KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Should we bow in fear and run away from this phrase?

Should we bow in fear and run away from this phrase?
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Should we bow in fear and run away from this phrase?

When we hear the phrase "Scientists said so."

What are the all the things scientists said so, so that means is fact? And who are these scientists? Are they above or beyond reproach, what is their record, what are their names, credentials I should bow in fear to when their anonymous names are brought up in conversations.

Who are these scientists that we should all live in fear when we hear their name?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 05:38 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

IMO, you shouldn't go to the doctor ever again. What do they know anyways. Lab test/results? Pfft, probably more fake news.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 05:41 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Im fine with going to the doctor and seeing him face to face. Seeing his or her credentials on the wall. But in a conversation online or in person when I hear "Scientists said so" makes me cringe.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 05:43 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I agree, not all scientists are equal. I'd want to know about their work, etc.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 05:51 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

In the phrase it's rigged to leave our any room for requestioning the unnamed and unknown scientist.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 05:53 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

"Once science has been established, once a scientific truth emerges from a consensus of experiments and observations, it is the way of the world. What I’m saying is, when different experiments give you the same result, it is no longer subject to your opinion. That’s the good thing about science: It’s true whether or not you believe in it. That’s why it works." -Neal deGrasse Tyson

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 05:56 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

That guy is a self absorbed fraud.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:02 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
"Once science has been established, once a scientific truth emerges from a consensus of experiments and observations, it is the way of the world. What I’m saying is, when different experiments give you the same result, it is no longer subject to your opinion. That’s the good thing about science: It’s true whether or not you believe in it. That’s why it works." -Neal deGrasse Tyson

Why did you post this?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:18 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by Sable

What are the all the things scientists said so, so that means is fact? And who are these scientists? Are they above or beyond reproach, what is their record, what are their names, credentials I should bow in fear to when their anonymous names are brought up in conversations.

Who are these scientists that we should all live in fear when we hear their name?

Lol.

Because its not about science nor their credentials. Its about challenging fundamental beliefs that shake a persons core values.

People appreciate smart phone technology, we like the science of how are cable works (no-one is hassling the IT guy about what school he went to), every piece of equipment from calculators to microwave ovens involve science.

But when a scientist(s) tells you something that goes againt family, God and country beliefs (essentially my family didnt raise me to believe that, my religion doesnt teach that, my politial party is against that) we discredit anything counter-intuitive.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:20 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Sin I AM
Lol.

Because its not about science nor their credentials. Its about challenging fundamental beliefs that shake a persons core values.

People appreciate smart phone technology, we like the science of how are cable works (no-one is hassling the IT guy about what school he went to), every piece of equipment from calculators to microwave ovens involve science.

But when a scientist(s) tells you something that goes againt family, God and country beliefs (essentially my family didnt raise me to believe that, my religion doesnt teach that, my politial party is against that) we discredit anything counter-intuitive.

^

Bin.....GO!

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:21 PM
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Climate change isn't about God or Religion though. It's bout wether it's an made or part of lifem. The climate has been changing for billioss of years.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:32 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So just to be crystal clear here: we are saying it is wrong to ask to see credentials? I just want that made plainly clear if that is the case lol.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:35 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

What a title. laughing out loud

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:35 PM
Beniboybling is currently offline Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm

Re: Should we bow in fear and run away from this phrase?

Scientists are beyond reproach if they toe the line.

If they challenge the orthodoxy, they get marginalized.

See: Noam Chomsky. The neo-liberal left (The ones who control the corporations that own network news) distances themselves from him as much as the right does.

Professors also only cite his views with heavy reservations..

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:36 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Climate change isn't about God or Religion though. It's bout wether it's an made or part of lifem. The climate has been changing for billioss of years.

Based on what...? Science perhaps?

Im fine with going to the doctor and seeing him face to face. Seeing his or her credentials on the wall. But in a conversation online or in person when I hear "Scientists said so" makes me cringe.

You bring up a good point.

I assume youve read articles on parents who refuse to allow children to receive one form of medical treatment or another. Its never about the doctors merits, his medical science, scientific equipment (x-rays, cat scans) etc....its because their God does not allow it. Youre challenging peoples faith...so they rather allow death than live with the thought that they were misguided or simply wrong.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:45 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by Surtur
So just to be crystal clear here: we are saying it is wrong to ask to see credentials? I just want that made plainly clear if that is the case lol.

How do you, John Doe from Podunk Iowa, accurately judge a scientists "credentials"?

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:50 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Sin I AM
How do you, John Doe from Podunk Iowa, accurately judge a scientists "credentials"?

Where he went to school and what he has possibly done in the past, not a whole lot would be needed I don't want the entire life story of this person. You act like to ask is to immediately say the person is lying.

The bigger the scientific claim? The more I want to know about the scientists.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:51 PM
cdtm

Sin, the medical community have also perscribed things that were later found to do much more harm then good.

It's a double edged sword, and skepticism is definately warrented based on history.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:51 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cdtm
Sin, the medical community have also perscribed things that were later found to do much more harm then good.

It's a double edged sword, and skepticism is definately warrented based on history.

I experienced that, being given meds that were not good for you. Also I would bring up how people sometimes get second opinions if given a major diagnosis(like something life threatening)

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 06:53 PM
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by Surtur
Where he went to school and what he has possibly done in the past, not a whole lot would be needed I don't want the entire life story of this person. You act like to ask is to immediately say the person is lying.

The bigger the scientific claim? The more I want to know about the scientists.

You are deflecting a tad. How should i phrase this....ok. So by knowing his school that proves what exactly? And what do you mean by his past? Be specific. If you were my patient and walked into my office and wanted to evaluate my abilities provide me with a step-by-step breakdown of how youd do that?

Originally posted by cdtm

Nowhere did i state to blindly follow. Doing your own research is fine. The nature of science is trial and error.

HOWEVER, hand-waving away a theory without first-hand knowledge is silly.

Old Post Sep 14th, 2017 07:02 PM