KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is Hillary Clinton a Sore Loser?

Is Hillary Clinton a Sore Loser?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
Yes 11 84.62%
Yes 2 15.38%
Total: 13 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Is Hillary Clinton a Sore Loser?
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Digi
Forum Leader

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Silent Master
Most of the media was on her side, so if sexism played a role it was to her advantage.


In the electorate, is the more pertinent question. What you think about her media portrayal is largely going to be influenced by the outlets you follow.

And one might argue that even the response to her book would be more muted if it were from a man. Ignoring this as a factor is, imo, willful ignorance of certain unfortunate truths about our society.


__________________

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 02:46 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

Being able to argue something doesn't make it true, I mean one could make an argument that the reason she did as well as she did was because she was a woman.

Hillary's word isn't enough for me. if she wants me to believe something she needs to provide facts and not just speculation.


__________________
posted by Badabing
I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 03:14 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Gender: Female
Location: Destroying Evidence

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Silent Master
Being able to argue something doesn't make it true, I mean one could make an argument that the reason she did as well as she did was because she was a woman.

Hillary's word isn't enough for me. if she wants me to believe something she needs to provide facts and not just speculation.


Her word was enough for millions of people, it didn't matter how much she lied.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 03:17 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
shiv
Spirit of Tengu

Gender: Male
Location: Tokyo City

When a woman votes for a man is it sexist

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 03:53 AM
shiv is currently offline Click here to Send shiv a Private Message Find more posts by shiv Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Stopping terrorism/WW3 in 12 hours

Pied piper candidate. That is all that needs to be said


__________________

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:41 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Chicago

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
But I guess my point is, even if she does present it in a way that doesn't own up to her own failures, isn't it a valuable endeavor to, for example, examine whether or not sexism played a part in her media coverage and/or loss?


No lol, I don't think it is valid when things are misrepresented. The role of sexism wasn't significant. Pretending it was just undermines any sexism that does occur here. It helps nobody and gives no real insight.

quote:
Because, frankly, it probably did play a role. Or media coverage in general, regardless of gender? Or various other factors. I think it does have merit. Maybe the book is an imperfect vehicle to spark that discussion, but it's a vehicle nonetheless.


It has merit depending on how you come at it. When you delude yourself into thinking these things cost you the election as opposed to merely that they didn't help? The merit goes bye bye.

quote:
Basically, "she's a whiny *****" seems like a worse response to me than trying to push past the double standards to mine her story for actual nuggets of societal wisdom.


If she doesn't want to be said to be whining the key would be not to whine. This book could have been written in a way where she didn't blame everyone and everything.. She chose not to, and why? It's not because she cares. She is desperate because she knows at this point her legacy will mainly be that she lost to Donald Trump. So she desperately wants to spin this in any way possible to make it seem like that is not the case. Russia did it, Comey did it. Sexism did it. The man in the moon did it.


__________________
But we all got a Chicken-Duck-Woman thing waiting for us.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 20th, 2017 at 12:22 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 12:19 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Space

Is Sable spamming this forum with the same uninteresting crap over and over again?

Poll:

Yes
or
Yes


__________________

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 12:36 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Silent Master
Being able to argue something doesn't make it true, I mean one could make an argument that the reason she did as well as she did was because she was a woman.


You could?! Pray, tell. Any polling I saw about the role of gender on the election had it as an unequivocal negative for her.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
No lol, I don't think it is valid when things are misrepresented. The role of sexism wasn't significant. Pretending it was just undermines any sexism that does occur here. It helps nobody and gives no real insight.


Ok, so here's where we disagree. A non-trivial portion of the electorate was reticent - if not outright against - voting for a woman for the nation's highest office. There's also data to suggest that we hold men and women to a different standard when it comes to things like public displays of anger, which plays into things like the debate and even post-mortem book tours.

The polling we had immediately surrounding the Comey stuff is also targeted to a degree where we can be fairly certain that it had a significant affect on voters. Sexism might be harder to test for empirically (though not impossible), but the Comey stuff was very, very obvious as a major influencing factor. There's a reasonable argument to be made that if he waits a couple more weeks to go public, we have a different President right now.

So we disagree on this. I think these things did have an affect. Potentially a profound one, especially given how close the election was.


__________________

Last edited by Digi on Sep 20th, 2017 at 04:18 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:16 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

Here's a good summation of my Comey point above:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...n-the-election/

And here's a decent aggregate of information on the gender issue:
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...esident/497564/
...the polling breakdowns between men and women bear some of this out, imo, though it's admittedly hard to identify precise reasons for demographic differences.


__________________

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:26 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Gender: Female
Location: Destroying Evidence

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Is Sable spamming this forum with the same uninteresting crap over and over again?

Poll:

Yes
or
Yes


If its uninteresting crap why do you come here to post in uninteresting threads?

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:33 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Foxsteak
Restricted

Gender: Unspecified
Location: UK

Account Restricted

Yay im not the only one who picked yes


__________________

InfoBoards: 1 millionth post game regains popularity! . Stockholm syndrome has spread throughout KMC . Surtur reports a "change" in the forum . Super Noodles Vitality only 1.00 . AAAARGH!

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:40 PM
Foxsteak is currently offline Click here to Send Foxsteak a Private Message Find more posts by Foxsteak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location: United States

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
You could?! Pray, tell. Any polling I saw about the role of gender on the election had it as an unequivocal negative for her.


A lot of polls also had Hillary winning, we saw how that turned out.


__________________
posted by Badabing
I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:49 PM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Chicago

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Ok, so here's where we disagree. A non-trivial portion of the electorate was reticent - if not outright against - voting for a woman for the nation's highest office. There's also data to suggest that we hold men and women to a different standard when it comes to things like public displays of anger, which plays into things like the debate and even post-mortem book tours.

The polling we had immediately surrounding the Comey stuff is also targeted to a degree where we can be fairly certain that it had a significant affect on voters. Sexism might be harder to test for empirically (though not impossible), but the Comey stuff was very, very obvious as a major influencing factor. There's a reasonable argument to be made that if he waits a couple more weeks to go public, we have a different President right now.

So we disagree on this. I think these things did have an affect. Potentially a profound one, especially given how close the election was.


And the polling also said Trump would lose and he didn't, so I take it with a grain of salt. It ultimately came down to just Hilary.


__________________
But we all got a Chicken-Duck-Woman thing waiting for us.

Last edited by Surtur on Sep 20th, 2017 at 04:56 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:53 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
I mean, maybe, but what good is he answer to the title's question? Ostensibly, in her book she talks about varying factors that led to her loss. Sure, maybe it's sour grapes, but analysis of the past - especially when the consensus opinion was wrong - is a noble endeavor, and she had a front-row seat.

From some of what I've heard - at least the only sources I can find not just trying to tell her to shut up for whatever reason - there's some genuine substance beneath the parts that are upsetting people. Past the "Hilary blames Bernie!" clickbait titles, and many similar clickbait titles, is an actual list of factors that, in some capacity, did lose her a winnable election, and likely some nuance to arguments like "Hillary blames Bernie!" that actually have merit and aren't just the ramblings of an also-ran.

As a rule, I'm not a fan of politicians and how they try to spin their own stories. But that doesn't mean their viewpoint should be ignored. And there's clearly an audience for her message - if only to feel smugly condescending toward it (which, let's be honest, sells as well as anything). So... /srug
I believe she lost because she's just fundamentally unlovable. I wonder if that's in her book.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:55 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Senior Member

Gender: Male
Location: Chicago

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I believe she lost because she's just fundamentally unlovable. I wonder if that's in her book.



And perhaps she got a little cocky due to the...polls lol. We treat them as gospel, but they aren't.


__________________
But we all got a Chicken-Duck-Woman thing waiting for us.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 04:58 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Gender: Female
Location: Destroying Evidence

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Afro Cheese
I believe she lost because she's just fundamentally unlovable. I wonder if that's in her book.



Whats odd is many can't, won't or refuse to admit that.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 05:04 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
And the polling also said Trump would lose and he didn't, so I take it with a grain of salt. It ultimately came down to just Hilary.


Again, I disagree. That Comey article I linked, for instance, I think makes a pretty strong case that you're wrong. And that's just one factor.

Also, "lol the polls were wrong" is too generalized. Did you know Hillary actually beat her polls in several states? There's a wealth of information in polling - and frankly decades of evidence for the sexism thing if I really can't convince you on the election specifically - but we turn polls into a binary thing. It's inherently probabilistic. So, like, a candidate with a 60% chance to win, we'd expect to lose 40% of the time. And if they don't win ~40% of the time, something is wrong with the polling model. It's like a football spread. But that's not how they're treated.

Polls also favored Hillary, but most looked at them nationally (where, let's remember, she did win the popular vote; polling was actually very accurate in that sense), rather than breaking them down by state and region, where the results are far less surprising. Some of those were off as well, but it was much closer to margin of error, or well within it. So the process - and the results we can glean - aren't invalid when properly understood.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Sable
If its uninteresting crap why do you come here to post in uninteresting threads?


To elevate the discussion, maybe, by criticizing your methods? Be real: some of your threads are sh*t, the KMC answer to clickbait trivia masquerading as real news.

/srug


__________________

Last edited by Digi on Sep 20th, 2017 at 05:11 PM

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 05:05 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Gender: Female
Location: Destroying Evidence

Account Restricted

Anyone who can listen to more than two words out of her mouth deserves an award.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 05:07 PM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

It's not that odd. And watch the damn SNL video. That was the punchline to my post.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 05:08 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Afro Cheese
Senior Member

Gender: Unspecified
Location:

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
Again, I disagree. That Comey article I linked, for instance, I think makes a pretty strong case that you're wrong. And that's just one factor.

Also, "lol the polls were wrong" is too generalized. Did you know Hillary actually beat her polls in several states? There's a wealth of information in polling - and frankly decades of evidence for the sexism thing if I really can't convince you on the election specifically - but we turn polls into a binary thing. It's inherently probabilistic. So, like, a candidate with a 60% chance to win, we'd expect to lose 40% of the time. And if they don't win ~40% of the time, something is wrong with the polling model. It's like a football spread. But that's not how they're treated.

Polls also favored Hillary, but most looked at them nationally (where, let's remember, she did win the popular vote; polling was actually very accurate in that sense), rather than breaking them down by state and region, where the results are far less surprising. Some of those were off as well, but it was much closer to margin of error, or well within it. So the process - and the results we can glean - aren't invalid when properly understood.
I agree with you about polls. I don't know what you're referencing with the sexism thing though.

I feel like the people who would vote against a president cause she's a woman are probably already going to vote Republican. So sexism really seems irrelevant to me. I think she straddles herself to the female gender so that a loss for Hillary is a loss for women because people don't really like Hillary but they do like women. I also think that being a woman is part of what got her the nomination in the first place. So rather than see all of this as signs of progress, because she didn't win it's obviously just sexism. I feel like that is just refusing to accept failure, and it's frankly pathetic.

Old Post Sep 20th, 2017 05:15 PM
Afro Cheese is currently offline Click here to Send Afro Cheese a Private Message Find more posts by Afro Cheese Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 08:30 AM.
Pages (4): « 1 [2] 3 4 »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Is Hillary Clinton a Sore Loser?

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.