KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » RotJ Luke vs Rebels Ahsoka

RotJ Luke vs Rebels Ahsoka
Started by: Kurk

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): « 1 [2] 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
So you're saying if both weren't hindered than they'd still be on even footing? Because they fought on even footing while hindered? That seems like shaky logic but ok. Though I wouldn't really say Luke was hindered as bad if you wanna go with that.

You could argue that sure.
Didn't you use to say and everyone else, that Vader's prime was Rebels? I miss something? [/B]

I used to say that, then I realized I was wrong and stopped saying that.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 05:35 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Rockydonovang
You could argue that sure.

I used to say that, then I realized I was wrong and stopped saying that.

Yeah I just need more to go on.

Why's that?

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 05:37 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

The quote about him being in his prime per rebels is talking about Vader's hatred and given the context of the quote mentions this only changes when Luke redeems him, this would apply to vader with the exception of when Luke is exploiting his conflict to make him good.

Hatred is what makes a Sith Lord powerful. Don't you argue Rebels Maul being in his prime because of this very reason?

Luke by ROTJ bringing out the light side and redeemable qualities in Vader should only make him weaker as a Sith.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 05:39 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Hatred is what makes a Sith Lord powerful. Don't you argue Rebels Maul being in his prime because of this very reason?

No, I argue for Rebels Maul because of a canonical quote that indicates Maul is better when you look at the context and the question of the quote, because Rebels Maul is in the range of a force user whose force feats absolutely curbstomp SOD Maul's, and because Maul has had more than a decade to grow in power, during which he spent most of his time actively doing sh!t like troubling the empire, searching for artifacts, searching for holocrons, and searching for an old rival.

I bring up hatred making force users more powerful as a counter to the claim that Maul's hatred made him weaker as a combatant.
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Luke by ROTJ bringing out the light side and redeemable qualities in Vader should only make him weaker as a Sith.

Well, it does actually in his fight vs Luke, but that wouldn't apply to literally any moment before Luke bringing any light inside of Vader. Which leaves plenty of time post-rebels for Vader to grow.

Additionally I'd argue Vader is at his absolute strongest when he fully embraces the lightside out of love for his son and hence is able to perform his most impressive feat, tanking the lightning, while weakened, of the most powerful sith lord in history. But that's just conjecture smile

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 05:54 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Yeah I just need more to go on.

Why's that?

I was reading Vader comics and read this scan:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-5606443

And I then reexamined the context of this quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_...p;v=mTkd0MKEm2I
I also read some rather convicing arguments from both Zapan and Jasro on cv which had me sold.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 06:02 PM
cs_zoltan

Luke outright admitted Vader would stomp him if Vader was trying to kill him, but then again, ROTJ Vader is>>Rebels Vader.

Too bad several objective quotes and Vader disagrees.

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 06:43 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Too bad several objective quotes and Vader disagrees.

The objective quotes saying Luke fought equally with Vader don't negate the context that allowed it to happen.

Vader is only matched/edged by Luke when Luke is drawing on the darkside:

quote:
"Before Vader could gather his thoughts much further, though, Luke attacked again - much more aggressively. He advanced in a flurry of lunges, each met with a loud crack of Vader's phosphorescent saber. The Dark Lord retreated a step at every slash, swiveling once to bring his cutting beam up viciously - but Luke batted it away, pushing Vader back yet again. The Lord of the Sith momentarily lost his footing on the stairs and tumbled to his knees. Luke stood above him, at the top of the staircase, heady with his own power. It was in his hands, now, he knew it was: he could take Vader. Take his blade, take his life. Take his place at the Emperor's side. Yes, even that. Luke didn't bury the thought, this time; he gloried in it. He engorged himself with its juices, felt its power tingle his cheeks. It made him feverish, this thought, with lust so overpowering as to totally obliterate all other considerations. He had the power; the choice was his. And then another thought emerged, slowly compulsive as an ardent lover: he could destroy the Emperor, too. Destroy them both, and rule the galaxy. Avenge and conquer. It was a profound moment for Luke. Dizzying. Yet he did not swoon. Nor did he recoil. He took one step forward.

I'm also assuming you're referencing the quote from the ROTJ novelization that states Vader tried to kill Luke.

Lets take another look at it:
quote:
"I will not fight you, Father," Luke stated. "You are unwise to lower you're defenses". His anger was layered, now - he did not want to win if the boy was not battling to the fullest. But if winning meant he had to kill a boy who wouldn't fight ... Then he could do that, too. Only he wanted Luke to be aware of those consequences. He wanted Luke to know this was no longer just a game. This was Darkness."

The underlined punctuation shows Vader hesitating to make up his mind that he wanted to kill Luke, which means he wasn't trying to kill Luke when they were fighting. Note: At this point the duel is effectively over disregarding when Luke got enraged.

Furthermore, Vader is lying to himself, hence why Luke throws out this classic:
https://youtu.be/jDs2UGCP2Fk?t=1m23s

Vader was not trying to kill Luke at any point during the fight except maybe when Luke was rage amped.

This all only applies to legends off course.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 07:17 PM

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 07:06 PM
MythLord
Diamond

Luke.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 07:15 PM
Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Vader is only matched/edged by Luke when Luke is drawing on the darkside:

False:

Without a Master, such advancement would have been impossible for most, but Skywalker's unparalleled aptitude makes him a match for Darth Vader in their fateful duel onboard the second Death Star.
--Insider #62: Fightsaber

The fight this time was far more balanced. Vader discovered that Luke was his match, and, once again, the Sith Lord found his thoughts straying to an alliance between them against the Emperor.
--The Official Star Wars Fact File #111

Luke had indeed grown powerful since Bespin, and he was an equal match for his father.
--The Official Star Wars Fact File #111

On the Death Star, Luke and Darth Vader were engaged in a duel that was even more vicious than their battle on Cloud City. Luke had grown stronger since their last encounter, and his skill with his lightsaber had improved greatly. As they swung at each other in the Emperor's throne room, Luke sensed the advantage had shifted to him.
--Return of the Jedi Junior Novelization

The young Jedi has grown in the interim... and if there is any true advantage, it seems to have shifted to him.
--Return of the Jedi comic

Luke and Vader are engaged in a man-to-man duel of lightsabers even more vicious then the battle on Bespin. But the young Jedi has grown stronger in the interim, and now the advantage shifts to him. Vader is forced back, losing his balance, and is knocked down the stairs. Luke stands at the top of the stairs, ready to attack.
--Return of the Jedi script

I'm also assuming you're referencing the quote from the ROTJ novelization that states Vader tried to kill Luke.

No, I'm refering to when Vader quite literally shat his armored pants because of Luke:

For the first time, the thought entered Vader’s consciousness that his son might best him. He was astounded by the strength Luke had acquired since their last duel, in the Cloud City—not to mention the boy’s timing, which was honed to a thought’s-breadth. This was an unexpected circumstance. Unexpected and unwelcome. Vader felt humiliation crawling in on the tail of his first reaction, which was surprise, and his second, which was fear. And then the edge of the humiliation curled up, to reveal bald anger. And now he wanted revenge.
--Return of the Jedi

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 08:01 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

The window is utterly coming blank for some reason, so forgive me for crap formatting.

That said, you seem to have missed my point.

So I'll repeat:
quote:
The objective quotes saying Luke fought equally with Vader don't negate the context that allowed it to happen.

Before his rampage at the end, Luke was suddenly drawing on the darkside in the middle of the fight:
quote:
"Before Vader could gather his thoughts much further, though, Luke attacked again - much more aggressively. He advanced in a flurry of lunges, each met with a loud crack of Vader's phosphorescent saber. The Dark Lord retreated a step at every slash, swiveling once to bring his cutting beam up viciously - but Luke batted it away, pushing Vader back yet again. The Lord of the Sith momentarily lost his footing on the stairs and tumbled to his knees. Luke stood above him, at the top of the staircase, heady with his own power. It was in his hands, now, he knew it was: he could take Vader. Take his blade, take his life. Take his place at the Emperor's side. Yes, even that. Luke didn't bury the thought, this time; he gloried in it. He engorged himself with its juices, felt its power tingle his cheeks. It made him feverish, this thought, with lust so overpowering as to totally obliterate all other considerations. He had the power; the choice was his. And then another thought emerged, slowly compulsive as an ardent lover: he could destroy the Emperor, too. Destroy them both, and rule the galaxy. Avenge and conquer. It was a profound moment for Luke. Dizzying. Yet he did not swoon. Nor did he recoil. He took one step forward.

^^^^ This is what all your quotes are referring to. hence why some of them explicitly mention this part of the scene:

quote:
Luke and Vader are engaged in a man-to-man duel of lightsabers even more vicious then the battle on Bespin. But the young Jedi has grown stronger in the interim, and now the advantage shifts to him. Vader is forced back, losing his balance, and is knocked down the stairs. Luke stands at the top of the stairs, ready to attack.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 08:15 PM

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 08:13 PM
cs_zoltan

^^^^ This is what all your quotes are referring to. hence why some of them explicitly mention this part of the scene:

Hardly, they explicitly state Luke was a match for Vader, no cicumstances needed. And then mid-fight he was even better.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 08:24 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Hardly, they explicitly state Luke was a match for Vader, no cicumstances needed. And then mid-fight he was even better.

The no circumstances needed is stated where exactly?

Just because you have a quote noting an outcome doesn't serve as a basis to disregard how and why such an outcome was achieved.

Otherwise it would be fair game to use Maul and Oppress wielding too much raw power for Kenobi and Ventress despite the context allowing the two to win.

Or to claim that since Vader "killed" Sidious before he died, he equals Sidious.

Luke does end up proving he can match/beat Vader, but only because he was drawing on the dark side and Vader was conflicted.

ROTJ Luke is not equal to Vader in legends, and Luke outright admits as much. Oversimplifying the fight doesn't serve as a solid reason to force a contradiction where there is none.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 08:31 PM
cs_zoltan

The no circumstances needed is stated where exactly?

Where does it state rage amp was needed? It flat out says Luke is a match for Vader. I provided like 7 sources and not one of them mentioned any sort of amp, interesting...You think because he got a rage amp mid fight he wasn't a match for Vader beforehand?

Luke was also said to be a challange for ESB Vader and then he grew significantly more powerful up to RotJ.

Also Luke thinks Ben > Sidious, so I wouldn't take him too seriously.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 08:50 PM
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

Luke outright defeated him, Ahsoka did less well than Obi Wan did.

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 09:36 PM
Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Where does it state rage amp was needed? It flat out says Luke is a match for Vader.

Because we have multiple indications that Vader and Luke are not equals.
We have Luke's own admission:

quote:
So this is how it would have been, if Vader had tried to kill me. Who had Luke been kidding? Teneniel had been right, Luke was no warrior. Ben, Luke thought. I failed you. I’ve failed you all. And suddenly there was a wave of pain, and Luke tried to remember who he’d just been talking to, tried to think of a name, someone he could call for help, but his mind was numb, empty, like the vast deserts of Tatooine lying naked beneath setting suns.

We have Vader's inferior calling Luke sh!t:

quote:
Gethzerion nodded thoughtfully. “Pardon me if I say that I don’t find you to be very impressive, young Jedi. It’s a shame that you must die before you have a chance to witness how I make your friends writhe.”

We have Vader's inferior proving Luke's sh!t:
quote:
She pointed a finger at Luke, and before Luke even recognized her evil intent, a ripple of Force slammed into him. White lights exploded behind his eyes, and the right side of his face felt as if it had been smashed by a hammer. His left arm and right leg crumpled under their unbearable weight, and he dropped to the ground on one knee, stunned. All the noise and blaster fire and screams of pain died away, became a distant roaring. Gethzerion pointed at him again, twitched her finger, and his eyes lost focus. He felt the hammer blow to his left temple, dropped to his sides and rolled over to his back, grasping. Luke stared up at the sky, watching streams of rocks hurtling above him—some propelled by the Force, others hurled by rancors._Time seemed to slow. His head throbbed, pounding to the same rhythm as the beating of his heart. His face had gone cold, numb, and Luke realized distantly that Gethzerion's spell had ripped open blood vessels in his brain, and he was about to die, one among hundreds of fatalities on this battlefield.

Prior to Luke fighting more aggressively, Vader is doing well enough against Luke that he's fcking day dreaming:
quote:
"For the first time, the thought entered Vader's consciousness that his son might best him. He was astounded by the strength Luke had acquired since their last duel, in the Cloud City - not to mention the boy's timing, which was honed to a thought's-breadth. This was an unexpected circumstance. Unexpected and unwelcome. Vader felt humiliation crawling in on the tail of his first reaction, which was surprise, and his second, which was fear. And then the edge of the humiliation curled up, to reveal bald anger. And now he wanted revenge." - Return of the Jedi Novel.

And we later learn Vader's been "tolerating" Luke this entire time:
quote:
This accusation really made Vader angry. He could tolerate much from this insolent child, but this was insufferable. He must teach his boy a lesson he would not forget.

Not to mention that the portion that was underlined was a significant portion of the fight. Hence, if Luke is only matching Vader in quotes you say are referring to the whole of the fight, this would indicate without the portion in question, Luke was losing.
I provided like 7 sources and not one of them mentioned any sort of amp, interesting...You think because he got a rage amp mid fight he wasn't a match for Vader beforehand?
quote:

Uh, bro, more than one of the quotes you're citing explicitly refer to the part of the fight my quote is referring to.

I'll repeat, the script quote refers to the part of the fight where Luke is amped:
quote:
Luke and Vader are engaged in a man-to-man duel of lightsabers even more vicious then the battle on Bespin. But the young Jedi has grown stronger in the interim, and now the advantage shifts to him. Vader is forced back, losing his balance, and is knocked down the stairs. Luke stands at the top of the stairs, ready to attack..
In fact this quotes the advantage shifted to Luke meaning the advantage was originally with Vader.

The novelization quote comes directly after the quoted portion of the fight.

You excluded the comic quote that says Luke >= Vader which again is on the pages that show the part of the fight where Luke is enraged:
quote:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/images/1300-5397085

[QUOTE=16314869]Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Luke was also said to be a challange for ESB Vader and then he grew significantly more powerful up to RotJ.

This proves nothing unless you can prove Luke enough to match Vader without drawing from the darkside.
[QUOTE=16314869]Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Also Luke thinks Ben > Sidious, so I wouldn't take him too seriously.

Are you trying to argue that if one quote from a character is false, that means a totally unrelated and uncontradicted quote is also wrong? confused

You realize that this logic can be used to invalidate quotes by virtually any major character? Kenobi thought himself to be inferior to someone who almost got their heart crushed by an injured Ventress, does this now render Kenobi's admission Anakin was better than him, or the hype he gives Fisto invalid?

Dooku thought that he was greater than Yoda. Does this now mean Dooku recognizing Kenobi and Anakin as the best masters of their forms he's ever met invalid? Does this mean Dooku's assertion that Grevious is >Ventress is pointless?

That someone get's something wrong does not prove they will get everything wrong.

Luke's assertion remains uncontradicted when we consider the context at play and hence is valid for use. Not to mention that the quotes suggests that the holistic intent here is that an unconflicted Vader would demolish Luke.

Regardless this isn't even needed. There's plenty of evidence suggesting that until Luke was drawing on the darkside, he was not fighting Vader as an equal.

In legends, ROTJ Luke is not = Vader

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 09:57 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

^^^^ sorry bout the formatting fck up in the middle, kmc keeps giving me a blank window when I try to edit

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 09:58 PM
Darth Thor

Regardless this isn't even needed. There's plenty of evidence suggesting that until Luke was drawing on the darkside, he was not fighting Vader as an equal.

The movie disagrees on that. When Luke says "I will not fight you Father" and Vader replies "You are unwise to lower your defences", they were still fighting as equals. In fact Luke seemed to be overpowering Vader in their blade lock.

Edit- Of course that's all Sabers only. I have no idea about the lack of TK. If that was because Vader couldn't overpower him in TK, or if it was because Vader was completely holding back in that department.

But against Ashoka, I'd go with the guy who (massively pre-prime) shook a Star Destroyer without even noticing what he did.

Last edited by Darth Thor on Sep 3rd, 2017 at 10:31 PM

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 10:27 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
|King Joker|
Your Excellency

I wouldn't be surprised if Ahsoka was above Luke in Canon, since it seems like the jury is still out regarding Luke's performance against Vader in RotJ, and Luke's standing in general during that time period, frankly. In Legends though, I believe the consensus more lies with Luke actually being equal to Vader, so I'd say Legends Luke would defeat Ahsoka.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 10:43 PM
Click here to Send |King Joker| a Private Message Find more posts by |King Joker| Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Deronn Solo
King Yami

Dude, Zoltan is getting raped by Kbro.

lmao. How the low has fallen even lower. laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 10:52 PM
Click here to Send Deronn Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Deronn Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by |King Joker|
I wouldn't be surprised if Ahsoka was above Luke in Canon, since it seems like the jury is still out regarding Luke's performance against Vader in RotJ, and Luke's standing in general during that time period, frankly. In Legends though, I believe the consensus more lies with Luke actually being equal to Vader, so I'd say Legends Luke would defeat Ahsoka.

I've certainly found Luke's current Canon showings to be really mediocre compared to his Legends showings in the timeframe.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2017 11:49 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote