KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Knife wielding man kicks in door of family's home, but he's no match for dads rifle

Knife wielding man kicks in door of family's home, but he's no match for dads rifle
Started by: Surtur

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (5): « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Scribble
Are you able to own a gun? If so, do you, and if you don't, why not? If you can't own one, why not? Interested to know more about American gun policy.

Biggest determining factor for carry on's is where you live. District of Columbia, New York City, or Chicago and you can pretty forget about owning a carry and conceal permit. In somewhere like Vermont, you might own 40 guns and sleep with one under your pillow (Knew a guy who did this..)

Next factor is criminal record.. For example, if you don't have a permit and fire a handgun, even if you get off on an AA (Accelerate rehabilitation) which acts as a one time "get out of jail free" card and wipes your record, you still won't be permitted to ever own a gun (Unsure if it's that state, or anywhere. As we're talking a federal crime being required, I'd guess no guns period in the US..)

Long barrel guns strictly for home defense are a different story, and also for hunting and such, because you can't exactly stick one under your shirt or easily carry it around.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:23 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

Originally posted by Surtur
I can own a gun. I do not have one, but I am thinking about getting one. My aunt owns guns and this upcoming Thanksgiving I'm going to be testing some out there.

I haven't gotten one yet because I guess I thought I didn't need it, I told myself this neighborhood was bad, but there were worse places in Chicago. That is still true, but not a good enough reason to stay vulnerable.
If you have physical issues, owning one is probably a smart idea. Home invasion scares the shit out of me, but even in London we don't have much of an issue with it. Even if someone did break in, they'd probably get scared off by my dog. But in America, the level of violence is much higher, the threat much higher too. So for you, owning a gun is probably the best idea.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:25 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

This is true, doesn't change the situation though.

It is just sad how everything sets them off here. Saying something as simple and true as "thank god he had that gun or it would have been worse" somehow flips a switch in the brains of people to make them think this is a call to defend their anti-gun stance lol. Like I personally shoved a hot poker in their eye by acknowledging in this scenario things would have been worse if he wasn't armed.

I just can't take it seriously lol. Not when something that shouldn't be controversial is suddenly seen as such.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:26 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

This is true, doesn't change the situation though.

not the situation of the article, but if a thread's topic is tainted by narrative, it should be pointed out and scrutinized.

not only does it imply that having a gun equals always having upper hand, but also some underlying assumption that this is a typical home invasion that everyone should be prepared for with firearms, when it's actually atypical. so in this scenario, it worked out. in most scenarios, people rob you when you're not home and probably are unarmed because they were watching you for days and know that nobody's home.

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:29 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you have physical issues, owning one is probably a smart idea. Home invasion scares the shit out of me, but even in London we don't have much of an issue with it. Even if someone did break in, they'd probably get scared off by my dog. But in America, the level of violence is much higher, the threat much higher too. So for you, owning a gun is probably the best idea.

Indeed, and it's why if it's gun vs gun or knife vs knife...my best option is still gun vs gun.

And now you could also say the same about : most women and most elderly folk.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:29 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
not the situation of the article, but if a thread's topic is tainted by narrative, it should be pointed out and scrutinized.

not only does it imply that having a gun equals always having upper hand, but also some underlying assumption that this is a typical home invasion that everyone should be prepared for with firearms, when it's actually atypical. so in this scenario, it worked out. in most scenarios, people rob you when you're not home and probably are unarmed because they were watching you for days and know that nobody's home.

Lol no, these are the assumptions YOU make to justify your own responses. I never said a gun always means the upper hand.

I think more people here are starting to see how you pull BS like this lol. You literally invented a narrative here. All the while *you* are telling someone else what I did or did not truly mean to imply, lol.

If saying "thank god he was armed" taints a topic about a guy saving his family with a gun...that's just lunacy lol.

Last edited by Surtur on Nov 9th, 2017 at 02:32 AM

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:30 AM
Scribble

Originally posted by cdtm
Biggest determining factor for carry on's is where you live. District of Columbia, New York City, or Chicago and you can pretty forget about owning a carry and conceal permit. In somewhere like Vermont, you might own 40 guns and sleep with one under your pillow (Knew a guy who did this..)

Next factor is criminal record.. For example, if you don't have a permit and fire a handgun, even if you get off on an AA (Accelerate rehabilitation) which acts as a one time "get out of jail free" card and wipes your record, you still won't be permitted to ever own a gun (Unsure if it's that state, or anywhere. As we're talking a federal crime being required, I'd guess no guns period in the US..)

Long barrel guns strictly for home defense are a different story, and also for hunting and such, because you can't exactly stick one under your shirt or easily carry it around.
Interesting info, cheers man. It does seem from this that the laws are pretty strict, then? Much stricter than we're lead to believe.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:31 AM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

It is just sad how everything sets them off here. Saying something as simple and true as "thank god he had that gun or it would have been worse" somehow flips a switch in the brains of people to make them think this is a call to defend their anti-gun stance lol. Like I personally shoved a hot poker in their eye by acknowledging in this scenario things would have been worse if he wasn't armed.

I just can't take it seriously lol. Not when something that shouldn't be controversial is suddenly seen as such.

Interesting thing I noticed:

Israeli's are some of the most pro gun ownership people on the planet. They're like poster boys for the NRA.

American Jews are generally anti gun ownership, espcially in the cities.

Not sure why this is.. Maybe because in the case of a united country, guns keep them alive, while in a city even if all jewish people unified with guns against the anti semites of a city, they'd be swamped by sheer numbers? So, in that case argue for no guns for anybody?

Just a guess, I dunno what it could really be.

Never let anyone else define you. Don't be a jerk just to be a jerk, but if you are expressing your true inner feelings and beliefs, or at least trying to express that inner child, and everyone gets pissed off about it, never NEVER apologize for it. Let them think what they want, let them define you in their narrow little minds while they suppress every last piece of them just to keep a friend that never liked them for themselves in the first place.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:31 AM
cdtm is currently offline Click here to Send cdtm a Private Message Find more posts by cdtm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

I don't know why it's so hard for you to admit that this scenario could've been so much worse if the intruder had a gun...

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:32 AM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Firefly218
I don't know why it's so hard for you to admit that this scenario could've been so much worse if the intruder had a gun...

But...I did. I said before: one true thing does not negate another true thing.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:33 AM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

But...I did. I said before: one true thing does not negate another true thing.

good, so we agree that the "be prepared for this specific situation and get a rifle like dad" narrative is kinda dumb. THANK GOD

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:34 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scribble

If you made all guns illegal in the US, then the chances of the person breaking and entering (a criminal) having a gun wouldn't go down as much of the chance of the person in the home (a law-abiding citizen) having a gun. Which would be a lot more dangerous a situation.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:35 AM
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

good, so we agree that the "be prepared for this specific situation and get a rifle like dad" narrative is kinda dumb. THANK GOD

^^Again, I said thank god this man had a rifle because it allowed him to protect his family. You are throwing a fit over that. It's not dumb for me to say it is good this man had a firearm. You are either trolling or a lunatic lol.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:36 AM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

The violence is more likely to escalate with guns. Guns depersonalize killing, all you gotta do is pull a trigger. The likelihood that violence occurs is MUCH higher if everyone has guns.

Psychologically, using a knife is more personal. Knives are intimate violence and you must have agency to use one. Everyone armed with knives is less likely to result in violence.

(please log in to view the image)

I think you're underestimating just how bloodthirsty some people are.

Unfortunately, where you or I might be repulsed at the idea, someone else might get excited.. (If you're breaking into someone's home and carrying in a knife, and making threats, I'd assume you're likely the latter..)

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:41 AM
Rockydonovang
freedom fighter

a knife is way harder to kill with than a gun.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:46 AM
Rockydonovang is currently offline Click here to Send Rockydonovang a Private Message Find more posts by Rockydonovang Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

Sure, but he's saying psychologically they're harder to use.

Not if you're a sadistic monster, they're not. Like a thug with a knife breaking into your home and making threats might be.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:50 AM
Firefly218
Restricted

Account Restricted

If you made all guns illegal in the US, then the chances of the person breaking and entering (a criminal) having a gun wouldn't go down as much of the chance of the person in the home (a law-abiding citizen) having a gun. Which would be a lot more dangerous a situation.
Who said make all guns illegal? I didn’t say that’s necessary or even feasible. How about just doing our best to prevent criminals from having access to guns?

Most gun violence is committed by people who legally purchased the firearm. Even a modest effort to prevent gun sales to these dangerous/unstable people could lower the amount of criminals with guns. If it saves the lives of even 1 family wouldn’t you say it’s worth the inconvenience?

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:29 PM
Firefly218 is currently offline Click here to Send Firefly218 a Private Message Find more posts by Firefly218 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

if i was paranoid over knife wielding home invaders, i'd sooner have a machete or katana. something that simply cannot be reasoned away as "probably fake", "he's just bluffing", "i bet it's not loaded". something that i dont have to go through a process of unlocking a case and loading bullets, while the knife-weilder presumably remains courteous and waits for me to finish.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 02:46 PM
cdtm
Restricted

Account Restricted

if i was paranoid over knife wielding home invaders, i'd sooner have a machete or katana. something that simply cannot be reasoned away as "probably fake", "he's just bluffing", "i bet it's not loaded". something that i dont have to go through a process of unlocking a case and loading bullets, while the knife-weilder presumably remains courteous and waits for me to finish.

Better off with a bat, if you want visable.

Much harder to avoid/knock away/block.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 03:01 PM
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Originally posted by cdtm
Better off with a bat, if you want visable.

Much harder to avoid/knock away/block.

i think a large blade is way more scary than a bat. imho the goal should be to make them rethink their actions and gtfo.

Old Post Nov 9th, 2017 03:05 PM