KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Pit Bulls...America's most hated dog

Pit Bulls...America's most hated dog
Started by: Raisen

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): « First ... « 2 3 [4]   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Raisen

quote: (post)
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Funny thing is it is so easy to prove how full of shit a lot of those companies and websites are. For example, go on youtube and actually search some vids about Pit Bulls and Rotts, and then see what actual owners say, either in the videos, or in the comments section. People who actually have had large amounts of interaction with these dogs, and who debunk all the nightmare narratives certain websites try to push. And that says it all, really. The best source of evidence are the people with the actual XP, and the people with the XP paint a very different picture to the demonising websites.

and you can earn a reputation of being ghetto just by having pits or rots. it's silly.

rotts used to be the primary dogs used in fighting rings also.

dog fighting is so damn ghetto. I hate it

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 07:29 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

There is one scenario where I can see concern being warranted, but it isn't down to any bad temperament or anything. And that's big dogs around small children. Because, for example, my one dog has this habit of kind of head-butting you to show affection. As in she will walk up to you and push against your hip or whatever with her head, as a sign of affection and that she wants attention from you. Except, as mentioned, she is roughly 130lbs, and extremely strong. And she can be very oblivious to her size and strength (she's shown herself as being capable of moving multiple times her own body weight on more than one occasion). So, if she does that in order to get attention from like a 5-year-old or something, accidents could happen. It hasn't yet, but I always try and keep an eye out if she's around children.

Last edited by TheVaultDweller on Oct 9th, 2017 at 07:56 AM

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 07:53 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kurk
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Raisen
rotts are great too. powerful square headed dogs tend to get lumped into the fear zone. they look like walking sharks.

rotts were the devil in the media during the 80's like pits are now. you can do the research and see how different breeds were demonized in the news during different times. Dobermans had their era in 90's were everyone was scared of them.

even home insurance companies don't want to insure you if you have a Doberman, Rottweiler, akita, chow, or pit
Yep. Family Rott passed a couple years ago. Loyal and a big baby.

"Technology equals might!" "Evolve or perish"

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 02:56 PM
Kurk is currently offline Click here to Send Kurk a Private Message Find more posts by Kurk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MythLord
Diamond

Any dog can be a good dog assuming it's got all its shots and the owner is good and capable.

"Hello, Starlight."

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 03:25 PM
MythLord is currently offline Click here to Send MythLord a Private Message Find more posts by MythLord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam_PoE

even home insurance companies don't want to insure you if you have a Doberman, Rottweiler, akita, chow, or pit

That is because those breeds are responsible for most home insurance claims for dog attacks. All the anecdotes in the world about how safe these breeds are do not invalidate those numbers. And this is coming from someone who has a German Shepherd, which is the third most dangerous dog on the list.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 07:47 PM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I know how they're raised is 95%+ of how the dogs act, but there's also breeding, theses dogs where bred for strength and aggression; so it's always there. Of course the argument "well, any dog can attack" and that's 100% true, but Pits can do more damage than another dog their size due to the breeding traits.

I'm perfectly fine around them myself, but I do get on edge when one is around my children or my dog, due to the stigma.

There's also the unfortunate side affect that they tend to attract douchebag dog owners who specifically want a Pit because they're known for aggression, instead of the gentle loyal loving side

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 09:23 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

there's a lot of dog racism on this thread. even have a gay guy committing dog racism. what a world we live in.

for shame. for shame

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 12:07 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Those attack statistics give a warped image of the situation, because people are more likely to report attacks from larger dogs, as opposed to smaller breeds that can cause less harm. Who is going to bother reporting it if a stranger's friggin' miniature sausage dog bites their ankle (which has happened to me before)? I know I didn't. Fact of the matter is, I have been around various breeds of dogs my entire life (though mainly owned Rottweilers), and the ones that are the most aggressive 99% of the time are the small dogs.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 03:41 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

there's a lot of dog racism on this thread. even have a gay guy committing dog racism. what a world we live in.

for shame. for shame
You're being a real pitnigger right now.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 04:39 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NemeBro

Those attack statistics give a warped image of the situation, because people are more likely to report attacks from larger dogs, as opposed to smaller breeds that can cause less harm. Who is going to bother reporting it if a stranger's friggin' miniature sausage dog bites their ankle (which has happened to me before)? I know I didn't. Fact of the matter is, I have been around various breeds of dogs my entire life (though mainly owned Rottweilers), and the ones that are the most aggressive 99% of the time are the small dogs.
This doesn't really add much of anything to the discussion my friend.

Sure, maybe small dogs are more aggressive than even pits or rotts. So what? Even if true, they are not nearly as dangerous as the larger but still aggressive dogs. People don't report smaller dog attacks because there's nothing going on that really warrants action. A small dog is not a danger to anything larger than a toddler, likely not even a child (and I'd imagine that most of the reports on small dogs are because they attacked a babby).

There's no stigma because there's no threat. There's a stigma against pits and rotts because there can be a significant threat.

I don't have a problem with either though. My grandfather's rott Bear was a total sweetheart, and my pit from when I was younger Tater was one of the most affectionate dogs I've ever seen. A pit or rott can be perfectly good dogs if raised properly, but they do take an owner who knows how to do this.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 04:43 AM
NemeBro is currently offline Click here to Send NemeBro a Private Message Find more posts by NemeBro Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Etherean Fire
Noble Al-LIE

Originally posted by NemeBro

laughing

I don't have a problem with either though. My grandfather's rott Bear was a total sweetheart, and my pit from when I was younger Tater was one of the most affectionate dogs I've ever seen. A pit or rott can be perfectly good dogs if raised properly, but they do take an owner who knows how to do this.

thumb up

I've had similar experience, and our pit was actually stolen/rescued from dog fighters. She had scars, musculature, etc to suggest such a history, and despite being brought up in that, she was one of the sweetest, friendliest, and even most sensitive animals we were ever fortunate enough to have. You would seldom (if ever) see her without a smile on her face, and she was always happy to greet you with it.

Last edited by Etherean Fire on Oct 10th, 2017 at 05:35 AM

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 05:33 AM
Etherean Fire is currently offline Click here to Send Etherean Fire a Private Message Find more posts by Etherean Fire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Sure, maybe small dogs are more aggressive than even pits or rotts. So what? Even if true, they are not nearly as dangerous as the larger but still aggressive dogs. People don't report smaller dog attacks because there's nothing going on that really warrants action. A small dog is not a danger to anything larger than a toddler, likely not even a child (and I'd imagine that most of the reports on small dogs are because they attacked a babby).

There's no stigma because there's no threat. There's a stigma against pits and rotts because there can be a significant threat.

I am not denying that they can be dangerous. Obviously they can. But my point is more that it's a physiological thing. Not an inherent temperament. Because I don't have any issues with someone being cautious around bigger dogs due to their size and power. As I said earlier myself, I keep an eye on my dogs when they are around small children, purely because of how strong they are, and because they could hurt someone even by accident. I just have an issue with some people assuming certain dogs will be more aggressive purely because they are larger. Because there are people who actually push narratives along those lines.

Your final sentence actually sums up my own view perfectly.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 06:24 AM
Adam_PoE

for shame. for shame

I am from a military family on both sides. We have only ever had purebred, male German Shepherds, because they are military and police dogs. I have had four in my lifetime, each named in successive military rank, and highly-trained. Shepherds are my preferred breed. They are also the third most dangerous breed of dog by the numbers, my anecdotes about their temperament as family dogs notwithstanding. Anecdotes are not evidence, and facts do not care about feels.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 06:25 AM
Adam_PoE is currently offline Click here to Send Adam_PoE a Private Message Find more posts by Adam_PoE Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

My personal opinion is that no Small Child should be left unsupervised with any sized dog. Mainly because even if the Dog doesn't mean to harm the child does not mean the child will not get hurt by the dog. Mainly because Dogs have a tendency to play rough. That and I think that the child is more the reason the dog will hurt it because the Child could do something stupid and set the dog off. Cause Kids are brats.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 06:54 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

I will say one thing. People have a much harder time being intimidated by my dogs after they have seen them in what I like to refer to as "full-on marshmallow mode".

(please log in to view the image)

Though, to give you some idea of size, those tiles on the floor are all 12 inch by 12 inch.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 07:05 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

But my point is more that it's a physiological thing.

Oh, and here I meant to say a physical thing. I had a brainfart and wrote physiological for some bizarre reason, and only noticed now on re-reading the sentence.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 08:09 AM
Raisen

the bite statistics are skewed because there are approx. 5 million pits or so in the United States due to ghetto people over breeding. Per capita pits rate pretty low for bite percentage.

However...it is true that pits are the type of dog that can do a lot of damage.

Chihuhuas have the highest per capita bite rate. Chows are high also

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 11:56 AM
Raisen

laughing out loud

you're right, but it was facetious

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 11:57 AM
Raisen

this is true. there's also stupid stories that get blamed on dogs also. like the baby who got his toes bitten off and the parents blamed their pitbull. it was actually a ferret that did it but the parents didn't want to say that because ferrets were illegal in the state they lived in.

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 11:59 AM
Raisen

I will say one thing. People have a much harder time being intimidated by my dogs after they have seen them in what I like to refer to as "full-on marshmallow mode".

Though, to give you some idea of size, those tiles on the floor are all 12 inch by 12 inch.

that's a good looking rott.

you should fite it bro

Old Post Oct 10th, 2017 12:00 PM