KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » POLL - Darth Maul: TPM vs Rebels

Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
TPM Maul wins. 19 67.86%
Draw. 1 3.57%
Rebels Maul wins. 8 28.57%
Total: 28 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

POLL - Darth Maul: TPM vs Rebels
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (9): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Thor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
Enlighten me on what you consider evidence thor.

Google the term.

I don’t have time to give you an education, but suffice to say, every one of your points was based around speculating, and not one was an actual piece of evidence.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 08:06 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by ILS
What do you mean? Rebels Maul has all the training of TPM

Right.

When you train your biceps with the same weight repeatedly over time, not only do the muscle fibres get bigger, but you also activate individual pathways that connect your brain to the muscle. Over time, the action of lifting that weight becomes easier and more ingrained in both mind an body. However, the opposite is also true. If you train less frequently or to a lower standard (i.e. a use lighter weight) those nerve pathways get weaker, and your muscles will atrophy. The same is true of martial arts. Just because someone remembers how to perform a series of kicks, despite being out of practice, does not mean they can execute those kicks with the same level of efficiency or lack of defensive exposure as they once did when training intensively everyday. For Maul, the best case scenario is that he kept up with some regular training regimen over time. But will his personal training be as rigorous or as [b]extensive[/][/b] as it was under Palpatine? Doubtful. And metaphorically speaking, he doesn't have access to such a good [i]gymnasium, nor a qualified personal trainer. Him having experienced those goodies decades ago isn't of consequence now, or at best, they remain with him but to a much lesser extent.

quote:
How so?

Regarding his appearing weaker. Well for starters, he's using a cane, which implies he's drawing on the force to walk normally without it. He's thinner than he was, and as he's now middle aged, meaning his joints won't be quite as fresh as they once were. Now he can circumvent this with the dark side, but given that he's not as psychologically driven or as hateful as he once was (the kind of hatred that allows him to remain alive while cut in half), he's actually relying more on his (weakened) physicality than before. That would certainly explain his personal losses in the series. Rather than "overconfidence" on his part.

quote:
He deliberately blinded Kanan, threw him into the vacuum of space, manipulated Ezra into helping him unlock a Sith battlestation which he would have caused who knows how much damage with, trekked across an entire desert to kill Obi-Wan and steal Luke, etc. From all appearances he's still as ambitious as before.

So in other words, he's still willing to do mean things and kill people to make his ends meet? Cool. Does that necessarily mean he retains the same level of anger and hatred that he once did from previous incarnations? Nope. All you've done here is prove that Maul is still a villain. Just not one that's particularly scary or successful anymore.

quote:
I don't think his last, dying breath accurately reflects his motivations leading up to that point.

Oh yes that's right, instead of literally willing himself to live from wounds that would kill a normal person with his anger - like he has done in the past, he'd prefer to take solace with the idea of a prophecy doing thigh bidding. One that might eventually bring about his personal desire of revenge. Of course, not only is he prevented from carrying out those acts himself, he also won't even be around to see it happen. Do you really think he'd prefer that over 1) killing Kenobi 2) personally taking revenge on the empire 3) perhaps rulling the empire himself? I doubt it. He collapses from a wound that would have probably fuelled his resolve in the past. And he dies because he's not as powerful as he once was.

“We defeated the wrong enemy” - General George S. Patton, Berlin 1945

Last edited by twotter on Oct 8th, 2017 at 08:49 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 08:46 PM
Click here to Send twotter a Private Message Find more posts by twotter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

C ya choco.

In all seriousness though:
quote:

"Maul hasn't experienced any personal growth, he hasn't gotten over anything. He hasn't grown, except in his anger and his need for revenge."

Maul's hatred has increased, not decreased. The case for Maul declining remains one based on imagination.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 08:49 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

@Kbro,

I've already explained that author intentions aren't as important as the finished product of their work. You agreed on this. If Filoni thinks that maul is angrier and more hateful than he once was, he should have done a better job of portraying it in the series. Not making Maul look like a bloated cuddly toy would have been the first step in this.

Last edited by twotter on Oct 8th, 2017 at 08:58 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 08:56 PM
Click here to Send twotter a Private Message Find more posts by twotter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by twotter
@Kbro,

I've already explained that author intentions aren't as important as the finished product of their work.

There's a difference between what a finished product says, and what you think a finished product says.
You agreed on this. If Filoni thinks that maul is angrier and more hateful than he once was, he should have done a better job of portraying it in the series.

Seems pretty hateful to me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCSj_3r30PI
Not making Maul look like a

bloated cuddly toy
would have been the first step in this.

Cuddly toy yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo3dpmRgsk

Are we watching the same sh!t?

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 09:05 PM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Anyway, contrary to what Ziggy is arguing here, Maul isn't potrayed as someone who doesn't have the same hatred he had back then. Rather, he's potrayed as someone who has nothing left but his hatred and anger. Hence why he searches the galaxy for this one dude who cut him in half decades ago.

The whole point of Maul's arc in Rebels is that he's personally empty because all he has inside of him is hatred and vengeance. Which is why Feloni notes that personally, Maul's hatred and anger have grown. So yes he's, emotionally regressed as a character. As a darksider though, this doesn't equate to a combative regression. In fact Maul being more hateful and having more anger would logically strengthen him.

And Maul's last act, hoping for vengeance against those who have wronged him is hardly one of a pacifist, but rather of one who only knows hatred.

Maul as of Rebels is in the perfect emotional state for a darksider. His inferiority to Kenobi doesn't mean is commitment to darkness has weakened, rather, it's symbolic of the message Rebels was looking to convey: That in the end the lightsid is a better and more complete path to personal happiness. Hapiness of course being symbolized in Kenobi's victory and Maul's defeat.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 09:58 PM
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

There's a difference between what a finished product says, and what you think a finished product says.

Oh yeah, I'm sure that's why the majority of people who watched series thought that Maul got weaker. Cleary Filioni did a goooood job of portraying Maul's "growth" in the source material :

(please log in to view the image)

(please log in to view the image)

Nah. Filoni is still a hack and you're still an idiot.

quote:

Oh yes, don't worry... TPM Maul just survived being cut in half and sustained himself from the anger and hatred he had for Kenobi for years on end. Clearly that's the same a screaming while lost in the desert, possibly be riddled by intense heat exposure and dehydration. Yeah, sure.. maul is still hateful, is it the kind of fresh hatred that allows him to survive being cut in half - clearly not.

quote:
Cuddly toy yeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lo3dpmRgsk

Are we watching the same sh!t? [/B]

yeah, Maul looks like pussy compared to previous incarnations. Acts like one too.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 10:05 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Ziggy, in what universe is having a character's sole purpose be to hunt and kill down someone they hate not a portrayal of intense hatred?

Where the hell are you getting, "Maul has lost his hate!" from.

Explain to me how Feloni fails to potray Maul as a being of intense hatred when all Maul is shown as having is his anger and hatred?

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Oct 8th, 2017 at 10:38 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 10:36 PM
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

You're such a fucking idiot Kbro. Re-read my post and pose a question without strawmannirg.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 10:40 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

You're such a fucking idiot Kbro. Re-read my post and pose a question without strawmannirg.

I'm not going to be addressing your qualms with how Kenobi vs Maul was portrayed because that's unrelated to what I was responding to, your assertion that Maul is portrayed as someone who doesn't hate as much as he did in TCW:
quote:

but given that he's not as psychologically driven or as hateful as he once was

I hope you have better reasoning for this than:
quote:

TPM Maul just survived being cut in half and sustained himself from the anger and hatred he had for Kenobi for years on end.

Maul was brought back to life in TCW for the sake of adding a popular character back to the show.

He was killed in Rebels because the crew felt it was time to end his story.

Maul didn't come back to life in Rebels because there's no way Disney would get away with milking Maul even more. It had squat to do with Maul not being hateful.

If that was the intent then they wouldn't have Maul hope for vengance with his last breath.

Last edited by Rockydonovang on Oct 8th, 2017 at 11:08 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 10:53 PM
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

I already told you Kbro, author intentions do not matter. The out of universe reasons for in universe feats do not matter. The only thing that matters is the source material itself. The reasoning behind Maul's revival - being that he's a popular character, does not negate the feat in question. The in universe explanation for the feat is the only premise that's relevant in a VS thread - a powerful expression of dark side power stemming from hatred allowing him to survive and sustain himself from being cut in half. And yes, if he can't do the same thing in rebels, it means he's less powerful. you'll just have to deal with it.

So again, it doesn't matter what the production company thinks while making the content, nor does their reasons for doing things. Do all of Vaders feats in rebels become irrelevant seen as his appearances are there to rake in cash? And like i said, if the production company wanted to make Maul look stronger than ever, then they should have at least given him more than 4 seconds against Kenobi and 5 seconds against Kanan.

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 11:35 PM
twotter
Restricted

Account Restricted

Anyway Kbro, this is my last response to you. If I'm going to reply to anyone in this thread, it will be ILS. He's at least worthy of my time.

Anyway, mandatory reading for the next time you decide that filoni's personal opinion is more conclusive than the source material itself : https://writing.upenn.edu/~taransky/Barthes.pdf

Last edited by twotter on Oct 8th, 2017 at 11:48 PM

Old Post Oct 8th, 2017 11:44 PM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

I'll leave you to swords then.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 12:01 AM
Darth Thor

Rebels Maul still has anger and hatred, but the things he’s has in spades over TCW and TPM Maul is Desperation and Frustration. Those 2 factors clearly hinder his combat performance.

He was too desperate to fight Kenobi and too frustrated to get some kind of recompense which would show in all his fights.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 08:03 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by ILS
There's no implication that there's a big gap between the three iterations of Maul. In canon, at least. So it doesn't matter too much.

That's true, but like I said above Rebels Maul just seems the most desperate and frustrated of all his incarnations. He's also the incarnation least likely to be at his physical peak.

Originally posted by |King Joker|

I think a lot of your argument could be applied to TPM Maul vs. SoD Maul as well. SoD Maul was stuck in the past with his vendetta against Kenobi. SoD Maul lost his potential. So why not argue that TPM Maul is superior to that incarnation as well? The only legitimate distinctions between SoD Maul and Rebels Maul are age and political standing, the former of which isn't as relevant as people think it is, and the latter's importance in determining Rebels Maul's combative effectiveness is suspect, to say the least.

Addressed above.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 08:34 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

Originally posted by Darth Thor
That's true, but like I said above Rebels Maul just seems the most desperate and frustrated.

Neither of which should make a darksider combatively weaker.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 09:54 AM
godemperortrump
Restricted

Account Restricted

This Rocky/Thor fiasco will never end...

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 10:55 AM
Click here to Send godemperortrump a Private Message Find more posts by godemperortrump Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Neither of which should make a darksider combatively weaker.

Being desperate and frustrated makes any combatant more clumsy lol. Heck we've seen him act clumsily due to those very reasons and lose as a result of that.

Originally posted by godemperortrump
This Rocky/Thor fiasco will never end...

Doesn't seem like it lol

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:59 AM
ChocolateMuesli

at least he isnt as bad as KT was, right thor? that guy was a thorn in ur ass

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 01:43 PM
Click here to Send ChocolateMuesli a Private Message Find more posts by ChocolateMuesli Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Hmm not heard from KT since Rebels Kenobi blitzed Maul. He must still be having the longest orgasm in human history.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 02:43 PM