KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » What if Ben Kenobi died of a stroke before he could come into contact with Luke?

What if Ben Kenobi died of a stroke before he could come into contact with Luke?
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

What if Ben Kenobi died of a stroke before he could come into contact with Luke?

Would Luke still become a jedi? Would he not care for r2d2 when he arrived?

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 01:49 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Abonis

When I first read this, I legitimately laughed out loud. If he died of a stroke, then I guess nothing would happen and the Emperor would rule the galaxy forever

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 02:56 AM
Click here to Send Darth Abonis a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Abonis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

He'd be dead, cause the Sand People..

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 03:08 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
He'd be dead, cause the Sand People..
Great point!

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 03:16 AM
Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

loving the new profile pic and sig Kurk thumb up

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Aug 4th, 2017 04:13 AM
Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

I can't sleep, so I'm going to type about how you're wrong.

So, Yoda clearly had his eyes set on Leia to be the next jedi, not Luke. To be honest, he'd had a point. Anakin, Leia, and Padme were all some of the most accomplished people of their times by the age of 19. Luke, by that age, was making vroom vroom noises with toy spaceships. And he wasn't the best choice of student for all of what Yoda said. Now, while Obi-Wan, because he'd been so close to Luke this entire time, convinced Yoda that Luke was a worthy student, if Luke would have stayed on that desert planet, likely Leia would have become the jedi, defeated the emperor, found out Luke was her brother, gotten him off Tatooine, taught him in the ways of the Force, and pretty much the EXACT same thing would have happened afterwards, except with Leia taking the role of Luke and vice versa.

Old Post May 10th, 2018 06:56 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

Originally posted by Zentrex

So, Yoda clearly had his eyes set on Leia to be the next jedi, not Luke. To be honest, he'd had a point. Anakin, Leia, and Padme were all some of the most accomplished people of their times by the age of 19. Luke, by that age, was making vroom vroom noises with toy spaceships. And he wasn't the best choice of student for all of what Yoda said. Now, while Obi-Wan, because he'd been so close to Luke this entire time, convinced Yoda that Luke was a worthy student, if Luke would have stayed on that desert planet, likely Leia would have become the jedi, defeated the emperor, found out Luke was her brother, gotten him off Tatooine, taught him in the ways of the Force, and pretty much the EXACT same thing would have happened afterwards, except with Leia taking the role of Luke and vice versa.
The only reason the Deathstar was destroyed was because the trench was just like Beggar's Canyon back home and bullseying womp rats back home with his t-16 and they aren't much bigger than 2 meters.

Old Post May 10th, 2018 08:12 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Freedon Nadd

He would be, somehow, adopted by the Sand People.

RealistRacism: "Sheevites, much like the Banites, were meant to increase in power with each member. From Lightsnake to Gideon to Azronger, this was supposed to be the case. However, knowledge must've been lost in some kind of Gravid-like incident, as Az turned out to be a mid-tier debater with a sub-par track record, sh!itting all over Tempest's legacy. Sad."

Old Post May 10th, 2018 07:17 PM
Click here to Send Freedon Nadd a Private Message Find more posts by Freedon Nadd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Originally posted by One Big Mob
The only reason the Deathstar was destroyed was because the trench was just like Beggar's Canyon back home and bullseying womp rats back home with his t-16 and they aren't much bigger than 2 meters.

The WHOLE reason, though? Cause the computer and human skill failed. It was the Force which made it work. Anyone that has the Force could have made the proton torpedoes go into the exhaust port.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 02:17 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
One Big Mob
Dead

The WHOLE reason, though? Cause the computer and human skill failed. It was the Force which made it work. Anyone that has the Force could have made the proton torpedoes go into the exhaust port.
Not the whole reason, but the only reason it was destroyed was because of Luke's piloting skills beforehand. Obviously the force helped, no one is denying that.

The difference is if you would have put Leia up there she would have force guided herself into the wall and killed herself, and the Deathstar would have not been destroyed.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 05:48 AM
Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Well, perhaps she would have just stayed on a ship close to the death star with x-wings around her to distract the turbolasers. She could then have an x-wing fire a shot, and she'd use the Force to guide into the shaft. I know that sounds stupid, but Yoda was fairly confident that Leia was the better choice, so maybe he had a point?...

Old Post May 11th, 2018 10:10 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

After the Death Star incident maybe. I just don't see anyone but a pilot being a good user for that first movie

Old Post May 11th, 2018 10:23 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

I see what you're saying.

I'd still say that they'd figure it out, but you've convinced me that the death star wouldn't have been destroyed as quickly and easily as it was.

Old Post May 11th, 2018 10:27 PM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

In the TLJ novelization, Luke had a premonition of what his life would've been if he hadn't left home with Kenobi.

In short, he would've never left Tatooine at all, he would've never become a Jedi, Leia would've been executed, the Death Star would've destroyed Alderaan, Mon Cala, and Chandrila, and the Empire itself would've never fallen.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post May 12th, 2018 12:24 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

What if that premonition wasn't entirely accurate? Are there not other possibilities? Is Kenobi's death the sole catalyst for what happened? And was Yoda going to do nothing about this? And the hundreds of other Jedi that survived order 66? I'm not a believer. Also, it's really stupid that the Empire would never have died. Darth Vader would have killed the emperor, one way or another. It was supposed to be inevitable.

And that's just the canon timeline. The legends continuity is different. I can't see that happening.

Old Post May 12th, 2018 10:41 PM
Tzeentch
#gottem

Leia was too aggressive and political to ever be the Jedi Yoda and Ben needed. She would have fallen to the dark side by failing the test that Luke passed when he spared Vader's life after killing him.

Luke being a dumbass flyover-state hick filled with humble pie ultimately worked in his favor.

This isn't even taking into consideration of course that if Luke wasn't in the picture Leia and the Rebellion would have just been destroyed by the Death Star.

What if that premonition wasn't entirely accurate? Are there not other possibilities? Is Kenobi's death the sole catalyst for what happened? And was Yoda going to do nothing about this? And the hundreds of other Jedi that survived order 66? I'm not a believer. Also, it's really stupid that the Empire would never have died. Darth Vader would have killed the emperor, one way or another. It was supposed to be inevitable.

And that's just the canon timeline. The legends continuity is different. I can't see that happening.
The movies themselves answer your question.

"That boy was our last hope."

"No. There is another."

As far as both Yoda and Obi-Wan were concerned the Skywalkers were the last hope for defeating the dark side.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on May 12th, 2018 at 11:03 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2018 11:01 PM
Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

That's just Yoda and Obi-Wan's opinion. And wasn't this before Lucas came up with the prophecy of the chosen one?

Old Post May 13th, 2018 12:00 AM
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

What if that premonition wasn't entirely accurate?
The force itself intentionally gave Luke that premonition(even though he had tried to cut himself off from it entirely.) So yes, I'd put a lot of stock in it, tbh.
quote:
"That was no ordinary dream, and you know it," Luke thought to himself.
Luke raised the hood of his jacket with his mechanical hand, stroking his beard with the flesh-and-blood one. He wanted to argue with himself, but he knew better. The Force was at work here--it had cloaked itself in a dream, to slip through the defenses he'd thrown up against it. But was the dream a promise? A warning? Or both?

-TLJ

And was Yoda going to do nothing about this?
Well, he spent the 22 years between RotS and ESB doing almost nothing of note, and then another year continuing to do almost nothing... Then he died.

So no, I don't think Yoda would have tried to solo the entire Empire.

And the hundreds of other Jedi that survived order 66?
Almost all of the Jedi who survived O66 had been purged by the time ANH rolled around, and those who remained were certainly no challenge to Vader -- let alone Palpatine.

*Only* Luke(and presumably Leia) had the potential to truly threaten Vader/Palpatine. If they had been removed from play from the get-go, it would have drastically changed everything.

Also, it's really stupid that the Empire would never have died.
Why? If Luke/Leia weren't in the picture, the Empire would have never been truly compromised.

Darth Vader would have killed the emperor, one way or another. It was supposed to be inevitable.
Vader ultimately redeemed himself(and killed Palpatine) BECAUSE OF his love for Luke. If Luke weren't in the picture, it is very unlikely that Vader would've ever made a move against Palpatine.

Last edited by Galan007 on May 13th, 2018 at 02:51 AM

Old Post May 13th, 2018 02:39 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Galan007
In the TLJ novelization, Luke had a premonition of what his life would've been if he hadn't left home with Kenobi.

In short, he would've never left Tatooine at all, he would've never become a Jedi, Leia would've been executed, the Death Star would've destroyed Alderaan, Mon Cala, and Chandrila, and the Empire itself would've never fallen.

The empire would have fallen, just not as quickly as it did irl. No way it's rivaling the ten thousand year reign of the republic.

Old Post May 13th, 2018 07:31 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I didn't mean 'never' in the literal sense -- all empires fall at *some* point.

But if Luke/Leia were removed from the picture, I do feel confident that the Empire would have endured much, much longer than it did... Hence why it was still going strong in Luke's premonition.

Old Post May 13th, 2018 06:15 PM