KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » The new Marvel Cinematic Universe and its future

The new Marvel Cinematic Universe and its future
Started by: BruceSkywalker

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (20): « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 15 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

quote: (post)
Originally posted by quanchi112
You've openly criticized MCU for this and doubt them with the x characters. Why do you think this would be a monopoly ? Explain yourself. Reasoning.

I've criticised the MCU when I felt like their movies weren't up to snuff. I've heaped praise on them when I thought they'd done a good job. I think it's incredibly premature to think they'll make X-Men great. Good, maybe? Sure. But great? Can they do it? Yes. Would they, is the question I ask. Anyone acting like it's a sure thing is being premature imo.

How is it a monopoly? Okay, let's say Disney starts by buying up the movies and TV aspects of Fox, which it looks like they're doing. That means Disney now owns even more tentpole franchises like Alien, for example. Yeah, Covenant was shit, but that's still a reasonably big franchise. Then you have Avatar too. Surefire box-office hit.

Then there's the TV stuff. I don't mind if Disney gets all the Marvel stuff; Marvel should by rights have access to their own properties. They might even fix the Gifted if they don't cancel it outright. But what else would they own? The Simpsons, for one.

And that's just TV and movies. What else is there? How about Murdoch's stake in Hulu? And sure, people will say "Well, Murdoch will still own sports stuff", but what do people really think he's going to do with the billions he gets from Disney? Play nice? I doubt it.

And it doesn't just affect America either. In this part of the world, we have Sky. A juggernaut of a company that provides TV, Movies, Sports (with an insanely large market-share), and News. They're also an ISP. You really think when Murdoch gets his "**** you money" from Disney that he won't try to get an even bigger market share than he has already?

I think it's incredibly naïve to think that Disney, whether by themselves or through Murdoch, won't try to gain even more influence than they have already. They've already been bullying cinemas over what's required of them if they want to show Star Wars. What's to stop them doing it with all the other franchises they own?

If you actually did the reading instead of waving your dick around protesting far too much about how objective you are, you might learn something instead of making baity comments like a jilted ex.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 03:44 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

What characters haven't the MCU in terms of the heroes done correctly. Pick any major hero. Nothing will ever be perfect especially when opinions vary wildly form fan to fan but the general crux of the matter is simple they have built a solid foundation and escalated increased profits and anticipation for their films with a clear overall plan from the beginning.

The only reason this whole cinematic universe became the thing to do was due to the MCU's success. Can they keep it up forever ? Who knows but they are going on ten years and over fifteen movies with a lot of great films and emotional moments to look back on thus far. I think even you'd agree MCU is more trusted than Fox with their characters. Fox wanted to sell off their properties because they don't feel they can compete with the high end movie companies so this isn't like Disney preyed on a weak company. Comcast is right there as well trying to swoop in as well. Disney is taking on Netflix who is a giant in their own right. They want as many shows to be able to adequately challenge Netflix.

I also selfishly want all the marvel characters under Disney. I trust their leadership and want them under one umbrella. Fox already admitted they can't compete so you should cheer them on.

It isn't like its two major pop companies as your only real choices for soft drinks so they won't be a monopoly by any stretch.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 04:02 AM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Hank Pym. Thor in Thor 3. Hawkeye isn't even in them enough for them to treat his character better. Black Widow isn't great either. There's 3 if you want to discard Thor.

And I could talk about villains if you like.

I have no problem with the Marvel characters ALL being at Disney/Marvel. All of them. I'd even like to see them all in the MCU. I've never denied that.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 04:45 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
CPT Space Bomb
Emperor Doom

The MCU isn't perfect...I don't think anyone is trying to say that, I know I'm not. However, they have given us the most quality comic book films of any studio ever, and for the most part they NAILED the casting AND characterization of almost EVERY character. Sure, a few heroes and villains aren't perfect but that's to be expected...Overall the quality is fantastic though and I can't wait to see what they do with the FF Rogues gallery.

So what about my comments made your ass so sore? Was it me calling you a phaggot? I think not." - Nemebro

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 05:52 AM
CPT Space Bomb is currently offline Click here to Send CPT Space Bomb a Private Message Find more posts by CPT Space Bomb Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

About half of the MCU movies are kind of forgetful. I hope Fox has total control, because they make some of the best super hero movies to date. First Class, Deadpool, and Days of Future Past. I don't think Disney will do rates R movies, either.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 06:00 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Zack M
About half of the MCU movies are kind of forgetful. I hope Fox has total control, because they make some of the best super hero movies to date. First Class, Deadpool, and Days of Future Past. I don't think Disney will do rates R movies, either.

Fox still hasn't given us a really good X-Men adaptation. At this point, I don't think they deserve to keep the rights.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 06:04 AM
Senor Cage

I respectfully disagree. I totally forgot about Logan, too.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 06:04 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

All in all, I don't see Disney doing something on the level of Logan or DP.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 06:05 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I respectfully disagree. I totally forgot about Logan, too.

What X-Men movie would you consider to be a good adaptation of the X-Men?

Logan is a solo movie, not a team movie.

Iron Man 1 isn't a good Avengers adaptation, etc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 06:17 AM
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Fox has given some good movies with the X-Men title, just not ‘good X-Men movies’... Passable compared to F4’s treatment, though is not saying much.

The possible Disney monopoly is a legit concern, yeah.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 06:47 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by -Pr-

DOFP

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 08:20 AM
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

DOFP

DOFP was a fine movie, but I wouldn't call it a good adaptation. Magneto and Charles are pretty good in it sure, but it's still very much the Charles/Erik/Raven/Logan show.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 08:24 AM
Darth Thor

First Class is by far the best. Why they wouldn’t keep Vaughn around after that magic boggles my mind.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 08:52 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

Can’t quote anyone here:

@ Pr and Ridley:

I’m personally more worried about this rumoured 25% shareholding of Disney Rupert Murdoch would get.

Of course all Marvel properties should go back to Marvel. They’ve earned themselves that right and the audiences trust. But this is a ridiculously high price just for that.

The reason they’re doing this is for their streaming service to compete with Netflix. So I understand it, and of course it’d be great for Marvel, but there’s bigger legit concerns here.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 08:57 AM
Darth Thor is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Why? Who is that muppet that has you worried so much?

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 12:48 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Yes, it is.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 12:49 PM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Hank Pym. Thor in Thor 3. Hawkeye isn't even in them enough for them to treat his character better. Black Widow isn't great either. There's 3 if you want to discard Thor.

And I could talk about villains if you like.

I have no problem with the Marvel characters ALL being at Disney/Marvel. All of them. I'd even like to see them all in the MCU. I've never denied that.
Not every character is going to get the spotlight and we have seen those characters in supporting roles enough for my taste with another upcoming film. I found Thor 3 to be by FAR the best Thor film. I can see the humor being too much for someone people but rewatch it. It is better on rewatch and it works. The end battle and the Odin inspiration scenes were awesome.

MCU focuses on heroes more so but they have a handful of villains I really enjoyed with the greatest character in all of comics to take center stage.

Well you had reservations about the x characters but it hasn't always been roses for fox anyways but still a moot point since fox admitted they can't compete so give Disney these properties so phase four can integrate them.

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 02:55 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

ah.. the butthurt is strong with people

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 07:15 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Originally posted by Darth Thor
Can’t quote anyone here:

@ Pr and Ridley:

I’m personally more worried about this rumoured 25% shareholding of Disney Rupert Murdoch would get.

Of course all Marvel properties should go back to Marvel. They’ve earned themselves that right and the audiences trust. But this is a ridiculously high price just for that.

The reason they’re doing this is for their streaming service to compete with Netflix. So I understand it, and of course it’d be great for Marvel, but there’s bigger legit concerns here.

I'd be worried about that too.

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Yes, it is.

Can't say I agree, but okay.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Not every character is going to get the spotlight and we have seen those characters in supporting roles enough for my taste with another upcoming film. I found Thor 3 to be by FAR the best Thor film. I can see the humor being too much for someone people but rewatch it. It is better on rewatch and it works. The end battle and the Odin inspiration scenes were awesome.

MCU focuses on heroes more so but they have a handful of villains I really enjoyed with the greatest character in all of comics to take center stage.

Well you had reservations about the x characters but it hasn't always been roses for fox anyways but still a moot point since fox admitted they can't compete so give Disney these properties so phase four can integrate them.

I wasn't talking about spotlight.

I've been saying since I came to this site that Fox has largely been doing X-Men wrong. Literally before you even registered.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

Old Post Dec 8th, 2017 10:07 PM
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

I'd be worried about that too.

Can't say I agree, but okay.

I wasn't talking about spotlight.

I've been saying since I came to this site that Fox has largely been doing X-Men wrong. Literally before you even registered.

the thing is though fox like, marvel, sony and wb know that they have to get the general audience to like these comic book characters

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Dec 9th, 2017 01:45 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote