KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » Black Mirror

Black Mirror
Started by: BackFire

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
emporerpants

The star trek one was the best this season imo.

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 09:22 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
Yeah those are all great episodes. I also really like Shut Up and Dance.

I watched the last episode of the newest season - Black Museum. It was outstanding, might be my favorite of the season. Right up there with those top tier episodes in my book.

Looking forward to Black Museum then. I should get there today or tomorrow. Can't say I share your love of Shut Up and Dance, but it also didn't stick out as a "bad" one to me like Arkangel or the Waldo episode. "Playtest" also irked me. It was a decent horror plot, but was too tied up thinking it was clever when everyone knew the twist(s)....like Inception for dummies.

Crocodile was interesting. I don't know that it made any grand points, but it was unflinching, and the (excellent) cinematography of the austere landscape(s) matched well with the inner realm of the main character. I won't remember it like my other favorites, but it was the sudden rush of a chilly breath of air on a winter morning, so to speak, which I enjoyed.

Last edited by Digi on Jan 8th, 2018 at 11:59 PM

Old Post Jan 8th, 2018 11:55 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I haven't seen any episodes this season except for one: Black Museum. And indeed it is a great episode.. It reminded me of "White Christmas".

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 06:35 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Digi
Looking forward to Black Museum then. I should get there today or tomorrow. Can't say I share your love of Shut Up and Dance, but it also didn't stick out as a "bad" one to me like Arkangel or the Waldo episode. "Playtest" also irked me. It was a decent horror plot, but was too tied up thinking it was clever when everyone knew the twist(s)....like Inception for dummies.

Crocodile was interesting. I don't know that it made any grand points, but it was unflinching, and the (excellent) cinematography of the austere landscape(s) matched well with the inner realm of the main character. I won't remember it like my other favorites, but it was the sudden rush of a chilly breath of air on a winter morning, so to speak, which I enjoyed.

I thought Crocodile was the weakest one of the new season. I also didn't care much for Arkangel. But even those and other episodes that I think are not great, I still usually enjoy them. I don't think I've seen an episode of Black Mirror and thought it was genuinely bad.

Old Post Jan 12th, 2018 11:03 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by BackFire
I thought Crocodile was the weakest one of the new season. I also didn't care much for Arkangel. But even those and other episodes that I think are not great, I still usually enjoy them. I don't think I've seen an episode of Black Mirror and thought it was genuinely bad.

I have. Several, in fact, which is why I was less enthusiastic about the show earlier. The production, acting and writing is usually fine-to-great. But it's when it gets too heavy-handed in its messaging, and expects surprise at the often obvious "aha!" moments in the endings. Predictable is fine when you aren't relying on shock and surprise, or are compelling enough in other ways, but becomes a liability when you are relying on those things for an emotional punch.

I'd put Arkangel in that group. Helicopter parenting is a valid topic to view through their "technology as social commentary" schtick, but I thought it fell emotionally flat. The predictable criticism applies here as well.

Crocodile wasn't a great episode, but I appreciated it more for the minimalism of the cinematography and dialogue. Metalhead was short enough not to inspire vitriol against it. I saw it as more of a "is this type of future inevitable?" fable, which is fine in small doses.

Black Museum was well-made, and super-fans will love the easter eggs that ostensibly tie BM into one universe. I don't consider it in the pantheon, but it was a good ending to a solid season. Penn Jillette - who wrote a story in the 80s that became the first short (about the doctor who experiences pain) - almost played the carnie in the episode, which would have been a riot.

Last edited by Digi on Jan 13th, 2018 at 04:50 PM

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 04:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I found the teddy bear story to be extremely unsettling, probably the most disturbing segment of any Black Mirror episode for me.

Old Post Jan 13th, 2018 08:52 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

I love this show, but season 6 was a complete letdown. I suppose every show will falter if it runs long enough.

Old Post Jul 4th, 2023 12:44 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I've watched a few each season, based on the premise. Enjoy most of the ones I've seen.

The space one in S6 took a rather dark and unexpected turn in the end. Damn.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jul 5th, 2023 09:27 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote