KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Movie Versus Forum » The Mountain, The Hound and Jaime vs. Wolverine

The Mountain, The Hound and Jaime vs. Wolverine
Started by: Stigma

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FrothByte
I haven't watched these but just want to make a few notes:

1. Is Wolverine blocking any hits on those scenes? Because he won't be able to block hits in this fight if he doesn't want his limbs or claws cut off. And being able to block hits is a big factor in being able to dodge others. Removing the ability to block something severely hampers your ability to dodge others.

2. Are these feats against fodder? Because the 3 knights in this fight are not fodder, and even the characters with the worst fight choreographies in Hollywood still easily steamroll through fodder *cough*baleman*cough. Not exactly a strong argument if you're using fodder. Give me a fight against a properly skilled opponent where Wolverine was ducking and dodging without getting hit and with minimal blocking of his claws.

3. I still don't see any convincing argument for how Wolverine's claws can do significant damage to armored opponents while at the same time completely avoiding any significant hit.

1. He dodged some, he blocked some. He rolled under some. He deflected some. Few times he stepped into the swing and blocked the arm (so he can deliver a counter), not the sword.

That line of logic is irrelevant, tho. It shows that he can (and would) dodge/block/deflect/defend when needed. Far faster attacks from multiple angles. Level of difficulty becomes the point. Slow long swords you can see coming <<< fast short swords from multiple angles. One is simply far more difficult to defend against than the other.

2. Fodder is irrelevant. "Feats"/showings > role. They at the very least shown to be fast opponents, they are portrayed to be skilled. That is what matters. We don't suddenly think Tyrion is gonna be taking out Ultron bots just because they are fodder.

3. I already posted it above. Let me repost:

Originally posted by Nibedicus
His superior speed and mobility gives him the initiative and the ability to dictate the pace of the fight. It also allows him to keep his distance so he can either heal up when he takes some damage or to rethink his strategy.

There are many options open to him. From taking them down and doing a mount + stab to letting them swing and miss (or at least not hit him directly enough that he can still heal thru) while keeping them off balance via kicks and body shoves until they exhaust themselves.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:08 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Dude, it's simple. If you think Wolverine is skilled enough to duck and dodge around every attack, then post a feat of him doing so. Yeah, GOT fighters are slow, but there are 3 of them attacking at the same time.

I thought I just posted it?

Wolverine fighting off multiple fast and skilled opponents from multiple angles armed with swords.

You are setting an impossibly high standard for proof here. I mean if you want us to post him fighting armored NAMED opponents that use longswords that fight like the GoT characters, it's just not gonna happen.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:11 PM
Nibedicus is currently offline Click here to Send Nibedicus a Private Message Find more posts by Nibedicus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by KingD19
Josh, you're still under the assumption Logan will get hit.

Mountain for one is horrendously slow. Much slower than even Blob. Hound's not much faster. And Jaime is the fastest, but still a turtle compared to anyone Logan has fought. And with no Adamantium, he'll know to dodge. And it won't be hard if you compare fight scenes.

Time stamp the hits then pls.

Only time he got hit by a sword in the above video was by the lead ninja (stab and a slash to the face) at the beginning of the video.

He got hit by 2 bikes and a net as far as I see.

You mean one SOLID hit from a slow-ass knight sword (when he couldn't get hit by fast moving ninja blades from multiple angles)?

First of all there is an ENORMOUS Flaw in your statement.

One FrothBite already pointed out nevertheless i still have to reply so here i go.

Wolverine was blocking the katanas with his ADAMANTIUM CLAWS!

In this fight he has BONE CLAWS, meaning he wont be able to block anything. If he does, his claws get BROKEN.

Again Wolverine loses this one, he is going agaisnt three, and his claws arent reliable for the job.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:17 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KingD19
Shai-Gen's Enigmatic Wong

Post the knights fighting a super strong and highly agile mutant with claws, healing powers and several decades of combat experience(he was in every American War up to WW2).

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:18 PM
KingD19 is currently offline Click here to Send KingD19 a Private Message Find more posts by KingD19 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

Originally posted by KingD19
Post the knights fighting a super strong and highly agile mutant with claws, healing powers and several decades of combat experience(he was in every American War up to WW2).

Bone breaks to metal. Period.

He is going against three! He will get several bone fractures due to the swords! Regeneration takes longer for bone! Much longer.

Wolverine has been knocked too!

His Adamantium is what makes Wolverine so terrible, in this case he loses one of his most fearsome abilities.

He loses here.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:23 PM
Josh_Alexander is currently offline Click here to Send Josh_Alexander a Private Message Find more posts by Josh_Alexander Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
First of all there is an ENORMOUS Flaw in your statement.

One FrothBite already pointed out nevertheless i still have to reply so here i go.

Wolverine was blocking the katanas with his ADAMANTIUM CLAWS!

In this fight he has BONE CLAWS, meaning he wont be able to block anything. If he does, his claws get BROKEN.

Again Wolverine loses this one, he is going agaisnt three, and his claws arent reliable for the job.

Sooo, no timestamps of him getting hit "several" times (other than the ones I posted?) like you claimed? Hm.

It establishes that Wolverine is not just a brawler, that he can defend when needed and has defensive moves that he can use against less skilled opponents.

It also shows that he has a level of super strength along with his speed, skills and regen.

He can dodge backwards away from a swing or roll under (he was shown capable of this in the video above) and he can always (like he did a few times in the video I linked) step into the swing and catch the farrrr slower GoT sword arm to deliver a counter (stab under the neck, possibly). He can also do place the unfortunate enemy between him and his other opponents, using him as a human shield (shown capable and willing to do so in the previous video I posted in one of my above replies) after a throat stab.

Edit. Wolverine also was shown to have a penchant for ducking under a swing and then attacking his opponent's legs/heel to throw them into the ground (He did so against at least 3 opponents in the early part of the movie). I can also see this happening against the GoT opponents.

Last edited by Nibedicus on Sep 21st, 2017 at 06:36 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:23 PM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Ok, looking at the King's guard plate armor:

(please log in to view the image)

It looks like the chest is fully plate but the arms and legs don't seem to be. I don't even see chainmail there. Which he kinda did to a few of his opponents in the Wolverine.

What's to stop Wolverine from stabbing them in the arms or legs?

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 06:40 PM
FrothByte
Nailcutter Massacre

1. He dodged some, he blocked some. He rolled under some. He deflected some. Few times he stepped into the swing and blocked the arm (so he can deliver a counter), not the sword.

That line of logic is irrelevant, tho. It shows that he can (and would) dodge/block/deflect/defend when needed. Far faster attacks from multiple angles. Level of difficulty becomes the point. Slow long swords you can see coming <<< fast short swords from multiple angles. One is simply far more difficult to defend against than the other.

2. Fodder is irrelevant. "Feats"/showings > role. They at the very least shown to be fast opponents, they are portrayed to be skilled. That is what matters. We don't suddenly think Tyrion is gonna be taking out Ultron bots just because they are fodder.

3. I already posted it above. Let me repost:

So in short, the only proof you have are vids of Wolverine dodging some hits, blocking some hits, then tanking the others. Right?

Let me repeat something to you that I've been saying from the start: He tries to block hits here, he'll get his claws or arms cut off.

If you want to claim that Wolverine can completely duck and dodge all hits thrown his way then that's the kind of feat that you need to provide. Not some vid where he dodges some and then blocks and tanks the rest. Does this seem like an impossible request? Of course it is. You know why? Because Wolverine just does not fight like that. He has never needed to do so due to his healing powers which means he would have never needed to develop the necessary speed and skill do so.

What you are saying is that Wolverine will be able, without any prior training or feat or experience, to automatically develop a new fighting style with a new set of skills. Basically what you're asking is for Wolverine to fight like a completely different person.

Have you ever tried sparring with swords? Because I have. And for some reason you keep neglecting the reach the longswords will give the knights. A slow-ish longsword with a long reach is far harder to deal with than a fast short sword. A knife is ridiculously fast. Do you think a knife fighter has the advantage against someone with a longsword just because it's faster?

Wolverine will need to close the distance against 3 knights with longer weapons, manage to hit weak spots in their armor strong enough to incapacitate them, and do all that without taking a serious hit. Wolverine maybe faster than them individually but he just isn't that fast nor is he that skilled.

Last edited by FrothByte on Sep 21st, 2017 at 08:10 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 08:05 PM
FrothByte is currently offline Click here to Send FrothByte a Private Message Find more posts by FrothByte Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raptor22

Have any of the GoT guys actually ever lopped a limb or head off? I'm talking mid combat, not like Ned beheading someone he sentenced to death, or Jamie getting held down and getting his hand chopped off.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 08:25 PM
Raptor22 is currently offline Click here to Send Raptor22 a Private Message Find more posts by Raptor22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

1. So in short, the only proof you have are vids of Wolverine dodging some hits, blocking some hits, then tanking the others. Right?

Let me repeat something to you that I've been saying from the start: He tries to block hits here, he'll get his claws or arms cut off.

2. If you want to claim that Wolverine can completely duck and dodge all hits thrown his way then that's the kind of feat that you need to provide. Not some vid where he dodges some and then blocks and tanks the rest. Does this seem like an impossible request? Of course it is. You know why? Because Wolverine just does not fight like that. He has never needed to do so due to his healing powers which means he would have never needed to develop the necessary speed and skill do so.

3. What you are saying is that Wolverine will be able, without any prior training or feat or experience, to automatically develop a new fighting style with a new set of skills. Basically what you're asking is for Wolverine to fight like a completely different person.

4. Have you ever tried sparring with swords? Because I have. And for some reason you keep neglecting the reach the longswords will give the knights. A slow-ish longsword with a long reach is far harder to deal with than a fast short sword. A knife is ridiculously fast. Do you think a knife fighter has the advantage against someone with a longsword just because it's faster?

Wolverine will need to close the distance against 3 knights with longer weapons, manage to hit weak spots in their armor strong enough to incapacitate them, and do all that without taking a serious hit.

5. Wolverine maybe faster than them individually but he just isn't that fast nor is he that skilled.

1. He dodges attacks that are shown to be far faster than GoT swords attacks. That's all I need. He doesn't need to block slow ass sword strikes as he can simply either dodge the attack, duck under them to attack the legs or catch the arm on the downswing (w/c he's done on screen). All of which he has already been shown to do vs sword users. What else do I need?

He doesn't need to be shown to do it all the time. He just needs to be able to do it. You don't have to accept it, but the evidence is there.

2. The video I showed had him tanking zero sword hits from anyone other than the lead ninja. He defended against every sword attack thrown his way from the rest. It shows that he can fight defensively when needed.

He blocked the attacks because he can. Doesn't mean he can't dodge them if he can't block. Especially when he's shown to be able to do so on other occasions. What is so hard to understand here?

Again, he's done all this successfully against faster attacks.

3. What new fighting style? Being able to dodge/duck against sword attacks? He's done that. Attack vulnerable legs/arms? Done that, too. Topple his opponents? Done that as well.

So what new fighting style are you talking about here?

4. I've trained in Arnis (you know it more as Kali around the US) for 2 years, so I've held and sparred with and against weapons, yes. What's your point?

Reach is a huge advantage, sure. But it's not as if it can't be circumvented. And it's not as if we haven't seen Wolverine circumvent it (without resorting to blocking). It's on screen, thus he can do it. He's done it from guns to swords to long daggers. Again, on screen, thus he can do it.

And why are you thinking he can't parry/block sword strikes at all? Leveraged, powerful slashes would no doubt cut his claws, sure. But he can dodge, duck or roll away from those. But short/weaker thrusts or slashes can be deflected by his claws (it'll maybe chip the claws, sure but he has 3 per hand and they grow back).

And daggers vs longsword isn't as clear cut as you think:

https://youtu.be/CFqXkYdAFXs

or this:

https://youtu.be/QvZQR_qIGvg

Those dual daggers would work like Wolverine's dual bone claws.

And he doesn't need to incapacitate them in one hit. He can wound them and simply let them bleed out. I mean a simple thigh or bicep stab is enough to end the fight for any of them (King's Guard armor have pretty open leg/bicep protection) as they would practically be ineffective at that point. While they would need a full on direct center mass hit or decap to stop Wolverine. Any other blow would be meaningless as he'd just need to step back to heal. I mean you've fought with a sword before, how hard is it to land a direct clean full leverage center mass hit when your opponent is so much faster than you?

This comes down to this: Will someone who is faster, possibly stronger and clearly more skillful opponent with shorter weapons who only needs to do (minor damage to eventually win) beat 3 slower, less skilled opponents who would need to score a direct clean hit to win?

And it's not as if the armor makes them immune to attack, as per the pic I posted, it doesn't look like their arms and legs are armored. As per the vids I showed, Wolverine attacking the legs is actually kinda common throughout the movie.

5. I really, really disagree here. Altho, our perception of his skill level is subjective. Wolverine has shown too many instances of how skilled and agile he is and I've already posted video evidence. Up to you if you ignore them.

I mean look at how slow and lumbering this is:

https://youtu.be/tDjq-i0jFDw

0:15-0:39

You seriously think either of them would score a direct hit on Wolverine?

Last edited by Nibedicus on Sep 21st, 2017 at 09:24 PM

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 09:10 PM
omgchos
The Man From Ireland

Originally posted by Raptor22
Have any of the GoT guys actually ever lopped a limb or head off? I'm talking mid combat, not like Ned beheading someone he sentenced to death, or Jamie getting held down and getting his hand chopped off.

Gregor took most of a horses head off. But by and large the show didnt how many actual in the moment dismemberment that i can think of. Save Jaime getting his hand taken off, which again wasnt in combat.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 09:13 PM
omgchos is currently offline Click here to Send omgchos a Private Message Find more posts by omgchos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

Originally posted by omgchos
Gregor took most of a horses head off. But by and large the show didnt how many actual in the moment dismemberment that i can think of. Save Jaime getting his hand taken off, which again wasnt in combat.

The Hound cut someone in half at the Battle of Black Water. But it was a full on power downward slash while his opponent just stood there and looked at him, hands down. Which took almost 2 seconds to do.

(0:35-0:37)

I mean look at that, one would def see that coming.

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 09:29 PM
Darkstorm Zero
Master of all Decepticons

"I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds..."

Old Post Sep 21st, 2017 10:39 PM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
omgchos
The Man From Ireland

The Hound cut someone in half at the Battle of Black Water. But it was a full on power downward slash while his opponent just stood there and looked at him, hands down. Which took almost 2 seconds to do.

(0:35-0:37)

I mean look at that, one would def see that coming.

Cant blame sandor for bad editing, lol.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 12:43 AM
omgchos is currently offline Click here to Send omgchos a Private Message Find more posts by omgchos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Josh_Alexander
Keeper of Cosmic Balance

As much as i like Wolverine supporting him here would be following fanatism

So, here are my reasons as to why Wolverine Loses this match:

*Wolverine's advantages:
-Regeneration
-Speed

*Wolverine's Disadvantages:
-He is OUTNUMBERED
-His skeleton is fragile
-His claws are not reliable
-His enemies are well armored
-His enemies have decent combat skills.

I am a fan of Wolverine, but he loses this one! One swing from Ser Gregor's sword and those claws along with his head will split OPEN!

He is outnumbered, and he has NO ADAMANTIUM.

Team wins this.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 01:05 AM
Nibedicus
Gaming addict

See parenthesis for reply.

Originally posted by Josh_Alexander
As much as i like Wolverine supporting him here would be following fanatism

So, here are my reasons as to why Wolverine Loses this match:

*Wolverine's advantages:
-Regeneration
-Speed

*Wolverine's Disadvantages:
-He is OUTNUMBERED (irrelevant, he's fought against more opponents before)
-His skeleton is fragile (it's not fragile, lol. he can pierce clean thru a person's shoulder with those claws and he managed to get squashed by 1k lbs logs and get thrown into a moving loaded truck without any signs of broken bones, pre-adamantium)
-His claws are not reliable (see above)
-His enemies are well armored (not in the arms and legs)
-His enemies have decent combat skills. (not compared to X-Men universe characters. And according to Froth, GoT swordsmanship is even slower than RL swordsmanship).

I am a fan of Wolverine, but he loses this one! One swing from Ser Gregor's sword and those claws along with his head will split OPEN! (Nope. They have to hit him first. Meaning he gotta stand still for their slow-ass sword swings.)

He is outnumbered, and he has NO ADAMANTIUM. (True, but the quality of his opponents in this fight are nowhere near the level of opponent he's faced before).

Team wins this. (I am not convinced)

Anyway, waiting on Froth's reply. Keeping my mind open, but so far nothing has convinced me that the team wins.

Last edited by Nibedicus on Sep 22nd, 2017 at 03:23 PM

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 03:19 PM
Darkstorm Zero

Gimme a sec, Image bombs incoming...

The mountain: (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 03:41 PM
Darkstorm Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Darkstorm Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Darkstorm Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darkstorm Zero

The Hound: (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 03:42 PM
Darkstorm Zero

The Kingslayer: (please log in to view the image)

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 03:42 PM
Darkstorm Zero

The Wolverine: (please log in to view the image)
[img]

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 03:43 PM