still hold beliefs in doctrines that are in outright opposition to free liberal society, like death for apostates (that is not a doctrine in Christianity).

This ruling is a political construct.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kashi..._b_5539236.html

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/op...2128717473.html

Quran does not suggests death penalty for apostasy.

https://quran.com/2/256
https://quran.com/18/29

2. Another thing is that Christianity was not founded by a warlord nutcase, so it doesn't order its followers to wage jihad on infidels including dying in the process as a high, glorious honor.

I clarified before that these judgments are in regards to those who wage war against Muslims and want to exterminate them.

Those are big differences. Yes, moderates don't take some of these things very seriously and that's good, but many of them would still be in favor of changing laws to make certain things like apostasy and homosexuality illegal (take a look at Saudi Arabia). And that is not conducive to free society. That is theocracy. I don't have exact poll numbers, but I guarantee if you took polls of Moderate Chrsitians vs. Moderate Muslims and asked, "Should the punishment from each respective religion for apostasy be death?" you'd get a lot more "Yeses" from the Moderate Muslims than you would from the Moderate Christians.

You endorse homosexuality without understanding its dangers and implications for the society at large.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/group/msm/index.html

https://www.nzaf.org.nz/getting-tes...sk-for-gay-men/

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...l-new-hiv-cases

Keep in mind that the Free Society ideals are not necessarily perfect or good in the long-term.

I described the implications of situation of women in Free Societies in detail here: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...17#post16258806

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 03:15 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Keep in mind that the Free Society ideals are not necessarily perfect or good in the long-term.

laughing out loud

So, things like free speech, freedom of the press? Equal rights between men and women? Those aren't good forever, huh... what's the halflife on them?

It's all making sense now: You don't think free society is good, so that's why you like Islam... it's the antidote to free society. Gotcha... haha..

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 05:09 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

A couple points you're missing:

Point is they are not the same religion and to equate the two is foolish.

There are Christians in America who want to make homosexuality illegal. There are sitting elected representatives who suggested putting gays and lesbians in concentration camps. This notion that oppressive Muslim ideologies pose a greater threat than oppressive Christian ideologies in this country is just not true.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:15 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

There are Christians in America who want to make homosexuality illegal.

If memory serves, homosexual acts, though not people, ARE still listed as illegal according to State Law. They go by the name "sodomy", though, and usually remain unenforced except for special cases. Pretty sure Michigan has one, for instance. I'd stop just shy of betting money that Texas has one, too.

There are sitting elected representatives who suggested putting gays and lesbians in concentration camps.

I want to see proof of this one. Unless by "concentration camp" you merely allude to what I wrote above, which is that according to State Law homosexual acts can be punished, like any other breach of law, with jail time.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:47 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

I suppose I should write *are* as opposed to *which is that*, since I hadn't actually written that yet ...

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:51 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

... or something equivalent that would grammatically flow with what was implied or alluded to. Anyway, you get the idea ...

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:54 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Lets see, both condone slavery, rape and wholesale slaughter of men, women and children. I'd say neither is morally above the other.

edit: forgot the wholesale slaughter of livestock

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 08:57 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
If memory serves, homosexual acts, though not people, ARE still listed as illegal according to State Law. They go by the name "sodomy", though, and usually remain unenforced except for special cases. Pretty sure Michigan has one, for instance. I'd stop just shy of betting money that Texas has one, too.

I want to see proof of this one. Unless by "concentration camp" you merely allude to what I wrote above, which is that according to State Law homosexual acts can be punished, like any other breach of law, with jail time.

The recriminalization of homosexuality and the incarceration of gays and lesbians is part of the official platform of the Montana Republican party since the U.S. Supreme Court struck down laws against sodomy.

The pastor of Providence Road Baptist Church posted a video of a sermon in which he says he "wants to round gays up behind an electric fence and wait for them to die off."

These are people and groups with real political power and cultural influence in the United States, unlike members of a small and marginalized minority religion.

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 09:14 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
Lets see, both condone slavery, rape and wholesale slaughter of men, women and children. I'd say neither is morally above the other.

edit: forgot the wholesale slaughter of livestock

The acts you just mentioned...in the modern day which religion do you think condones those acts more?

Old Post Jul 18th, 2017 10:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

There are Christians in America who want to make homosexuality illegal. There are sitting elected representatives who suggested putting gays and lesbians in concentration camps. This notion that oppressive Muslim ideologies pose a greater threat than oppressive Christian ideologies in this country is just not true.

Yeah, the Christian influence in America is a big problem, too. I agree. Luckily we have some also very deeply held and politically rooted liberal values that do pretty well at fighting back theocracy.

Originally posted by Surtur
The acts you just mentioned...in the modern day which religion do you think condones those acts more?

Yup, it's not just tolerated in Islam, it's downright encouraged. And Islam is also more creepily married to politics than Christianity is.

But again, why is everyone ignoring the fact that in Islam the punishment for apostasy is death? So free thought is outlawed in Islam. Christianity does not have this doctrine. So for me that makes Islam far more morally abhorrent than Christianity.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 12:36 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ It does tell you that you can go to Hell for thinking bad thoughts about your neighbor's wife when she wears a skimpy outfit. Not as bad as what you're talking about, but both seem to want you to turn off free thought for blind faith.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 12:40 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by socool8520
^ It does tell you that you can go to Hell for thinking bad thoughts about your neighbor's wife when she wears a skimpy outfit. Not as bad as what you're talking about, but both seem to want you to turn off free thought for blind faith.

Not exactly. That's just a sin. Sins can be forgiven. You could even burn children alive and be saved as long as you repent and accept the Lord Jesus Christ into your heart before you die. You only go to hell if you don't accept Jesus into your heart and get saved.

(please log in to view the image)

Christianity does not kill apostates. Heretics at one point yes, but not anymore, and it's not a strict doctrine like it is in Islam.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 02:19 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Fair enough, they just both seem to to tug at free thought too much for my liking. I will admit that Islam seems more violent, at least, by too far a number of its followers right now. I'm pro free religion, but it should not harm or impede the rights of others.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 02:24 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

laughing out loud

So, things like free speech, freedom of the press? Equal rights between men and women? Those aren't good forever, huh... what's the halflife on them?

It's all making sense now: You don't think free society is good, so that's why you like Islam... it's the antidote to free society. Gotcha... haha..

The so-called "Free Society" have its share of imperfections and issues - this is my point.

1. Gender equality is good. I fully support this.

2. Freedom of speech is just a "narrative." We are responsible for our views and their repercussions.

3. Freedom of press sounds good as long as you are not on its receiving end. I am an advocate of "responsible press."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...sponsible-press

I do not condone homosexuality, cultural objectification of women and cohabitation - these are unhealthy practices with significant implications for the fabric of society in the long-term.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 07:57 AM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

my main problem with islam is that i can't grow a proper beard

i've often thought about converting, but alas my beard would never truly meet islamic standards

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:02 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
my main problem with islam is that i can't grow a proper beard

i've often thought about converting, but alas my beard would never truly meet islamic standards

laughing out loud

You don't need a beard to be a Muslim. wink

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:16 AM
Afro Cheese

if that's what you think then you're not a real hardcore muslim

cause the real hardcore muslims have beard patrols. proven and documented in both Afghanistan under taliban rule and Iraq under Isis rule. And, if you don't have a beard/can't grow a beard, you're basically considered a woman to them thus rape might (will) ensue. And that, my friend, is not a fate I want. Not at all. I swear I don't.

Old Post Jul 19th, 2017 08:21 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote