KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » There really was a media bubble

There really was a media bubble
Started by: cdtm

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm

There really was a media bubble

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...l-media-bubble/

Interesting read from fivethirtyeight on media echo chambers, and why they happen.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 01:03 PM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Foxsteak
Restricted

Account Restricted

Was?

InfoBoards: 1 millionth post game regains popularity! . Stockholm syndrome has spread throughout KMC . Surtur reports a "change" in the forum . Super Noodles Vitality only £1.00 . AAAARGH!

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 09:32 PM
Foxsteak is currently offline Click here to Send Foxsteak a Private Message Find more posts by Foxsteak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

And water is wet lol. Our media is 95% left leaning. Have you seen much about Uranium One or even the Debbie Wasserman Schultz scandals on CNN or MSNBC? Oh I do know they talked about Hilary whining the story was nothing. Good on them. Great stuff.

And nope: nobody come show me one article on CNN or something about it. This would be plastered 24/7 across all media if it was Republicans.

Old Post Oct 23rd, 2017 10:31 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The whole "Story of 2016" series from 538 - of which there are 11-12 parts - is an excellent post mortem on the election and various forces that surrounded it. Simply reading the headline(s) and shrugging as if it were common knowledge won't produce the nuanced complexity of the full rationale behind it. A lot of it speaks less to the particulars of this election, but more about how we produce and consume our information in general, which is applicable across a much broader range of topics.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 08:12 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Surtur
Our media is 95% left leaning.

^

Good lord...

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 08:50 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you want to whine over the number used okay, we can just say a majority of our media leans left. Did you disagree?

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 08:57 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Hmm, that might depend on what you define as "media". If you count just like the big TV stations and news stations, then yeah it's true. But if you expand that to count things like websites like infowars or Breitbart, and talk radio, then it may not be as cut and dry. There are tons of conservative talk radio shows and they get absurd ratings. Think I remember reading somewhere that Limbaugh gets something like 20 million listeners or something.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:01 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Originally posted by BackFire
Hmm, that might depend on what you define as "media". If you count just like the big TV stations and news stations, then yeah it's true. But if you expand that to count things like websites like infowars or Breitbart, and talk radio, then it may not be as cut and dry. There are tons of conservative talk radio shows and they get absurd ratings. Think I remember reading somewhere that Limbaugh gets something like 20 million listeners or something.

^ Bingo

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:03 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Mainstream media.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:05 PM
BackFire

Yeah even then, I'm not sure what the term actually includes anymore. What defines mainstream these days seems to be always changing. To me it seems "mainstream media" is just another catch-all term for "liberal media".

But really, what's "mainstream" should mean what gets the most viewers/listeners/readers. And that does not seem to really be liberal channels/publications anymore. When Fox News is the most popular cable news network, when Breitbart/Drudge are the most popular political/news websites, and when Limbaugh/Hannity is the most popular political radio talk show host, it kinda causes bewilderment to not include them in the "mainstream".

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:09 PM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah even then, I'm not sure what the term actually includes anymore. What defines mainstream these days seems to be always changing. To me it seems "mainstream media" is just another catch-all term for "liberal media".

But really, what's "mainstream" should mean what gets the most viewers/listeners/readers. And that does not seem to really be liberal channels/publications anymore. When Fox News is the most popular cable news network, when Breitbart/Drudge are the most popular political/news websites, and when Limbaugh/Hannity is the most popular political radio talk show host, it kinda causes bewilderment to not include them in the "mainstream".

Lol, are we now going to say our MSM isn't mostly left leaning? Okay then. You do that. The reason is because Breitbart and stuff is popular? Okay. Nice.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:10 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Lol, are we now going to say our MSM isn't mostly left leaning? Okay then. You do that. The reason is because Breitbart and stuff is popular? Okay. Nice.

^

Look how you act when someone counters your biased views with facts, you cover your ears and scream foul. Grow up.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:11 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Robtard
^

Look how you act when someone counters your biased views with facts, you cover your ears and scream foul. Grow up.

Lol my views are biased? I'm sorry but "because Breitbart is popular" isn't a reason.

I don't care how popular they are, people don't truly take Breitbart seriously. Same for InfoWars. What dipshits follow are the CNN's, the NY Times, those types of shitbags.

Pokemon is popular too, doesn't mean it is taken seriously.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:14 PM
BackFire

Well as I said, if you just count the TV sations ABC, NBC and the like with CNN and MSNBN, along with classical newspapers like the NYT and WAPO, then yes, of course, those institutions are left-leaning. Not denying that.

My point is, what is historically considered mainstream doesn't really match with what's popular anymore. Those networks don't get great viewer numbers, and newspapers are a dying industry, despite enjoying a slight bump because of increased interest in Trump. The word "mainstream" generally means what is popular among the general public. And if these channels and papers are less popular than some other things, then it makes sense to consider and question what should be considered mainstream and what shouldn't.

Times are changing, and the way and places people get their news are also changing, so maybe it's time to reconsider what is included when talking about the mainstream media.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:16 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

Lol my views are biased? I'm sorry but "because Breitbart is popular" isn't a reason.

I don't care how popular they are, people don't truly take Breitbart seriously. Same for InfoWars. What dipshits follow are the CNN's, the NY Times, those types of shitbags.

Pokemon is popular too, doesn't mean it is taken seriously.

See what you did, you just excused people who follow one side as "not being serious about it", while the other side, which happens to be the side you hate, as being "dipshits". Now do you understand how your biased views work and why people don't take you seriously?

Last edited by Robtard on Oct 24th, 2017 at 09:23 PM

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:16 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well as I said, if you just count the TV sations ABC, NBC and the like with CNN and MSNBN, along with classical newspapers like the NYT and WAPO, then yes, of course, those institutions are left-leaning. Not denying that.

My point is, what is historically considered mainstream doesn't really match with what's popular anymore. Those networks don't get great viewer numbers, and newspapers are a dying industry, despite enjoying a slight bump because of increased interest in Trump. The word "mainstream" generally means what is popular among the general public. And if these channels and papers are less popular than some other things, then it makes sense to consider and question what should be considered mainstream and what shouldn't.

Times are changing, and the way and places people get their news are also changing, so maybe it's time to reconsider what is included when talking about the mainstream media.

Right, and, what percentage of journalists do you feel are conservatives?

I can give you the percentage that identify as republican as recent as 2013, but take a guess first. We'll see how close you come.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:20 PM
BackFire

Right, and, what percentage of journalists do you feel are conservatives?

I can give you the percentage that identify as republican as recent as 2013, but take a guess first. We'll see how close you come.

Well that depends on who you consider a journalist. Do the journalists at Breitbart/Inforwars and the various other conservative websites that get good readership numbers count? Or just the journalists for TV stations or traditional news papers? If we're just counting the latter then yes a significant majority are liberal. If we're counting the former then I have no idea.

For fun, I'll just guess a number of about 85%.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:24 PM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

7 percent out of over 1,000 reporters polled. Full time journalists.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:27 PM
BackFire

Sorry I meant 85% that are liberal, not conservative.

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:27 PM
Robtard
Senor Member

7 percent out of over 1,000 reporters polled. Full time journalists.

But muh polls!

:0

Old Post Oct 24th, 2017 09:28 PM