KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Handmaid's Tale

Handmaid's Tale
Started by: BackFire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Handmaid's Tale

Very surprised there's no thread on this show. I think it's the best show I've seen since Breaking Bad, was incredibly impressed with it. Great acting and a very unique and compelling take on the dystopian future trope.

Also some very disturbing and powerful moments.

Any other thoughts?

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2017 12:51 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
samhain
The Demon Hunter

Very tough show to watch, compelling but uncomfortable at times is what I mean. Think they did a great job of capturing the feel of the novel with the costumes and set design and the original content really does add extra layers that improve the story. The only slight downside for me would be that in the novel there's not much clue as to how much time has passed since the end of days so to speak IIRC, yet in the show (for obvious reasons) you can clearly tell that it's been around 7 or 8 years and it's a little difficult to see how a society like the one we see in the show could have established itself so thoroughly in such an amount of time. Looking forward to a second season as like The Man In The High Castle, the first season pretty much covered the whole story and we'll be venturing into new territory.

rolling on floor laughing smokin' messed

Old Post Sep 24th, 2017 08:10 AM
samhain is currently offline Click here to Send samhain a Private Message Find more posts by samhain Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Very Prophetic show, I hope all its prophecy is over now, but somehow, I sadly don't think it is.

Old Post Jul 31st, 2022 09:17 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

First season was the best, it's still good but gone down hill since.

This show is a Rightist's wet dream, White men rule and are the final authority on everything, women are illiterate and subservient, minorities know their place and it's all held together by extreme violence and their skewed view of Christianity.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 2nd, 2022 at 04:39 PM

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2022 04:30 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
First season was the best, it's still good but gone down hill since.

This show is a Rightist's wet dream, White men rule and are the final authority on everything, women are illiterate and subservient, minorities know their place and it's all held together by extreme violence and their skewed view of Christianity.
I've continued to enjoy it, but yeah, season 1 was best. I think you put me on watching it.

Old Post Aug 2nd, 2022 09:13 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

You're welcome smile

Old Post Aug 4th, 2022 08:38 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I'm planning to watch this show in the coming weeks, I hope.

Looks good. And disturbing.

Old Post Nov 10th, 2022 10:18 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

It should have ended a season or two ago, but I still plan on watching the last season as I've gone this far.

This still remains true:

quote:

Old Post Nov 11th, 2022 08:21 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, it's definitely a Christian Taliban takeover.

We watched the first 2 episodes.

Christian Nationalists would LOVE for some sort of pandemic of infertility, so they could have good practical reasons to subjugate women and outlaw abortion.

My question is why don't they use technology to spy on women? I suspect there is some explanation in the book about preferring to just use paranoid suspicion and ratting out neighbors, etc?

Old Post Nov 12th, 2022 01:01 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

So what, this is basically all about feminist and activist talking points? Men want to control women, religion wants to control women, abortion is about controlling women?

If that's what it is, I may have to give it a pass, I can get all that from the GDF. stick out tongue

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2022 03:31 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

I mean, I'm not very far into it yet, but I'm assuming it's more to do with Theocratic control than "feminist talking points." And it's using a specific sci-fi aspect (infertility) to build the world.

Old Post Nov 12th, 2022 07:49 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Almost done with Season 1. One more episode left.

Goddamn, this show is great so far.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2022 02:16 AM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i have never watched, so should i?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Nov 21st, 2022 03:56 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I mean, I'm not very far into it yet, but I'm assuming it's more to do with Theocratic control than "feminist talking points." And it's using a specific sci-fi aspect (infertility) to build the world.

That would explain why I just say the book in a top 100 sci-fi books list.

I may have to watch this then.

Was playing a game called Crying Suns, which is very much inspired by Foundations and I-Robot, and a brief plot point had an artificial fertility device limiting conceptions accidentally stuck in the other direction, and creating a 99.9% fertility rate on a space station that can't absorb them. You're asked to fix it, which depends on a stat check (Having the right crew), and if you can't they're sool.

Because you can't just manufacturer condoms? 🤪🤪

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 21st, 2022 02:19 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Wife and I are making our way through Season 2 and this show is incredible.

I don't think my wife has ever been so addicted to a show. I was too tired last night to watch an episode, so she went and watched one without me! She gets mad if we don't watch it after the kids are down, heh..

She's a pretty liberal Catholic, but I hope it helps make her at least ever-so-slightly more skeptical of religion.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2022 02:48 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

My wife's an atheist, i started saying shit like "under his eye" around the household.

Old Post Nov 30th, 2022 05:21 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Praise be! laughing out loud

I'm the atheist in our household, but I might start doing it, too. 😆

Old Post Nov 30th, 2022 10:06 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Finished with Season 2, and we just started Season 3. This show is still great...

Old Post Dec 7th, 2022 12:47 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

I think three was the start of the downward slope for me. Sill a good show, but the golden period is over.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2022 12:18 AM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Robtard
I think three was the start of the downward slope for me. Sill a good show, but the golden period is over.

Okay, we just finished the episode where Serena and Commander Waterford issued the (I'm assuming) international address to get "their" baby back.

It just seems that the whole world will know that they're full of shit, especially since your handmaid is there on camera, too. Why put her on camera with you?

Old Post Dec 10th, 2022 02:23 PM