KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Islam vs Christianity: Which is morally superior?

Islam vs Christianity: Which is morally superior?
Started by: MythLord

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Flyattractor

Oh the way the left ignors what is really going on in the world is so funny.

But then much like with Islam. Truth has never been one of the Lefts Values.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:04 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

The Mussies are coming! The Mussies are coming! sad

help, ma values

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:09 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

You have "values"?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:11 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

no, the mussies took them all away. sad

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:14 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

I am sure they will treat them ok. The Mussies are the best of hosts.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:35 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
And yet millions of American Muslims have found a way. Meanwhile, African Christians are mutilating genitals and burning people alive.

You're comparing two different extremes. American Muslims are probably the most moderate of all Muslims and African Christians are a particularly extreme non-reformed version of Christianity. You could do that with anything to prove a point. And the general political landscape of the land makes a difference too. Africa is sort of split into half Christian half Islam.

But if you look at the way a supposedly Christian majority country (the US) and an Islamic majority country (say Saudi Arabia or Indonesia) operate it's much more true to reality. Saudi Arabia imprisons apostates or critics of Islam and proponents of women's rights, kills homosexuals, etc. And why? Because their holy books command them to without much room for alternate interpretation.

Islam is inherently structured to be resistant to reform.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 12:39 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
You're comparing two different extremes. American Muslims are probably the most moderate of all Muslims and African Christians are a particularly extreme non-reformed version of Christianity. You could do that with anything to prove a point. And the general political landscape of the land makes a difference too. Africa is sort of split into half Christian half Islam.

But if you look at the way a supposedly Christian majority country (the US) and an Islamic majority country (say Saudi Arabia or Indonesia) operate it's much more true to reality. Saudi Arabia imprisons apostates or critics of Islam and proponents of women's rights, kills homosexuals, etc. And why? Because their holy books command them to without much room for alternate interpretation.

Islam is inherently structured to be resistant to reform.

Much more true to reality? The experience of American Muslims of their own religion is real. The experience of African Christians of their own religion is also real. Who are you to play arbiter of what is the True™ interpretation of someone else's religion?

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 05:27 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

You did the same thing by using American Muslims and African Christians. Except you used exaggerated examples. Of course there are exceptions. My point is that you should use examples that reflect more of the reality, what is more the core of the religion. The core of Christianity is Jesus and he didn't go around beheading homosexuals, apostates, and mutilating and raping women. Who was it that condoned those things? I forgot his name... der..

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Aug 10th, 2017 at 05:49 PM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 05:42 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Just saw a video from two days ago in Iran. A man taking public lashings for drinking alcohol. Jesus turned water into wine. Which religion has the better moral compass here?

Attachment: dg4pj_bxkai_lz1.jpg large.jpg
This has been downloaded 0 time(s).

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:16 PM
Afro Cheese

And yet millions of American Muslims have found a way. Meanwhile, African Christians are mutilating genitals and burning people alive.
Africa is ****ed in general, though. They do that kind of shit with or without Christianity/Islam/etc.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:35 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

You did the same thing by using American Muslims and African Christians. Except you used exaggerated examples.
The funny thing is the war crimes of African Christians and African Muslims are just new manifestation of the same brutal tribal violence that has plagued the continent for god knows how long.

It's not uniquely African but an aspect of primitive tribal behavior. For another example... the cannibal tribes in Papua New Guinea also believe deeply in witchcraft, and it is those accused of witchcraft that are typically killed and eaten.

The idea that you need a Holy Book to encourage this kind of irrational violence in a tribal environment is laughable. Shamanism is and has been an inherent aspect of tribal life since long before the dawn of civilization. Africans are generally not very far removed from this way of life, and the vast majority of the "religious" violence in Africa happens strictly along tribal lines.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 06:44 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

(please log in to view the image)

Originally posted by Afro Cheese
The funny thing is the war crimes of African Christians and African Muslims are just new manifestation of the same brutal tribal violence that has plagued the continent for god knows how long.

It's not uniquely African but an aspect of primitive tribal behavior. For another example... the cannibal tribes in Papua New Guinea also believe deeply in witchcraft, and it is those accused of witchcraft that are typically killed and eaten.

The idea that you need a Holy Book to encourage this kind of irrational violence in a tribal environment is laughable. Shamanism is and has been an inherent aspect of tribal life since long before the dawn of civilization. Africans are generally not very far removed from this way of life, and the vast majority of the "religious" violence in Africa happens strictly along tribal lines.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2017 10:29 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

^ lol, and that is supposed to prove some vague point of yours how? Does it prove that Islam is a religion of peace? No. And if it does, it also proves that Christianity is a religion of peace.

Of course throughout history our ancestors didn't need holy books to encourage irrational violence. I'm not arguing (and I don't think anyone is) that violence only comes from religious conflict and is only waged for religious reasons. Of course that's not the case.

But what's more tribal, irrational, and divisive than two groups of people disagreeing on which worldview will send themselves or their loved ones to hell? Why do you think there's such harsh punishments in Christianity and Islam for apostates? Because they may lead their loved ones astray and send them to hell. That's going to conjure up some pretty harsh violence because what is a little suffering in this life if it saves your loved ones from eternal damnation?

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 01:05 PM
YousufKhan1212
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Emperordmb
I'd stand by Christianity on this one... which isn't surprising given that I'm a Christian.

Basically, there are moral epithets within the Bible and traditional Christian theology that I obviously find disagreeable (such as verses referring to stoning people and homosexuality being immoral), however the core values of Christianity I think are justifiable as being very aligned with moral behavior from even a secular argument.

To Islam's credit, given that they both share Abrahamic roots, they both share the Garden of Eden Story, which I think is a rather perfect allegory for why we as humans have the proclivity and capacity for evil, as well as the emergence of personal and moral responsibility in humans in a way animals don't have, which is further expanded as being rooted in arrogance by arrogance being the cause of Satan's downfall as well as the temptation that lead to the fall of man. In Christianity, and if I'm not mistaken Islam as well, there's also the conversation between Moses and God through the burning bush where God states his identity as "I am that I am" which is a statement of self-awareness which I believe to be the ultimate truth and the root of love and meaning and therefore morality.

Where Christianity wins for me is where the two hedge off, with Jesus and his teachings being central to Christianity and Muhammad and his teachings being central to Islam. The life and teachings of Jesus further expand on arrogance being the root of evil with arrogance being the appeal Satan used to try and tempt Jesus with in the desert, a mainstream line of thought in Christian theology considering Pride to be the father of all sin, and a lot of Jesus's teachings placing emphasis on being humble as a counterpoint to arrogance. Some examples of humility being Jesus's criticism of the Pharisees for being pompous and arrogant and self-righteous (which more Christians would do well to remember when conducting themselves in their daily lives), the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector where pharisee prayed to God bragging about how righteous he is whereas the tax collector admitted his faults and begged forgiveness and Jesus approved of the latter and disapproved of the former, as well as his teachings regarding the importance of forgiveness, and even the humility of his birth being born in a manger to a poor family. His life and teachings at least in traditional sense also focus a lot around love with his two great commandments boiling down to act out of love for everyone (which I believe is defensible even secularly as the greatest moral code), the theological implications of God engaging in self-sacrifice through Jesus's death and resurrection, and the fact that when Jesus was being crucified he called for the forgiveness of the people torturing and killing him.

As far as my knowledge of Muhammad goes, the guy whose meant to be the central figure of Islam acted as a warlord and slave-owner, and whereas based on Jesus's words the main moral edict of Christianity is to act out of love for everyone, the main moral edict of Islam seems to be the defense of Islam as an institution, which don't get me wrong Christians have done similar things and violent bullshit in defense of Christianity, but that seems to go directly against Jesus's teachings, whereas war in favor of Islam seems to be something Muhammad would approve of given his participation in it during his life.

To be clear, I'm not defending Biblical Inerrancy, as I believe there are several regressive and outdated edicts within the Bible, however I would fiercely defend the validity and importance of the core values of Christianity and the implications of the example Jesus set forth. I'm not even saying every Christian is superior to every Muslim, given that individuals vary by a case by case basis in their attitudes and actions, however I find more moral value in the core values and theology of Christianity in comparison with Islam.

I'm with DMB on this.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 03:06 PM
YousufKhan1212 is currently offline Click here to Send YousufKhan1212 a Private Message Find more posts by YousufKhan1212 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

^ lol, and that is supposed to prove some vague point of yours how? Does it prove that Islam is a religion of peace? No. And if it does, it also proves that Christianity is a religion of peace.

No, it does indeed prove it. A particular religion is only as peaceful as its adherents. Point of fact: Western religions are more peaceful than their African counterparts. This is because 1. pluralism/secularism tames religion, and 2. cultural/tribal conflict is the root of religious conflict. If religions had fixed, i.e. "real" identities that could be compared and contrasted, and graded on a scale of which is better or worse than the other, then there would not be 33,000 denominations of Christianity.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 05:38 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

A lot of this is correct, but here is the thing: I would wager that most people who do not feel Islam is a religion of peace do not feel that Islam is the *only* religion with abhorrent passages in their holy books and it's not the only religion to cause people to get violent.

I also would think most people do not think you need a holy book to have irrational violence.

What bothers some people is when people try to pretend like religion has nothing to do with some of these terror attacks. Despite countless ones screaming allahu akbar before going on their murder sprees. What bothers me is they try to blame this on anything other than religion.(I am not saying you personally do this).

The usual things people blame are politics, poverty, etc. Those things are definitely factors, however IMO the way these people *react* to these problems stems from Islam. Islam is why they think blowing themselves up in public places is the best way to achieve your goals. It's how they justify decapitating children and flying planes into buildings.

I am not saying all Muslims are like that, the majority of them are not. However, on 9/11 we had thousands of people killed and 6,000 more injured. It took 19 people, just 19, to wipe out thousands of lives in a matter of hours. I truly feel we do a disservice to all those lost on that day(and to all victims of Islamic terrorism) when we pretend Islam wasn't a major factor in all this.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 06:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

No, it does indeed prove it. A particular religion is only as peaceful as its adherents. Point of fact: Western religions are more peaceful than their African counterparts. This is because 1. pluralism/secularism tames religion, and 2. cultural/tribal conflict is the root of religious conflict. If religions had fixed, i.e. "real" identities that could be compared and contrasted, and graded on a scale of which is better or worse than the other, then there would not be 33,000 denominations of Christianity.
thumb up

It's this backwards belief that religion shapes society as opposed to the other way around that leads people to conclude that if we 'get rid of Islam' terrorism would go away. It wouldn't, if people are prepared to blow up innocents and themselves with them they'll find justification.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Aug 11th, 2017 at 07:08 PM

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 07:06 PM
Adam_PoE

Originally posted by Beniboybling
thumb up

It's this backwards belief that religion shapes society as opposed to the other way around that leads people to conclude that if we 'get rid of Islam' terrorism would go away. It wouldn't, if people are prepared to blow up innocents and themselves with them they'll find justification.

Right. Religion merely provides a powerful language for people to justify the things they want to do anyway. "You know you have made God in your own image when He hates all the same people you do." If you remove the justification of religion, people will simply substitute another one.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 07:55 PM
Afro Cheese

Of course throughout history our ancestors didn't need holy books to encourage irrational violence. I'm not arguing (and I don't think anyone is) that violence only comes from religious conflict and is only waged for religious reasons. Of course that's not the case.
Of course. I just think that people will latch onto the reasons that are convenient for their own ideological narrative. If you are someone who is against religion, then you will emphasize the religious element of violence wherever you find it.

Case in point being Africa. When people bring up the bloodshed and witchhunts etc in Africa they generally do so with the undertone of "see what religion does to people?" But in this case, a lot of this shit was already happening before Christianity or Islam ever made their way into Africa. Once they did, these religions largely mapped onto the African tribal cultures that already existed.

I'm not saying that this is the only way in which people selectively emphasize the causes they find useful to their narrative. The flip side is liberals who will look at the war on terror and the causes of Islamic terror as being purely a result of western imperialism and foreign policy as well as poverty and a lack of education/opportunity. The pretty much ignore any possible religious or cultural causes for the extremism.

Both of these approaches are equally short sighted IMO, and I believe they are designed more for the purposes of pursuing a particular agenda than they are for actually trying to understand why any of this stuff happens.

So I take it on a case by case basis. When a Christian murders an abortion doctor, I certainly don't ignore the religious motivations behind that. Aside from whatever mental instability that person might suffer from, of course. And the same goes for groups like ISIS. I believe that they are really motivated by both a political and religious Utopian vision of bringing forth the new caliphate.

But my main point is people tend to get sloppy and fall into the trap of using the same tool kit to explain every single situation. So you might lump honor killings, female genital mutilation, etc under the umbrella of "Islam" but to my eye these are practices that occur mostly in certain cultures, some of which are Islamic and some of which aren't. So I get the idea that these sorts of barbaric practices are much more something associated with "that part of the world" than strictly with Islam or any other religion.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 10:24 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Look there can be many factors that lead for people to behave this savagely. It isn't always a religion, but sometimes it is. Islam is one of those times.

We just can't ignore it, we can't say it's not Islam. It goes beyond mere savagery. They have rape rules. You can rape a married woman if she is your captive. That goes beyond the savage instinct inherent in all human beings.

This is honestly why I made my other thread about why this religion is so special. If Christians were committing various terror attacks across Europe and quoting scripture or screaming about God as they do it, people would not shy away from the religious aspect. What did Islam do to earn such special treatment?

Last edited by Surtur on Aug 11th, 2017 at 11:41 PM

Old Post Aug 11th, 2017 11:37 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote