KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Or these planet feats

Or these planet feats
Started by: TethAdamTheRock

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
CosmicComet

Jbl teaches art. They eat the paint chips.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 04:30 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JBL
Wrestling God

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Is that the only reason why you think it's less impressive? Serious q, btw.
nope. It's the reason you and your other superman fans want it to be number one at all costs. By the way, your numbers and calculations were wrong. But we know where you got it from.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 04:51 PM
JBL is currently offline Click here to Send JBL a Private Message Find more posts by JBL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Point out the mistakes, I'm happy to learn.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 05:02 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LordofBrooklyn

JBL spreading his HATE and IGNORANCE to the youth!!!

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 05:03 PM
LordofBrooklyn is currently offline Click here to Send LordofBrooklyn a Private Message Find more posts by LordofBrooklyn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by Philosophía
How many JBL to change a lightbulb, though?

That's the real question.

That's the trick, he would bust the bulb instead of moving it.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 05:20 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Point out the mistakes, I'm happy to learn.

If we're giving this appropriate treatment, the answers are probably something like the following:

1. For Philosophia, who's playing The Dozens with me, "Write to whoever manufactured yours. I wouldn't know."

2. For CosmicComet, regarding the paint chips in art class comment to JBL?
Lead hasn't been used in consumer paint since about 1978.
However, since, outside this thread, lead is a serious problem that shouldn't only be joked about, click on the following:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips.htm

3. To Pr, concerning his query a page ago?
JBL may not understand what gravity is, but neither do you.
This is not an insult; no less an authority than NASA says that NO ONE has the answer to that question:

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/doc...question30.html

4. To D.S...

a) applying "real-world" physics to fictional objects following fictional rules of physics doesn't always work. Or even "often" work, necessarily.

b) even if we treat comic showings as real world you run into another problem:
Your equations assume the planet in question is nearly identical in size, shape, mass, weight, and composition to our own Earth. In "reality", the planets in question vary in nearly all these dimensions. Superman in Our Worlds At War, for instance, is not pushing Earth, but Pluto, a planet now regarded as too small to even BE a planet. Mass compared to Earth?

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planeta.../plutofact.html

Although all of the planets beyond Mars are gas giants, Pluto is small and rocky. The tiny body has a mass of only 1.31 x 1022 kilograms, about two-tenths of a percent of Earth's. It has a volume of 1.5 billion cubic miles (6.4 billion cubic km).

https://www.space.com/18568-how-big-is-pluto.html

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 05:35 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JBL
Wrestling God

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
If we're giving this appropriate treatment, the answers are probably something like the following:

1. For Philosophia, who's playing The Dozens with me, "Write to whoever manufactured yours. I wouldn't know."

2. For CosmicComet, regarding the paint chips in art class comment to JBL?
Lead hasn't been used in consumer paint since about 1978.
However, since, outside this thread, lead is a serious problem that shouldn't only be joked about, click on the following:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/tips.htm

This is not an insult; no less an authority than NASA says that NO ONE has the answer to that question:

https://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/doc...question30.html

4. To D.S...

a) applying "real-world" physics to fictional objects following fictional rules of physics doesn't always work. Or even "often" work, necessarily.

b) even if we treat comic showings as real world you run into another problem:
Your equations assume the planet in question is nearly identical in size, shape, mass, weight, and composition to our own Earth. In "reality", the planets in question vary in nearly all these dimensions. Superman in Our Worlds At War, for instance, is not pushing Earth, but Pluto, a planet now regarded as too small to even BE a planet. Mass compared to Earth?

https://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/planeta.../plutofact.html

Although all of the planets beyond Mars are gas giants, Pluto is small and rocky. The tiny body has a mass of only 1.31 x 1022 kilograms, about two-tenths of a percent of Earth's. It has a volume of 1.5 billion cubic miles (6.4 billion cubic km).

https://www.space.com/18568-how-big-is-pluto.html
Nice.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 05:55 PM
JBL is currently offline Click here to Send JBL a Private Message Find more posts by JBL Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

And yet, it doesn't really counter what I said, as much as JBL might like it to.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 06:02 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
emporerpants

And yet real world physics are all we have to go by, unless the comic comes up with some reason for it not to count. So, Blue, why should we not go by real world science when trying to determine which is more impressive between pushing a planet and destroying it? What reasons do you put forth for why destroying a planet is more impressive? What are you basing this off of? In the absence of anything else, real world science is what we have to use. I'm curious as to what reasoning you are using for justification for destroying a planet being more impressive. I only ask because you seem to be championing JBL's cause. If this isn't the case and I've misunderstood you, then nevermind.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 06:13 PM
emporerpants is currently offline Click here to Send emporerpants a Private Message Find more posts by emporerpants Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by emporerpants
And yet real world physics are all we have to go by, unless the comic comes up with some reason for it not to count. So, Blue, why should we not go by real world science when trying to determine which is more impressive between pushing a planet and destroying it? What reasons do you put forth for why destroying a planet is more impressive? What are you basing this off of? In the absence of anything else, real world science is what we have to use. I'm curious as to what reasoning you are using for justification for destroying a planet being more impressive. I only ask because you seem to be championing JBL's cause. If this isn't the case and I've misunderstood you, then nevermind.

A partial answer to your queries can be found here:

http://comicboxcommentary.blogspot....nts-28.html?m=1

The above relates the tale of the first Warworld, pre "Our Worlds at War".

Ask yourself: "Which would be easier, for one or both of these powerful Kryptonians to MOVE Warworld, or for one or both of them to destroy it?"

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 06:26 PM
bluewaterrider is currently offline Click here to Send bluewaterrider a Private Message Find more posts by bluewaterrider Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bluewaterrider

Originally posted by -Pr-
And yet, it doesn't really counter what I said, as much as JBL might like it to.

Insofar as JBL was countering D.S., the proper response is the one I GAVE to DS:

----------

b) Your equations assume the planet in question is nearly identical in size, shape, mass, weight, and composition to our own Earth. In "reality", the planets in question vary in nearly all these dimensions.

----------

And this I can show in due course of time. Indeed, I already started with the case of WarWorld, from back in the days when Kara and company were truly world-moving figures.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 06:40 PM
bluewaterrider

Giving a proper response to this thread is likely going to take a lot of links and images.

So, where I can recall resource or reference heavy threads ...

The following, for instance, gives fairly complete information on Supergirl versus WarWorld:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...mp;pagenumber=1

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 06:47 PM
bluewaterrider

Link to page of Kara moving Bizarroworld.
Note that it takes less effort than the actual "lifting" of Bizarroworld would require -- at least as we've defined planet "lifting" to date:

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/...mp;pagenumber=8

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:00 PM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Insofar as JBL was countering D.S., the proper response is the one I GAVE to DS:

----------

b) Your equations assume the planet in question is nearly identical in size, shape, mass, weight, and composition to our own Earth. In "reality", the planets in question vary in nearly all these dimensions.

----------

And this I can show in due course of time. Indeed, I already started with the case of WarWorld, from back in the days when Kara and company were truly world-moving figures.

Gotta be honest, I kinda feel lost now, but that's my own fault for coming in to a thread 4 pages in.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:00 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

the question is largely unanswerable in terms of comics. in the real world, pushing a planet at light speed is redundant because the energy required to push ANY body with mass at light speed is infinite. adding a planetary body to infinity is.... yeah, exactly. if we were looking in the real world and superman could push a ball of adamantium at light speed, it would require an infinitely greater amount of energy than it would take for him to smash said ball.

in a comic, just because he can push adamantium at light speed, clearly doesn't mean he could smash said ball.

because achieving light speed in comics is such a common place thing, we need to completely throw out real world numbers imo. i mean we're talking about a medium where (some believe) hyperion held apart 2 UNIVERSES. no expression is THAT>destroying a planet or moving one at light speed?

anyway, moving a planetary body at light speed SHOULD require infinite energy. it doesn't in a comic world, so it becomes one more impressive feat, but quantitatively impossible to gauge in comparison to destroying a planet, especially one that is stated to be more massive than earth.

in general, in the comic world, i would think full on destroying a planet (depending on the number of blows required) would be more impressive but the degrees of 'impressiveness' are close. trying to prove this quantitatively is....beyond pedantic. i think the only sure thing is that lifting a planetary weight is the least impressive by far. /shrug

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:19 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

"pedantic"

Must have something to do with feet. Hmm....

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:31 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CosmicComet

You can't move an entire planet without destroying it anyway.

Its way too heavy relative to its durability/strength.

Square cube law. These same weirdos keep talking about moving a rock vs breaking it but when a rock is really, really huge, moving it and breaking it are the same thing. ...because it would break apart when moved.

Moving The Earth at 1 diameter per second (so 8000 miles a second) is only low relativistic and thats still way higher energy output than simply busting the planet.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:36 PM
CosmicComet is currently offline Click here to Send CosmicComet a Private Message Find more posts by CosmicComet Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

Originally posted by CosmicComet

in the real world i agree 100%. that obviously doesn't happen (all the time) in comics which further illustrates why the use of RL numbers in this thread supporting either side is... blink

which is why we need in-comic points for view. wasn't there a scene of majestros moving planets around like chess pieces using special gloves or something....?

i wonder if more people have moved planets or planetary bodies in comics or have destroyed them under their own power...?

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:46 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JBL
Wrestling God

Originally posted by CosmicComet

Its way too heavy relative to its durability/strength.

Square cube law. These same weirdos keep talking about moving a rock vs breaking it but when a rock is really, really huge, moving it and breaking it are the same thing. ...because it would break apart when moved.

Moving The Earth at 1 diameter per second (so 8000 miles a second) is only low relativistic and thats still way higher energy output than simply busting the planet.
The earth along with all the other planets at a very fast rate. Not take that speed and amplify it and watch them get destroyed.

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 07:53 PM
carver9

I don't know if this question can be answered but which one is more impressive, pushing a planet or powering through an attack that can push/hurl planets.

On ignore list: Darksaint and Stilt

Old Post Sep 22nd, 2017 08:30 PM
carver9 is currently offline Click here to Send carver9 a Private Message Find more posts by carver9 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote