KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » 1 Child vs 1,000 Embryos

1 Child vs 1,000 Embryos
Started by: juggerman

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (25): « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

quote: (post)
Originally posted by dadudemon
Do you not think your opinion on this is actually callused and cruel? How many people out there make babies but are extremely unfit to raise children? Orphans? etc.

If you're of the opinion that we should let nature and natural selection take its course, then I refer you back to my civility argument. This also means we could argue for all over the place as that would mean anything we are doing would be natural so there should be no such thing as civility (slippery slope about "let nature run it's course and the children die if their parents or family cannot care for them).

I can see where it could be considered that way. I don't really care though. People making poor choices is not my problem nor anyone else's. I don't think bailing idiots out by giving them money for their poor choices will fix anything other than the guilt you feel over ruined lives. It won't stop a moron from being a moron.

Civility is highly subjective and you couldn't refute that even if you wanted to. There are always going to be gray areas in "civility" so accepting some values and not others is the norm. While I wouldn't straight up kill a child, I also don't feel it my personal responsibility to save all of them from poor circumstances. I don''t think that is uncivil, just not as civil as you would like hence the subjectivity.

Hey, we agree on 1 out of 3 so we've got that going for us, which is nice. lol

Indeed. FFL? lol

And, again, I disagree. If I came down with terminal cancer that required a rare cancer treatment, I'd be okay. But what about the tens of millions of Americans who don't have insurance as good as mine? What about the elderly who cannot afford it? So we stop carring about a person after they turn 8-ish because they should be able to take care of themselves? Then where is civility? Why have any civility if we do not act civilized? Where are you drawing the line?

You already know what my answer would be. lol Take care of your business barring any physical/mental ailment that makes it impossible for you to do so. If crazy good healthcare is what you are worried about, then make that a higher priority than say, the iphone 12. Prioritize your funds so that the things you need are taken care of. get a better job. What you should not do, is expect others to pick up the slack for the choices you have made.

We do it already. And every industrialized nation does it including the US. It's just that the US is among the shittiest about doing it properly.

And it's a huge drain on the economy especially when there have only been a few social programs that actually work.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 10:30 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Then it should not matter to your that the lives of those less fortunate are improved and the lives of most people in your SES are also improved. You should fully support this idea (IIIIIIIFFFFF it is done correctly).

It is counterintuitive but people actually work more often when a substantial UBI system is in place. This is one aspect of UBI that still f*cks with my mind. I still do not understand why it is this way even when economists explain it to me (doesn't make sense).

Their lives could also be improved if they turned the aid they already are entitled to into opportunities for themselves. Instead, you get people that live off of this because you don't have to put forth any effort to survive.

Where has this been proven? The Finland experiment failed horribly from what I understand and it is supposedly one of the biggest social program countries in the world. It has helped the economically poor countries somewhat, but that was private organizations and the actual proof that it could be sustained was still not known.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 10:36 PM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire
Maybe it allows people to be more picky about what jobs they do, thus instead of getting whatever job pays the most, they can choose the one they more enjoy and find satisfying, thus incentivizing them to work more.

I am not educated enough in economics (even took 3 classes on it in college but I still feel woefully ignorant of it) to explain this but I will say that the research that is available, the economy actually improves so the net effect is more money is being made and spent on average.

What I don't know is if this is due to a greater work-force participation or that people are actually getting paid more, on average, OR if it is a combination of the 2.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 10:44 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Emperordmb
@dadudedemon Sure, but this was something voluntarily participated in, and Jesus told this dude to do it of his own volition, nowhere in the Bible does it suggest that you should use force to compel people to charity.

We are talking about taxes. Not charity.

Jesus was quite clear on this: pay your taxes.

If your taxes includes things for universal healthcare (it does) and basic income for the poor (it does), then you pay it and you do it honestly (if you're a Christian or wish to participate in a civilized society).

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 10:46 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Emperordmb
LSDMB

We are talking about taxes. Not charity.

Jesus was quite clear on this: pay your taxes.

If your taxes includes things for universal healthcare (it does) and basic income for the poor (it does), then you pay it and you do it honestly (if you're a Christian or wish to participate in a civilized society).

Yes, that doesn't mean that any form of taxation is ethical, just that if you live in society you should pay your taxes. That doesn't mean the government has an excuse to tax us for any reason.

Shadilay my brothers and sisters. With any luck we will throw off the shackles of normie oppression. We have nothing to lose but our chains! Praise Kek!
THE MOTTO IS "IN KEK WE TRUST"

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 10:52 PM
Emperordmb is currently offline Click here to Send Emperordmb a Private Message Find more posts by Emperordmb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by socool8520
I can see where it could be considered that way. I don't really care though. People making poor choices is not my problem nor anyone else's. I don't think bailing idiots out by giving them money for their poor choices will fix anything other than the guilt you feel over ruined lives. It won't stop a moron from being a moron.

You're arguing from the position of fringes. This is not what the research shows us happens in UBI systems. Just the opposite. Sure, there will always be the lazy leeches. They will exist before and after a UBI system. The good news is, the leeches seem to be fewer in UBI systems. So you support UBI, now, right? Because it reduces those freeloaders you despise, right?

While I wouldn't straight up kill a child, I also don't feel it my personal responsibility to save all of them from poor circumstances. I don''t think that is uncivil, just not as civil as you would like hence the subjectivity.

So you don't care about the elderly and the children: whether they live or die? Then you do not want to participate in a civilization. You want anarchy.

And, no, you're wrong about the "civilization" as that's the definition of civilization:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/civilization

If you are not civilized, you're not a civilization. A "system" where no one takes care of the other and every person for themselves is anarchy: the exact opposite of a civilization.

If you wish to make your society more civil, you civilize:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/civilize

to bring out of a savage, uneducated, or rude state; make civil; elevate in social and private life; enlighten; refine:

And to be civil:

adhering to the norms of polite social intercourse; not deficient in common courtesy:

You cannot claim to be civil if you do not want to be part of a civilization, by the definition. If you disagree that we should get to live in a civilization, that's fine. Maybe you like anarchy and prefer that type of system: that is your political belief. And we can agree to disagree. I prefer civility and living in a civil civilization.

You already know what my answer would be. lol Take care of your business barring any physical/mental ailment that makes it impossible for you to do so. If crazy good healthcare is what you are worried about, then make that a higher priority than say, the iphone 12. Prioritize your funds so that the things you need are taken care of. get a better job. What you should not do, is expect others to pick up the slack for the choices you have made.

Then let's cancel the following:

1. Welfare.
2. Medicare.
3. Medicaid.
4. All government subsidies.
5. All of government.

Because your proposal is not possible unless you implement anarchy. Every person for themselves. Every person must take care of themselves. No governments because government exist, especially the United States government, to create "a more civil union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..."

And it's a huge drain on the economy especially when there have only been a few social programs that actually work.

Again, it has been shown that the greater drains on the economy are poor healthcare and shitty welfare system. It's not a none or none system. Our current system is a "poorly some" system that could be made better into a "much more but costs everyone less" system.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 11:00 PM
dadudemon

Their lives could also be improved if they turned the aid they already are entitled to into opportunities for themselves. Instead, you get people that live off of this because you don't have to put forth any effort to survive.

Why care so much about the fringes, though? Why detriment and throw out the entire system simply to spite the fringes? What about everyone else who will benefit?

Less than 1.5% of welfare is fraud (page 1):

https://www.usda.gov/oig/webdocs/27901-0002-13.pdf

Where has this been proven? The Finland experiment failed horribly from what I understand and it is supposedly one of the biggest social program countries in the world. It has helped the economically poor countries somewhat, but that was private organizations and the actual proof that it could be sustained was still not known.

Finland's issue is that it is not a UBI example.

quote:
Kela, the national social-insurance institute, randomly selected 2,000 Finns between 25 and 58 years of age who were already getting some form of unemployment benefits. The subsidies were offered to people who had been unemployed for about one year or more, or who had less than six months of work experience. Participants in the trial would receive €560 (about $645) a month from January 2017 to December 2018, whether or not they came to earn any additional income.

The trial size was cut to one-fifth of what had originally been proposed, and is now too small to be scientifically viable. Instead of giving free money to everyone, the experiment is handing out, in effect, a form of unconditional unemployment benefits. In other words, there is nothing universal about this version of universal basic income.

Continue reading the main story
RELATED COVERAGE

THE FUTURE OF WORK
The Future of Not Working FEB. 23, 2017
And so even when the experiment’s official results are known, in 2019, they will reveal little — and far less than they could have — about the effects that universal cash payments could have on income inequality or people’s attitudes toward work and their quality of life.

The shortcomings of Finland’s universal basic income experiment are best understood against the backdrop of the country’s lackluster economic performance and the resulting political developments. At the time of the 2015 parliamentary election, the Finnish labor market had experienced three recessions since the 2008 financial crisis. The public debt level increased from more than 38 percent of G.D.P. in 2008 to 75 percent in 2015.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/20/...sic-income.html

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 11:08 PM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yes, that doesn't mean that any form of taxation is ethical, just that if you live in society you should pay your taxes. That doesn't mean the government has an excuse to tax us for any reason.

But now we aren't talking about my original point anymore. We just simply got you to agree that taxes are not charity and that Jesus taught to pay your taxes. Since we agree there, do you want to revisit the original point we were discussing? We got off on this tangent because you were stating that taxes were charity and that the bible does not teach to forcefully make people pay charity.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 11:10 PM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

You're arguing from the position of fringes. This is not what the research shows us happens in UBI systems. Just the opposite. Sure, there will always be the lazy leeches. They will exist before and after a UBI system. The good news is, the leeches seem to be fewer in UBI systems. So you support UBI, now, right? Because it reduces those freeloaders you despise, right?

So you don't care about the elderly and the children: whether they live or die? Then you do not want to participate in a civilization. You want anarchy.

This actually hasn't been shown to decrease anything as it hasn't happened anywhere long enough to have any proper backing. It failed in Finland. So, no, I don't support it.

Are you upset? It seems like you are upset.

I don't feel it is my responsibility to support other people's children or the elderly in a fiscal sense. That is not the same as not caring about them living or dying and it most certainly not anarchy. lol Your exaggerating immensely to try and push your point.

And, no, you're wrong about the "civilization" as that's the definition of civilization:

Civilization:
1. an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

(We are good there)

2.those people or nations that have reached such a state.

(Good here)

3.any type of culture, society, etc., of a specific place, time, or group:Greek civilization.

(the "any" part supports the subjectivity as cultures are very different.)

4. the act or process of civilizing, as by bringing out of a savage, uneducated, or unrefined state, or of being civilized : Rome's civilization of barbaric tribes was admirable.

(The Romans also did ****ed up shit, so again, civility is subjective no?)

5.cultural refinement; refinement of thought and cultural appreciation:
The letters of Madame de Sévigné reveal her wit and civilization.

(no issues here)

6.cities or populated areas in general, as opposed to unpopulated or wilderness areas:
The plane crashed in the jungle, hundreds of miles from civilization.

(Good here too)

7. modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology:
After a week in the woods, without television or even running water, the campers looked forward to civilization again.

(This doesn't state that it should be given to you, merely that it be available)

None of the above definition refutes my statement.

Then let's cancel the following:

1. Welfare.
2. Medicare.
3. Medicaid.
4. All government subsidies.
5. All of government.

Because your proposal is not possible unless you implement anarchy. Every person for themselves. Every person must take care of themselves. No governments because government exist, especially the United States government, to create "a more civil union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity..."

Again, it has been shown that the greater drains on the economy are poor healthcare and shitty welfare system. It's not a none or none system. Our current system is a "poorly some" system that could be made better into a "much more but costs everyone less" system.

Since I'm not in favor of anarchy and that is simply something you made up about me this whole thing falls flat.

I have stated in other threads that i am not opposed to welfare and other social services as long as the recipient is willing to work for them and try to lift themselves up to a point where they no longer need it.

To me it is more humane and civil to get people to work and educate them to help themselves while becoming productive members of society rather than just giving them shit. You know, help them progress our civilization and not just give me the warm fuzzies.

Old Post Oct 20th, 2017 11:26 PM
dadudemon

This actually hasn't been shown to decrease anything as it hasn't happened anywhere long enough to have any proper backing. It failed in Finland. So, no, I don't support it.

I disagree that not enough research has been done to have any sort of reasonable economic discussion:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...uccess-1.868562

quote:
"We found that, overall, hospitalizations in Dauphin declined relative to the control group," said Evelyn Forget, professor of community health science at the University of Manitoba.

"We also looked at accidents and injuries, and they also declined. You can argue that accident and injury hospitalizations are strongly related to poverty."

..."Hospitalizations for mental health issues were down significantly," she said, adding that teenagers stayed in school longer as a result of the initiative.

And there was a decline in employment for two demographics: new mothers and young men (who completed secondary education through grade 12 and attended college more often compared to the control group).

Also, your point about failing in Finland, I already addressed it. It was not actual UBI and so few participated that it can't even be considered "science." Let's be clear that it was sensationalized as UBI but actually was not UBI.

Are you upset? It seems like you are upset.

This is a very odd question to ask so randomly.

No, not at all. I am enjoying this conversation. Why would you ask if I'm upset? Is it because I'm cutting to the core problem of your perspective being indistinguishable from anarchy? Does it seem like my argument is a bit harsh and difficult to digest? If so, I can try to soften the arguments a bit so it does not seem so harsh.

Okay, I'll try now: from my perspective, your position seems no different than anarchy. I can directly quote you 3 times, now, making statements that are no different than Pure Anarchy. Forgive me if that is offensive or you feel that mischaracterizes your position: I cannot distinguish your perspective from anarchy and I have asked you at least once in this conversation to flesh out your perspective a bit better because the line you're drawing seems either be a terrible slippery slope or anarchy.

I don't feel it is my responsibility to support other people's children or the elderly in a fiscal sense. That is not the same as not caring about them living or dying and it most certainly not anarchy. lol Your exaggerating immensely to try and push your point.

Then what are taxes for? You do realize that taking care of the less fortunate, through your taxes, is a benefit to you, right? Why don't you realize that you live in a civilization and what happens to the least among you impacts you, economically?

Your position is anarchy. It is not distinguishable from anarchy. Maybe you think anarchy is derogatory but many don't. Many hold your position. Even very educated, published, academics hold anarchist beliefs and they can support their positions quite well.

None of the above definition refutes my statement.

They do and you pretending like the definitions of civilization don't exist does not help your case. I've demonstrated that there is no word game necessary. As is defined by the myriad definitions of civilization, failing to treat your fellow civilians with civility is to fail to be civilized. Else it ceases being:

the act or process of civilizing, as by bringing out of a savage, uneducated, or unrefined state, or of being civilized :

an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

You tried but failed to make this a word game about "civilization" or "civilized" simply because I used it in a very solid argumentation construct. But you are arguing from a position of anarchy which is the opposite of civilization. You're trying very hard to make this a philosophical debate about the definition of a particular word but is that actually being honest at all? Do you dislike the idea of being civilized (as I've clearly argued) so you must play a word game instead of arguing against the point of social constructs? Be honest. Do not keep playing word games as it is unnecessary to do with me. Don't try to avoid making a proper rebuttal (in your defense, your last point is a proper rebuttal, and, unsurprisingly, we agree and it leads us both to the same conclusion). Actually stick to the topic instead of drowning in a meaningless word debate that clearly indicates you're not honestly participating in a discussion. Anyone can keep swimming down the hole of "it's all subjective" and that, from my experience, is the sign that a person does not have an argument. They (and you're included) think it is philosophical sophistry but it is actually sophomoric debate at best and obvious perfidiousness at worse.

Now, if you wish to continue this word game, we can put it to bed. I am very clearly talking about a specific definition of "civilization." I am referring to the civility and social well-being that is inherit with highly civilized human organizations. Perhaps this fits the British definition:

"a human society that has highly developed material and spiritual resources and a complex cultural, political, and legal organization; an advanced state in social development"

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/u...sh/civilization

But because you're making me have to go look at dictionaries to find a definition that clearly fits with what any reasonable and normal person would already understand, you can see how your argument about "it is all just subjective and no one can truly define what civilization means" is just silly. If you do not want to have any responsibility towards others, do not live in a civilization. Start an anarchical thunderdome and battle for your riches. If you prefer civilization, pay your taxes and keep responsibility towards your fellow citizens. Then watch as your money goes to people and organizations that did not work for it.

I have stated in other threads that i am not opposed to welfare and other social services as long as the recipient is willing to work for them and try to lift themselves up to a point where they no longer need it.

Then you are in direct favor of the UBI that I advocate and others in this thread have touched on. In fact, no reasonable person has suggested a UBI that works like I believe you think it works. It is always a graduated system that works like a larger, but graduated, welfare system. The welfare system would be scrapped completely. The system I believe that is best is the Fair Tax. It has a few problems, of course, but it fixes the tax system and implements a form of UBI.

To me it is more humane and civil to get people to work and educate them to help themselves while becoming productive members of society rather than just giving them shit. You know, help them progress our civilization and not just give me the warm fuzzies.

Then based on what you're stating here and the results of some of the UBI research, you advocate and support UBI because the research shows people are able to get educations and that they work more often thus being more educated and working more often: your personal and subjective definition of high-civilization.

So we agree. You want the type of UBI that I want. You want the UBI that Backfire discussed. You want the UBI that Robtard talked about. We want the same thing. Have you now changed your mind and agree that we agree?

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 12:55 AM
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

I just want free money bro.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 01:00 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

for drugs and 3rd term abortions

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 01:03 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire

It's only post-birth abortions for me.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 01:20 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by BackFire
It's only post-birth abortions for me.

Ah, yes, crock pot, slow cooked. Delicious.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 01:40 AM
BackFire

I prefer deep fried, but to each their own.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 01:43 AM
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

I disagree that not enough research has been done to have any sort of reasonable economic discussion:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...uccess-1.868562

And there was a decline in employment for two demographics: new mothers and young men (who completed secondary education through grade 12 and attended college more often compared to the control group).

Also, your point about failing in Finland, I already addressed it. It was not actual UBI and so few participated that it can't even be considered "science." Let's be clear that it was sensationalized as UBI but actually was not UBI.

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/o...-411490895.html

There was very little evidence, one way or the other amittedly, to prove if it works or not. You know this to be true. They stated there was very little evidence they could gather at all. Not to mention they cited that the fact that all volunteers knew it was temporary could have been the reason no one stopped working.

Finland tried a basic income plan and it failed. If you want to discount it because it does not fit your narrative, meh, okay.

This is a very odd question to ask so randomly.

No, not at all. I am enjoying this conversation. Why would you ask if I'm upset? Is it because I'm cutting to the core problem of your perspective being indistinguishable from anarchy? Does it seem like my argument is a bit harsh and difficult to digest? If so, I can try to soften the arguments a bit so it does not seem so harsh.

Okay, I'll try now: from my perspective, your position seems no different than anarchy. I can directly quote you 3 times, now, making statements that are no different than Pure Anarchy. Forgive me if that is offensive or you feel that mischaracterizes your position: I cannot distinguish your perspective from anarchy and I have asked you at least once in this conversation to flesh out your perspective a bit better because the line you're drawing seems either be a terrible slippery slope or anarchy.

It just seemed to go from "this is a great talk" to "you're a ****ing anarchist bro" pretty quick. lol I would like to thank you have had enough discourse with me to know that I'm not really offended by anything, but in case you didn't, I am not offended.

I'm confused as to what pure anarchy is to be honest with you because from what I have read, it is a broad and diverse train of thought.

To be clear, I don't want to remove government completely. It is necessary imo, but I would like to limit their involvement in several areas (mainly business).

I'm not against taxes. They are necessary to fund road systems, police force, militaries, etc.

I am against giving people money while receiving nothing in return. Therefore, I would support a welfare system that actually required recipients to receive a trade school education (or even college education) while performing undermanned jobs. You know, something useful for the money we dole out. I don't see how that's bad.

Then what are taxes for? You do realize that taking care of the less fortunate, through your taxes, is a benefit to you, right? Why don't you realize that you live in a civilization and what happens to the least among you impacts you, economically?

Your position is anarchy. It is not distinguishable from anarchy. Maybe you think anarchy is derogatory but many don't. Many hold your position. Even very educated, published, academics hold anarchist beliefs and they can support their positions quite well.

It would benefit me if they did something other than just survive from the welfare. See comment above. Them just being alive doesn't necessarily benefit me at all. You can say that if they have money they will spend it but it was actually money that we could have spent ourselves regardless. If they died, all that happens is we don't have to pay for their upkeep any longer if you want to go the economic route.

I see my way as more economically fruitful in the long run and more civilized.

They do and you pretending like the definitions of civilization don't exist does not help your case. I've demonstrated that there is no word game necessary. As is defined by the myriad definitions of civilization, failing to treat your fellow civilians with civility is to fail to be civilized. Else it ceases being:

the act or process of civilizing, as by bringing out of a savage, uneducated, or unrefined state, or of being civilized :

an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached.

So call it what is bro, nobody truly knows what a civilization is unless they agree with your absolute idea of it, no? Civilization, and to be civil, are highly subjective, whether you choose to agree or not. How many barbaric civilizations have there been that thought they were civilized? Just because I don't want to give my money away for free doesn't mean I'm not "civilized". I simply think there are better ways of going about helping my community. Believe what you want though.

Then you are in direct favor of the UBI that I advocate and others in this thread have touched on. In fact, no reasonable person has suggested a UBI that works like I believe you think it works. It is always a graduated system that works like a larger, but graduated, welfare system. The welfare system would be scrapped completely. The system I believe that is best is the Fair Tax. It has a few problems, of course, but it fixes the tax system and implements a form of UBI.

Then based on what you're stating here and the results of some of the UBI research, you advocate and support UBI because the research shows people are able to get educations and that they work more often thus being more educated and working more often: your personal and subjective definition of high-civilization.

So we agree. You want the type of UBI that I want. You want the UBI that Backfire discussed. You want the UBI that Robtard talked about. We want the same thing. Have you now changed your mind and agree that we agree?

I am not in favor of it as you have explained it. i'm not okay with just giving people money. If, say, this money has to go to education to better yourself, then sure I'll play along. If you have to perform high demand skilled labor for said income then I'll play along, but if you want to just hand it out so people can do with it what they will, then no, I don't support that.

Last edited by socool8520 on Oct 21st, 2017 at 01:58 AM

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 01:55 AM
Raisen

I don't think this tests morality or whatever. it's simple. a baby is something you can physically see...it's emotions and all that. it's much easier to have feelings towards something you can hear cry and physically see and interact with than a life form still in the womb.

it's equivalent to people being more emotionally disturbed by seeing someone shot dead in front of their face rather than seeing people die on the news. You can see 100 people die by firing squad on the news but it won't illicit the same response as even personally seeing a person lose a limb.

so this hypothetical proves nothing.

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 02:51 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

[QUOTE=16370589]Originally posted by Bentley
1 Child vs 5 Old people (over 80)

Go!
[/QUOTE

depends on the child. if we are coming at this from the perspective of who may better serve the world and be less of a burden than five 80 year olds may serve more purpose than a child with downs who will only be a drain on others. the child may offer happiness to their parents but they will be a net drain to society.

i'm not saying I live my life thinking like this...but we need a basis to come from to answer your question. morality doesn't have a singular definition

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 02:55 AM
Raisen is currently offline Click here to Send Raisen a Private Message Find more posts by Raisen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Raisen

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
'intellectual honesty' as in 'how would you likely confront the situation if actually forced to it.'

so yes: intellectual

intellectually honest from our individual point of view? this all depends on the viability and potential of the embryos compared to the child if I was coming at this as a person with no connection to the already born child

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 02:57 AM
Raisen

Hmmm...

This is a tough argument to overcome from either side...

It's pretty good.

I'll cover it from both sides:

Pro-Choice
I would argue that from a certain point of view, the cat has more intrinsic value than a fetus. And I would also argue that the woman should have even more power and control over aborting the fetus than euthanizing her cat: the cat is not part of her body nor does the cat have to rely on her body to continue to grow, develop, and simply survive. So the argument could be made that a woman being able to terminate a baby should be a stronger right than euthanizing your house pet because of the circumstances.

Pro-Life
However...that's because we are the supreme hunters and dominators of all life on earth, as anthropocentrically arrogant as that sounds. The right to slay an animal, which is legally defined as property in the US, under specific conditions is actually an easier case to make, ethically. And most humans will agree - to the notion that we can, conditionally, slay animals - because of our apex-ness (this word does not exist).

The fetus is a human life with a unique human nucleotide sequence. We as the matured humans should proffer certain rights that the developing human cannot enforce. I still think that abortions should be legal in the first trimester, just like Surtur. However, I morally oppose it. And since I also think we should have a universal healthcare system and a universal basic income, no one can use the argument, "You care so much about not killing babies but you don't give a shit about the baby after it is born!" argument against me to rebut.

I like how you did this. you're one of the few who try to examine this from different schools of thought

Old Post Oct 21st, 2017 03:10 AM