KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Annihilation (2018)

Annihilation (2018)
Started by: Patient_Leech

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Found it to be all-in-all, average or just above average. The story/idea was great; but the execution ultimately failed imo. Which is a shame.

Portman did a fairly solid role, everyone else was rather one-dimensional and just kind of there.

To your question, PL. Altered is what I took from it.

Yeah, I initially thought it was pretty incomprehensible, but the more I think about it it might have some good thought-provoking elements that could elevate it to a higher form of intellectual sci-fi. Ex Machina is definitely that higher form of sci-fi, but it's much easier to make sense of. I'm going to have to have some repeat viewings, though, because it is sort of difficult to make much sense of. Some might see that as a flaw, and some might see it as a strength. There's certainly some things there about man's connection to nature, how we interact with it, etc.

And you're right, the premise is super cool and I think it's because of something I haven't heard mentioned yet: this alien entity (for lack of a better word) arrived and is changing things and experimenting with seemingly no reguard for the health or wellbeing of the native life. And that's likely exactly what we would do if we landed on a new world, looking to colonize or even just explore. Hell, it's basically what happened with the colonization of the Americas with the native humans and they were of the same species!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing how it plays with repeat viewings, even though I didn't much care for where the ending left things. It's more about the journey than the destination, for sure.

Last edited by Patient_Leech on Feb 27th, 2018 at 11:38 PM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2018 11:34 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Didn't really find it incomprehensible, it's all on all straight forward for the most part imo: an alien force arrives (either intentionally or by chance) and begins to alter the planet (either intentional or not), we don't know if the force is sentient or not, so it all could be randomness. What it was doing wasn't necessarily a bad thing either, as noted in the film, it was creating more-so than destroying, really depends on the viewpoint. eg If Earth lacked higher intelligence forms, would it really matter to the flora and fauna what was happening, it was overall just a change, maybe in the end it would have been beneficial?

Yeah, I plan to watch it at least one more time at home when it's available. Do wonder if a second viewing makes it better; not that it was shit.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 12:39 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blindside12
Restricted

Account Restricted

This was a great movie, 10/10

Thanks Esta!

Old Post Feb 28th, 2018 02:23 AM
Blindside12 is currently offline Click here to Send Blindside12 a Private Message Find more posts by Blindside12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Arachnid1

This was pretty good. The [SPOILER - highlight to read]: bear scene and the entire lighthouse scene were both phenomenally done. Besides those two scenes everything else was average, but those were both worth the price of admission alone.

PWNT

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 05:29 PM
Arachnid1 is currently offline Click here to Send Arachnid1 a Private Message Find more posts by Arachnid1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
carthage
PLEASE PROTECT ME STONES

This isn’t playing anywhere near me 😖

"Happiness is a lie. Life is horror. The light is always dying all across the universe. The last star will flicker out someday, when it does, all that remains is shadow. And I will be its king!"'-Amahl Farouk

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 06:58 PM
carthage is currently offline Click here to Send carthage a Private Message Find more posts by carthage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarthPlaguis12
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm wondering if I should see this but after reading spoilers idk if it's my thing

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 07:56 PM
DarthPlaguis12 is currently offline Click here to Send DarthPlaguis12 a Private Message Find more posts by DarthPlaguis12 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
Didn't really find it incomprehensible, it's all on all straight forward for the most part imo: an alien force arrives (either intentionally or by chance) and begins to alter the planet...

Yes, the general premise is pretty obvious. I'm not talking about the plot. I'm talking about what one is meant to take away from various details. In other words: what does it all mean? It's not so easily explained in that reguard.

Old Post Mar 3rd, 2018 10:27 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

They nail it as always...

Old Post Mar 8th, 2018 01:29 AM
Gehenna
Sorgo

This movie was absolutely amazing. It's one of the best sci-fi horrors I've seen, honestly. It has a lot going for it that could easily be missed or overlooked.

I think I'm going to go watch it again lol

Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Mar 16th, 2018 05:56 AM
Gehenna is currently offline Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote