KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Star Wars Versus Forum » ROTJ Luke vs Sheev Apprentices

ROTJ Luke vs Sheev Apprentices
Started by: darthbane77

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Rockydonovang
I'm talking about a scene from the less recent Vader comics:
http://www.11comic.com/comic/160811...87/pages_9.html

Can we discuss this which specifically compares post ANH Vader to his ANH self?

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 01:39 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Originally posted by FreshestSlice
Which could mean a variety of things, least of which is apparently power in the Force. Either way, what Sidious "knows" does not make it a fact, regardless of how logical you feel that should be.

Palpatine does not know exactly how powerful Vader is relatively. Which is the only thing relevant to this thread.

Regardless of its relevance to thread, it is relevant to the conversation at hand. I'm referring to what Underachiever said specifically, that it ending with the phrase "Vader still possessed great power" contradicts Palpatine's hypothesis that he would be weaker, but that's not how english works.

For example, take this sentence:

I knew I had to go to the store, but I still had two packages of crackers left.

The fact that I still had crackers doesn't contradict the notion that I still have to go to the store. If I want it to, I would word it as follows:

I thought I had to go to the store, but I still had two packages of crackers left.

The same principle applies to the quote. Wording is key.

Last edited by NewGuy01 on Oct 23rd, 2017 at 01:53 AM

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 01:50 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

The conversation at hand is retarded. And unfortunately for you, English works in a variety of ways you don't exactly get to dictate. Regardless, the topic at hand began when someone argued Vader would never be as powerful as Anakin, which is not said once. You can imply that, argue for it even, but it's never stated definitely, which was the claim.

In the end, Sidious does not "know" a quantitative value of how powerful Vader may or may not be, just like you don't ever "know" that you need to go to the store definitely. Because someone might just bring groceries over to you. Therein lies the weakness of your argument. Making a logical assessment does not make you correct, no matter how likely. Point blank and full stop.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 01:57 AM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Regardless, the topic at hand began when someone argued Vader would never be as powerful as Anakin, which is not said once. You can imply that, argue for it even, but it's never stated definitely, which was the claim.

It wasn't mine.

quote:
In the end, Sidious does not "know" a quantitative value of how powerful Vader may or may not be, just like you don't ever "know" that you need to go to the store definitely. Because someone might just bring groceries over to you. Therein lies the weakness of your argument.

The weakness of your argument is that you don't even understand what mine is.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 02:04 AM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Only Luke is specifically Legends, unless Son of Dathomir is a Legends product. Hint: it isn't.

That's also not what the quote says. And given that Sidious continuously tries to replace Vader, and is continuously proven wrong, Palpatine obviously doesn't know shit.

No he isn't specifically specified as Legends. But I mean fair enough, though this whole thread is screwed over then.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 02:09 AM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

"stronger" is often used in reference to potential rather than power.

Hence Kenobi says of TCW Anakin:
"he's stronger than any jedi"

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 02:24 AM
Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Originally posted by MythLord
http://www.starwars.com/databank/da...ography-gallery

It's under panel 14. It says that Sidious knows Vader would be weaker than he was before.

Ah thanks. Not sure how I missed that.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 03:00 AM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rebel95

Losing a hand would make someone worse at sword fighting. But with enough practice and dedication it could be possible to reach, maybe even surpass, the level the person was at before.

Maybe not the best example but you get the idea.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 03:30 AM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

It’s just stating what we always knew that he lost a lot of power after getting chopped up and burnt. And clearly lost a load of potential as well.

But that doesn't prove one way or the about whose more powerful between ROTS Anakin and OT Vader.

But I’d put my money on ROTS Anakin. I’d put Rebels/OT Vader approx on par with Late TCW Ani personally.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 12:51 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Greysentinel365

Canon seems to be going with no potential loss from mutilation.

https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/...437960934662145

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 01:08 PM
Click here to Send Greysentinel365 a Private Message Find more posts by Greysentinel365 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

Originally posted by Greysentinel365
Canon seems to be going with no potential loss from mutilation.

https://twitter.com/HolocronKeeper/...437960934662145

Like most other questions asked, he didn't really seem to answer it as another comment he makes, he's not declaring clear statements either.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 01:48 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by NewGuy01
It wasn't mine.

I don't care. You can sway the conversation your own way when this one is over.
quote:

The weakness of your argument is that you don't even understand what mine is.

Or maybe you're just wrong. That's a possibility too. Fact is, your argument isn't that hard to understand. I just don't agree with it regardless of you trying to explain the nuance of the English language with everyone.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 02:03 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Woah, edgy.

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 02:15 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

I agree, it shouldn't be hard to understand at all, but with you bringing up so many irrelevant points, it's difficult for me to believe we're actually on the same page. Whether or not Palpatine was correct in his assumption doesn't concern me; my claim was that the quote doesn't imply that he was incorrect. If it were worded differently it might have, but it wasn't.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 02:29 PM
Rebel95

Nah Vader’s better than CW Anakin. Honestly I have him above regular ROTS Anakin, but when Anakin is performing like he did against Dooku or operation Knightfall, he trashes Vader

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 03:11 PM
Click here to Send Rebel95 a Private Message Find more posts by Rebel95 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

^ Also a fair assessment.

Disney Vader does have some very beastly feats.

I’d say Peak ROTS Anakin is definitely above him, but Vader is just way more consistent.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 03:21 PM
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Originally posted by NewGuy01
I agree, it shouldn't be hard to understand at all, but with you bringing up so many irrelevant points,

Nah.
quote:

it's difficult for me to believe we're actually on the same page.

Nah.
quote:

Whether or not Palpatine was correct in his assumption doesn't concern me; my claim was that the quote doesn't imply that he was incorrect. If it were worded differently it might have, but it wasn't.

Yes, I understand. But whatever the quote may have implied, which if you read what I said it is indeed a logical conclusion, the quote is ultimately wrong because Vader is able to overcome his weaknesses there and surpass Anakin. Whereas the argument was, "Vader either is weaker than Anakin or was never able to match his potential," which the quote does not claim, nor is the quote shown to be at least permanently true. I'm sure just after Mustafar, Vader was weaker than Anakin. We have many quotes after this that state Vader grew in power as well, which is not irrelevant at all, because that was the conversation at hand.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 03:32 PM
NewGuy01
perpetual

quote:
Nah dawg, I get it, I get it, but now I'ma counter your point with something unrelated to your point, because of someone else's discussion.

Yeah, I'm done. You win, congrats. sick

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 04:53 PM
NuteNoot

1.) Luke
2.) Definatley Luke
3.) Dooku, he such an underrated swordsman. Tbh he's one of the best.
4.) Probably Luke (unless it was RotS Vader in which case Luke has no chance)

Old Post Nov 1st, 2017 07:38 PM
Click here to Send NuteNoot a Private Message Find more posts by NuteNoot Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Felony thinks Luke would lose to all the council members

The North Remembers

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2017 01:50 AM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote