KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » TV Talk Forum » The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power

The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power
Started by: Bashar Teg

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Old Man Whirly!
Nah dwarves are not my thing no matter what film evidence you have. I want fantasy a bit more Adult, I am looking forward to the Talisman, but the TV, Salem's lot with David Soul not withstanding always ruins a King Opus.

You dwarfist!

Didn't know Netflix was adapting another Steven King book, will look into it, thanks.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Aug 31st, 2022 03:55 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

who all might watch tomorrow

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 31st, 2022 09:21 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

"The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power First Reviews: 'Bold,' 'Ambitious,' 'Gorgeous,' 'Full of Grandeur,' Critics Say" - RT 8/31/21

I can't wait. My body and butthole are ready. Better not be another WoT.

Old Post Aug 31st, 2022 10:09 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Were you a fan of the books or Jackson's films or both?

Old Post Aug 31st, 2022 10:12 PM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Both

Old Post Aug 31st, 2022 10:52 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

watched both episodes

liked the series premiere way much better than episode 2 but overall i enjoyed this although i've never read or listened to the novels.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2022 03:48 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

It was fine. The visuals were outstanding but the pacing was a bit of a slog. Hopefully, it's because it's a slow burn and that there will be a ton of payoff later on not because it's simply a boring show. Unfortunately, I think it's going to be the later because so far it feels aimless.

I haven't been particularly impressed by any of the acting nor the dialogue and some of the writing was quite sloppy. Probably the worst was Elrond and Celebrimbor talking about going to Khazad-Dum and then in the very next scene they are there, dressed in the same clothes and they presumably walked all the way there by themselves.

As for the changes to the lore, there was one that I take a huge issue with. That is Gil-galad handing out pardons and allowing the elves to return to Valinor like prizes. This is such a fundamental change and it serves almost no purpose. There had to be far easier and better way to get Galadriel on her way to Numenor. There is no need to change such a huge part of the Silmarillion and to make Galadriel act like a retard (what was her plan to swim all the way back to ME? Really?).

And finally: "Looks can be deceiving." *wink*
Laying it a bit thick on there.

Last edited by ares834 on Sep 2nd, 2022 at 04:07 AM

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2022 03:59 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Just watched both, enjoyed it. Has some issues and it’s not serious and political intrigue on a level like GoT, more high adventure fantasy, also far more lighthearted, but it does it well enough in the first two.

Production quality and visuals are WAY up there, make up, costumes, weapons, film locations and CGI, this was not cheap to make and you see that right away.

Arondir, played by a Puerto Rican actor, or the “Black elf” people were losing their minds over when the previews were released, he’s one of the better acted and interesting characters. As is Galadriel.

Last edited by Robtard on Sep 2nd, 2022 at 05:31 AM

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2022 05:28 AM
ares834

Better acted? Interesting?

The actor barely did any acting. Though that's no fault of his, it's because the character so far has been written to be bland and reserved.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2022 06:05 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

The bland was a facade, he's clearly deeper than that, he wants to bed that human woman. Oh the miscegenation!

It could also be that I found several of the other elves kinda plastic-y. Elrond's okay though.

Old Post Sep 2nd, 2022 04:18 PM
Stealth Moose
Umbrella Elite

Haven't seen it yet, because I dread it worse than a root canal, but I did notice something very odd.

IMDB (owned by Amazon naturally) has some low reviews in its weighted score. But surprisingly, not a single user review under 5 is viewable. Not one. I find it extremely unlikely that even people just out to review bomb it would say exactly nothing.

Pretty suspicious behavior on that front.

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2022 06:19 AM
Stealth Moose is currently offline Click here to Send Stealth Moose a Private Message Find more posts by Stealth Moose Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

And yet, despite Amazon's blatant manipulation of the review scores all the articles being written are about how it's being review bombed. It's always funny too how they ***** about review bombing but never note the opposite (review boosting?) and that RoP currently has more 10/10 scores than 1/10.

Last edited by ares834 on Sep 3rd, 2022 at 07:12 PM

Old Post Sep 3rd, 2022 07:06 PM
Old Man Whirly!
Restricted

Account Restricted

Watched 30mins, had enough. Lord of the rings is so boring.

Old Post Sep 4th, 2022 10:13 PM
Old Man Whirly! is currently offline Click here to Send Old Man Whirly! a Private Message Find more posts by Old Man Whirly! Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Todd1700

It's pretty terrible. As I feared it bears little resemblance to any of Tolkien's actual works. Just a few familiar names of people and places sprinkled into it. The actual plot is just newly made up fan fiction. And bad fan fiction at that.

The dialog ranges from CW level mediocrity all the way down to cringeworthy.

Every second the Harfoots are on screen is a second you have to just suffer through.

The guy playing Elrond looks like a twink that should be staring in a film titled "Bathhouse Bottom Bitches IV"

And worst of all is Galadriel. They have taken one of the great epic characters of the Tolkien world and transformed her into a combination of Mary Sue, angry Karen, and Xena Warrior Princess. Going to be a tough go of it when people hate the character you are trying to present as the main hero of the show.

And last but not least it was just straight up boring. And I say that as a Tolkien geek who could just listen to someone read one of his books. These first two episodes were mostly just dull and unengaging. Other than mild upset at each point where they just absolutely raped the lore of Tolkien's second age storylines I felt nothing at all for this epic billion dollar fail.

Old Post Sep 5th, 2022 07:32 AM
Todd1700 is currently offline Click here to Send Todd1700 a Private Message Find more posts by Todd1700 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

So apparently we have some viewership data now.

According to Amazon it had 25 million views worldwide on the first day. Of course, without knowing the methodology they use that number is nearly useless. Even something as simple as does a person watching both episodes count as two views would make a massive difference.

On the other hands, Samba TV released their numbers. While they don't extrapolate to total number of viewers, they do allow for comparisons to other shows. RoP had 1.8 million views in households measured by Samba.

For comparison:
House of the Dragon was 4.8 million
Stanger Things Season 4 was 2.9 million
Moon Knight was 1.8 million
She-Hulk was 1.5 million
Kenobi was 2.14 million
Boog of Boba Fett was 1.5 million

So the numbers would be pretty impressive and good news for nearly any show... But not at all for the most expensive show ever made. If Samba's ratings are accurate, then RoP needs to greatly increase its audience or it will likely drastically reduce its budget going forward.

Old Post Sep 6th, 2022 06:48 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

so what are people crying about now

Old Post Sep 6th, 2022 09:03 PM
jaden_2.0
Awful

Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
so what are people crying about now

Everything.

Old Post Sep 7th, 2022 12:11 AM
jaden_2.0 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden_2.0 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden_2.0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Everything.

figures

Old Post Sep 7th, 2022 03:00 AM
ares834

So a new episode came out and it's the best one yet though it's still merely fine.

Numenor looked amazing. And I was a huge fan of the Orc design. But there were plenty of problems as well...

The Harfoot storyline just flat out sucks. It kills any momentum the show starts to build up whenever it switches over to them.

Galadriel is also awful. They are trying to make her prideful but, instead of proud, she comes across as a petulant teen. She's this ancient elf born who has been raised amongst nobility, monarchs, and even literal gods and she can't manage an attempt at diplomacy with Numenor, not even a thank you for saving her life? It's ridiculous. The excuse is she is "young", but no she's not. She's younger than she is in LotR but she's still thousands of years old by this point and is one of the oldest beings alive in ME, far older than Gil-Galad or Elrond. Then there was that slow-mo horse riding scene... Yeesh. I have no clue how that got past QC.

And finally, the most damning flaw of all, it's just boring.

Old Post Sep 10th, 2022 12:39 AM
Patient_Leech
Ungod

I heard this is SUPER WOKE because they hired some black actors. roll eyes (sarcastic)

OMG BLACK PEOPLE!! IT'S WOKE!!!!!

Old Post Sep 10th, 2022 12:50 AM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote