KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Schumer and Trump: Born to make a deal

Schumer and Trump: Born to make a deal
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Schumer and Trump: Born to make a deal

Old Post Sep 8th, 2017 11:50 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I do believe that one of the main reasons Trump won is that he sold himself as a deal maker who would work with the other side to get things done for the better of the country.

Until now he hasn't really done that, he's essentially done the opposite of that and just tried to do things exclusively using Republican votes, and it hasn't gone well. Essentially saying "Do everything I want or else". That is not deal making, that is strong arming, and again, it hasn't worked for him.

The fact that the news coverage of this has been so positive and that his poll numbers are beginning to go up a bit will hopefully push him to continue to do this when possible. I think there are many opportunties to work together in a traditional give and take style of deal making, where maybe both sides don't really get everything they want, but they can both get some of it. That's how deal making works. Trump will have to give some concessions to dems, and dems will have to give some concessions to Trump.

It's somewhat ironic that his first real big high profile piece of legislation that he will be signing is one that he brokered with Democrats.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2017 12:15 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well said, I agree with everything except a few points. His biggest legislation so far was the VA Accountability Act with passed overwhelming with Bi partisan Support.

I think we both can agree it didn't get much postive coverage for what a great law it is.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2017 12:57 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Yeah. That's why I have trouble really calling that the biggest piece of legislation. It may have been the most important long term, but as far as attention getting, this one takes the cake.

I was just looking at the vote count. More dems voted for it than repubs. 183 dems, 133 repubs.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2017 01:07 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Makes we wonder if the Dems "resistance" is all talk? Seeing as both are passing with more dem support. Also his FBI director was a bi partisan win, I think he got like 97-0

Old Post Sep 9th, 2017 01:14 AM
SquallX

Here's my two cent.

Whatever candidates that sits in the White House shouldn't matter. All that should take priority is the lives of the Americans they've claimed to serve.

If any party member chooses party before the Americans people just to spite the other side, they are no longer fit to serve, and they should be fired.

So I am happy that Trump is actullay extending an olive branch.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2017 11:47 AM
SquallX is currently offline Click here to Send SquallX a Private Message Find more posts by SquallX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire
I do believe that one of the main reasons Trump won is that he sold himself as a deal maker who would work with the other side to get things done for the better of the country.

Until now he hasn't really done that, he's essentially done the opposite of that and just tried to do things exclusively using Republican votes, and it hasn't gone well. Essentially saying "Do everything I want or else". That is not deal making, that is strong arming, and again, it hasn't worked for him.

The fact that the news coverage of this has been so positive and that his poll numbers are beginning to go up a bit will hopefully push him to continue to do this when possible. I think there are many opportunties to work together in a traditional give and take style of deal making, where maybe both sides don't really get everything they want, but they can both get some of it. That's how deal making works. Trump will have to give some concessions to dems, and dems will have to give some concessions to Trump.

It's somewhat ironic that his first real big high profile piece of legislation that he will be signing is one that he brokered with Democrats.

As someone who voted for Trump I have to say I didn't see him as a deal maker, at least not the kind that would work with the Dems. In what I experienced most who were touting his business skills as a reason to vote for him seemed to think it would be less him working with the Dems and more him just manipulating them via his business prowess.

We have seen that didn't end up happening. Actually to be honest they more seemed to think he'd use those skills to create jobs more so than cutting deals with the Dems.

Old Post Sep 9th, 2017 02:03 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote