KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Happy Columbus Day

Happy Columbus Day
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Mother Night

Hence my "shape up" comments, Surt

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Robtard
"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." -Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Mother Night

Hence my "shape up" comments, Surt
Great book, read it earlier this year. Love me some Vonnegut.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:13 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I prefer Slaughterhouse 5.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:14 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The point, Surt. If you pretend to be a bigot, people will treat you like one. Do better.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:14 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

It is a good point. Free speech obviously exists, but that doesn't make you exempt from people reading your personality based on the things you say. Particularly on the internet – what else do I have to go by other than what you say?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:16 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

The point, Surt. If you pretend to be a bigot, people will treat you like one. Do better.

This means I should generally just treat you like a piece of shit though lol.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:17 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Scribble
It is a good point. Free speech obviously exists, but that doesn't make you exempt from people reading your personality based on the things you say. Particularly on the internet – what else do I have to go by other than what you say?

Common sense, for one. I'm not exactly a stranger, I've never ever advocated genocide for anyone lol.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:17 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by Surtur
This means I should generally just treat you like a piece of shit though lol.

If someone gives you solid advice to help you and your instinct is to insult the person in return, you probably should do some soul-searching, Surt. Do better for yourself.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:27 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, you made nonsensical posts about the Natives not being 'real' Natives, so snap

Are they indigenous to North America?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:30 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If someone gives you solid advice to help you and your instinct is to insult the person in return, you probably should do some soul-searching, Surt. Do better for yourself.

Lol Rob, and this is another example of why you shouldn't be taken seriously. You weren't trying to help anyone. I've been posting here long enough that I know the games you play.

You're truly going to pretend like you had my best interests in mind here? Lol.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:31 PM
Scribble

Are they indigenous to North America?
We're all from Africa, bro. They were indigenous as far as it goes, as far as many cultures are.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:32 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Lol Rob, and this is another example of why you shouldn't be taken seriously. You weren't trying to help anyone. I've been posting here long enough that I know the games you play.

So you think I was insulting/attacking you with the Vonnegut quote. Very weird. Very paranoid.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:32 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

We're all from Africa, bro. They were indigenous as far as it goes, as far as many cultures are.

Well now I have to ask how you define the word "indigenous" ?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:34 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

So you think I was insulting/attacking you with the Vonnegut quote. Very weird. Very paranoid.

Rob the things you are saying do not make any sense. Your responses clearly indicate you were attacking me with the quote. Look at what happened. You said the quote, Scribble responded. I responded and named by favorite book by Vonnegut. Then you respond to me with this:

Lol how is this not an insinuation that I'm a bigot? How is calling someone a bigot not an insult?

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:38 PM
Scribble

Well now I have to ask how you define the word "indigenous" ?
Honestly, in this situation, I'd happily substitute 'native' or 'indigenous' with 'lived there so long it was their right to continue living there'. Semantics become less useful in the face of genocide.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:42 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Rob the things you are saying do not make any sense. Your responses clearly indicate you were attacking me with the quote. Look at what happened. You said the quote, Scribble responded. I responded and named by favorite book by Vonnegut. Then you respond to me with this:

Lol how is this not an insinuation that I'm a bigot? How is calling someone a bigot not an insult?

My post wasn't insinuating that you're a bigot. I clearly said "pretend to be" as the qualifier; meaning you're not really a bigot, but acting like one. Which is the very point of the Vonnegut quote, ie becareful what you pretend to be, because people will see you that way.

Honestly, you're going out of your way here to find vinegar when I was giving honey.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:47 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Honestly, in this situation, I'd happily substitute 'native' or 'indigenous' with 'lived there so long it was their right to continue living there'. Semantics become less useful in the face of genocide.

I dunno, we can still acknowledge the bad things that happened to them without having to pretend they are indigenous to the country.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:49 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

My post wasn't insinuating that you're a bigot. I clearly said "pretend to be" as the qualifier; meaning you're not really a bigot, but acting like one. Which is the very point of the Vonnegut quote, ie becareful what you pretend to be, because people will see you that way.

Honestly, you're going out of your way here to find vinegar when I was giving honey.

Lol Rob you'd be more believable if I hadn't been witness to your behavior for years.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:49 PM
Scribble

I dunno, we can still acknowledge the bad things that happened to them without having to pretend they are indigenous to the country.
They were natives. At this point, you're a native too, due to the association between you and your country of birth. So they were certainly natives. Hence they are called 'Native Americans', rather than 'Indigenous Americans'. The reason they continue to be called Native Americans is because they were the first major people to populate and inhabit in the area. Seems fair to me.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:51 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Lol Rob you'd be more believable if I hadn't been witness to your behavior for years.
I make it blatantly obvious when I'm being an ass; I clearly am not on this page. You're acting like a victim now though.

Old Post Oct 9th, 2017 11:52 PM