KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Twitter founder: Trump election shows social media helping to 'dumb the entire world

Twitter founder: Trump election shows social media helping to 'dumb the entire world
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): « 1 [2]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
You make some excellent points here, and I wonder about the impact Trump had on this increase in hate. Don't get me wrong he has said some messed up stuff, but IMO they played him up almost as the second coming of Hitler. People keep calling him a white supremacist and it is silly. But I wonder if people saw the rhetoric, believed Trump was as hardcore as they are, and took it to mean it was okay to lash out and be more hateful. Because he never said to discriminate against anyone. Even stuff like what he said about illegals gets turned into "he said all mexicans are rapists".

There's a lot to unpack here. What I'll say is that I don't think Trump quite grasps how much his words affect this stuff. He just knows that talking about illegal immigrants gets his base into a frenzy, and he likes the attention. I don't think Trump's a white supremacist, or Hitler-level discriminatory (though, let's be honest, there's some legit racism in there), but I think he's willing to use ambiguous or potentially inflammatory language that will play to his base, some of whom do see that as an endorsement of their own prejudice. The frenzy of hate speech that hit towns, cities, internet etc. right after the election was part of this as well.

So I think Trump is culpable for a lot of this, but not necessarily for the reasons people will point to, many of which you correctly criticize. The Charlottesville response from Trump was a great microcosm of this. No, I don't think he supports Nazis. But you could see him equivocating in his words, knowing that too much of a response in the other direction would be an abandonment to the left. But it became a celebration for the actual Nazis, who ate it up with glee.

He might also just be kinda dumb. For example, according to some White House aids, he apparently didn't fully understand the implications of rescinding DACA, which was the rare Obama-era action that has support on both sides of the aisle and would cost the country billions to get rid of (deportations are expensive af). He may have just seen the words "illegal immigrants" and "Obama" attached to it, and decided it needed to go. Which, again, is enough for some (but not all) elements of his base. But in all likelihood, he's not actually as anti-immigrant as rescinding it would make it seem.

Originally posted by Surtur
Interesting, have you written any books?

No, actually. Pretty much all of my writing has been for various jobs I've had, which have been writing-intensive communications positions; collectively I've written hundreds of articles for magazines, newsletters (both online and in print) and for web use, but it's all fairly specific to those companies or industries. I was also a freelancer for a while to supplement my income, but it was again all business pieces for various companies' websites and such. I don't really write for myself. That may change, eventually. But I'm the rare professional writer who doesn't have an unfinished novel on his hard drive.

Last edited by Digi on Sep 14th, 2017 at 08:09 PM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 08:05 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Digi
FiveThirtyEight is my favorite. They do have some liberal leanings, and balance the long-form stuff with more pandering punditry, so I can't say it's a truly neutral site. But they do two things that I like: one, they lean heavily on data, and scrutinize the data they use. And two, they're willing to admit when they're wrong. So like, they were wrong about the election (like every other pollster and predictor). But they admitted and analyzed their incorrect assumptions afterward and were closer than pretty much anyone bc they didn't simply follow the "it's Clinton's to lose" zeitgeist and they properly hedged by speaking in probabilistic terms. Those who followed the site were thus surprised but not entirely shocked at Trump winning, as they understood that his chances were roughly the same as, say, a 5-point underdog in a football game. Imo, there's no better polling aggregator out there, nor a site better qualified to interpret election results.

It helps that they also cover cultural and sports topics. Good pallet cleansers between political articles, which can be a downer if that's ALL you're reading.

I also enjoy LongReads, though that trends cultural more than political (though both can be found).

Another is Priceonomics, another data-centric site that trends toward economic topics, as the name would suggest. Just interesting stuff. Mostly, I enjoy writing that - if it's going to take a stand on some topic instead of being, say, a human interest or artistic piece - focuses on what we can actually know, and interpreting that information reliably. Long-form isn't the only way that can be done, but it's one of the better ways imo.

Links:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/
https://longreads.com/
https://priceonomics.com/

...it's probably no surprise that I like my videos the same way. So like, I didn't mind John Stewart, but didn't love him either. But John Oliver is amazing to me, because he'll take a whole half hour to dig deep into a topic so that we truly understand it, rather than the 3-4 minutes nearly any other show will give a topic (or 3-4 minutes of analysis followed by 20-30 minutes of opinions about it from people with an agenda). Oliver has an agenda too, sure, but he's putting in the legwork that others won't and highlighting topics that truly matter.

I also enjoy 538, they do some great analysis of polling and I enjoy the chats they do.

I'll take a look at those other sites, too.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 08:21 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by BackFire
I also enjoy 538, they do some great analysis of polling and I enjoy the chats they do.

I'll take a look at those other sites, too.

Before it folded, Grantland was another ESPN-owned site that had some great long-form stuff. They didn't do politics, but were my go-to sports and pop culture site. 538, great as is it with their empirical approach to topics, never quite replaced the quality of writing Grantland had.

I don't remember a favorite article, but here are some others' picks for Grantland's best:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-we-loved-most/
http://www.slate.com/articles/sport..._them_down.html

Oh wait, no, I do remember my favorite article: http://grantland.com/features/diplo...he-alpha-nerds/

Last edited by Digi on Sep 14th, 2017 at 08:54 PM

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 08:45 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

Before it folded, Grantland was another ESPN-owned site that had some great long-form stuff. They didn't do politics, but were my go-to sports and pop culture site. 538, great as is it with their empirical approach to topics, never quite replaced the quality of writing Grantland had.

I don't remember a favorite article, but here are some others' picks for Grantland's best:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...-we-loved-most/
http://www.slate.com/articles/sport..._them_down.html

Oh wait, no, I do remember my favorite article: http://grantland.com/features/diplo...he-alpha-nerds/

I just finished reading the whole article about Diplomacy. That was fascinating. It was a very, very good read.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2017 04:26 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dipcon. laughing

Wonder if they got the double meaning when they made that.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2017 12:15 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by meep-meep
I just finished reading the whole article about Diplomacy. That was fascinating. It was a very, very good read.

I'm an avid board gamer, but have never been into Diplomacy. But damned if I wasn't on the edge of my seat - laughing, feeling nervous, etc. - right along with the author.

Glad you enjoyed it, though! And I agree, it's a superb bit of writing.

Originally posted by cdtm
Dipcon. laughing

Wonder if they got the double meaning when they made that.

Lol, no idea.

Old Post Sep 15th, 2017 12:40 PM
meep-meep
What are you angry about?

I'm an avid board gamer, but have never been into Diplomacy. But damned if I wasn't on the edge of my seat - laughing, feeling nervous, etc. - right along with the author.

Glad you enjoyed it, though! And I agree, it's a superb bit of writing.

Lol, no idea.

I've played axis and allies many times, and have played Diplomacy once. All when I was in high school on weekends when whomever had time.

It felt like I was right there with the author. Great article Digi.

Old Post Sep 16th, 2017 12:43 AM
meep-meep is currently offline Click here to Send meep-meep a Private Message Find more posts by meep-meep Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote