KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Can you detect bad acting in foreign films?

Can you detect bad acting in foreign films?
Started by: TheVaultDweller

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Can you detect bad acting in foreign films?

I had this discussion with a friend the other day. Basically, the question was, can you (and if so, how easily) tell when there is bad acting in a film that is either in a foreign language or, alternatively, in your native language, but the people have heavy foreign accents.

Because I have noticed that it can sometimes be hard to judge whether an actor's line delivery is just bad, or if they are having problems due to the language, when they have an accent. Or, alternatively, when a scene is in a totally different language, with subtitles, and you basically have to go on body language, expressions etc. it can be hard to tell whether someone is overacting, or phoning in it.

Then again, in some films, it is plainly obvious. Like there are a few Japanese films, especially from earlier eras, where everything is blatantly exaggerated and over-theatrical.

So, can you readily identify these things, or do they just go right past you?

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 03:20 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Upon my most recent viewing of Leon/The Professional, I noticed that Jean Reno mostly succeeds in playing his character Leon as an introverted assassin who learns how to love and interact with a young girl, but sometimes it seemed Reno was trying too much to convey to the audience that his character is a loner and distant from others, all while struggling with the English dialogue.

He's still one of my favorite lone-gunman archetype characters in one of my favorite films ever, and him seeming stilted a few times is probably due to getting more fluent in English, which I remember being more natural in Godzilla 98 onwards.

EDIT: Needed much more clarity.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 05:03 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

They would go right past me, I don't even really watch many foreign movies.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 05:48 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

depends on the type of foreign film

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 08:09 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Yeah, I think when someone has a strong accent in an American film it is hard for them to be convincing as a good actor or actress. Arnold comes to mind. Also Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek.

Old Post Oct 28th, 2017 10:41 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr Will Hatch

It took me some practice, but yes, you definitely can. The language/cultural barrier isn't that strong, and you can generally tell when someone is a good actor and when somebody sucks.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 01:02 AM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

You can definitely tell the evolution of someone's acting. I know action stars aren't the greatest actors, but I can tell that guys like Donnie Yen and Jet Li got much better as their careers went on.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 03:28 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I think when someone has a strong accent in an American film it is hard for them to be convincing as a good actor or actress. Arnold comes to mind. Also Penelope Cruz and Salma Hayek.

I can see Arnold.

I can't think of a movie where Hayek was playing a part that was hard to pull off so her accent didn't matter much to me.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 03:30 AM
socool8520 is currently offline Click here to Send socool8520 a Private Message Find more posts by socool8520 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

I just figure all foreign films are bad.
-shrug-

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 04:26 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

^ I thought the Asian version of Oldboy was better than the Western version honestly.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 04:33 AM
HulkIsHulk

If it's really bad anyone can spot it imo

Thanks for the sig Scot-and for the help with my avatar
When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown but only 4 to reach out and bchslap them upside down on their head

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 09:01 AM
HulkIsHulk is currently offline Click here to Send HulkIsHulk a Private Message Find more posts by HulkIsHulk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

Well, one really obvious example was the last Danny Trejo movie I watched. It wasn't a foreign film, but the lack of quality was obvious despite his accent. I can't even remember what it was, but his acting was really bad. I stopped watching purely because of how terrible it was. Might have been Dead Again in Tombstone, but not sure.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 11:12 AM
TheVaultDweller is currently offline Click here to Send TheVaultDweller a Private Message Find more posts by TheVaultDweller Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
John Murdoch

Originally posted by socool8520
^ I thought the Asian version of Oldboy was better than the Western version honestly.

I even liked Spike Lee's Oldboy, but the original South Korean version is WAY WAY WAY better for sure.

You bring up a really good point with the Hong Kong martial arts action stars: Jet Li, Jackie Chan, and Donnie Yen all have put in good dramatic performances as of late in their filmography. Whether it was Li being a silent, stoic type in the Expendables trilogy, Jackie Chan in Karate Kid 2010 or - from what I've heard on reviews - something recent like The Foreigner, or Yen in blockbuster fare like Rogue One, they can all be standouts in varying genres.

Old Post Oct 29th, 2017 04:45 PM
John Murdoch is currently offline Click here to Send John Murdoch a Private Message Find more posts by John Murdoch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
socool8520
Life's a garden, Dig it

Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Well, one really obvious example was the last Danny Trejo movie I watched. It wasn't a foreign film, but the lack of quality was obvious despite his accent. I can't even remember what it was, but his acting was really bad. I stopped watching purely because of how terrible it was. Might have been Dead Again in Tombstone, but not sure.

Danny Trejo just isn't a good actor. He's basically the Hispanic tough guy/criminal in almost everything. The only time this wasn't as noticeable was in con Air and that's because everyone's acting was shitty. I still like the movie though. lol

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 08:29 AM
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

It was exceptionally bad in that film though. There would be supposedly tense scenes, where he is meant to be having heavy conversations with people, but he might as well have been discussing the contents of a salad for all the expression/emotion he showed.

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 08:35 AM
riv6672

Originally posted by socool8520
Danny Trejo just isn't a good actor. He's basically the Hispanic tough guy/criminal in almost everything.

He was great as Jaguar in RICK & MORTY, with his thick Hispanic accent passing as a thick Russian accent!

Old Post Oct 30th, 2017 09:34 AM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
digiosmosis

Arnold in Batman vs Robin.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:24 AM
digiosmosis is currently offline Click here to Send digiosmosis a Private Message Find more posts by digiosmosis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheVaultDweller
Front line cannon fodder

You mean this? laughing

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:47 AM
riv6672

That was just a bad movie. Universally so.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2017 09:48 AM