OP states fighters are in an arena with standard equipment. Why the hell are people bringing fire and throwing knives in here?
Most GOT fighters have a knife or two hidden in a boot somewhere but I don't think Bronn carries a brace of throwing knives. Throwing away his one or two spare knives is a big risk for him to take, especially when The Hound is heavily armored.
Speaking of armor... Bronn has none. And he can't exactly pull the tactic he did in pushing someone down the hole... not in an arena.
Bottom line is, as impressive as Bronn has looked, he has never really had to fight anyone of decent caliber. Sandor has... multiple times. And for people saying Bronn fights dirty, what, you think Sandor is a saint?
1. Bronn throwing knives is very much in character for him to do. I can recall him doing so on at least two occasions. Whether it would work or not is another matter
2. Bronn didn't push the guy down the hole until after he already killed him. And that particular Knight of the Vale was also heavily armored and Bronn used that to his advantage. He basically ran from the guy and let him tire himself out.
3. Is armor standard equipment for the Hound anymore? He hasn't worn armor since Season 4 when Arya left him to die. Since then he dressed like Shrek
"I'M THE JUGGERMAN B!TCH"
Last edited by juggerman on Sep 29th, 2017 at 04:37 AM
Funny, because I still see Jaime putting on a good showing against Bronn despite being overall outclassed. I never indicated Bronn couldn't have won without exploiting his golden hand or that Jaime was winning or even stalemating Bronn, but challenging him, or holding his own? Sure. You could argue that Bronn wasn't giving it his all, but Sandor has better feats against better opponents while he literally was physically or psychologically incapable of holding his own, like against Brienne or Beric.
People give Bronn a lot of credit when, no joke, he has never once defeated anyone notable in a duel. Sandor is one of the greatest warriors in Westeros, by feats and reputation. Bronn just doesn't have the feats or even the accolades to match.
And people should stop bringing up throwing knives. They will do literally nothing to a man in armour, and Sandor's fighting style and preference is wearing heavy armour.
Look at Bronn's face in the clip. He looks bored as shit right up until he rips Jaime's hand off. Jaime is nowhere near challenging Bronn.
And as for Sandor's armor, as stated it seems like "standard gear" for him right now is normal clothing not armor. He hasn't worn armor since Season 4. Even though Arya just got the Cat's Paw Dagger I'd argue it's standard for her now since she hasn't been without it since she got it. Standard is what they normally have. The Hound is normally sans armor now
Well with how armor works. He got his in service of the Lannisters and the Crown. It was essentially destroyed when he got banged up and almost died fighting Brienne. And since then he hasn't had another set made because he hasn't had the money or a patron. It's more he hasn't had an opportunity to get more armor than he chooses not to wear it. Also a huge chunk of his fights are in armor. A lot more than the fights he has out of it.
Ok well if he currently doesn't have something, and hasn't had or used it in 3 years why would we consider it standard?
Consider Arya for a second if you will. In Season 1, Needle would be standard for her. In Season 3 it would not be standard because it was taken from her and she hadn't used it in a good while. It wouldn't matter that she would use it if she could. What matters is it isn't what she normally used at that time.
With all that being said, Sandor has not used armor in a very long time. Perhaps he prefers to fight without it now. Perhaps he just hasn't gotten around to replacing it. Either way I think standard means what he would normally have at the current time
Sandor definitely wins then. As fast as Bronn is, he was adamant that he couldn't afford to make a single mistake against Mountain, and even then he still might lose.
Sandor is a lot faster than his brother, far more skilled, and almost as strong. In fact, Sandor has better strength feats than Gregor. Tearing a head off or pulping a skull is one thing. He cut a human clean in half while wearing full plate armor.
1. Yes it's very much in character, but I don't recall him having numerous knives. Just one or two. And I don't recall him being successful throwing one at a fully armored opponent... though I might be mistaken in this.
2. Did he kill him before? Guess I'm mixing this up with the book fight, where he defeated his foe by tiring him out then pushing him through the hole. Still, tiring a person in armor out only works if the person is stupid enough to chase after you while wearing armor. It worked for the Knight of the Vale because that knight's pride was on the line and he wanted to make short work of Bronn. If Bronn keeps running away from the Hound, Sandor can just stand still and wait for Bronn to close. That's what any man with a bit of common sense would do if he was wearing heavier armor.
3. The Hound has worn armor in far more battles than he's fought without. That makes it pretty standard IIRC, unless OP specifies otherwise.
Yeah Bronn hamstrung the knight, then stabbed him in the side and let him bleed out till he was too weak to fight back. Then he took his shield, sword, stabbed down through his neck, and pushed him out of the Moon Door as he died.