KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Thirdhand Smoke

Thirdhand Smoke
Started by: Jmanghan

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthgoober

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
I've seen several episodes of that show.

That doesn't change the fact that non-smokers should have to deal with smokers smoking when we're trying to get a bite to eat, have a drink etc. Like I said, smoke as much as you want, just keep it away from non-smokers thumb up

Though it should be noted that health issues from smoking also cost tax dollars. But we can ignore that for now.

I hate ketchup and the smell of ketchup BAD... like really, really bad. If the smell is too strong it actually makes me feel nauseated. Does that mean I have the right to demand that people in public or an independently owned establishment have to take anything that smells strongly of ketchup away from me?

Anyway, here's a small clip of the episode since you're already a fan of them...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKcibsUqN2A

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:34 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Well, when the smell of ketchup can give you cancer, you'll have a point.

Until then, smoke five packs a day, just keep it away from us sensible types.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:35 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Has it been conclusively proven that secondhand smoke causes cancer? Because at least at the time of Penn and Teller's show it hadn't(they discuss it in that clip).

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:36 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Yes, it's believed that cigarette smoking can lead to lung cancer and studies have shown that smoking greatly increases that chance, among other ill health affects.

Your "secondhand smoke" caveat doesn't negate the above, cigarette smoke isn't magically cleansed of its toxins by someone's lungs. You don't inhale cancer and exhale unicorn farts.

Do you smoke around infants? children? teens? What is your line, if anything?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Yes, it's believed that cigarette smoking can lead to lung cancer and studies have shown that smoking greatly increases that chance, among other ill health affects.

Your "secondhand smoke" caveat doesn't negate the above, cigarette smoke isn't magically cleansed of its toxins by someone's lungs. You don't inhale cancer and exhale unicorn farts.

Do you smoke around infants? children? teens? What is your line, if anything?

Unless the majority of toxins are actually absorbed by being inhaled into the lungs... which could explain why people who smoke get lung cancer.

It DOES mean that claims of second hand smoke causing cancer are unfounded by science. Which means the only real reason to ban it is to cater to people who dislike the smell... and if that's the case then there needs to be a law requiring people to keep ketchup the f*ck away from me.

I personally try not to smoke around children too small to walk away. But I won't stop just because someone brings an infant in my house knowing that I smoke.

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 05:47 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:43 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by darthgoober
Unless the majority of toxins are actually absorbed by being inhaled into the lungs... which could explain why people who smoke get lung cancer.

I personally try not to smoke around children too small to walk away. But I won't stop just because someone brings an infant in my house knowing that I smoke.

As noted, your lungs don't magically absorb all the toxins, SHS is still potentially lethal. If you don't believe me, how about the CDC:

"Secondhand smoke is the combination of smoke from the burning end of a cigarette and the smoke breathed out by smokers. Secondhand smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals. Hundreds are toxic and about 70 can cause cancer.

Since the 1964 Surgeon General’s Report, 2.5 million adults who were nonsmokers died because they breathed secondhand smoke.1

There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke."
-snip

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_st...fects/index.htm

So yah, you're literally putting other people at risk with your belligerent addiction. Smoke all you want, just be sensible and compassionate enough to not endanger others. Think of it like drinking alcohol. Drink all you like, just don't drive a car afterwards.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:48 PM
darthgoober

As noted, your lungs don't magically absorb all the toxins, SHS is still potentially lethal. If you don't believe me, how about the CDC:

"Secondhand smoke is the combination of smoke from the burning end of a cigarette and the smoke breathed out by smokers. Secondhand smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals. Hundreds are toxic and about 70 can cause cancer.

Since the 1964 Surgeon General’s Report, 2.5 million adults who were nonsmokers died because they breathed secondhand smoke.1

There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke."
-snip

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_st...fects/index.htm

So yah, you're literally putting other people at risk with your belligerent addiction. Smoke all you want, just be sensible and compassionate enough to not endanger others. Think of it like drinking alcohol. Drink all you like, just don't drive a car afterwards.

What do they say about emissions by cars? Just because chemicals are toxic doesn't mean that you'll get cancer by exposure to trace amounts of them. Should cars be outlawed from being around people?

The way they calculate deaths from secondhand smoke is a fallacy. What they do is to classify any death involving someone who was frequently exposed to with a nonspecifc cause(IE any kind of cancer, heart disease, etc) and say that the secondhand smoke contributed to the death.

In regards to the Surgeon General, what all has the office said about the health effects of marijuanna since 1964?

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 05:57 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

FFS, never mind. First it was "secondhand smokes isn't really harmful", then I show you it is and you go whataboutary in defense of a habit you know deep down inside is harmful to yourself and others.

Personally, I'm glad anti-smoking laws are gaining more and more traction.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:02 PM
darthgoober

FFS, never mind. First it was "secondhand smokes isn't really harmful", then I show you it is and you go whataboutary in defense of a habit you know deep down inside is harmful to yourself and others.

Personally, I'm glad anti-smoking laws are gaining more and more traction.

You didn't actually show me that it is. I asked if it's been conclussively proven to be harmful and you pointed out statements made by institutions with a trackrecord of misleading the public in regards to definate ill health effects of substances that are unpopular politically until the negative outcry is so massive that they're forced to issue new statements.

And I never said it wasn't harmful, I asked if it had yet been proven to be harmful because people were acting as if the adverse effects were definite. Someone being unable to prove you wrong is no reason to pass laws that make their lives more difficult just because some people don't like what they're doing. Thinking like that is why there's such controversy surrounding gay marriage.

Seriously, you need to watch that episode of Bullshit. They go into quite a bit of detail in regards to the lack of evidence of secondhand smoke's ill effects.

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 06:20 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:07 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Now the CDC know nothing. I laughed.

More obvious lies:
-Secondhand smoke causes nearly 34,000 premature deaths from heart disease each year in the United States among nonsmokers.4
-Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25–30%.1
-Secondhand smoke increases the risk for stroke by 20−30%.4
-Secondhand smoke exposure causes more than 8,000 deaths from stroke annually.4

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 06:20 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:18 PM
darthgoober

Now the CDC know nothing. I laughed.

What's been their stance on marijuanna in the past?

*Just caught the edit*
Where does one go to find out what evidence they reviewed and what their methods of interpretation were? Are they easy to find or hidden away?

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 06:23 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:19 PM
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Originally posted by -Pr-
I like anti-smoking laws, but that's me.

They're are a little too strict.

I'm an occasional smoker, I worry more about the anti-drinking laws though stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:20 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
They're are a little too strict.

I'm an occasional smoker, I worry more about the anti-drinking laws though stick out tongue

Personally, I intentionally blow smoke towards/on non smokers in any area where I'm still allowed to smoke in response to them making me jump through hoops to have a cigarette. Far as I'm concerned... SOMEONE is going to pay laughing

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 06:30 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:28 PM
Trocity
Undefeated and Undisputed

Those stats are a little skewed but good read.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:33 PM
Trocity is currently offline Click here to Send Trocity a Private Message Find more posts by Trocity Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

What do they say about emissions by cars? Just because chemicals are toxic doesn't mean that you'll get cancer by exposure to trace amounts of them. Should cars be outlawed from being around people?
Air pollution causes millions of premature deaths a year, yes, it's illegal to have certain levels of car-related pollution in populated areas, and in major cities like Paris & London, certain polluting vehicles are being restricted, banned and outright outlawed from use. thumb up

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:56 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Air pollution causes millions of premature deaths a year, yes, it's illegal to have certain levels of car-related pollution in populated areas, and in major cities like Paris & London, certain polluting vehicles are being restricted, banned and outright outlawed from use. thumb up

Then they should totally restrict using cars to areas where the fumes won't reach the general public... After all there are children present for God's sake and if you drive in a city/town you're intentionally putting them all at risk. It's not like full flavor cigarettes are the only ones banned, you can't smoke ultra lights either...

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 07:01 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 06:59 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Yeah, hopefully in the near future we'll all be driving electric cars, and smoking will be outlawed. smile

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:04 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Its for asinine reasons you would think The Looney Left would be in support of VAPOR/Electronic Cigs becaue those can cut down on a lot the more "Harmful Chemicals & Crap" in normal cig, but nope. They show their true irrational hypocrite views even in this area.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:04 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Yeah, hopefully in the near future we'll all be driving electric cars, and smoking will be outlawed. smile

Cars should all be outlawed in towns/cities right now and people should just walk or use bikes until electric cars are available to everybody. They put WAY more toxins in the air then cigarettes do. Hell, schools are frequently surrounded by cars with their engines running waiting on kids...

Anyone driving in any area with children around obviously have no regards whatsoever for the lives of children.

Last edited by darthgoober on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 07:11 PM

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:07 PM
Flyattractor

Cars should all be outlawed in towns/cities right now and people should just walk or use bikes until electric cars are available to everybody. They put WAY more toxins in the air then cigarettes do. Hell, schools are frequently surrounded by cars with their engines running waiting on kids...

The Left is doing its best to get as many of those children aborted so they are working on that problem.

eek!

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2017 07:09 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote