KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 2017 Hurricane Season thread (Updated)

2017 Hurricane Season thread (Updated)
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (21): « First ... « 17 18 [19] 20 21 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthgoober

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
^ I'm sure Limbaugh thoroughly denies that the increasing strength of hurricanes has anything to do with climate change, though. He's one of those morons spreading disinformation and doubt because his constituents demand it.

Wait a sec, I'm confused. Why is it that when people on right point to the weather as proof that climate change isn't a big deal people on the left are quick to point out that climate and weather aren't the same thing so it proves nothing... but then when there's some crazy weather stuff going on they point to it as if it's proof that climate change is a serious concern?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 03:20 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Localized weather and global climate are different animals but connected. In regards to hurricanes, it's possible that a temperature increase can affect hurricanes as hurricanes are formed due to heat/cold exchanges and fluctuations (it's more complex, that's putting it in the simple).

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:12 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Florida was supposed to be completely underwater 10 years ago and there was supposed to be no more snow. I still see land in FL and I still see half the country covered in snow 6 months out of the year.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:15 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Not so sure about that

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:19 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Robtard
Localized weather and global climate are different animals but connected. In regards to hurricanes, it's possible that a temperature increase can affect hurricanes as hurricanes are formed due to heat/cold exchanges and fluctuations (it's more complex, that's putting it in the simple).

So since they're connected, it IS valid for people on the right for people on the right to point to weather stability as proof that climate change isn't really an issue? I mean at least as valid as such arguements to the contrary?

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:19 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by Sable
Florida was supposed to be completely underwater 10 years ago and there was supposed to be no more snow. I still see land in FL and I still see half the country covered in snow 6 months out of the year.

I don't think that they ever said that there'd be NO snow, just that it would be really rare and that it would be gone off the tops of many mountains.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:23 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Not so sure about that

Look it up

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:23 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

absurd pronouncements do not a sound argument make.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:24 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

True. Al Gore should take your advice.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:28 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Look it up

It sounds like some nonsense a climate change denier said and then applied as the argument of the other side

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:31 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by darthgoober
So since they're connected, it IS valid for people on the right for people on the right to point to weather stability as proof that climate change isn't really an issue? I mean at least as valid as such arguements to the contrary?

Disagreed, I also see a massive flaw in making climate change concerns and pollution problems a Right Vs Left thing. The planet does not care about your political leanings.

Look at it this way, you being on the Right or Right-leaning isn't going to stop you from getting sick or dying due to contaminated water and polluted air quality. ie "I'm on the Right!" isn't a shield.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:34 PM
darthgoober

Disagreed, I also see a massive flaw in making climate change concerns and pollution problems a Right Vs Left thing. The planet does not care about your political leanings.

Look at it this way, you being on the Right or Right-leaning isn't going to stop you from getting sick or dying due to contaminated water and polluted air quality. ie "I'm on the Right!" isn't a shield.

You disagree? So it's only valid evidence for 1 side of the argument and should be disregarded if it supports the other side? That line of thinking sounds more than a little biased tbh.

I'm not saying that it SHOULD be a left vs right thing, just acknowledging that such is the case among the most vocal of each side.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:40 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

It sounds like some nonsense a climate change denier said and then applied as the argument of the other side

Dude the climate changes. It's been happening for millions of years

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:40 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

it was nice of jose to not take sloppy seconds on the carribean

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:45 PM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Dude the climate changes. It's been happening for millions of years

Dude, no shit, but it's never happened this rapidly. The data doesn't lie.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 04:58 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

the surface of the earth was once molten, so comparatively we're doing quite well.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 05:03 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by darthgoober
You disagree? So it's only valid evidence for 1 side of the argument and should be disregarded if it supports the other side? That line of thinking sounds more than a little biased tbh.

I'm not saying that it SHOULD be a left vs right thing, just acknowledging that such is the case among the most vocal of each side.

No, I was looking past what you said and disagreeing with your assessment that "all is fine, nothing to see here" type of thinking when it comes to the environment, as we've done this dance before. Sorry, should have been more clear.

Making environmental concerns a Left Vs Right thing is wrong from both sides.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 05:32 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

when superstorm sandy hit, my climate change denying friends changed their tune. it's sad that nature had to bring a top-tier shitshow to their front door in order for them to pay attention, but they did finally. no more FB snark about global warming when there's a snow flurry in april.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 05:35 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

It's going to have to get far, far, far worse before anything really drastic is done. Do wonder what all the climate "it's a liberal lie" talking heads will say then, though they'll likelt be dead or too old to be remembered.

One thing that will remain in history though, is our 45th President saying "climate change is a Chinese hoax".

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 05:40 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

One thing that will remain in history though, is our 45th President saying "climate change is a Chinese hoax".

He is such a f#cking ignoramus. I know it gets said too much, but he has seriously got to be the worst president in our history. I don't think there's ever been anyone so allergic to intellectual knowledge and someone who doesn't even want to try to sound intelligent. He's anti-intellectual. And it's no wonder he appealed to the lowest common denominator.

Old Post Sep 12th, 2017 06:09 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote