KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Rewind: Trump had one the Popular Vote but Lost the Electoral College

How many would support Trump as the real Presdient
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
None of Them, There would be no protesting. 5 100.00%
All of them, There would be protests in the streets 0 0%
Total: 5 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rewind: Trump had one the Popular Vote but Lost the Electoral College
Started by: Sable

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 4 5 [6]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
darthgoober

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
That's why we have a system of checks and balances, where if someone wanted to bring back segregation in a given state like say in Kentucky and it won by popular vote, it would be shot down.

But your slippery-slope aside, how do you see this evil happening with removing the EC and given each citizen equal voting power in regards to electing their next president?

My slippery slope is exactly my point though. People are already in favor of taking property and legal rights from others, Antifa(and others, I'm not singling them out here) and others have already rioted over it in fact. The electoral college actually IS one of the checks and balances that we have in place, it basically keeps New York and California from deciding everything for the whole country.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:51 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire
You don't even need to eliminate the EC, just make it more accurately represent the people that it's supposed to represent. If a candidate can lose the popular vote by a few million but win the EC by like 70 or whatever it was, then it stands to reason that maybe the system isn't accurately representing the people. It's counting some votes way more than others simply because of what chunk of land they live in, there's really no reason for that.

I seem to remember DDM, shortly after the election, doing the math and showing that using the current system is the only way that could really happen.

One very simple thing that could improve it without eliminating the EC is to make the electorals based on percentage. So instead of winner take all, if you win 60% of the popular in a state, you get 60% of the electorals. This would allow for a more accurate representation of the state, and the nation as a whole, without putting it all in a national popular vote system, which would probably have another set of problems to deal with.

That sounds like a fair compromise thumb up

But Trumpers will be against this, as they already know Trump's not going to win the pop vote in the majority of states in 2020. Hell, he couldn't win the pop vote against Clinton, lolz.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 28th, 2017 at 12:54 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:51 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by darthgoober
My slippery slope is exactly my point though. People are already in favor of taking property and legal rights from others, Antifa(and others, I'm not singling them out here) and others have already rioted over it in fact. The electoral college actually IS one of the checks and balances that we have in place, it basically keeps New York and California from deciding everything for the whole country.

FFS, more "antifa". They've been labeled a terrorist group now, so you people need to stop with the fear-mongering.

I fail to see how that is the fault of Californians or New Yorkers? You're pushing certain citizens because they happen to live in states more people want to live in.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:54 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

If it was supposed to "accurately represent the people" then it wouldn't be needed as they could just use the popular vote.

Do schools no longer teach civics?

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:56 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Originally posted by Silent Master
If it was supposed to "accurately represent the people" then it wouldn't be needed as they could just use the popular vote.

Do schools no longer teach civics?

Not really.

It would still be a safeguard as you could divvy up a number of electoral votes a state gets overall, and keep certain states like California from having too much influence.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:58 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

FFS, more "antifa". They've been labeled a terrorist group now, so you people need to stop with the fear-mongering.

I fail to see how that is the fault of Californians or New Yorkers? You're pushing certain citizens because they happen to live in states more people want to live in.

I'm not fear mongering, I'm pointing out something that happened that got a lot of support from the media and populous because it demonstrates that we are in fact in danger of such a thing happening.

Those people who prefer to live in those bubbles are blind to the troubles of those who live outside them. Sure after the election democrats were all "we must have ignored how serious the issues were" but actually losing the election that way is what it took to bring about that mindset.

Last edited by darthgoober on Sep 28th, 2017 at 01:12 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:59 AM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Actually I don't and they were probably ****ing with you, would be my guess

Then you noticed incorrectly.

I hardly posted in the thread. So no

I didn't. You said I was doing the slippery slope to me yesterday and today to someone else.

Last edited by Sable on Sep 28th, 2017 at 01:07 AM

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:03 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dp

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:05 AM
Sable is currently offline Click here to Send Sable a Private Message Find more posts by Sable Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sable
Restricted

Account Restricted

That sounds like a fair compromise thumb up

But Trumpers will be against this, as they already know Trump's not going to win the pop vote in the majority of states in 2020. Hell, he couldn't win the pop vote against Clinton, lolz.

Because of of the Snowflakes in CA, NY and Illinois

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:08 AM
Silent Master

Not really.

It would still be a safeguard as you could divvy up a number of electoral votes a state gets overall, and keep certain states like California from having too much influence.

You appeared to be complaining that the EC doesn't more closely represent the popular vote. well, it's not supposed to.

If I'm misunderstanding your point. my apologies.

I don't know why some of you are going on about being right and winning. Rob and Impediment were in on this gag because I PMed them. Silent and Rao PMed me and figured I changed the post. I highly doubt anybody thought Quan made the post, but simply played along just for the lulz.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:19 AM
Silent Master is currently offline Click here to Send Silent Master a Private Message Find more posts by Silent Master Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I'm not fear mongering, I'm pointing out something that happened that got a lot of support from the media and populous because it demonstrates that we are in fact in danger of such a thing happening.

Those people who prefer to live in those bubbles are blind to the troubles of those who live outside them. Sure after the election democrats were all "we must have ignored how serious the issues were" but actually losing the election that way is what it took to bring about that mindset.

Disagreed.

FFS, this talking point is do redic, there’s a winner and loser in every election and it’s not like the Democrats win every time, or even a sweeping majority. Trump won, shit happens.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:20 AM
darthgoober

Disagreed.

FFS, this talking point is do redic, there’s a winner and loser in every election and it’s not like the Democrats win every time, or even a sweeping majority. Trump won, shit happens.

Well of course an antifa member is going to disagree lol

It's not rediculous, this is something that's been acknowledged by democrats. Hell Bill Maher and other liberals have talked about just how blind democrats and those in large cities were to the rest of the country multiple times. I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:24 AM
Robtard
Senor Member

Well of course an antifa member is going to disagree lol

It's not rediculous, this is something that's been acknowledged by democrats. Hell Bill Maher and other liberals have talked about just how blind democrats and those in large cities were to the rest of the country multiple times. I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

Weird.

Because Democrats win almost every election? Nope. In fact, I think Republicans hold the majority in the Presidency, if only by a small margin.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:29 AM
darthgoober

Weird.

Because Democrats win almost every election? Nope. In fact, I think Republicans hold the majority in the Presidency, if only by a small margin.

No it'd be more weird if you didn't.

Again I'm not the only one saying this, political commentators across the spectrum have noted it.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:32 AM
BackFire

Originally posted by Silent Master
You appeared to be complaining that the EC doesn't more closely represent the popular vote. well, it's not supposed to.

If I'm misunderstanding your point. my apologies.

My point is it can more closely represent the will of the people while still acting as an adequate safeguard against the tyranny of the majority or mob rule.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:33 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Silent Master

My point is it can more closely represent the will of the people while still acting as an adequate safeguard against the tyranny of the majority or mob rule.

What do you mean by will of the people?

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:37 AM
BackFire

Who the overall population votes for.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:45 AM
Silent Master

Who the overall population votes for.

So, the popular vote.

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 01:58 AM
Bentley
Seitei

The fact that your candidates are grown inside a two party system shoots down the idea of any true mob rule ever happening in the US.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Sep 28th, 2017 12:00 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote