KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Americans already feeling effects of climate change, says report

Americans already feeling effects of climate change, says report
Started by: Beniboybling

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthgoober

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
I believed you the first time you explained.

Okay then. Good talk regardless.

Cool thanks. I just didn't want to leave any lingering doubt in your mind about it.

Oh yeah, def a good talk. I was in no way suggesting that everyone should start calling BS about climate change, I was only explaining how some people like myself might still be hesitant to accept many of the changes in policy being proposed.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:33 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by darthgoober
I'm actually skeptical about the implications and severity of the threat because the hard core pushers of the idea keep getting the effects wrong.

I was only explaining how some people like myself might still be hesitant to accept many of the changes in policy being proposed.

it's like this: why take a chance?

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Last edited by Bashar Teg on Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:37 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:34 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Bashar Teg

Are you a hardcore Christian?

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:37 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Are you a hardcore Christian?

nope. raised catholic, artheist now. you wont catch me desecrating any holy relics, though. because...

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:39 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

nope. raised catholic, artheist now. you wont catch me desecrating any holy relics, though. because...

Yes but aren't you taking the chance just by being an Atheist? I mean Hell is supposed to be forever... why risk it when you could die in 5 minutes?

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:43 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:41 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Yes but aren't you taking the chance just by being an Athiest?

i suppose, but i feel that its more like i'm hedging my bets instead of taking a reckless gamble on one option because its popular/easier/cheaper.

also if there was 1/1000th of empirical evidence of god's existence as there is for climate change, i'm pretty sure i'd have a way different attitude.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:44 PM
darthgoober

i suppose, but i feel that its more like i'm hedging my bets instead of taking a reckless gamble on one option because its popular/easier/cheaper.

also if there was 1/1000th of empirical evidence of god's existence as there is for climate change, i'm pretty sure i'd have a way different attitude.

Yes but as an atheist am I correct in assume you're a big proponent of the scientific method? Well if a group of scientist are repeadly proven wrong in their predictions of a particular outcome, how much credit do you think their currently predicted outcomes that use the same logic and types of evidence should be given?

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:51 PM

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:48 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

"proven wrong" is too non-specific. example: if they called for a .03% rise in GMT and it turned out to be .025%, technically that calculation was proven wrong while the actual data validates the whole concept.

so i need specifics before i answer anything in that ballpark.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:52 PM
darthgoober

"proven wrong" is too non-specific. example: if they called for a .03% rise in GMT and it turned out to be .025%, technically that calculation was proven wrong while the actual data validates the whole concept.

so i need specifics before i answer anything in that ballpark.

Well in the 70s they proposed global cooling could start as early in the late 80s... that didn't happen. In the 80s when they realized they were wrong the changed the term to global warming and suggest that the world would become so much hotter by 2000 that new deserts would start to form... that didn't happen. Since then they've been saying the ice caps would continue to gradually shrink until they disappeared but in 2013 NASA satelite images revealed that the southern ice cap was bigger than had EVER been recorded. In fact in 2009 Al Gore went on record as saying that withing 7 years the norther ice cap would be completely gone... and it's not.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 10:59 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

thats kinda like mocking the weatherman because we got 2 inches of snow instead of 12, and then concluding that it's never gonna snow again. NASA has the data, and there has been a long-rising trend in global mean temperature. even if you didn't want to bother looking it up, you can just check the hundreds of news articles about arctic melting.

so we know it's happening but we're not all 100% agreed that we caused it. again i say: why take a chance? if you find a particular piece of legislation to be grossly presumptuous and unsustainable, that's a whole other matter.

also, the term 'global warming' had to be changed to "climate change" because people wouldn't cease with the "snow flurry in texas = global warming debunked" trope.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 11:10 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

When their house is ashes, they'll just go "how were we supposed to know?". Robtard will look down and laugh at them.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 11:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 11:39 PM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by jaden101
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/201...-sea-level-rise

I'm sure it'll be fine....

TBF, the very rich living at the top floors of the expensive condones have nothing to fear from rising sea levels.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 15th, 2017 11:48 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

thats kinda like mocking the weatherman because we got 2 inches of snow instead of 12, and then concluding that it's never gonna snow again. NASA has the data, and there has been a long-rising trend in global mean temperature. even if you didn't want to bother looking it up, you can just check the hundreds of news articles about arctic melting.

so we know it's happening but we're not all 100% agreed that we caused it. again i say: why take a chance? if you find a particular piece of legislation to be grossly presumptuous and unsustainable, that's a whole other matter.

also, the term 'global warming' had to be changed to "climate change" because people wouldn't cease with the "snow flurry in texas = global warming debunked" trope.

I do in fact mock the weatherman when he's wrong and currently have no faith in any of them either. I never make definitive plans based on their predictions. The great thing about science is that once you truly understand the science you can predict outcomes with 100% accuracy because science is constant, unchanging, and easily predictable once every variable is accounted for. If it's not all those it's not really science, it's just some educated guesses. And there have been so many scientific "facts" proven to be mistakes based on false assumptions and/or outright lies/hoaxes I have no faith left unless the science meets those 3 prerequisites. So until they crack the environmental code so to speak, I'm not voluntarily supporting anything that'll cause me to fork over any extra money or devote any time to it. Sorry but things like pot killing braincells, recycling plastic having any real environmental impact, and other such nonsense have used up every f*ck I had to give unless/until there's concrete evidence.

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 16th, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 12:02 AM
Afro Cheese

Originally posted by Surtur
Rob, just stop. You do not want an actual discussion on this lol. None of you do and I can tell just by the circle jerk that immediately started. Nobody wanted to engage, they just wanted to leave snotty remarks.

Which is fine, the board is near dead, but lets not deny it.
So I take it you don't believe in climate change?

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 05:46 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Do I believe in Cllimate Change? Yes.

Do I belive in the Leftist Progressive Lie Machine that over hypes and tries to churn up the Fear about this nonburger to push their Fascist Agenda.

OH HELL YES!

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 05:54 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

I'm actually skeptical about the implications and severity of the threat because the hard core pushers of the idea keep getting the effects wrong. The world didn't start towards an ice age in the late 80s like they suggested in the 70s. The world didn't become unbearably hotter with new deserts forming by 2000 like they suggested in the late 80s once they realized they were wrong about global cooling. Despite all the talk about the ice caps disappearing for decades, in 2013 the southern ice cap was bigger than had ever been recorded according to NASA satellite reports. In 2009 Al Gore that the north ice cap would be completely melted within 7 years... and it's not.

I'm not saying that there's nothing happening, but the fact of the matter is that people obviously don't know enough about how the whole system works together to scare me in regards to their predicted consequences. At this point they seem a lot like those preachers who keep predicting the rapture on a specific day so everyone in his churge gears up and waits for it... and then when it doesn't happen the preacher makes another prediction and everyone does it again and the cycle just goes on and on. I believe in God but there's no way I'm going to sell all my stuff and go out in field and wait for him.
But in the 1960s!

I feel like people don't grasp the concept that science progresses over time, or that Al Gore isn't a scientist, or that recent climate models have been correct year on year. no expression

Fyi: The ice caps are are still dissappearing, despite gains in Antartica.

Last edited by Beniboybling on Aug 16th, 2017 at 06:14 AM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 05:59 AM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

I'm actually skeptical about the implications and severity of the threat because the hard core pushers of the idea keep getting the effects wrong. The world didn't start towards an ice age in the late 80s like they suggested in the 70s. The world didn't become unbearably hotter with new deserts forming by 2000 like they suggested in the late 80s once they realized they were wrong about global cooling. Despite all the talk about the ice caps disappearing for decades, in 2013 the southern ice cap was bigger than had ever been recorded according to NASA satellite reports. In 2009 Al Gore that the north ice cap would be completely melted within 7 years... and it's not.

I'm not saying that there's nothing happening, but the fact of the matter is that people obviously don't know enough about how the whole system works together to scare me in regards to their predicted consequences. At this point they seem a lot like those preachers who keep predicting the rapture on a specific day so everyone in his churge gears up and waits for it... and then when it doesn't happen the preacher makes another prediction and everyone does it again and the cycle just goes on and on. I believe in God but there's no way I'm going to sell all my stuff and go out in field and wait for him.
The actual effects are certainly the hardest thing to pin point in advance, but that's never been a particularly compelling argument to me. I've heard some people say maybe things will be better with global warming... frankly that's not the sort of thing I'd gamble on, given the choice.

And there is more than one reason for us to make the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energies... so I really am pretty disappointed at our general failure to tackle this problem to the extent that I believe we can.

Where I think there is a reasonable debate is what approach do we take to making this transition. I generally have little faith in the conservationist methods of basically penalizing companies for carbon emissions. This forces a trade off between economy and environment, which is often necessary, but in a sort of catastrophic scenario like this I don't see that approach realistically reversing the general trend of climate change before irreparable damage is done.

Thus, I think the only solution is an investment in the kind of technology that will eventually produce a real viable alternative to the current oil and gas based infrastructure. I think about things like the Atom bomb... or going to the moon... it seems like when we face an existential threat in the form of a foreign boogeyman, we have the capacity to pour a bunch of money into the necessary science and render a result in a relatively timely manner. I don't feel this is being done with climate change/renewable energy. And I can't think of a more worthy candidate for such a campaign. But unfortunately abstract ecological threats don't seem to resonate and put the fire under people's asses as well as scary looking Nazi's/Commies marching in formation.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 06:02 AM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_W_LeGenD

Climate conditions will continue to change over time - humans in the picture or not.

The best we can do is to learn to adapt. However, if somebody thinks that we can stop global warming or this phenomenon is under our control - he has bought into leftist propaganda.

This story is just like that of ozone hole - a phenomenon that [is] completely natural but two scientists claimed otherwise and got Pulitzer price for it.

Originally posted by Flyattractor
Do I believe in Cllimate Change? Yes.

Do I belive in the Leftist Progressive Lie Machine that over hypes and tries to churn up the Fear about this nonburger to push their Fascist Agenda.

OH HELL YES!

thumb up

Last edited by S_W_LeGenD on Aug 16th, 2017 at 01:35 PM

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 01:28 PM
S_W_LeGenD is currently offline Click here to Send S_W_LeGenD a Private Message Find more posts by S_W_LeGenD Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese

but do you think that releasing carbon in the atmosphere has an impact on how much heat the atmosphere retains from the sun?

Old Post Aug 16th, 2017 01:59 PM